Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, bazzle said:

Thats the one I posted further up. Seems to be a reasonable option in my opinion. Watching with interest what one you have to play with

Ordered a SofaBaton U1 from Amazon AU on Fri 12th, it's on it's way and tracking shows it's now between Syd and Mel. Hopefully will arrive early this week and I can give it a test drive. Best thing is it does BT as well so can now just use the one remote to control all the devices including a Nvidia Shield TV Pro which is BT.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is a deal breaker for me.  I like being self sufficient and having to call a physical human to reprogram my gear is painful for the both of us. 

I've been contacted by a company as a result of this thread with what they say is a cost effective alternative to the Logitech, albeit far more powerful in its ability (if desired). I have a sample co

Not disagreeing with you at all. You’re absolutely right. It’s not a replacement for Logitech,  but in the absence of that I took the plunge on an ‘alternative’.    With the amount of gear I go

Managed to pick up a spare harmony companion with hub 2nd hand for $130 shipped off eBay this morning. More than I would’ve like to pay but less than I was willing to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I’ve had one running the main tv system for nearly 5 years and the family know how to use it (more or less) but it’s starting to show its age :D 

hopefully I can get a few more years out of this new one and Logitech hold up their end of the bargain?until a good replacement is established

Edited by RankStranger

I think I'd like to get a Logitech universal remote while I can. I'm thinking the 650 or the Ultimate One. For the money, which is better?

25 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

I think I'd like to get a Logitech universal remote while I can. I'm thinking the 650 or the Ultimate One. For the money, which is better?

Have 650, think it is best value for money. And bought spare...

• Like 1

I picked up an Ultimate One late last week, we have an old One + that is looking long in the tooth, so I figured a backup wouldn't be a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...

So my 650 arrived today. Pretty easy to set up except I can't get it to work with my Samsung Q75R TV. Has anyone had the same experience?

5 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

So my 650 arrived today. Pretty easy to set up except I can't get it to work with my Samsung Q75R TV. Has anyone had the same experience?

This might be a stupid question but is the remote for that TV infra red?  The harmony doesn't do bluetooth without an extra accessory, so if the TV remote is bluetooth you are probably out of luck.

24 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

This might be a stupid question but is the remote for that TV infra red?  The harmony doesn't do bluetooth without an extra accessory, so if the TV remote is bluetooth you are probably out of luck.

I've just checked and it is bluetooth. Oh well, thanks for the info.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 14/04/2021 at 12:19 PM, Marc said:

I've been contacted by a company as a result of this thread with what they say is a cost effective alternative to the Logitech, albeit far more powerful in its ability (if desired). I have a sample coming. First task will be to replicate the configuration I have in my media room now, and if it works, I'm happy to get behind it going forward. It does require more complex programming, which is offered in the price, and you can DIY as well but it is definitely more complex than the Harmony system. Will start a new thread in due course.

OK so I did this. I removed the Logitech system, and went with a URC MRX-5 and remote. It's not exactly a Logitech replacement, as you can't do your own programming, but I decided to head down the path of a genuine home automation solution, and I have to say, I love it. Don't know why I didn't do it years ago.

They're making a special offer at the moment - https://www.stereo.net.au/news/dont-be-left-behind-in-the-remote-control-revolution

It won't be for everyone, but it will be for some that want an intelligent and reliable solution that is scalable for years to come. 

The benefit I find, is it's intelligent. It knows what is turned on and off, and doesn't rely on guessing like the Logitech does. It's flawless, and no Help or Devices button required. A bit of an outlay, but I expect this system to last years and can be change, upgraded and built upon easily.

The wife and kids all approve, and that's the main thing as they're the ones using it daily!

• Like 2

I like their price point (much better than Control4) but given the constant messing with stuff many of us do, it’s painful to have to rely on a third party to reconfigure your remote when you switch inputs around or something else fairly trivial.  

I wonder how hard it is to become an installer yourself?

• Like 1
  • Administrators

You have to go through the training. Having looked over the installer's shoulder, it is complex but only because of its capability. I don't say that as a bad thing by any means. But Logitech had their corner of the DIY market and they did it well. This is next level though.

I soon realised that your installer ends up on your speed dial list. Mine offers, as a general rule, 3 months of changes/tweaks included once you are up and running. The other benefit, for example, is a new Fetch driver came out this week and it was remotely rolled out to his known Fetch customers free of charge. 

A lot of stuff can be done remotely (pardon the pun) once you are up and running, so minor changes are not going to attract and surprising ongoing costs IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marc said:

A lot of stuff can be done remotely (pardon the pun) once you are up and running, so minor changes are not going to attract and surprising ongoing costs IMO.

I think this is a deal breaker for me.  I like being self sufficient and having to call a physical human to reprogram my gear is painful for the both of us. 

• Like 5
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

Yep, as I said, it won't be for everyone. But the two or three family systems I support, and without the continuance of Logitech I will be moving them to a basic entry level URC system.

4 hours ago, Old Man Rubber said:

having to call a physical human to reprogram my gear is painful for the both of us. 

Just another note. I made a basic system change yesterday. I emailed my installer at 7:30PM last night, and he made the change, and pushed a scheduled update at 2AM. Woke up and it was all done. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Marc said:

Just another note. I made a basic system change yesterday. I emailed my installer at 7:30PM last night, and he made the change, and pushed a scheduled update at 2AM. Woke up and it was all done. 

It sounds like a great service - although having spent large chunks of the last 30 years being on call in IT roles it just rubs me the wrong way and goes against the arrow of progress.  I struggle enough with having to call a plumber in an emergency, let alone some poor A/V installer every time I changed out a piece of gear.  At least with the old Logitech system you did it yourself, were in control of the process and that helps a lot with the WAF.  What if old mate takes a holiday and you are sat staring at a non-functional system for 2 weeks?

• Administrators

Not disagreeing with you at all. You’re absolutely right. It’s not a replacement for Logitech,  but in the absence of that I took the plunge on an ‘alternative’. 

With the amount of gear I go through, let’s see what I think in 12 months :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Does anyone happen to have an Elite remote that they don’t need any more. Even a broken one. With impeccable timing my new dog ate mine last week. There is just a chance that the electronics are ok, but the housing is a write off. I’d like to try and resurrect if i can..

9CFB8D67-BC55-42CD-B69D-9AD5D8CE3989.jpeg

Edited by Mrpseudonym