Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

G'day Gutty.

I normally switch between DVD (Component 1) and HDMI tuner, but the inbuilt analog tuner is sometimes used.

The 'skip' command I only heard about recently. Does the use of 'skip' add to the time required to change inputs?

Direct access to inputs is cleaner and probably quicker.

Rod

No slower at all. Though my 40V has no direct selection of inputs. Only single button cycling. So for me, it's actually much faster. If you have direct input selection, have you tried teaching the harmony the button via the original remote ?

No slower at all. Though my 40V has no direct selection of inputs. Only single button cycling. So for me, it's actually much faster. If you have direct input selection, have you tried teaching the harmony the button via the original remote ?

Thanks Gutty.

I've tried teaching the Harmony, but there is no single "HDMI Input" button on the original remote.

You can go into the Sony TV remote's menu system to make an input selection, but that's a multi-key process anyway. Otherwise you're stuck with the next input button, as you are via my Sony HD tuner remote, as well. I don't think the menu button route on the Harmony would work with the Sony TV -- it's not a simple input menu system -- too complicated, with too many keypresses. No fixed starting point.

Using my Harmony 520 remote, however, the Video 1, 2, 3 and HD/DVD 1 & 2 inputs can be selected directly, but not the HDMI input, even though "InputHDMI" can be found in the Hamony database. Just does not work. Maybe they'll fix it one day!

Sony TVs may be good quality, but their human interface engineering leaves a lot to be desired. They need a few ex-Nokia employees, but then they would never survive in a Japanese organisation. Did you ever see the French movie "Fear and Trembling"? Its like a cross between "Lost in Translation" and "The Office". A perfect illustration of how dense a Japanese company can be.

I'll try your skip method, Gutty. Thanks!

Rod

Thanks Gutty.

I've tried teaching the Harmony, but there is no single "HDMI Input" button on the original remote.

You can go into the Sony TV remote's menu system to make an input selection, but that's a multi-key process anyway. Otherwise you're stuck with the next input button, as you are via my Sony HD tuner remote, as well. I don't think the menu button route on the Harmony would work with the Sony TV -- it's not a simple input menu system -- too complicated, with too many keypresses. No fixed starting point.

Using my Harmony 520 remote, however, the Video 1, 2, 3 and HD/DVD 1 & 2 inputs can be selected directly, but not the HDMI input, even though "InputHDMI" can be found in the Hamony database. Just does not work. Maybe they'll fix it one day!

Sony TVs may be good quality, but their human interface engineering leaves a lot to be desired. They need a few ex-Nokia employees, but they would never survive in a Japanese organisation. Did you ever see the French movie "Fear and Trembling"? Its like a cross between "Lost in Translation" and "The Office". A perfect illustration of how dense a Japanese company can be.

I'll try your skip method, Gutty. Thanks!

Rod

Well, i admit i'm new to the Harmony remote, but i'm pretty sure you can't get it to do anything the original remote can't do.....well not easily anyway.

If all else fails, email tech support. They can usually get your problems sorted pretty quick.

And deffinately block or set the unused input on teh Sony to "skip" or whatever....no need to keep them active if they're not being used.

Don't have a direct input button on the original remote for my Pana 600A, but my harmony 525 changes inputs directly including HDMI with one button press. Original remote needs to bring up input menu, then select the required input (2 or 3 button process depending on input). With the 525, the HDMI input is called "AVS DVI".

Well, i admit i'm new to the Harmony remote, but i'm pretty sure you can't get it to do anything the original remote can't do.....well not easily anyway.

If all else fails, email tech support. They can usually get your problems sorted pretty quick.

And deffinately block or set the unused input on teh Sony to "skip" or whatever....no need to keep them active if they're not being used.

Actually, Gutty, you can get the Sony 40S (and presumably the 40V) to change directly to some of the inputs, just not the HDMI. So you CAN teach an old dog to do new tricks!

I'll email Harmony. I'm sure they know all about this one. The Harmony Sony TV combination must be pretty common right now.

Rod

Computer Alliance in Brisbane has the Harmony 360 for $79. Has a few extra buttons over the standard 520/525 which can be useful.

The Harmony 525 has Macro functionality, yes? Ie: press 1 button to switch all on, or off?

The 525 database and software I assume is the same for the higher models also? I need only basic functionality so the 525 seems good at this price point.

I only need to control 6 devices, including my Xbox 360

The Harmony 525 has Macro functionality, yes? Ie: press 1 button to switch all on, or off?

Sure does.

Actually, Gutty, you can get the Sony 40S (and presumably the 40V) to change directly to some of the inputs, just not the HDMI. So you CAN teach an old dog to do new tricks!

I'll email Harmony. I'm sure they know all about this one. The Harmony Sony TV combination must be pretty common right now.

Rod

Well, it can obviously be done, as mine will go direct to HDMI from the tuner even with other inputs enabled. But that's via the logitech programing. So i'm sure they'll have a fix for you.

Guess i should have worded that as "teach" rather than "get it to do".

Or atleast i wouldn't know how. I've had to teach mine a few buttons here and there via the dedicated remotes, but i'd have no idea how to teach it that..... :blink:

In any case, best of luck....now that it's all sorted, i'm loving my Harmony.

Guess i should have worded that as "teach" rather than "get it to do".

Hmmm, that's an idea. Teach it to go to the input before HDMi in the list and then get it to skip to the next input - HDMI - using the activity button. Not that I have a Logitech Harmony (yet!) or a Sony V40

Thinking I'll get the Xbox remote and use the big buttons for TV guide and Channel Manager on my Sammy, since they are coded the same.

Does anyone know if the dedicated X-Box activity button and features on this remote can be reprogrammed if you don't have/want an X-Box?

The 785 has the 4 coloured buttons and they can be programed to do whatever you like, so i'd assume it's the same for teh Xbox model.

The 785 has the 4 coloured buttons and they can be programed to do whatever you like, so i'd assume it's the same for teh Xbox model.

Thanks Gutty. One of the LCD activity buttons is also labelled "Play X-Box" (or something similar), so I am hoping it can be programmed over. I have already programmed a 520, but was just wondering if anyone had used these 360s and overwritten the Xbox functions.

Went back to OfficeWorks to see what heck was going on with the model numbers.

1. Catalogue shows a picture of a 525, but wording is for 'Logitech harmony 525 X-Box'

2. Ticket description in the shop is for a 'Logitech harmony 525 X-Box' $99.

3. Item packaging is 'Harmony X-Box' 360.

Pointed it out to someone there, who gave me a look that sort of said "tell someone who cares... "

I ended up getting a 'regular' 525 for $30 more, at a local computer shop. The 785 sure looked tempting, but not for twice the price.

Thanks Gutty. One of the LCD activity buttons is also labelled "Play X-Box" (or something similar), so I am hoping it can be programmed over. I have already programmed a 520, but was just wondering if anyone had used these 360s and overwritten the Xbox functions.

Venus I don't know the answer but comparing products on the Logi website we have:

525: 4 dedicated activity buttons

360: XBox controls

525: 4 shared activity buttons

360: 4 shared activity buttons

Not having a Harmony remote but keen on a 525 or 360 maybe someone here can elaborate on what the differences mean?

Does anyone know if the 525 supports discrete off for equipment that do have them? I bought the Harmony 520 for my mother-in-law and the equipment she tries to control are always out of synch because she does not keep pointing the remote at the equipment for long enough.

Venus I don't know the answer but comparing products on the Logi website we have:

525: 4 dedicated activity buttons

360: XBox controls

525: 4 shared activity buttons

360: 4 shared activity buttons

Not having a Harmony remote but keen on a 525 or 360 maybe someone here can elaborate on what the differences mean?

The 525 doesn't have any "dedicated" activity buttons...all activities are accessed by the LCD buttons.

Dedicated activity buttons are only found on the 6xx series Harmonys.

Does anyone know if the 525 supports discrete off for equipment that do have them? I bought the Harmony 520 for my mother-in-law and the equipment she tries to control are always out of synch because she does not keep pointing the remote at the equipment for long enough.

The 525 uses the same database as the 520(and every other Harmony).

Any Harmony can use discretes if they are available, but if they aren't available then you're out out luck...it can't do something that isn't possible with the original remote.

If you can find discrete codes on the web in Pronto format, you can get them added to the Harmony database. Other than that, you'll just have to train your mother-in law better! :blink:

Hmmm, that's an idea. Teach it to go to the input before HDMi in the list and then get it to skip to the next input - HDMI - using the activity button. Not that I have a Logitech Harmony (yet!) or a Sony V40

Thinking I'll get the Xbox remote and use the big buttons for TV guide and Channel Manager on my Sammy, since they are coded the same.

99_FGT, You've got the idea, I see. If you program the "Device" (ie, the TV) to go directly to the previous input, then add a following "NextInput" command., the latter does not work (timing, maybe). However, you can then program the "Watch TV" activity to include an appended 0.5 second pause, followed by a "NextInput" command. That works, and brings up the HDMI input. A bit of a kludge, though.

Hope to do better, eventually. Have sent off an email to Logitech tech support.

Rod

Went back to OfficeWorks to see what heck was going on with the model numbers.

1. Catalogue shows a picture of a 525, but wording is for 'Logitech harmony 525 X-Box'

2. Ticket description in the shop is for a 'Logitech harmony 525 X-Box' $99.

3. Item packaging is 'Harmony X-Box' 360.

Pointed it out to someone there, who gave me a look that sort of said "tell someone who cares... "

I ended up getting a 'regular' 525 for $30 more, at a local computer shop. The 785 sure looked tempting, but not for twice the price.

Hey Ozdoc ,you got a 785 for how much???? and where?

Gordon

i just bought one of these today and after a lot of tweeking its working well except one thing.

when i switch to the ipod input on my pionner ax2 ( i had to use the american model number vsx-72txv) i cant get any of the buttons on the harmony to work and control the ipod. i have even tried switching remote function to the pioneer which has full remote function on the ipod and still no luck

any ideas?

Now I understand.Would have prefered the 525 for it's grey finish myself but they are supposed to have exactly the same functionality so I just went with the 360.

Gordon

I love the favourite channel option on the 785. I have all the foxtel channels programmed in and the remote displays their logo's next to the button to select them. Worth the admission price alone - I love my toys.

If you want one, try ebay. 785s can be had for under $200 if you go the auction route instead of buy it now.

I went into Officeworks today and pointed out the mistake to them, they didnt really care. I didnt really want the 360 one, i didnt like the colour and the xbox buttons, they had some 520's left over, they wanted 179 for them, but i pointed out that they had them for 99 pre xmas, so they gave me one for that price. After setting it up with just the basic wizard all I can say is WOW!!! these things are awesome!!! Only prob I found so far is that with the Panasonic TH-PV4260 the AV inputs are a toggle between HDMI 1/2, and if i change the TV channel before turning off, then the harmony doesnt seem to be able to switch back to HDMI 1. Doesnt really matter as I do all my video switching through the AMP, so I only ever turn the TV ON

Only prob I found so far is that with the Panasonic TH-PV4260 the AV inputs are a toggle between HDMI 1/2, and if i change the TV channel before turning off, then the harmony doesnt seem to be able to switch back to HDMI 1. Doesnt really matter as I do all my video switching through the AMP, so I only ever turn the TV ON

Set it up so it sends a command to go back to HDMI 1 on turning off of TV. This should fix it for you