Which universal remote?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have even worked out, via reading the manual, that with a couple of minor structure changes to my mx-850 I can make it activity based. eg:

Watch TV

Watch DVD

Watch Video

Use HTPC

Listn RADIO

Haven't you effectively reduced your 10 buttons down to 5.

No because I have 4 "Main" Pages to use and b4 I'd tried this i'd only used 1 of them. I have merely pushed the "actual" devices to page 2 where I can use them and the technically illerate wont see them by default. Now I just need a new GF to test it on. :blink:

At $500US for the MX850 it would want to be pretty good!

That's way out of my price range unfortunately. The Harmony is only $99 for the base model, or $160 for the wiz bang colour screen rechargeable.

It also can import other peoples pre-learned devices, and Pronto codes.

And the tracking feature is not a waste of time if don't want to spend hours/days programming it, or your device doesn't have discreets :blink:

But the MX850 would be flash, if I could justify the price

The Harmony is only $99 for the base model, or $160 for the wiz bang colour screen rechargeable.

Where did you get those prices from? According to Logitech's site the RRP of the colour rechargeable is US$249.95 and it's not even released yet. And the cheapest model is US$149.95.

Check www.froogle.com and many online retailers are taking pre-orders for the 880 at around $160-170

www.bluedo.com has the Harmony 659 for $94.95, but they haven't got the 880 listed yet

Also note on the Logitech site the RRP of the 880 is the same as the 688 at $249, and Bluedo's price for the 688 is $155...it's all becoming clearer! :blink:

Check www.froogle.com and many online retailers are taking pre-orders for the 880 at around $160-170

www.bluedo.com has the Harmony 659 for $94.95, but they haven't got the 880 listed yet

Also note on the Logitech site the RRP of the 880 is the same as the 688 at $249, and Bluedo's price for the 688 is $155...it's all becoming clearer!  :blink:

OK, doesn't sound quite as bad - but even $155 + $26 shipping = AU$231 still pretty expensive.

That's way out of my price range unfortunately. The Harmony is only $99 for the base model, or $160 for the wiz bang colour screen rechargeable.

And the tracking feature is not a waste of time if don't want to spend hours/days programming it, or your device doesn't have discreets  :blink:

I got the MX-850 via ebay all cost's included for $421AUS

And the tracking feature is not a waste of time if don't want to spend hours/days programming it, or your device doesn't have discreets  :blink:

But it is still far more expensive than the Harmony

But it is still far more expensive than the Harmony

The harmony doesn't come with Full RF Support an RF BaseStation & 6 IR flashes tho does it?

The MX-850 can control multiple identical devices and you can add multiple RF Base Stations and control everything in your entire house from the 1 Remote! The harmony's cant hold a candle to the MX-850 which is why I ponied up the cash for it - the harmonys were considered but they just didn't make the grade for my requirements. (my equipment is all behind the main seating location but facing in a direction parallel with the wall the screen is mounted on.)

I've almost decided on a Philips Pronto 6000, essentially for ergonomics.

Any one using this? Angelo?

Any personal reviews and/or any reason why I should get something else?

Thanks,

Steve

Wow Steve you have a very good memory !

I gave up on mine after I threw it against the lounge room wall !

It took for ever to charge the battery, then in only one nights use it used to drain dead flat.

I changed the charger,batteries and I even sent it off to Philips Australia which kindly reminded me that they dont import these into Australia so we cant help you.

Further more it was big and bulky, it didnt have enough hard buttons.

It really was the worst six hundread dollars Ive ever spent.

I own the MX-700 now and its JUST SO MUCH BETTER.

I’ve owned a marantz remote for a few years. The touch screen is similar to the proton, very annoying.

I have seen a HP/campaq PDA with a touch screen, called nevo software (i think) so it can be used as a remote, but never seen it in action.

Also note on the Logitech site the RRP of the 880 is the same as the 688 at $249, and Bluedo's price for the 688 is $155...it's all becoming clearer!  :blink:

OK, doesn't sound quite as bad - but even $155 + $26 shipping = AU$231 still pretty expensive.

When I asked David at Bluedo about a discount for Harmony remotes he replied,

"We created a new special shipping method just for our Australian customers - it's automatically available for any item or package under 3 lbs."

Not sure exactly how this works.

I've almost decided on a Philips Pronto 6000, essentially for ergonomics.

Any one using this? Angelo?

Any personal reviews and/or any reason why I should get something else?

Thanks,

Steve

Wow Steve you have a very good memory !

I gave up on mine after I threw it against the lounge room wall !

It took for ever to charge the battery, then in only one nights use it used to drain dead flat.

I changed the charger,batteries and I even sent it off to Philips Australia which kindly reminded me that they dont import these into Australia so we cant help you.

Further more it was big and bulky, it didnt have enough hard buttons.

It really was the worst six hundread dollars Ive ever spent.

I own the MX-700 now and its JUST SO MUCH BETTER.

Whilst it may be true that I have a very good memory, it is more pertinent to say that I know how to use the 'search' function on this forum!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm more inclined to go for the 7000, which has more hard buttons and seems to have universal acceptance from users. I've downloaded the software and am going to practice setting up all my stuff when I have more time (time? what is that strange concept?). If you still have your PCF files, I'd appreciate a look.

Steve

When I asked David at Bluedo about a discount for Harmony remotes he replied,

"We created a new special shipping method just for our Australian customers - it's automatically available for any item or package under 3 lbs."

Not sure exactly how this works.

I put a Harmony remote in the shopping cart and went to the checkout - there was a special shipping option for Australia only which had a cost of $26. So, I guess the $26 is the special price.

Whilst it may be true that I have a very good memory, it is more pertinent to say that I know how to use the 'search' function on this forum!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm more inclined to go for the 7000, which has more hard buttons and seems to have universal acceptance from users. I've downloaded the software and am going to practice setting up all my stuff when I have more time (time? what is that strange concept?). If you still have your PCF files, I'd appreciate a look.

Steve

Hi Steve

I made up my own PCF including all the foxtel channels, but heres the bad part I got rid of all of them when the remote landed in the bin.

Are you going to buy it from overseas?

Just becareful of the charging unit as its made for the American Voltage .

I have also been looking around at Universal Remote Controls for my AV system. I have tried a few but the problem is my wife can never use them... she always complains that the buttons on the new remote don't mean anything compared to the original like the round coloured buttons on Foxtel digital.

I have borrowed the Sunwave SRC7000 and have fallen in love with it - the wife can even use it as it allows full customization of each button on the PC then you can download it to the remote and all the icons can be replicated.

I have ordered one from Quantum Sphere in Sydney who are taking pre orders for their June shipment (new version) and who also kindly loaned me one of theirs for a few days.

Take a look at this link if you are interested:

http://www.sun-wave.com/products_1.php?product_id=1099473209

This is a very well priced unit and I would probably pick this one or the new Harmony that is mentioned in this post.

I have also been looking around at Universal Remote Controls for my AV system.  I have tried a few but the problem is my wife can never use them... she always complains that the buttons on the new remote don't mean anything compared to the original like the round coloured buttons on Foxtel digital.

I have borrowed the Sunwave SRC7000 and have fallen in love with it - the wife can even use it as it allows full customization of each button on the PC then you can download it to the remote and all the icons can be replicated.

I have ordered one from Quantum Sphere in Sydney who are taking pre orders for their June shipment (new version) and who also kindly loaned me one of theirs for a few days.

This is a very well priced unit and I would probably pick this one or the new Harmony that is mentioned in this post.

Nice looking remote. What price and can it be programmed to be 'Activity-based'?

This is what I like about the idea of the Harmony remotes. They are totally activity based, ie. 'Watch TV' or 'Watch TV' then take you to that particular screen with relevant buttons for that component. And because you don't have to chase up discrete codes; this is all done for you when you download your component model direct to the remote, via USB cable, they would appear to be much easier to programme.

I just ordered my Harmony 680 yesterday and will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.

I have also been looking around at Universal Remote Controls for my AV system.  I have tried a few but the problem is my wife can never use them... she always complains that the buttons on the new remote don't mean anything compared to the original like the round coloured buttons on Foxtel digital.

Nice looking remote. What price?

I just ordered my Harmony 680 yesterday and will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.

Hey dude

If you want one of these i have one sitting at home under the original brand if Crisp solutions

http://www.crispsolutions.com/pro616.htm

Hey dude

If you want one of these i have one sitting at home under the original brand if Crisp solutions

http://www.crispsolutions.com/pro616.htm

Glenn, you will note I have taken notice of one of your protractors, and deleted the previous message post, just leaving the relevant bit. Aren't I good!

Re your offer, boy what lousy timing! I just ordered and paid for my Harmony remote! I would be surprised though if the Sunwave or derivation would have the features and ease of operation and get-it-right-each time of the Harmony. Anyhow, the 'train's in motion now'! I will let you know how it performs when I lay hold of it. I can feel another 'road test' coming on! Have a good weekend buddy.

Looking to purchase a Harmony 628 or 676 since all my components were listed on their website "test drive" amazing even the old Marantz reciever was there.

However, was speaking to the Australian importer earlier today who advised that only the Harmony 628 is ready for Foxtel/Austar. Anyone out there using the 676 or 680 with their Foxtel/Austar please post if they work okay as I wish to purchase one through Bluedo (they are much cheaper than in Aus).

Rob

Looking to purchase a Harmony 628 or 676 since all my components were listed on their website "test drive" amazing even the old Marantz reciever was there.

However, was speaking to the Australian importer earlier today who advised that only the Harmony 628 is ready for Foxtel/Austar. Anyone out there using the 676 or 680 with their Foxtel/Austar please post if they work okay as I wish to purchase one through Bluedo (they are much cheaper than in Aus).

Rob

Provantage in the US are cheaper than Bluedo and are an authorised reseller. That is who I'm going through. AU$177 for the 680 landed here.

Rob

Provantage in the US are cheaper than Bluedo and are an authorised reseller. That is who I'm going through. AU$177 for the 680 landed here.

Thanks SPDF thats an excellent price I'll check them out

Rob

Thanks SPDF thats an excellent price I'll check them out

Also consider their 676 model, which they call 'Sports' (don't think it comes with a free baseball cap though). Mainly because it has more of a rubberised grip and feel and buttons than the 680, which has harder gem-style buttons. But, same price. I went for the 680 as it has alpha numeric channel buttons which are more helpful for me to name my recorded PVR programmes. But they are both identical 'under the hood' and perform all the same functions, so it is only personal preference. Can't wait till mine arrives.

You can see the differences in the link here:

http://www.lewishq.com/images/harmony_6XX_comparison.jpg

Actually, the 676 Sport might be better to throw at the dog when it 'lets one' during your favourite movie!