New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will post piccies tonight but be aware of a few things.

1. I will be wall mounting mine. The bloke is coming tomorrow to do a proper installation.

2. As a result the TV will be on the floor, at night. The pictures therefore may not do justice to the screen.

It is just that I am envisaging the camera flash may pose problems and show up on the screen.

I will connect it to a Teac 800 via DVI and a Samung HD937 via DVI.

Any other inputs eg component, composite or computer let me know.

Got mine today from Winston Hills.

Picture quality is great and i only set up with S-Video for DVD.

Am yet to connect for normal TV. ALthough i will be getting a Set Top Box HD propably Teac.

Some one mentioned buying one for $350. Where From ?

Went and got DVI cables and have connected to PC. Just pluged in and screen came up great. Looks very good possibly stretching screen but have not tryed changed setings to the higher resolution. Currently set at 1024 x 768. Just tryed 1280 x 768 which is says is the highest resolution but the screen went a bit funny and seemed to shift sideways. Will try more later.

It detects the screen as a LG DT-3003X.

Am yet to connect for normal TV. ALthough i will be getting a Set Top Box HD propably Teac.

Went and got DVI cables and have connected to PC. Just pluged in and screen came up great. Looks very good possibly stretching screen but have not tryed changed setings to the higher resolution. Currently set at 1024 x 768. Just tryed 1280 x 768 which is says is the highest resolution but the screen went a bit funny and seemed to shift sideways. Will try more later.

Sorry guy's

hit the wrong button,

gmb,

could you please advise what the insruction book says is the screen size and res?

Because this looks like the 26 or 30 inch model not 32" @ 1366x768

Thanks

Fritz

Sorry guy's

hit the wrong button,

gmb,

could you please advise what the insruction book says is the screen size and res?

Thanks

Fritz

Valid point - there may have been an assumption here on the boards 9including myself) that this was a second gen panel. Maybe it isn't.

Sorry guy's

hit the wrong button,

gmb,

Thanks

Fritz

Valid point - there may have been an assumption here on the boards 9including myself) that this was a second gen panel. Maybe it isn't.

In-store info says 1366x768, for what that's worth

Cheers

Zed

Valid point - there may have been an assumption here on the boards (including myself) that this was a second gen panel.  Maybe it isn't.

The panel is definitely second generation........ it just seems to be using the same processor board as the 26" which is first generation :blink:

Perhaps the firmware isn't able to fully compensate for this screen's differences in PC mode?

Cheers,

Peter

The panel is definitely second generation........ it just seems to be using the same processor board as the 26" which is first generation  :blink:

Is it possible to confirm this? Perhaps by checking the version of the firmware or even just the interface menus?

I guess with a generation change in processor board would probably come a change in the and firmware and interface menus etc.

It would be good to know.

Thanks,

Ashley.

so it's a second gen panel simply cos it's native res is 1366x768 but a first gen since it can't display 1280x768 and above correctly (ie it's shifted to the right) using DVI?

and lemme ask again... is the input switching still slow as? are there discrete input buttons on the remote?

I bought the 66cm AWA and want to get this one, I still have the box/receipt but the return desk at my store is pretty tight to the policy, what excuse could I use? 

Just do the honest thing and sell it on Ebay, then buy the one you want.

If you do a frauduent return, it doesn't exactly encourage BigW to provide similar product offers in future.

Have you had more of a chance to try it at higher resolutions on DVI? How far did it shift sideways for you?

For those having with vertical shift see this article and those wanting independent review on how these perform with computers (Media Box orientation). I think this maybe the same LCD under the 'skin'

Picture shots and full orientated computer review use:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1253

It would be only be a matter of time before other import "brandings" hit our shores.

DA

I bought the 66cm AWA and want to get this one, I still have the box/receipt but the return desk at my store is pretty tight to the policy, what excuse could I use? 

If you do a frauduent return, it doesn't exactly encourage BigW to provide similar product offers in future.

I would lose a few hundred dollars then :blink:

Such is life! :P

How long have u had the 66 if only for a short time. Take it back and tell them its interfereing with your phone <cordless> try another 66 then go back and say its the same and u contacted the service dept and they said to pay xtra for 81 as it has a better tuner. Presto new 81 telly

How long have u had the 66 if only for a short time. Take it back and tell them its interfereing with your phone <cordless> try another 66 then go back and say its the same and u contacted the service dept and they said to pay xtra for 81 as it has a better tuner. Presto new 81 telly

If you're serious, I'm pissed off. We all pay in the long run for this sort of BS. I don't like getting crappy service from retailers, but it's not hard to see why they dish it out if they get this sort of garbage from customers!

6pennycarp, do the right thing and accept that you changed your mind when a new model came out. AFAIK, Big W don't trade-in, but there should be no difficulty off-loading an almost-new 66" for a fair price. I've considered asking Angelo if he's still got his as an 81cm is too big for the wall unit in which I've got a 3rd TV that's overdue for replacement. Unfortunately, I don't think even the 66" will fit, but I'm looking at the possibilities.

The advice given by digit is the sort of thing I'd expect from the **** that just left a large door ding in my car. (Might help to explain my current frame of mind!)