Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

On 27/03/2021 at 6:26 PM, cwt said:

Thats a downer ; reminds me why Rotel ditched their front panel osd on the 1098 pre  pro Rotel RSP-1098 A/V Preamp/Processor | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com) ; just flakes after awhile when using ; pressing a touchscreen . Strange place for transport controls indeed ; my  650;s have better ergonomics and less pressing on its dinky touchscreen :$

Yes, I'm no fan of the touchscreen. I guess though with the harmony, worst case, so long as the buttons still work, you can use the smartphone app to start the activity, and then use the buttons.

It'd be nice if there were decent alternatives to the Harmony. There really aren't though. I keep wondering if I should buy a spare

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yes, I'm no fan of the touchscreen. I guess though with the harmony, worst case, so long as the buttons still work, you can use the smartphone app to start the activity, and then use the buttons.

It'd be nice if there were decent alternatives to the Harmony. There really aren't though. I keep wondering if I should buy a spare

I too, prefer buttons for a remote, hence the 650 which has lasted at least 7 or 8 years. I suggest getting a spare while you can....

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

There really aren't though.

I've been contacted by a company as a result of this thread with what they say is a cost effective alternative to the Logitech, albeit far more powerful in its ability (if desired). I have a sample coming. First task will be to replicate the configuration I have in my media room now, and if it works, I'm happy to get behind it going forward. It does require more complex programming, which is offered in the price, and you can DIY as well but it is definitely more complex than the Harmony system. Will start a new thread in due course.

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see who can replace the Harmony. Any one new will not have the huge database of remotes, a competitive advantage that killed the competition.  There was a range of products that covered the needs of those who wanted simple buttons and those who wanted to show off the expensive touch screens.  Setting up to start the HT, with various gear at the right settings was easy to do. Less well known is the ability to do complex sequences and macros, but they got me out of trouble a few times. Last, but not least, the Harmony made our hobby, family friendly and improved WAF.

Sigh... :hmm:  

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I've got a good working Harmony Elite and I thought about it for a couple of days and take Logitech on their word that they will keep the online service running long term so I've got another new one on the way.

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I too, prefer buttons for a remote, hence the 650 which has lasted at least 7 or 8 years. I suggest getting a spare while you can....

You wouldnt credit this snoopy but having just unpacked my Acurus Muse what do I find but another 650 remote only this one has the words "logi" up the top - the "tech'' has been eradicated /air brushed out:)  A stroke of luck for a change ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I've been contacted by a company as a result of this thread with what they say is a cost effective alternative to the Logitech, albeit far more powerful in its ability (if desired). I have a sample coming. First task will be to replicate the configuration I have in my media room now, and if it works, I'm happy to get behind it going forward. It does require more complex programming, which is offered in the price, and you can DIY as well but it is definitely more complex than the Harmony system. Will start a new thread in due course.

Would be very interested as well

thanks ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marc said:

Nice! I'm eager to hear more!

Every other one though I've looked into, even the ones with bluetooth, the bluetooth was limited (Eg you couldn't control an Apple TV bluetooth, just IR - so no keyboard, no power off).

Some of the other high end ones too were just too hard to even figure out what you needed - like the MX 990 and the Control4. And anything requiring paying someone to set it up, I'm just not interested (and amusingly enough - that exactly was the last Harmony released - and that was I imagine a very silly waste of money and time for them, putting them in a negative frame of mind on the whole division...)

Edited by Mobe1969

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately I had decided to purchase a new 650 and  a Companion just before the news broke so paid regular prices and they arrived this week.

To be honest my home theatre barely needs a universal remote thanks to the HDMI CEC integration that seems to be working - for now.

20210423_072311.jpg

Anyone interested in a Harmony Hub?

I found 5 items in stock at a retailer.

Price is $199 - Iam planning to buy all 5 and get a group discount.

I checked ebay and there are used and new ones avialable.

So:

• if you want one, please send me a PM as well as the price I should ask to pay
  • your cost will be the price I get it for plus postage
  • my time is a donation to sna

4 hours ago, Jventer said:

I checked out ebay again and saw the rertailer is a rip off, even with discount of say 20 or 30% it wount be worth it, better to just sit and wait on ebay.

Available from HN for $128, eBay is pretty much always a rip off. You do need to do the research on there to get any good pricing.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/logitech-harmony-hub.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bazzle said:

Thats the one I posted further up. Seems to be a reasonable option in my opinion. Watching with interest what one you have to play with

Ordered a SofaBaton U1 from Amazon AU on Fri 12th, it's on it's way and tracking shows it's now between Syd and Mel. Hopefully will arrive early this week and I can give it a test drive. Best thing is it does BT as well so can now just use the one remote to control all the devices including a Nvidia Shield TV Pro which is BT.

• Like 1

Managed to pick up a spare harmony companion with hub 2nd hand for $130 shipped off eBay this morning. More than I would’ve like to pay but less than I was willing to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I’ve had one running the main tv system for nearly 5 years and the family know how to use it (more or less) but it’s starting to show its age :D 

hopefully I can get a few more years out of this new one and Logitech hold up their end of the bargain?until a good replacement is established

Edited by RankStranger

25 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

I think I'd like to get a Logitech universal remote while I can. I'm thinking the 650 or the Ultimate One. For the money, which is better?

Have 650, think it is best value for money. And bought spare...

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

I picked up an Ultimate One late last week, we have an old One + that is looking long in the tooth, so I figured a backup wouldn't be a bad idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Old Man Rubber
5 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

So my 650 arrived today. Pretty easy to set up except I can't get it to work with my Samsung Q75R TV. Has anyone had the same experience?

This might be a stupid question but is the remote for that TV infra red?  The harmony doesn't do bluetooth without an extra accessory, so if the TV remote is bluetooth you are probably out of luck.

24 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

This might be a stupid question but is the remote for that TV infra red?  The harmony doesn't do bluetooth without an extra accessory, so if the TV remote is bluetooth you are probably out of luck.

I've just checked and it is bluetooth. Oh well, thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 14/04/2021 at 12:19 PM, Marc said:

OK so I did this. I removed the Logitech system, and went with a URC MRX-5 and remote. It's not exactly a Logitech replacement, as you can't do your own programming, but I decided to head down the path of a genuine home automation solution, and I have to say, I love it. Don't know why I didn't do it years ago.

They're making a special offer at the moment - https://www.stereo.net.au/news/dont-be-left-behind-in-the-remote-control-revolution

It won't be for everyone, but it will be for some that want an intelligent and reliable solution that is scalable for years to come. 

The benefit I find, is it's intelligent. It knows what is turned on and off, and doesn't rely on guessing like the Logitech does. It's flawless, and no Help or Devices button required. A bit of an outlay, but I expect this system to last years and can be change, upgraded and built upon easily.

The wife and kids all approve, and that's the main thing as they're the ones using it daily!

• Like 2