Sign in to follow this  
billybob_chider

Tropo- Friend or Foe?

Yesterday afternoon (22/7/05) at around 3pm, I got 2GZ-FM & Star FM from Orange at home in Minto. It was there for a few minutes, but has since disappeared. It was heard quite well, despite some interference from Triple M for 2GZ-FM (105.1) & Triple J for Star FM (105.9). Pity that Star FM Orange has the same program as Sea FM Gosford at the time I picked up Star FM from Orange, which the latter station can be heard very well. That program is 'The Benchwarmers' in case you haven't worked it out.  :blink:

Orange FM stations in my location can be heard from time to time, but not all the time.

There are certain locations in around the Campbelltown area where Orange FM stations can be heard on a regular basis.

Great. I think I asked this before but what radio did you use?

Great. I think I asked this before but what radio did you use?

I used the Marantz SJ-450, which was bought by my parents sometime in the 80s.

It's a really good radio for FM & AM radio, but the car radio on my parents' 2001 Holden Astra is also pretty reliable for FM DX, especially during tropo. The Marantz is also the best radio in my house in which to pick up particularly Wollongong & Gosford stations. During tropo, I could get Newcastle FM stations & I also used to get Canberra FM stations as well from time to time, but not anymore.

FYI, my best FM DX record on the Marantz was 102.3 Star FM from Port Macquarie on 15-16th January 2005.

There is some troppo about at the moment. On Saturday night I got B-Rock from Bathurst (99.3) free of any interference from 2NSB Chatswood. Star FM from Orange worked quite well and I also could hear Zoo FM (92.7) from Dubbo which would wave in and out every few min.

FYI, my best FM DX record on the Marantz was 102.3 Star FM from Port Macquarie on 15-16th January 2005.

I got 102.3 Star FM from Port Maquarie in Bowral Southern Highlands on 3rd January 2004 on a small portable radio. Was also able to get 2MCFM on 100.7 from Port on the same day.

Tell me if I bought a japanese radio could I get anything here on those freq. For example the NRL games or the other FM stations where you can only get with a "special" radio (example chinese radio).

My Sony walkman does the Japanese frequencies as well as the regular ones, something like 76-108MHz, there isn't really anything you can get on the Japanese frequencies here. The frequencies for chinese radio, in Narrow FM, are 152.075, 152.225 and 152.250MHz. The sound quality is really quite appalling... The BBC World Service is also available around those frequencies somewhere...

There is some troppo about at the moment. On Saturday night I got B-Rock from Bathurst (99.3) free of any interference from 2NSB Chatswood. Star FM from Orange worked quite well and I also could hear Zoo FM (92.7) from Dubbo which would wave in and out every few min.

Whenever I tried 99.3 at my location (Minto), it always come up on 2NSB, as in most cases. I believed that at the time when I got 2GZ & Star from Orange last Friday afternoon, I couldn't get B-Rock. It's a shame because it sounds like a good station and I haven't heard it in a while. :blink:

FYI, the last time I listened to B-Rock was in April 2004 when I was in the Blue Mountains, past Katoomba. Up to Katoomba, 2NSB is heard. In Katoomba, 99.3 is conflicted between 2NSB & B-Rock.

Overall, B-Rock plays a great selection of classic & modern rock, last time I heard.

BTW, have you tried 2GZ-FM on 105.1 that Saturday night, matt86?

I got 102.3 Star FM from Port Maquarie in Bowral Southern Highlands on 3rd January 2004 on a small portable radio. Was also able to get 2MCFM on 100.7 from Port on the same day.

I was in the Southern Highlands on 3rd January 2004 as well, coming back from Victoria. I noticed that at near Bargo (north of Mittagong), I got NXFM & New FM from Newcastle. We were too close to 2ST's TX to pick up KO-FM.

Whenever I tried 99.3 at my location (Minto), it always come up on 2NSB, as in most cases. I believed that at the time when I got 2GZ & Star from Orange last Friday afternoon, I couldn't get B-Rock. It's a shame because it sounds like a good station and I haven't heard it in a while.  :blink:

FYI, the last time I listened to B-Rock was in April 2004 when I was in the Blue Mountains, past Katoomba. Up to Katoomba, 2NSB is heard. In Katoomba, 99.3 is conflicted between 2NSB & B-Rock.

Overall, B-Rock plays a great selection of classic & modern rock, last time I heard.

BTW, have you tried 2GZ-FM on 105.1 that Saturday night, matt86?

I was in the Southern Highlands on 3rd January 2004 as well, coming back from Victoria. I noticed that at near Bargo (north of Mittagong), I got NXFM & New FM from Newcastle. We were too close to 2ST's TX to pick up KO-FM.

2GZ had too much interference from MMM. The signal was there however it was masked below the noise floor created from splatter from MMM. Star on the other hand seems to come in better than GZ as JJJ doesnt seem to splatter as much. JJJ's deviation may be slighly less than MMM.

I get Zoo FM from Dubbo quite often without any interference from Classic FM. Classic FM often has low deviation with usually very 'quiet' content from this genre.

2GZ had too much interference from MMM. The signal was there however it was masked below the noise floor created from splatter from MMM. Star on the other hand seems to come in better than GZ as JJJ doesnt seem to splatter as much. JJJ's deviation may be slighly less than MMM.

I get Zoo FM from Dubbo quite often without any interference from Classic FM. Classic FM often has low deviation with usually very 'quiet' content from this genre.

What suburb do you live in Matt?

It's coming to this time of the year again when some, if not many people, in Sydney are getting FM stations from Newcastle. :blink:

According to this link, this Sunday (November 6th) can see a good tropo day for Sydney & Newcastle. The light green on the map that is covering Sydney & Newcastle should be a reasonable indication that we could be getting good tropo. That is, for people in Sydney, we could be getting some reception from Newcastle commercial FM stations.

I have just recently re-aligned my UHF (Band 4/5) antenna from Wollongong towards Sydney to get a good SBS reception & also reliable digital signals from Sydney in which I got all channels on digital except D44.

In past tropo sessions, I've been getting SC Ten from Newcastle off the back of the UHF antenna that was pointing towards Wollongong. Now with a UHF antenna pointing towards the Sydney TV transmitters, I could be getting SC Ten from Newcastle with a much more watchable picture, along with Prime & possibly NBN, which is on VHF-3, which I've been able to get some reception of on the TV on few tropo occasions. :P

Tropo's here for us Victorian's!

Last week mid 30's with about 80-90% humidity! :blink:

As for stories.

I live between Bendigo and Ballarat, and last year I received Mildura Star Fm in Stereo which is a decent 300-400 km away.

How about this one though, 3 years ago getting 2ST from my Combi UHF-VHF Antenna pointed East at Mt. Alexander!

Didn't know what they were going on about. Rain with a top of 27 degrees when down here its bright sunshine and about 40!

Also Sun FM from Sheppereton comes in bright and clear in summer and not winter. Melbourne's also much clearer.

Is there something about FM that makes it travel further (apart from its wavelength)? A lot of people here have been talking about radio, but what about peoples experiences with TV? What success have people had DX TV and what type of equipment (antenna amps etc) have people used?

Some tropo has happened this morning in Sydney! It's that time of the year again! :P

This morning, I got New FM & NXFM from Newcastle on my home stereo, with an audible signal. Unfortunately, as usual, I cannot get KO-FM as 2ST is in the way. :P

On the TV side, I could get the Newcastle channels very well! :blink:

Prime & SC Ten came through with a snowy, but watchable picture (and in colour!!). NBN can be seen, but I cannot get an audio signal from them & I could not get it in colour.

New FM & NXFM faded away after 10am. It's a hot day today in Sydney so tropo from Newcastle usually happens when it is a hot day here. :P

Some tropo has happened this morning in Sydney! It's that time of the year again! :P

This morning, I got New FM & NXFM from Newcastle on my home stereo, with an audible signal. Unfortunately, as usual, I cannot get KO-FM as 2ST is in the way. :P

On the TV side, I could get the Newcastle channels very well! :blink:

Prime & SC Ten came through with a snowy, but watchable picture (and in colour!!). NBN can be seen, but I cannot get an audio signal from them & I could not get it in colour.

New FM & NXFM faded away after 10am. It's a hot day today in Sydney so tropo from Newcastle usually happens when it is a hot day here. :P

Yeah tis the season. A sticky high should provide morning and evening tropo for the east coast. Didn't scan this morning though.

I noticed some good signal lastnight from Newcastle. I was on my way home, casually scanning stations. NX and NewFM belting in strong. I could even get 2NUR 103.7 in and out. Could also get KO however with 2ST there the stations continuously swapped between each other, making both unlistenable. KO was playing Gangajang - Sounds Of Then while 2ST had some crappy quality talkback sindication as usual. Rheema 99.7 was coming in strong, totally overpowering 2SSR.

Also noticed on Sunday afternoon when scanning that something was interfering with 2MCR Campbelltown, which I usually get OK. Again, as I drove along the radio would swap between two stations (2MCR and another station). MCR still had the better so I couldn't make out what was causing the swapping.

I hear also 100.5 is being used atm.