HD STB Shoot out

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. I was just about to buy a Sony DSTHD100 until I saw this thread. I assume the AUSID is a superior unit to the Sony.

My only question is where I can buy one and how much should I pay? I live in Epping in Sydney.

Cheers guys,

Simon

P.S It will be used on a NEC VR5 plasma with component leads.

Hi guys. I was just about to buy a Sony DSTHD100 until I saw this thread. I assume the AUSID is a superior unit to the Sony.

My only question is where I can buy one and how much should I pay? I live in Epping in Sydney.

Cheers guys,

Simon

P.S It will be used on a NEC VR5 plasma with component leads.

I must admit i have not spent a heap of time looking at the Sony but can safely say the AUSID is a lot better from what i have seen of the Sony.

People are currently gabing the AUSID's at arpund the $420 to $450 mark but i cant help you on retailers in Sydney you may want to ask Foghorn17

I must admit i have not spent a heap of time looking at the Sony but can safely say the AUSID is a lot better from what i have seen of the Sony.

People are currently gabing the AUSID's at arpund the $420 to $450 mark but i cant help you on retailers in Sydney you may want to ask Foghorn17

Thank you glenncol for the fast reply. I shall see if I can reach Foghorn17 and ask where I can obtain the AUSID. $420-$450 sounds ideal !!

Cheers,

Simon

Well I'll be buggered if I can find one where I live in Mackay, and more importnatly in Qld.

As such would any members here who got them at good prices be interested in buying me one if I DD you some money and arrange a courier pickup? Or contact the store directly - some stores don't like it and it may prove a problem.

Guest muffburger
Well I'll be buggered if I can find one where I live in Mackay, and more importnatly in Qld.

As such would any members here who got them at good prices be interested in buying me one if I DD you some money and arrange a courier pickup?  Or contact the store directly - some stores don't like it and it may prove a problem.

Im in adelaide , i just rang betta electrical at minchinbury NSW and they got me to direct debit into their account $540 plus $20 delivery to adelaide. Easy!

As such would any members here who got them at good prices be interested in buying me one if I DD you some money and arrange a courier pickup?  Or contact the store directly - some stores don't like it and it may prove a problem.

Just paid $545 + $20 postage to Harvey Norman Indooropilly via Bank card

Delivered to Gladstone

Just getting FTA digital in our area so I'm new to the STB topic. Did I understand correctly that the only digital sound output on the AUSID is coax? My receiver only has an optical input. I don't suppose there's an inexpensive converter.

Just getting FTA digital in our area so I'm new to the STB topic.  Did I understand correctly that the only digital sound output on the AUSID is coax?  My receiver only has an optical input.  I don't suppose there's an inexpensive converter.

Yes, you're right Cardwell. Coax is the only digital output.

However, given that there is next to zero DD5.1 FTA transmission, you will probably find that the stereo RCA connectors are sufficient.

Just getting FTA digital in our area so I'm new to the STB topic.  Did I understand correctly that the only digital sound output on the AUSID is coax?  My receiver only has an optical input.  I don't suppose there's an inexpensive converter.

a converter will cost you about $40 from Jaycar...

i dont know if the AUSID only has coax - but someone else will be able to answer that.

Matt E

Thanks for the replies. That answers my questions. I think I'll go ahead with the AUSID, then. I won't worry about the digital sound output for now and if there's more digital sound offerings in the future, I can get an adapter.

What is surprising to me, after reading 25 or so of the latest threads under HD/SD Set Top Box Receivers, is that you are all so excited about this AUSID box. STD's have been out for a long time. It seems unbelievable that the bugs are just getting worked out. There should be LOTS of great choices instead of just one and yet you all seem to agree that this box is a huge improvement.

I think Retravision at Chatswood was mentioned somewhere for around $460 !

cheers laurie

Ha! Good luck. I rang them from Mackay and was told $799!!! I know from experience it is better to get the person that got it at that price to find the same saleperson and rebuy it

Didn't bother having an argument. Like I posted earlier, I am more than happy to DD some money into a member's account if they could get me one at that price. Hell I would even throw in $50 as commission!!

Jaycar have the converters. I'm thinking $40 approx. About twice the size of a matchbox, uses a plug pack.

Cheers

JB

(edit - Whoops, matte beat me to it.)