Sign in to follow this  
chrissara

New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

Can anyone have a look in the service menu to see if you can fix the contract problem with 720P/1080i (Look for a contrast value that strictly applies to those resolutions.). It's really starting to annoy me having to adjust it from the PC!

Before I was watching TV and a Rebok ad came on that had a white background. I reset the PC default values to normal and the background was pure white, then I lowered it down so the contrast was normal and low and behold that white background became white with heaps of black logos.

All that image information lost because AWA screwed up.

Someone with the 32" model....how big is the screen vertically. I am looking at it for 4:3 shows and want it to be as big as my 68cm. 42cm is what the 68cm is top to bottom.

In regards to the technical aspects of HTPC. I've been doing this for some five years. I suppose it is rather telling on the way I post.

<snip>

DA

<G> Maybe I'm too much of an engineer, but I do like your 'leave nothing out' approach to posting. It certainly has enlightened me to how much there is to learn about the art - and I thought that I had done pretty good research before I bought my current setup.

Please press on. At the very least you have probably already written about 90% of your TAFE course material.

cheers,

Matt

Someone with the 32" model....how big is the screen vertically. I am looking at it for 4:3 shows and want it to be as big as my 68cm. 42cm is what the 68cm is top to bottom.

Hi Boxall

This is the reason I went for the 32" AWA as I had a TEAC 68cm TV and I wanted at least the same height. Unfortunately I'm OS at the moment and I can not give you the exact measurement but from memory the AWA is about 4-5mm smaller in height than my origonal 68 cm TV.

Regards Gary

slightly off topic - noticed Panasales in Vic have thier Eurotel 81cm LCD on special for $1998 in today's Green Guide. Supposedly has a Philips screen, not sure on inputs though.

Hi Boxall

This is the reason I went for the 32" AWA as I had a TEAC 68cm TV and I wanted at least the same height. Unfortunately I'm OS at the moment and I can not give you the exact measurement but from memory the AWA is about 4-5mm smaller in height than my origonal 68 cm TV.

Regards Gary

Thanks for that. Do you notice the diff? Also after going from the 68cm to the 80cm widescreen does it all look MUCH bigger?

Thanks for that. Do you notice the diff? Also after going from the 68cm to the 80cm widescreen does it all look MUCH bigger?

Well I first got a STB and so I was watching WS TV on my 4:3 TV first so when I got the AWA and watched the WS shows they were much bigger.

I'm very happy with my setup as I was going to get a 86cm CRT but space wise it would not fit.

Gary

slightly off topic - noticed Panasales in Vic have thier Eurotel 81cm LCD on special for $1998 in today's Green Guide.  Supposedly has a Philips screen, not sure on inputs though.

Only a VGA input - no DVI, I think...

I've noticed a quirk with my AWA 81cm. If I tape a show on my analogue VCR (straight from the antenna ie using the VCR intenral tuner), when it plays pack it appears to be in a letterbox style where the black bars at the top and bottom are of a different thichness. I do not seem to see this problem if I watch TV through the VCR to the LCD (not that I ever do, just as a test:-).

The LCD is set to 4:3 mode. The VCR is connected to the TV via the AV1 composite input.

It's almost as if the TV is having difficulty resizing the VCR signal to fit on the screen.

It's not a big deal because now that I have widescreen I hate to tape programs and watch them in 4:3 and I plan to upgrade to a PVR as soon as the HD prices become resonable.

Any ideas?

Josh.

Hi Guys,

Big W has informed me ALL stores are receiving stock of the awa 81cm by the end of next week!

I'm currently leaning towards getting an LG 3200TF which i can get for about $2250~.

As far as i can tell - for an extra $250 i can get 1000:1 contrast ratio, 8ms response & a 3-Year Warranty - which i think is worth the extra. Is there something i'm missing here?

Has anyone had any experience with the LG L3200TF and is able to compare it with the AWA?

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys,

Big W has informed me ALL stores are receiving stock of the awa 81cm by the end of next week!

I'm currently leaning towards getting an LG 3200TF which i can get for about $2250~.

As far as i can tell - for an extra $250 i can get 1000:1 contrast ratio, 8ms response & a 3-Year Warranty - which i think is worth the extra. Is there something i'm missing here?

Has anyone had any experience with the LG L3200TF and is able to compare it with the AWA?

Thanks in advance

LG 32" LCD for $2250??? Where? What model is that anyway. Never heard of it.

Are you sure about 8ms?

Big W in Brisbane (Stafford) have stock of the AWA.

$3250 is around cost on the unit. Althought they are listed on eBay and various pc shops for $2400~

The L3200TF model is listed under the IT section > LCD MONIOTR > Large Format Screens. Which brings me to another question - anyone know what the main differences are between the other LG 32" LCD Tvs?

Link HERE

I saw that LG 32" model on ebay too. Where can you get it for $2,250?

And do you know how many inputs it has?

$3250 is around cost on the unit. Althought they are listed on eBay and various pc shops for $2400~

The L3200TF model is listed under the IT section > LCD MONIOTR > Large Format Screens. Which brings me to another question - anyone know what the main differences are between the other LG 32" LCD Tvs?

Link HERE

Think it is a monitor with a tuner. Not a TV as such. So no speakers and limited home theatre options.

Click Here for some more info.

It has Detatchable Speakers - 10w x 2.

32" 16:9

1366 x 768 WXGA Native Res

8ms Response

S-Video, Composite, Component, DVD-D & D-Sub INPUTS

Audio In

PIP and Split Screen functions

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1(AI) 500:1 (Typical)

Brightness: 500 cd/m2

Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical) 178/178

3 Year on site Warranty

$2,353 here

I've only been looking at getting an LCD for the past week or so and today i went and checked a few out - a few were playing dvds, the PQ on some looked perfect and on others it was horrible and pixelated - looked like a DivX was playing on it - i assume this is just the way they have it hooked up?

At this stage i think i'll go the LG L3200TF over the AWA.

I am getting the AWA because it has the multiple inputs an I don't want to upgrade my amp and other equipment.

DVD (component)

HD (dvi)

VCR, Fox, PS/2 (S-video)

The big w i am getting it from is going to let me inspect for no dead pixels prior to leaving the store (So long as i do it when not busy - eg: tonight).

They just got more stock in this morning... so anyway, fingers crossed.

Click Here for some more info.

It has Detatchable Speakers - 10w x 2.

32" 16:9

1366 x 768 WXGA Native Res

8ms Response

S-Video, Composite, Component, DVD-D & D-Sub INPUTS

Audio In

PIP and Split Screen functions

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1(AI) 500:1 (Typical)

Brightness: 500 cd/m2

Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical) 178/178

3 Year on site Warranty

$2,353 here

I've only been looking at getting an LCD for the past week or so and today i went and checked a few out - a few were playing dvds, the PQ on some looked perfect and on others it was horrible and pixelated - looked like a DivX was playing on it - i assume this is just the way they have it hooked up?

At this stage i think i'll go the LG L3200TF over the AWA.

But why is it $1000 cheaper than the standard LG 32" LCD TV? Somehting is missing.

Looks like there is a few Features that are not listed with the L3200TF

Progressive Scan

DAFI(Digital Adaptive Fine Image)

DASP Surround

DCDi

Well the wonderful people at BiG W at QV Melbourne set up my AWA 81cm in the store, hooked it up, let me run a series of tests for dead pixels, and helped me rebox it to take home.

What a great service experience.

No dead pixels "YAY". I'll buy this one :blink:

so I have hooked everything up via S-Video through my amp for now (until I can get some component switching going.

All I can say is that the PQ has blown me away. It is fantastic.

I hooked it up to my PC, and it performs better than my Samsung 19" DVI 913P LCD.

Where can I download the THX optimizer to check the contrast though ?

Most THX DVDs have an optimiser built in...

sugarfreegum said

Hi Guys,

Big W ads in the letter box have the 81cm LCD back in them for this next 7days.

yeah BigW QV melbourne got stock yesterday morning. The staff were busily trying to find the names of people who had asked to be notified....

let's hope this time they have excess stock and reduce the price to clear although I am prob dreaming as usual hhehehe.

Hi Boxall

Regards Gary

:blink:

Approximate active display area's;

81cm (32") 16:9 panel; Width = ~57cm, Height = ~34cm

68cm (27") 4:3 CRT; Width = ~55cm, Height = ~41.5cm

94cm (37") 16:9 panel; Width = ~82cm, Height = ~46cm

By my estimation based on the above a 16:9 "letterbox" view on a 68cm is very close in apparent screen size to the a full image on a 81cm widescreen panel. A 94cm (37") widescreen panel is about the minimum to get in order to maintain a similar, actually larger, vertical height to a 68cm CRT (displaying a 4:3 image).

The above is incorrect, should be;

66cm (26") 16:9 panel; Width = ~57cm, Height = ~34cm

81cm (32") 16:9 panel; Width = ~70cm, Height = ~39cm

68cm (27") 4:3 CRT; Width = ~55cm, Height = ~41.5cm

94cm (37") 16:9 panel; Width = ~82cm, Height = ~46cm

So, yes an 81cm/32inch widescreen panel is indeed a good substitute/replacement for a 68cm 4:3 CRT :P