WTB - Simple, cheap & ok hifi for sick old pensioner

Nick the Knife

Item: Simple, cheap, basic 'boombox' style unit with CD/TAPE/RADIO for old age pensioner

Item Condition: Any as long as its working

Reason for selling: Buying

Price: $100> (price is an issue!)

Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, whatever

Extra Info:

In my spare time I do a bit of work for a charity who gets you to visit old age pensioners who aren't well off etc.

One of the guys I've been visiting for a few yrs has next to no friends and is very reclusive. He's still married but thats very strained. Compounding all this his health is terrible with him being a major asthmatic and also Type 2 Diabetic.

The one thing he really loves is his music. For the past few yrs he'd been listening to that on an old hifi of my wife's that I've given to him, but with him getting older he's having trouble using the complex remote and also one of the speakers has died. In short, it needs to be binned.

So I thought I'd try and source something for him, am not looking for a charity handout - as thats not fair on the sellers but I'm happy to provide photos of the odl guy with it in his room upon receipt to prove I'm not just out for a cheap deal. :-)

Ideally:

1. Its good reasonable sound - nothing GREAT but just decent would be nice - he listens exclusively to classical music.

2. Simple. So one CD only....if it has a tapedeck and tuner all the better. But nothing complex - as he just can't use it and I get called over to help him out and his health suffers from the stress.

3. Cheap....its a gift from me to him, but I'm not flush with funds at present - so a great deal would be appreciated.

Any offers or ideas welcomed...I've been checking out the Salvo's type stores and local paper but nothing has come along so hence the post here.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Cheers, Nick

***NOTE: I've changed the request to a BOOMBOX style unit - as the old man has said he feels unable to use anything more complicated. So welcome offers of similar units to this. THANK YOU

Edited by NIKK0

Maybe you could pick up an all-in-one bookshelf system from your local Dick Smith? I think the Sony stuff starts at about $150 and should come with a warranty (just in case!).

Not exactly hifi but will fulfill your other requirements.

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.

Maybe you could pick up an all-in-one bookshelf system from your local Dick Smith? I think the Sony stuff starts at about $150 and should come with a warranty (just in case!).Not exactly hifi but will fulfill your other requirements.

Yes, I've been looking at these type of things but everything now seems to be USB/MP3 and a tad complicated for him - still good suggestion.

Technics CDP, Kenwood Tuner, Yamaha Tape Deck, Titan Amp and some small Kenwood speakers. $50 ?

That sounds pretty damn good Danter - so let me say thank you in advance for obviously making a HUGE effort to assist.

My only concern is how difficult it is to use, if they're all PUSH BUTTON type units it should be fine.

I'll send you a PM to discuss - but thank you in advance.

In the interim, any other offers are genuinely welcomed.

Thank you.

Duratone in Canberra used to hold onto a fair bit of old gear for university students, though they cut down considerably last I heard. You might give them a call and see if they still have anything.

Appreciate the reply and suggestion - I'd imagine postage would be a factor as they'd not want to do this and larger items can be pretty costly - and is difficult when they aren't in original packaging.

I'll look into it though.

Thank you.

No idea what area of Sydney you are in, I have a cast-off Kenwood AIO quasi component midi system, 3 disc carousel CDP, dual cassette and tuner with bookshelf type speakers.

This may have an issue with the CD skipping, I have not checked it out fully but could do so if you are interested.

I am in the inner west if that helps, the unit is free to a deserving home.

Danters offer is most generous and his gear somewhat better than this, but it was given to me in hope of it eventually finding a loving home with a deserving recipient and I therefore offer it for consideration.

Thanks Ophool, thats very kind of you and much appreciated. I'll see how it pans out with the other options on the table - as I'm reluctant to go for anything thats more than a single CD player or has any mechanical problems. But once again your offer is very kind and appreciated - am sure it'd assist the right person, is funny how whats junk to many can make the day of an old pensioner, new immigrant family or someone starting again after losing it all. Cheers, Nick

Hi Nikko,

Pics sent to your email address. Substituted the Titan amp with a Pioneer SA 710 (with cool blue LED display) as it was a bit flakey.

All the rest working perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

Danters offer was sensational - but alas it was a tad too complicated for the age & health condition of the old man.

Therefore I had to regretfully pass on it - though I heap plaudits on Danter for his very kind offer and effort in sending me photos and thoughtful emails.

SO....am still looking guys, all in one type units are probably more feasible or even reasonable quality 'boombox' style units will be considered.

Thank you in advance for all the kind offers, all are appreciated.

:-)

have you tried ebay or grays online for a cheap boombox system mate? Grays sometimes have some decent systems come up with flat rate postage on them. I would def look there or maybe ebay. I know its a pain. espesh to find one in sydney near you but it might be possible.

GL :cool:

tom

RockandorRoll, thanks for the kind offer but from SA that'd be a tad much on the postage front ! Much thanks for the offer though - hope the Keces is treating you well! Yes, I've been checking (and still am) Gumtree, Ebay and the Trading Post......Grays are horrible IMHO, exhoribitant buyers premiums and postage and they overstated the RRP of products BADLY. Appreciate the suggestion though. So still looking guys, but appreciate all the kind offers of help & assistance - so thanks. :-)

Ophool, thank you for your very kind offer - a real credit to you but unfortunately was again a tad complicated.

After speaking with the old man in question I've changed the request to a BOOMBOX style unit - as he has said he feels unable to use anything more complicated.

Obviously, this makes it very hard to still have reasonable sound quality - but is better that he's able to use without stress and confusion.

So welcome offers of similar units to this. THANK YOU :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Have you got all the stuff you need yet

Hi Richard,

Alas no.....I had some REALLY generous offers but they were just a little too complicated for the old guy to use and I'd hate to accept only to let down people's generosity.

It all got a bit much so I've put it on the backburner a little......I'm also preparing to move homes myself - so have been kind of busy.

So still very much open to any offers/suggestions that folks might have.

Is funny I went over during the weekend and the old guy is using his broken old stereo with one speaker for his CDs and a broken boombox style one for his tapes (as the CDP on it doesn't work).

I'll check out the Salvo's stores when I head out to do the shopping with week.

PM sent to Chilli for his kind offer above too - thank you in advance.

Cheers, Nick

I have a couple of boom boxs ones a panasonic and the other is a sharp booth have detachable speakers if you need to take them off.And thay sound not to bad.If this helps you could pick which one you wont for just $20