Sign in to follow this  
tamarasue1503559967

Dolby 5.1 Transmissions

Sucks don't it? Why bother with FTA and 5.1? If I want decent sound I will watch a DVD. FTA stations don't want to properly entertain us so I won't watch their ads. :blink:

Sucks don't it? Why bother with FTA and 5.1? If I want decent sound I will watch a DVD. FTA stations don't want to properly entertain us so I won't watch their ads. :blink:

On the subject of dolby 5.1 how do you know if its being broadcast in 5.1.Is there a list or guide available. I am running sd set top, pioneer vsx d514 amp.Paul

Look at 10's bit "premiere" (Starwars Ep2), 2.0 bahaha. Given nine showed even the "old" (ie original) starwars films in 5.1 i would say they would have had 5.1 if screened on 9.

Even TV shows are in 5.1, Alias for eg from the get go has been 5.1, Battlestar Galactica is another, no doubt theres more. Mclouds thingys is 5.1, i wonder if say Alias and BSG were on 9 if we'd see 5.1 hmmmmmm

it's probably because hd tapes with a 5.1 track cost heaps more than one with dolby surround or dolby 2.0

A HD program may cost a certain amount, but to add 5.1 the cost would double. Untill Dolby E with 5.1 on the tape becomes the norm, it won't change much. I think it will happen, but not for about 2-3 years. Dolby Surround on the other hand is beocming comon.

Lucky its "included" with DVD's then, for the past ummm 8 years? or whatever :blink: hehe.

It is weird though, as u say 5.1 on HD tapes is not the "norm"/common yet its not like they 5.1 wasnt' about? Had not they heard of DVD's or even LD's?

Lucky its "included" with DVD's then, for the past ummm 8 years? or whatever :blink: hehe.  

It is weird though, as u say 5.1 on HD tapes is not the "norm"/common yet its not like they 5.1 wasnt' about?  Had not they heard of DVD's or even LD's?

Dear spoonie, its because DVD mastering get the 5.1 from a DVD-ROM or even a file via ethernet. That audio is uncompressed and to add 5.1 to a tape you have to compress the 5.1 tracks down to just over 900Mbits per sec (Dolby E). As standard when the vision is mastered the audio is done at the same time (stereo surround), but the 5.1 audio is done later or earlier, not at the same time. Its impractical to do so.

spoonie :blink: hehe

fair enuf, sometimes the 'way' things are done for us 'laymen' seem odd.

OK, so they create a master tape with the video, and the 2ch audio "they have", why not then subsequent masters created with 5.1?

Another option would be 5.1 as a separate feed/source (on a CD/DVD/whatver) but obviously u'd need the gear to sync up etc (ie like in the theatres). They could have the 'coffee boy' run down the local video store and fetch a DVD :P bhaha hehe

spoonie :blink: hehe

fair enuf, sometimes the 'way' things are done for us 'laymen' seem odd.

OK, so they create a master tape with the video, and the 2ch audio "they have", why not then subsequent masters created with 5.1?

Another option would be 5.1 as a separate feed/source (on a CD/DVD/whatver) but obviously u'd need the gear to sync up etc (ie like in the theatres).  They could have the 'coffee boy' run down the local video store and fetch a DVD :P bhaha hehe

Nine do in fact get the 5.1 on a separate media and 'restripe' thier HD copy of a movie. Stop suggesting getting the 'coffee boy to run done', let them get a 'coffee boy' and the next thing they will just get a dozen 'coffee boys' to do everthing.

Actually getting a DVD may work but I doubt it. Getting the AC3 audio back to Dolby E and in sync may be impossible. We could record the AC3 onto the HD tape but again keeping it in sync would be a problem and it would mean a re-design of the signal pathway and ALL 5.1 audio would have to supplied the same.

aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh its all to hard, i just want to watch and listen :blink:

coffee boy where my OAR movie with 5.1..........what u though the tape was a biscuit........ u clown! :P

aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh its all to hard, i just want to watch and listen :blink:

coffee boy where my OAR movie with 5.1..........what u though the tape was a biscuit........ u clown! :P

Those bloody coffee boys, always screwing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone notice two more movies have been added?

Collateral Damage and Spider-Man (Adelaide)

though both don't have a date yet