HD STB Shoot out

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called Herrman at the Chatswood Retravision store (he said other people have called, too). He said the $430 Ausid box was sold WITH a Fujitsu plasma TV. He said the best he could do for a stand-alone price on the Ausid is $649. Anybody else got another recommendation for a store?

I called Herrman  at the Chatswood Retravision store (he said other people have called, too).  He said the $430 Ausid box was sold WITH a Fujitsu plasma TV.  He said the best he could do for a stand-alone price on the Ausid is $649.  Anybody else got another recommendation for a store?

Yeah I think he was the one I spoke to yesterday - kinda of Asian speaking voice (please I am not being racist), but he said $699.

Like I said, you have to track down the person you spoke to and get the other members on to him. Problem in this case was the fact we weren't told about the "extra sale".

Retravision Chatswood Information. I spoke to the supervisor Hermann yesterday about picking up an AUSID STB. He said he would check to see if they had any in stock. I never heard back from him despite leaving another message later that day. (Perhaps he had made his sales budget for the month)

I called again this morning and Hermann was not in. I spoke to another sales guy who said the AUSID is only $429 if purchased with a Fujitsu plasma display. Otherwise, I would have to fork out $799 if buying the AUSID on its own.

Cheers,

Simon

Well I'll be buggered if I can find one where I live in Mackay, and more importnatly in Qld.

As such would any members here who got them at good prices be interested in buying me one if I DD you some money and arrange a courier pickup?  Or contact the store directly - some stores don't like it and it may prove a problem.

Hi Chrissara,

I am using AUSID STB with Fujitsu and am very happy. I have bought most of my HT gear from AV Design in TVL and also very happy with their service. They do have a stock of AUSID box. Ring Nathan/Neil (07) 4772 3470.

Good luck..

Where can I contact James? I may have to buy one through him as well.

Cheers,

Simon

On the first page there is reference to James at Betta Electrical at (Mitchubury?). Call 1223 for the number.

Anyway I telephone the store and ask to speak to him. He asked if I was referred to him from the DBA forums and i said yes. He then told me $540.

Yeah I think he was the one I spoke to yesterday - kinda of Asian speaking voice (please I am not being racist), but he said $699.

Like I said, you have to track down the person you spoke to and get the other members on to him.  Problem in this case was the fact we weren't told about the "extra sale".

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify that I did not buy anything else with the AUSID to get that price. However in my original post about this price, I did say that the salesman told me that he had a few left over from people who had purchased the panels and didn't want the AUSID.

Another member, "Night Owl" also picked one up on it's own for a similar price as seen in this post.

All I can suggest is that Fujitsu must offer the retailers special package pricing which some of the retailers were savvy enough to use to order excess stock each time they ordered a panel. They were then able to offer the STB's at very sharp prices to buyers such as myself.

My apologies - nothing I hate more than a saleperson trying to sell something at one and a half time the price they sell it to another for.

You are quite correct though. I spoke to AUSID last week chasing up a retailer in Qld. The fellow I spoke to wasn't in that department and said he would get them to give me a call back (still haven't). However he did say that he thought they were bundled only with the Fujistu screens and weren't sold separately.

On the first page there is reference to James at Betta Electrical at (Mitchubury?).  Call 1223 for the number.

Anyway I telephone the store and ask to speak to him.  He asked if I was referred to him from the DBA forums and i said yes.  He then told me $540.

$540 at Betta Electrical at Minchinbury is the go then - if not also buying a plasma.

I won't shop at Retravision again.

Oh... and thanks Chrissara.

Steady on, it's just a STB  :P

well said nobby.

This is coming from someone who already owns one and is sitting here all smug. :blink: hmmmm I wonder what price I could get for a calibrated 42" US model with an AUSID at the moment?!? :ph34r:

I was just kiddding, no PM's please!!

Hi guys

Sorry this has taken so long to put together but I have been suffering with a cold and soon as I get home I flake it.

I am currently evaluating the new HD STB box from AUSID built for Fujitsu Australia which I must say has been a pleasure to use.

Ok here is the break down on the box itself

The box is unlike any other box on the market in the was of its design there is not fancy LED display on this box it is a plain looking Stainless Steel box. The box can be hidden from view or placed in its cradle then hidden behind the plasma when wall mounted.

This unit is solid and the build quality if more like a commercial unit would be rather than you average domestic model, The box is operated by a RF remote and is fitted with a RF antenna but has the option of a plug in IR sensor.

The remote control is your average remote but has all the functions of the Fujitsu displays on the remote so here it’s evident that this unit was designed for the Fujitsu displays.

Connection is as follows

Composite

SVID

Component

RS-232

Coax Audio

Yes I know some of you will be saying “No DVI or HDMI” but please read on.

From what I have been told is that all other SD and HD STB’s on the market use a modified VCR tuner where the AUSID us a purpose built HD tuner on this box.

The circuit board on this box has been RF shielded to the crap house minimising RF interference within the box and inturn the PQ also benefits from this.

I will provide more Technical details once I have them at hand.

So how does she handle?

Setup on this box is as easy as it gets I set it up once and reset to default then asked the misses to set it up from scratch which she did with no drama’s

As mentioned earlier this box is connected via component to the Fujitsu P50XHA40US, which at first concerned me as we all know component cannot compete with DVI or HDMI video connection.

My concerns were gone as soon as I seen the PQ of this box there is no difference I can see between the this box via component to the Teac or LG via DVI the PQ is fantastic.

No rather than a traditional shoot out of each box side by side as we have just covered the PQ is almost identical between the three of them lets look at how each of these handle the everyday FTA TV viewing.

My biggest issue with STB’s has been pixelisation on fast moving objects, Banding and solarisation

Now owning the Teac for as long as I have I know this thing pixelises fairly bad on fast moving objects and one of the best tests I can give the unit is CSI on every scene with fast movement I would get pixel break up.

The LG was pretty much the same as the Teac breaking up on fast movement and both are susceptible to banding and solarisation with the LG being to a lesser degree of solarisation.

Running the AUSID in the same scenario produced almost no Pixelisation or Solarisation and no banding which has freaked me out.

The biggest test for me was watching the footy on Saturday via the LG and Teac I would get the shits within 10 minutes and change the channel but I watched the whole game via the AUDIS with out a fault.

To put this into perspective here are some figures

Lack or Pixelisation

AUSID 98

Teac 60

LG 60

Lack of Solarisation

AUSID 90

Teac 60

LG 75

Lack of banding

AUSID 99

Teac 60

LG 60

Clarity of PQ

AUSID 90

Teac 90

LG  90

The menu system of the AUSID is not as pretty as the LG or Teac but damn I personally don’t give  a damn the menu to me makes up 5% of the overall STB .

For people that live in fringe areas that are finding it hard to get a good reception this is the box  for you! The tuner in this box is ultra high in the sensitivity stakes. This box has worked well in areas whee other would not like country Victoria and this is not claim that I wanted to test myself.

My Sisters in-laws own a place up in Kyneton Victoria and have never been able to get a stable reception via a SD or HD STB.

I took the AUSID up these on Sunday and set the unit up on a NEC XR4W and without a word of lie within 5 minutes they were getting crystal clear reception this blew my mind seriously as I have had all my boxes up there and none worked.

I am going to close off here for now for some further testing but I will make a claim here and now

“I have found the holly grail as far as Non PVR HD STB’s go and will be kissing the Teac and LG good bye”

This box will work with any display at all but especially suited to the Fujitsu Plasma range due to its dedicated display buttons on the remote

Hi Glenncol,

I am so glad I came across this post. I was just about to buy a HD STB and was about to buy a sony DSTHD100 but after reading this I think I'll get the AUSID!

I have a SONY CRT KVHR32M31 with no dvi or HDMI outputs. Do you think the AUSID will suit this TV. Currently I have a panasonic DMRE85H dvd recorder so I don't need a PVR. Do you see any problems with this configuration?

I also live in Kyneton and your post was most enlightening in regards to reception.

Can you suggest a retailer in either Melbourne or Bendigo that may stock the AUSID HD-D1?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie with this technology,

Regards,

Rava

Hi Glenncol,

I am so glad I came across this post.  I was just about to buy a HD STB and was about to buy a sony DSTHD100 but after reading this I think I'll get the AUSID!

I have a SONY CRT KVHR32M31 with no dvi or HDMI outputs.  Do you think the AUSID will suit this TV.  Currently I have a panasonic DMRE85H dvd recorder so I don't need a PVR.  Do you see any problems with this configuration?

I also live in Kyneton and your post was most enlightening in regards to reception.

Can you suggest a retailer in either Melbourne or Bendigo that may stock the AUSID HD-D1?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie with this technology,

Regards,

Rava

Hey Rava

The main people i know what are selling the box in Melb would be Mega and Retravision stores so i would let your fingers do th walking quoting prices from here.

The AUSID is connected via Component so i would ask if you have a spare component connection?

If so it will be a match made in heaven

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify that I did not buy anything else with the AUSID to get that price. However in my original post about this price, I did say that the salesman told me that he had a few left over from people who had purchased the panels and didn't want the AUSID.

Another member, "Night Owl" also picked one up on it's own for a similar price as seen in this post.

All I can suggest is that Fujitsu must offer the retailers special package pricing which some of the retailers were savvy enough to use to order excess stock each time they ordered a panel.  They were then able to offer the STB's at very sharp prices to buyers such as myself.

I just picked mine up today after paying for it last week and the salesman said i was very very lucky to get it for 430 as they were no longer doing that price as a stand alone unit.He said he had also received many calls regarding this box in the last few days.

Anyhow look forward to seeing it in action and a special thanks to Forghorn for his posting which enabled me to get such a good price. :blink::P

That was the only thing that concerned me about this STB - no DVI, only component, and of course my first issue was PQ.

However after hearing from Glenncol and another from a person whom I consider to be a brilliant technician, the AUSID is an extremely good unit via its component output. A bit like the Panasonic S97 which has superb image from its component output.

It appears when making this unit, the focus was more of sourcing quality components and opposed to features. That is why certain outputs like optical, DVI are missing.

Without getting technical and as was said by Glenncol right at the start, it is the only STB on the market (as far as I am aware in Australia) with a dedicated HD tuner that is Sys13 compliant as opposed to the common Sys22.

Sys 22 is more VGA quality. Sys13 reduces more RF noise across the motherboard, has less MPEG issues and less solarization concerns.

Edit: Sys13 is also the correct standard for HDTV. Added advantage is less pixelation.

Hey Rava

The main people i know what are selling the box in Melb would be Mega and Retravision stores so i would let your fingers do th walking quoting prices from here.

The AUSID is connected via Component so i would ask if you have a spare component connection?

If so it will be a match made in heaven

Glenncol,

I rang retravision and Mega mart in Melbourne, retravision had never heard of either an AUSID HDD1 or Fujitsu STB and Mega Mart had heard of the one bundled with the Fujitsu plasma but quoted $1,099 for the STB. Are you aware of any specific stores offering $500 or less?

BTW I do believe my KVHR2M31 has an additional component outlet, so if I can only find a AUSID HDD1 for the right price I'll be stoked...LOL

Thanks again for your help,

Rava

Glenncol,

I rang retravision and Mega mart in Melbourne, retravision had never heard of either an AUSID HDD1 or Fujitsu STB and Mega Mart had heard of the one bundled with the Fujitsu plasma but quoted $1,099 for the STB.  Are you aware of any specific stores offering $500 or less?

BTW I do believe my KVHR2M31 has an additional component outlet, so if I can only find a AUSID HDD1 for the right price I'll be stoked...LOL

Thanks again for your help,

Rava

Mate i have not been on the hunt for a box in Melb maybe one of the Melb guys can point you in the right direction

Hi guys

Sorry this has taken so long to put together but I have been suffering with a cold and soon as I get home I flake it.

I am currently evaluating the new HD STB box from AUSID built for Fujitsu Australia which I must say has been a pleasure to use.

Ok here is the break down on the box itself

The box is unlike any other box on the market in the was of its design there is not fancy LED display on this box it is a plain looking Stainless Steel box. The box can be hidden from view or placed in its cradle then hidden behind the plasma when wall mounted.

This unit is solid and the build quality if more like a commercial unit would be rather than you average domestic model, The box is operated by a RF remote and is fitted with a RF antenna but has the option of a plug in IR sensor.

The remote control is your average remote but has all the functions of the Fujitsu displays on the remote so here it’s evident that this unit was designed for the Fujitsu displays.

Connection is as follows

Composite

SVID

Component

RS-232

Coax Audio

Yes I know some of you will be saying “No DVI or HDMI” but please read on.

From what I have been told is that all other SD and HD STB’s on the market use a modified VCR tuner where the AUSID us a purpose built HD tuner on this box.

The circuit board on this box has been RF shielded to the crap house minimising RF interference within the box and inturn the PQ also benefits from this.

I will provide more Technical details once I have them at hand.

So how does she handle?

Setup on this box is as easy as it gets I set it up once and reset to default then asked the misses to set it up from scratch which she did with no drama’s

As mentioned earlier this box is connected via component to the Fujitsu P50XHA40US, which at first concerned me as we all know component cannot compete with DVI or HDMI video connection.

My concerns were gone as soon as I seen the PQ of this box there is no difference I can see between the this box via component to the Teac or LG via DVI the PQ is fantastic.

No rather than a traditional shoot out of each box side by side as we have just covered the PQ is almost identical between the three of them lets look at how each of these handle the everyday FTA TV viewing.

My biggest issue with STB’s has been pixelisation on fast moving objects, Banding and solarisation

Now owning the Teac for as long as I have I know this thing pixelises fairly bad on fast moving objects and one of the best tests I can give the unit is CSI on every scene with fast movement I would get pixel break up.

The LG was pretty much the same as the Teac breaking up on fast movement and both are susceptible to banding and solarisation with the LG being to a lesser degree of solarisation.

Running the AUSID in the same scenario produced almost no Pixelisation or Solarisation and no banding which has freaked me out.

The biggest test for me was watching the footy on Saturday via the LG and Teac I would get the shits within 10 minutes and change the channel but I watched the whole game via the AUDIS with out a fault.

To put this into perspective here are some figures

Lack or Pixelisation

AUSID 98

Teac 60

LG 60

Lack of Solarisation

AUSID 90

Teac 60

LG 75

Lack of banding

AUSID 99

Teac 60

LG 60

Clarity of PQ

AUSID 90

Teac 90

LG  90

The menu system of the AUSID is not as pretty as the LG or Teac but damn I personally don’t give  a damn the menu to me makes up 5% of the overall STB .

For people that live in fringe areas that are finding it hard to get a good reception this is the box  for you! The tuner in this box is ultra high in the sensitivity stakes. This box has worked well in areas whee other would not like country Victoria and this is not claim that I wanted to test myself.

My Sisters in-laws own a place up in Kyneton Victoria and have never been able to get a stable reception via a SD or HD STB.

I took the AUSID up these on Sunday and set the unit up on a NEC XR4W and without a word of lie within 5 minutes they were getting crystal clear reception this blew my mind seriously as I have had all my boxes up there and none worked.

I am going to close off here for now for some further testing but I will make a claim here and now

“I have found the holly grail as far as Non PVR HD STB’s go and will be kissing the Teac and LG good bye”

This box will work with any display at all but especially suited to the Fujitsu Plasma range due to its dedicated display buttons on the remote

Thanks anyway Glenncol.

Is there anyone that knows where a AUSID HDD1 can be bought for a good price in Melbourne or Bendigo. I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Rava

That was the only thing that concerned me about this STB - no DVI, only component, and of course my first issue was PQ.

However after hearing from Glenncol and another from a person whom I consider to be a brilliant technician, the AUSID is an extremely good unit via its component output.  A  bit like the Panasonic S97 which has superb image from its component output.

It appears when making this unit, the focus was more of sourcing quality components and opposed to features.  That is why certain outputs like optical, DVI are missing.

Without getting technical and as was said by Glenncol right at the start, it is the only STB on the market (as far as I am aware in Australia)  with a dedicated HD tuner that is Sys13 compliant as opposed to the common Sys22.

Sys 22 is more VGA quality.  Sys13  reduces more RF noise across the motherboard, has less MPEG issues and less solarization concerns.

Edit: Sys13 is also the correct standard for HDTV.  Added advantage is less pixelation.