HD STB Shoot out

I saw this box today on the 50" Fujitsu and was very impressed. But I was also impressed with the Fujitsu plasma. So I'd probably need to see the AUSID either on another panel, or another box connected to the Fujitsu to decide if I should go the AUSID and not a HD-STB PVR.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this box today on the 50" Fujitsu and was very impressed.  But I was also impressed with the Fujitsu plasma.  So I'd probably need to see the AUSID either on another panel, or another box connected to the Fujitsu to decide if I should go the AUSID and not a HD-STB PVR.

Where can I get one of these boxes?, I went to megamart @ casula but they didn't have them.

Noddy

I saw this box today on the 50" Fujitsu and was very impressed.  But I was also impressed with the Fujitsu plasma.  So I'd probably need to see the AUSID either on another panel, or another box connected to the Fujitsu to decide if I should go the AUSID and not a HD-STB PVR.

Where can I get one of these boxes?, I went to megamart @ casula but they didn't have them.

Noddy

Most mega marts should have them

Bing Lee Alexandria has them.

Regards

Paul

Noddy

After picking up one of the AUSID's today, I have to say that I too am very impressed for the following reasons:

- Build quality is 1st class. It comes with all the cables that you need, and not the usual crappy cables either, but half-decent ones at that. Cables included are component, RCA audio, RF (antenna) with 2 M/F adapters.

- The instructions are very clear and well presented with heaps of pictures. If you're using it with a Fujitsu panel, it is like the equivalent of having a Digital TV for Dummies book.

- Mounting it to the back of my panel took some ingenuity (I'll give details later), but I really like the fact that it sits behind the panel because there's fewer cables going into the rats nest behind my equipment cabinet.

- The RF remote is a bit of a bonus for a product in this price range, though I will need to purchase the optional IR detector when I finally get the Logitech Harmony remote.

- The PQ is everything glenncol said. I saw the slightest hint of solarisation when watching Denton tonight, but my wife couldn't pick it out. It really shines when watching poorer quality broadcasts.

- I miss the Teac's ability to hide unwanted channels. You have to cycle through a list of favourites on the AUSID, or select one from the favourites list. I might have to put a sticker next to the FAV button on the remote as it's a little difficult to find.

- It has teletext and PIP (but you need to feed it input from another device with a tuner).

- I love the integrated remote for both the Fuji panel and the AUSID, it's almost wife-proof :ph34r:

There is no doubt that this is a classy piece of equipment, it is well thought out right down to the caddy that let's you mount it to the back of the panel. Speaking of which, here's how I mounted it for those of you who have just taped it to the back of the panel... you know who you are!!

1. You will need to 6 mm x 50-100mm bolts (I used 6mm x 100mm dynabolts with the sheath removed) and 4 matching nuts.

2. I had a 5mm x 30mm aluminium bar lying around, but any aluminium angle should do the trick.

3. Cut the aluminium bar to a length of 720mm. Drill 2 holes 660mm apart in the aluminium bar (30mm in from each side).

4. Thread the first nut onto the bolt as far as it will go. Do this for both bolts.

5. Push the bolts through the holes you just drilled in the aluminium bar.

6. Thread the 2nd nut onto the bolt, but leave it loose. Do this for both ends.

7. Now insert the bolts and bar into the screw holes in the back of your panel that are designed for the wall mounts, and tighten.

8. You should now have a sturdy rail for which to hang the caddy on, and it's very easy to access and remove as required.

So, how do I rate the AUSID against the Teac? Well I thought the Teac was a 7 out of 10, so the AUSID is probably a 9/10. If you buy a Fujitsu panel, this STB is an absolute must. I'd be interested to see how it goes on other panels, though I have no reason to believe that it won't be equally impressive.

After picking up one of the AUSID's today, I have to say that I too am very impressed for the following reasons:

- Build quality is 1st class. It comes with all the cables that you need, and not the usual crappy cables either, but half-decent ones at that. Cables included are component, RCA audio, RF (antenna) with 2 M/F adapters.

- The instructions are very clear and well presented with heaps of pictures. If you're using it with a Fujitsu panel, it is like the equivalent of having a Digital TV for Dummies book.

- Mounting it to the back of my panel took some ingenuity (I'll give details later), but I really like the fact that it sits behind the panel because there's fewer cables going into the rats nest behind my equipment cabinet.

- The RF remote is a bit of a bonus for a product in this price range, though I will need to purchase the optional IR detector when I finally get the Logitech Harmony remote.

- The PQ is everything glenncol said. I saw the slightest hint of solarisation when watching Denton tonight, but my wife couldn't pick it out. It really shines when watching poorer quality broadcasts.

- I miss the Teac's ability to hide unwanted channels. You have to cycle through a list of favourites on the AUSID, or select one from the favourites list. I might have to put a sticker next to the FAV button on the remote as it's a little difficult to find.

- It has teletext and PIP (but you need to feed it input from another device with a tuner).

- I love the integrated remote for both the Fuji panel and the AUSID, it's almost wife-proof :ph34r:

There is no doubt that this is a classy piece of equipment, it is well thought out right down to the caddy that let's you mount it to the back of the panel. Speaking of which, here's how I mounted it for those of you who have just taped it to the back of the panel... you know who you are!!

1. You will need to 6 mm x 50-100mm bolts (I used 6mm x 100mm dynabolts with the sheath removed) and 4 matching nuts.

2. I had a 5mm x 30mm aluminium bar lying around, but any aluminium angle should do the trick.

3. Cut the aluminium bar to a length of 720mm. Drill 2 holes 660mm apart in the aluminium bar (30mm in from each side).

4. Thread the first nut onto the bolt as far as it will go. Do this for both bolts.

5. Push the bolts through the holes you just drilled in the aluminium bar.

6. Thread the 2nd nut onto the bolt, but leave it loose. Do this for both ends.

7. Now insert the bolts and bar into the screw holes in the back of your panel that are designed for the wall mounts, and tighten.

8. You should now have a sturdy rail for which to hang the caddy on, and it's very easy to access and remove as required.

So, how do I rate the AUSID against the Teac? Well I thought the Teac was a 7 out of 10, so the AUSID is probably a 9/10. If you buy a Fujitsu panel, this STB is an absolute must. I'd be interested to see how it goes on other panels, though I have no reason to believe that it won't be equally impressive.

Yep she's a cool bit of kit

Hey Foggy

I have tried the AUSID out on the following panels.

NEC XR4W 50"

Pioneer 505

Hitachi 55"

They all work perfectly with no issues.

A mate that lives on the other side of the hill up in Sunbury from where i am that could never get good reception on digital so he went back to analog is now the happiest guy on the face of the earth digital reception with no break up using this box.

I agree 100% this box is a must for Fujitsu owners to get the best out of the display on FTA TV and after trying it on the other displays i will stick my neck out and say its a must for FTV TV full stop

Guest muffburger

Yep she's a cool bit of kit

I have tried the AUSID out on the following panels.

NEC XR4W 50"

Pioneer 505

Hitachi 55"

They all work perfectly with no issues.

I could not find one of these boxes anywhere in Adelaide, so i rang betta at minchinbury and they are sending me one for $540 plus $20 delivery.

I will be using it with the awa 32" lcd panel so it will be an interesting test to see how it performs with lcd.

Fingers crossed

Thanks all for the useful information.

I have a Pioneer PDP434 panel that is currently on an analogue connection, it seemed to me before reading this post that the Teac was the way to go. (to take advantage of the DVI)

I am in Frenchs Forest in Sydney in which I believe the reception to be good. So if you are not in a fringe area am I safe to assume that the AUSID will be a better STB for my system?

Also, is it worth getting a local antenna installer to check the signal strength at my house?

Cheers

Thanks all for the useful information.

I have a Pioneer PDP434 panel that is currently on an analogue connection, it seemed to me before reading this post that the Teac was the way to go. (to take advantage of the DVI)

I am in Frenchs Forest in Sydney in which I believe the reception to be good. So if you are not in a fringe area am I safe to assume that the AUSID will be a better STB for my system?

Also, is it worth getting a local antenna installer to check the signal strength at my house?

Cheers

Hi Simeon, you will see massive improvement from any STB over the built-in analogue tuner, but I would definitely recommend the AUSID.

If you look at the local reception forums, you'll find that some parts of Frenchs Forest have reception difficulties because of the ridge. The AUSID is actually the best STB for fringe reception areas, so that would make your choice easy. The hardest thing is finding one for the right price.

Hi Simeon, you will see massive improvement from any STB over the built-in analogue tuner, but I would definitely recommend the AUSID.

If you look at the local reception forums, you'll find that some parts of Frenchs Forest have reception difficulties because of the ridge. The AUSID is actually the best STB for fringe reception areas, so that would make your choice easy. The hardest thing is finding one for the right price.

Thanks Foggy I will take a look at the local reception forums. Looks like I have some shopping around to do in any case.

Thanks Foggy I will take a look at the local reception forums. Looks like I have some shopping around to do in any case.

The guys at Retravision in Chatswood Westfield have an AUSID on display.

For others who want to see the Fujitsu panels in action, they also have the 42" HD & SD panels as well as the 50" on display, although none of them have been calibrated in any way... in fact the horrible Ambient Sensor is still turned on for the 50".

Is it possible for someone to post pictures of the Ausid unit? I gather it is able to be mounted to the rear of a display, which would be a definite plus for me.

I will take some happy snaps of the AUSID and my newly patented mounting mechanism tonight.

Glenn, is there any chance that you might also be able to get a PDF of the product manual from one of your contacts? It's high time we started to give this great product the attention that it deserves.

I will take some happy snaps of the AUSID and my newly patented mounting mechanism tonight.

Glenn, is there any chance that you might also be able to get a PDF of the product manual from one of your contacts? It's high time we started to give this great product the attention that it deserves.

I will give them a buzz tomorrow

Good review Foggy :blink:

Im going to sit on the Fence until I see Toshiba have fixed the problems with the HD PVR. As I saw this box operating on the Fuji 50 and it was as good as the Ausid,s in  PQ running on component.

Dude do what i am going to do

AUSID for everyday TV viewing and am only going to record on the Toshi best of all worlds