Panasonic TX-76DTX40A Progressive

Guest cemalley

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i checked this tv out today...came across it by chance in a local retravision store, they were asking $1399.....the salesperson also indictated this price was negotiable and not a sale price......picture looked great and to me better that the 76cm Sony Wega below it, although they were playing a "special" dvd that was meant o look great.......on walking out the store i grabbed their catalogue and noticed that in that its advertised at $1299 :blink:

anyhow since hardly normal is just around the corner i also paid them a visit....they had the same tv for $2199!!!!.......however some hastily scribbled texta on a piece of paper stuck to the front indicated the price was SLASHED to $1999........bargain!!!!!

but, as said before i was suitably impressed by this unit so i think i wil head back and check it out again (retrovision of course).....i was previously looking at the LG Lafinions but i think this unit may have the edge.......

Guest cemalley
i checked this tv out today...came across it by chance in a local retravision store, they were asking $1399.....the salesperson also indictated this price was negotiable and not a sale price......picture looked great and to me better that the 76cm Sony Wega below it, although they were playing a "special" dvd that was meant o look great.......on walking out the store i grabbed their catalogue and noticed that in that its advertised at $1299 :blink:

anyhow since hardly normal is just around the corner i also paid them a visit....they had the same tv for $2199!!!!.......however some hastily scribbled texta on a piece of paper stuck to the front indicated the price was SLASHED to $1999........bargain!!!!!

but, as said before i was suitably impressed by this unit so i think i wil head back and check it out again (retrovision of course).....i was previously looking at the LG Lafinions but i think this unit may have the edge.......

My personal opinion is that this unit gives a vastly better picture than the Lafinion.

I have one of these and have absolutely no complaints with it.

In fact it exceeded my expectations - something pretty rare.

Edited by cemalley

My personal opinion is that this unit gives a vastly better picture than the Lafinion.

I have one of these and have absolutely no complaints with it.

In fact it exceeded my expectations - something pretty rare.

We found one of these at JB Hi-Fi in Modbury. These are awesome TV's. Once you get it home it looks even better. Had the same problem with the progressive but got it sorted now. Price was $1198 but for an extra $45 we got a 5 year in-house warranty. Sweet. :blink:

THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!

Hi Guys,

Better get in quick....it's been discontinued by Panasonic due to all the "superior" flat panels coming out LOL.

Bing Lee have apparently bought up all the stock....I've ordered mine.

Dave (I like C.R.T. and maybe SXRD when it comes out)

(Toshiba 32SW9UA in lounge room and soon to have TX-76DTX40A in the bedroom!)

Update,

haven't tried the progressive but have got it set up and running. This was very easy.

PQ is good...not as good as my toshiba but it is still early hours running the tube in.

Sharpness setting is way sensitive...I turned it right down as I usually do for all screens and the picture was very blurry. Now set at half way the picture is great. Too high and the edges become too pronounced.

No noticeable geometry problems. Colour good as expected for CRT.

Favourites yet to be mastered but seems to be more complicated than it should be. I think I'll just be punching in the numbers on the remote.

Highly recommended for bedroom viewing for less than 1.2K!! Now all 5 stars hotels take note...please upgrade all TVs to at least 76cm widescreen so I can go on holidays and not be blown away by my teles at home :blink:

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi all just bought this TV from Harvey Norman for $1299 as I live in a small town in the country it was the cheapest. Just a quick? Can you notice much better PQ from connecting it to progressive scan to a DVD player instead of just component?

mix,

Welcome to the forum. There is a massive wealth of information in the forums. It's a good idea to familiarise yourself with all the jargon via the stickys and search engine if you need information.

"Can you notice much better PQ from connecting it to progressive scan to a DVD player instead of just component?" This question is confusing but I'll give it a go....

Progessive or interlaced, you'll need to see for yourself. The benefits of progressive scan for our PAL system is less than for that of NTSC. Despite the theory of marginal improvement for PAL, it depends on the quality of deinterlacer of your DVD player. So you can choose either progressive 50Hz or use the flicker reduction in the set up menu. I presume that FR is 100Hz mode and when flicker reduction is off it is the native interlaced 576 signal at 50Hz. Some people see flicker at 50Hz and this may occur even with progressive capable CRT.

I use progressive scan on my other 76cm TV (toshiba 32SW9UA) and find it worthwhile. I see some flicker in my pvr menu but 99.99% the picture is solid. I use scart pass through via the panasonic EH50 DVDR. It then deinterlaces my topfield PVR and FOX IQ pvr signals too. PQ is awesome for SD!

Component is the connection type...it can carry interlaced or progessive scan and it's one of the highest quality possible connection types...certainly more than ample for standard definition.

connection types

What are your other sources? Currently I am just using the inbuilt tuner as the pana 40A lives in the bedroom. I am researching how to get my other sources from the lounge room to it.

enjoy

Dave

Hi there thanks for the information. We have the TX-76DTX40A TV hooked up to a Panasonic all in one HT thing model SC-HT520 thats DVD,radio.

It has component out and does have a progressive video mode button.

So should I hook it to the AV4 on this TV or just AV1 thats what I was trying to ask sorry. Progressive AV4 or just AV1.

I'll try each out as you said.

Thank you

mix,

yes you will just have to try. I don't think your all in one has scart out...so take care with direction of component to scart. I think the cables provided with the TV have a switch for direction of the signal.

It is more important to get the contrast, brightness and colour correctly sorted than to go progressive.

enjoy

Dave

Thanks Dave No it doesn't have scart on the all in one for the TV but has it for the sound. The best video out on it is the component. Thanks I'll try and see. Just have to buy a new cabinet for the TV to sit on then I will set it up.

• 1 month later...

OK I'm stuck I set the TV up with the DVD all in one. Now I connected the DVD to the component inputs.

Now to set it up in progressive um how do I do it? I go to the menu and I get to alter AV2 and AV1 I can't find the AV4 to switch between 100hz or progressive or anything.

I'm not sure what to do on this TV.

Thank you all

Guest cemalley
OK I'm stuck I set the TV up with the DVD all in one. Now I connected the DVD to the component inputs.

Now to set it up in progressive um how do I do it? I go to the menu and I get to alter AV2 and AV1 I can't find the AV4 to switch between 100hz or progressive or anything.

I'm not sure what to do on this TV.

Thank you all

You need to make sure AV4 is the current selected input when you go in to the menus.

The menus on this TV change depending on which input is current.

With AV4 there is a choice between 100HZ and progressive (as long as you connected to the discrete component inputs).

You need to make sure AV4 is the current selected input when you go in to the menus.

The menus on this TV change depending on which input is current.

With AV4 there is a choice between 100HZ and progressive (as long as you connected to the discrete component inputs).

Ok I know it is the component AV4C as I have to switch to that to get the DVD picture I have that switched on but when I go to the menu I still have AV2 or AV1.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just a bit lost.

Guest cemalley
Ok I know it is the component AV4C as I have to switch to that to get the DVD picture I have that switched on but when I go to the menu I still have AV2 or AV1.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just a bit lost.

I think you must be looking at the Setup Menu.

The Scan option is the last item on the Picture Menu.

I think you must be looking at the Setup Menu.

The Scan option is the last item on the Picture Menu.

Thanks heaps yeah I was in the wrong menu ok now I see thank you I see now. There are so many functions on this set I'm still trying to learn thank you.

• 7 months later...
Hi Guys,

Better get in quick....it's been discontinued by Panasonic due to all the "superior" flat panels coming out LOL.

Bing Lee have apparently bought up all the stock....I've ordered mine.

Dave (I like C.R.T. and maybe SXRD when it comes out)

(Toshiba 32SW9UA in lounge room and soon to have TX-76DTX40A in the bedroom!)

Hi Dave,

This is a post in hope 'cause it looks like you haven't been on for a little while. However, nothing ventured ...

I am looking to replace a non digital crt that is in the process of dying. I'm not impressed with the current state of LCD and price and decided to stay with CRT. Would like to go widescreen and, with 2008+ in mind, should go digital.

It's now very hard to find CRTs as everybody has gone flat panel crazy. It just so happens that the two models I'm trying to decide between are the two you have in your lounge and bedroom! (Well almost - Toshiba 32SW8UA and Pana TX-76DT30A).

You're in a perfect position for a side by side comparison!! How would you rate these against each other?

If others want to comment feel free, especially if you've seen a good left over CRT somewhere!

I want a 32" display (has to fit in an entertainment unit that I'm not allowed to get rid of - spouse edict!!) The current slimline LG and Samsung (it seems they're the only ones still making CRTs) are too wide due to all the real-estate on the side.