HD STB Shoot out

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Glen your telling me its better than the Teac on DVI ?

PQ is as good as the Teac yes

But the other benefits of this box is bugger all pixelisation so much so that i can now watch AFL without pixel break up which annoyed the crap out me

I have seen no banding at all on this box

Mate its just fantastic IMHO the Teac and LG are going out the door and hey will ne be passing go and they certainly will not be getting $200

Well Bugger Me.

This thing you call pixelisation(is this when you see a hallo around the players ?) must be bad in Melbourne as here in Adelaide it aint that bad.

Nup no Hallo when you have a fast moving object across the screen you will get pixel break up around the oject and surrounding areas

In Brisbane we also get very bad Pixelation on both Rugby League and AFL. It is mainly noticable when the player is in focus and moving and the crowd is in the background. The crowd becomes all pixelated.

Matt E

Well bugger me  :blink: . I always thought it was the limited bitrate of the transmission stream that caused pixelisation..... Maybe this box has some fancy algorithms to detect & clean up pixelisation (?)

Exactly what i had thought and come to expect

I who this unit has a proper HD tuner on board not a reworked VCR tuner as all others do and the fact that the box is RF shielded up the wazoo will have something to do with it

Hey Glen i know you were a big fan of the NEC but now you have upgraded to a Fuji of which you are very happy with and now with the AUSID you must be in heaven :P .You and our friend Angelo have been chasing the holy grail of the ultimate set up and i think you may have done it which is great.Now Angelo C'mon mate whats going on???What are you buying???What are you up to??? You know hes a very sneaky boy that Angelo Glen :blink: . But seriously its great to see you can enjoy your viewing experience now :P (touch wood) .BTW i was touching my wooden coofee table when i wrote that lol

Cheers Ryan

Hey Glen i know you were a big fan of the NEC but now you have upgraded to a Fuji of which you are very happy with and now with the AUSID you must be in heaven :P .You and our friend Angelo have been chasing the holy grail of the ultimate set up and i think you may have done it which is great.Now Angelo C'mon mate whats going on???What are you buying???What are you up to??? You know hes a very sneaky boy that Angelo Glen  :blink: . But seriously its great to see you can enjoy your viewing experience now :P (touch wood) .BTW i was touching my wooden coofee table when i wrote that lol

Cheers Ryan

Cheers Ryan

I think the wife is happier than me as she will not have to hear me complain about every little issue.

IMHO thr Fujitus P50 and the AUSID is the perfect setup with no doubt in my mind and its taken ages to get here

Hey Glen,

You need to update your sig to show the AUSID  :blink:

nah he's still clinging to the teac ! hehehe

actually its probably either out on the nature strip or hanging up on the antena mast by now by the sounds

hehehe

LOL the only reason i still have the Teac is i cant be bothered pulling everything apart again (God its painful)

Hey Glen i know you were a big fan of the NEC but now you have upgraded to a Fuji of which you are very happy with and now with the AUSID you must be in heaven :P .You and our friend Angelo have been chasing the holy grail of the ultimate set up and i think you may have done it which is great.Now Angelo C'mon mate whats going on???What are you buying???What are you up to??? You know hes a very sneaky boy that Angelo Glen  :blink: . But seriously its great to see you can enjoy your viewing experience now :P (touch wood) .BTW i was touching my wooden coofee table when i wrote that lol

Cheers Ryan

Hi Ryan

Mate now you know me too well . Ive gotten to a point that I dont like anything on the market as of today, tomorrow well thats another story.

Well now I have the AUSID hooked up to my NEC 42VM5W.

Unfortunately the AUSID can't hook onto anything on my wall bracket like it does on a Fujitsu one, but no biggie....

The only thing else that is "odd" using it with the NEC is that the volume control is not actually on the volume control but on the left-right arrows. This is fine as you use the up-down arrows to scroll through your favourites, and it's all together.

Compared to my mate's Topfield SD-PVR box is that if you go into other channels besides your favourites, the channel search buttons take you then through the all channels list and you have to go back into favourites. And there is only one favourites menu, where the Toppy has multiple faves menus.

Now this is my first STB, so I have no comparison with others. But pixelation? Solarisation? What are they? Last night I saw none of these. It just works.

I do get the odd bit of short-term pixellig when you go to a new channel sometimes but I think that is a signal strength issue. it settles down quickly though.

I'd have to say I'm happy with this thing, although I think the analogue audio quality is only "good", not great. Having not used one of these boxes before though, I'm not sure what I should expect. The system the audio goes though is very high-end and therefore very "picky"......

Well now I have the AUSID hooked up to my NEC 42VM5W.

Unfortunately the AUSID can't hook onto anything on my wall bracket like it does on a Fujitsu one, but no biggie....

The only thing else that is "odd" using it with the NEC is that the volume control is not actually on the volume control but on the left-right arrows. This is fine as you use the up-down arrows to scroll through your favourites, and it's all together.

As you will notice on the AUSID there is avolume control on the remote which is used for the Fujitsu panel's volume and the left and right arrows are for the STB volume

Compared to my mate's Topfield SD-PVR box is that if you go into other channels besides your favourites, the channel search buttons take you then through the all channels list and you have to go back into favourites.  And there is only one favourites menu, where the Toppy has multiple faves menus.

I will have a play with this tonight

Now this is my first STB, so I have no comparison with others. But pixelation? Solarisation? What are they? Last night I saw none of these. It  just works.

Pixelisation is where you will have a fast moving object and the pixel’s around the object and most time surrounding areas will flicker and break up.

Solarisation is also known are False Contour and the easiest way to explain this is you will get a funny colouring usually on the sides of peoples faces on a close up when they move suddenly

I do get the odd bit of short-term pixellig when you go to a new channel sometimes but I think that is a signal strength issue. it settles down quickly though.

This is normal for any box

I'd have to say I'm happy with this thing, although I think the analogue audio quality is only "good", not great. Having not used one of these boxes before though, I'm not sure what I should expect.  The system the audio goes though is very high-end and therefore very "picky"......

Again this is pretty standard on all boxes

According to glenncol's original review in this thread, the AUSID only has 1 audio output (Coaxial), is this correct?

The Teac currently offers me a host of audio connection options. I use the RCA stereo connectors to hook directly into the panel, and the optical TOSLink into the AVR. This gives me the option of not using the AVR if I just want to catch the news quickly.

I hope the AUSID offers more audio outputs (and simultaneously). Can any of the current owners please confirm?

According to glenncol's original review in this thread, the AUSID only has 1 audio output (Coaxial), is this correct?

The Teac currently offers me a host of audio connection options. I use the RCA stereo connectors to hook directly into the panel, and the optical TOSLink into the AVR. This gives me the option of not using the AVR if I just want to catch the news quickly.

I hope the AUSID offers more audio outputs (and simultaneously). Can any of the current owners please confirm?

I will check the outputs that can be run simultaneously tonight

The AUSID has 1 digital output Coax and a set of RCA outs

Thanks for your input, glenncol. Much appreciated!

I'm simply not getting pixelation and solarisation on what I've been watching so i'm a happy camper.

The NEC is not "run-in" really and certainly not set up optimally. That said, I'm very happy with it. SD 42" at nearly 4 metres looks just fine and it is basically a very natural looking monitor.

But I do get some "banding" on gradients like sunset effects. I guess we will tame this with optimal set-up, but is this just life with a plasma?

As for audio quality, it IS a bit much to ask of a box you buy for $500-odd that does all that video work to sound like a high-end CD player :blink:

I will try a Musical Fidelity outboard DAC that I have here somewhere to take the digital output and see what happens.

Will report results. As it stands, it's kinda thin sounding, but clear enough I guess.

Thanks for your input, glenncol. Much appreciated!

I'm simply not getting  pixelation and solarisation on what I've been watching so i'm a happy camper.

The NEC is not "run-in" really and certainly not set up optimally. That said, I'm very happy with it. SD 42" at nearly 4 metres looks just fine and it is basically a very natural looking monitor.

But I do get some "banding" on gradients like sunset effects. I guess we will tame this with optimal set-up, but is this just life with a plasma?

As for audio quality, it IS a bit much to ask of a box you buy for $500-odd that does all that video work to sound like a high-end CD player :blink:

I will try a Musical Fidelity outboard DAC that I have here somewhere to take the digital output and see what happens.

Will report results. As it stands, it's kinda thin sounding, but clear enough I guess.

I must admit, I wondered how "very high-end" the system you were talking about might be.

But, if you've got a MF DAC lying around "somewhere", I guess you're talking about proper audio gear, possibly 2 channel. In which case, I'm interested in how it turns out, given the problems I have had with the audio side of the Teac 800 using DVI/HDMI into a Pioneer 505.

I've ended up using component, which has solved the problems I detailed previously on this forum. Although this is a temporary solution, the resulting audio (through analogue RCA's) is pretty damn good.

Guest muffburger
Ive just caught this post, the  AUSID STB has been selling in Adelaide for $500 for the last month. GOOD GOD DONT TELL ME ADELAIDE HAS THE JUMP ON THE EASTERN CROWD FOR ONCE :blink:

Can you elaborate on this and tell us where in adelaide it is????

Looking for a good hd box with lcd panels.

has anybody tried this box on a lcd panel yet??

does it elimanate the ugly pixelisation on the football??

whats the pq like with the lcd panel?

cheers