Sign in to follow this  
chrissara

New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

Are you forum people reccommending this set...yes/no.

It's a little to big for my wall units so I will go to Big W and take a tape measure and see if it would squeeze in.

Based on my experience with the 26" model, I would say yes it is highly recommended based on the features vs price equation. (if you get a good one, if not take it back and swap it over!)

Dimensions: 925x263x545mm with stand, 925x97x491mm without.

Does any body have any info on response time of this unit. ????

The previous model never mentioned response time. What it given in the documents supplied with the 26 inch model ?

It is also hard to tell if the screen is any good when set up in the shop.

No direct info on this unit (or the 26" for that matter) but the 26" has a response time of 16ms which is all that is required (anything less than 24ms will negate most problems). Given that the 32" appears to have the same circuit board I would anticipate that it is also 16ms........

Every 26" that I saw set up at BigW was connected by composite which looked shite! I can assure you that on the 26" component (DVD) and DVI (Teac HD STB) are both stunning! :blink:

Don't bother asking the staff at BigW if you could see it connected up by component tho as all I got were blank looks.....

Cheers,

Peter

I have 880mm width but there is a bit of room for some overlap to the wall unit next door/ I will definately go and have a look. Just at this very moment my NEC CRT is playing up so I am looking for a replacement and this Big W price is right.

Not looking for the perfect LCD just something to watch sport on. (v8 supercars/Nascars etc)

Just wondering how big an issue the contrast ratio of this (32" AWA) TV is (500:1 I believe) compared to others (eg 800:1 for the Sharp)??? Likewise 500 cd/m2??? Are there more important specs to be considering with LCD??? Pretty new to the whole LCD, plasma etc. game so non-tech answer would be great.

Are people still happy with their 66cm AWA???

Cheers,

DS

Just remember guys - there is no need to rush. This is the year of cheap LCD.

Hi

Ditto ; WW(Wise Words).

Regards

Basil

I'm in the market for a new LCD around this size 66cm and this sounds like it's a good deal.

My concern...

PQ? say you compare this to a Sharp or a known brand, will it be as good if it was connected properly to a digital box etc...

Yeah dude, absolutely. Even now, nothing gets close to it within $1000 of its price.

How about quality? It's obviously too early to assess this but I would be a little nervous about it. Whilst I'd be more comfortable buying a 'cheap' LCD such as this than a cheap HD plasma I'd be wanting a decent warranty (and searching for exclusions in the small print.)

Yeah dude, absolutely. Even now, nothing gets close to it within $1000 of its price.

How about quality? It's obviously too early to assess this but I would be a little nervous about it. Whilst I'd be more comfortable buying a 'cheap' LCD such as this than a cheap HD plasma I'd be wanting a decent warranty (and searching for exclusions in the small print.)

WOW this sounds like a good deal .... I'm actually looking to replace my 19" CRT Philips monitor in my bedroom, and looking to get an LCD TV that will work with PC.

Couple of questions,

1. Will 32" be too big for my bedroom? I understand, that it will look greate when watching TV/DVD from a distance, but what if I'm at my desk working/surfing the web on my computer - I'll only be a couple of feet away. Will the 32" screen look okay from that distance for PC use via DVI.

2. How does it compare to the known "brands". I am actually interested in the Sharp Aquos range. The are the highest quality IMO. So how would the 32" AWA compare to the Sharp 32" - which also has a resolution of 1366x768, but with contrast of 800:1.

3. Anyone know what's the highest resolution to the PC this can go to? I know that the sharp can go to WXGA format of 1366x768@60Hz

4. How can thy sell it this cheap? What's the catch? Is it a dodgy panel - like factory seconds from LG/Philips, cheap china stuff etc

WOW this sounds like a good deal .... I'm actually looking to replace my 19" CRT Philips monitor in my bedroom, and looking to get an LCD TV that will work with PC.

Couple of questions,

1.  Will 32" be too big for my bedroom? I understand, that it will look greate when watching TV/DVD from a distance, but what if I'm at my desk working/surfing the web on my computer - I'll only be a couple of feet away.  Will the 32" screen look okay from that distance for PC use via DVI.

2.  How does it compare to the known "brands".  I am actually interested in the Sharp Aquos range.  The are the highest quality IMO.  So how would the 32" AWA compare to the Sharp 32" - which also has a resolution of 1366x768, but with contrast of 800:1.

3. Anyone know what's the highest resolution to the PC this can go to?  I know that the sharp can go to WXGA format of 1366x768@60Hz

4. How can thy sell it this cheap?  What's the catch?  Is it a dodgy panel - like factory seconds from LG/Philips, cheap china stuff etc

Well........

1. depends on the size of your bedroom but may be getting a bit too big for a computer monitor. (a 66cm might suit better)

2. for a third of the price of the sharp with a no questions asked return policy (in 14 days), it's probably worth taking a punt.

3. won't know until it is released and you can look at the owner's manual, it's certainly there in the 66cm's owners manual.

4. made in Korea actually.... but the answer in one word? TURNOVER!

Cheers,

Peter

First my questions:

Of course, I want to use one of these units via its DVI input.

However, I also want to be able to use it with RGB - is that possible?

Or composite - I think someone mentioned that the quality of the composite picture on the 26" was very poor - why is that?

Now my comments:

To those folks who recommend "taking it slow" - you just want to get one first! :-)

Joking of course. This is the year of the cheaper LCD, but you can always wait for something cheaper (ad infinitum).

To those folks who want assurances that it has the quality and warranty of a unit twice the price - you probably should buy the expensive units :-)

Cheers,

Ashley.

Yes - RGB or rather VGA.

Yes - DVI or rather DVI-D = HDMI equivalent.

I think someone mentioned that the quality of the composite picture on the 26" was very poor - why is that?

Why wouldn't it? Even some expensive plasmas have a hard time with low grade signals like this.

That RCA video output/output was desinged for VCRs for starters. You would only use that if you desperate to play a VCR video or quickly plug in a digital CAM corder. (quality was excellent fro a JVC cam corder BTW)

Think composite - think VCR - long live SVHS. Why do you think DVD's took over rentals in video stores overnight?

DA

Now my comments:

To those folks who recommend "taking it slow" - you just want to get one first! :-)

This is the year of the cheaper LCD, but you can always wait for something cheaper (ad infinitum).

Cheers,

Ashley.

This is true (waiting ad infinitum) but 1 thing to remember is that they will soon be bringing out panels that do 1080p (even if broadcast is 1080i it will up scale to 1080p) and all the current stock that only do 1080i will drop in price like lead balloons.

tsd

This is true (waiting ad infinitum)  but 1 thing to remember is that they will soon be bringing out panels that do 1080p (even if broadcast is 1080i it will up scale to 1080p) and all the current stock that only do 1080i will drop in price like lead balloons.

tsd

Hi Ted,

Now that is a serious reason. 1080 lines would be very nice indeed.

However, I guess it will be a while before we see these type of specs at the price of the AWA?

That said, and as you suggest, current LCDs (including the AWA) will probably drop in price.

BTW, what time period are we talking about for these panels, this year?

Cheers,

Ashley.

This is true (waiting ad infinitum)  but 1 thing to remember is that they will soon be bringing out panels that do 1080p (even if broadcast is 1080i it will up scale to 1080p) and all the current stock that only do 1080i will drop in price like lead balloons.

tsd

Hi Ted,

However, I guess it will be a while before we see these type of specs at the price of the AWA?

That said, and as you suggest, current LCDs (including the AWA) will probably drop in price.

Cheers,

Ashley.

Ah yes this 1080p scare on the horizon. I think you'll find that such displays 80cm would not be noticed as a difference between a 786p vertical and 1080p panel from a 2 meter distance. It would be a waste of your money.

To appreciate a 76cm LCD panel at 1080p you'd have to be watching from less then 1 meter distance!

DA

Ah yes this 1080p scare on the horizon. I think you'll find that such displays 80cm would not be noticed as a difference between a 786p vertical and 1080p panel from a 2 meter distance. It would be a waste of your money.

To appreciate a 76cm LCD panel at 1080p you'd have to be watching from less then 1 meter distance!

DA

I would have thought u would easily tell the difference between a 1920 x 1080 1080p panel and a 1366 x 768 pannel both say at 81cm?

Sharp LC-45G1U & LC-45GX6U 1920 x 1080p LCD TVs already out.

tsd

I would have thought u would easily tell the difference between a 1920 x 1080 1080p panel and a 1366 x 768 pannel both say at 81cm?

Sharp LC-45G1U & LC-45GX6U 1920 x 1080p LCD TVs already out.

tsd

Yeah a 115cm screen for $12000 or more!

And it's the only one out there.....

The only real benefit of a 1080 line screen over a 768 line screen in sub 80cm size would be for computer monitor use IMHO.

Cheers,

Peter

The only real benefit of a 1080 line screen over a 768 line screen in sub 80cm size would be for computer monitor use IMHO.

Cheers,

Peter

Yeah the 1080 lines would make a sub 80cm tv a real computer screen alternative. Imagine the resolution u could set it at with a good video card!!

But wouldnt it also be how good the tv up scaler was? I mean watching HDTV would be native on 1080 lines, a 768 would have to up scale.

However, that aside if the 81cm AWA is $1998 what could it drop to in 6 months? Maybe down to $1500 at most and it would probably take a few months more than that for this size screen to hit the sub $1000 mark. So really this screen should be pretty good value for money in this throw away society.

The price is good enuf for me to go take a very close look when they come out.

tsd

So why is this not an item sold as part of their normal stock @ Big W!

cheers laurie

tsd

Hi Ted,

Cheers,

Ashley.

Hi

Everyone has to make up their own mind when and what they purchase, and there will always be something cheaper and better around the corner. The AWA seems a good buy, if you want a 80cm LCD, its seems hard to imagine the price dropping much below the $2000 mark in the short term its just that there will be several brands to choose from and the 106cm Plasmas priced at just a few hunded $ more.

The joint Sony/Samsung Plant started production last Month with over 30,000 7th generations substrates being produced pm. The 2nd Sony/Samsung Plant in Asan(in South Chungong Province on opposite side of town to the LG/Philips Plant) is due to begin production later this year or early 2006. Point being these new Plants are designed to produce the larger 40" and 46" panels for TV's at very low costs so you can see the 80cm LCD's will be the equivalent of a 51cm CRT in a year or so.(IMPO)

Interesting times ahead , thats for sure.

Regards

Basil

Very interesting times indeed, trying to keep up with the technology and trying to keep the wallet closed long enough before some better comes along. Chasing your tail in this technological age is a part of life we have to accept.

Also regarding the Big W question in an earlier post. Big W has really only recently started selling mid range electrical equipment of any substance including gear like laptop computers as well. You must remember they are the equivalent of a Walmart in the US, but on a much smaller basis and will be expanding into a bigger retailer into the future which this new strategy of breaking into home theatre is a part of!!

Either way they are providing good products ie. AWA 66cm LCD TVs at reasonable prices, I no complain!!! :blink::P

Have returned my AR to get one of these.

Spoke to BigW where I live. They are in stock on Wednesday. They "may" sell me one even though the catalogue isn't out.

Will post some piccies when it is wall mounted. On that point could someone tell me if you can get a wall mount for this TV. I assume its weight will be around 22-25 kgs.

Would prefer a wall mount that swings the monitor rather than fixed to the wall per se.

I've sent an email to Big W asking if I can exchange the 66cm AWA for the new model. Although I bought the 66 about 5 weeks ago and I'm out of the return period, I was unaware at the time that the aspect ratio on the 66 was actually 15:9. None of their instore advertising made any reference to this fact. A little misleading I feel. Had I known that at the time then I probably would of held off. I can live with it if need be, but given the opportunity to upgrade to the newer model and pay the price difference, I would gladly do it.

I tried to speak with our local Big W store, but I just got the run-around and they kept telling me to ring AWA??? So I've sent an email off to the GM of Big W Australia. We'll see what happens!

please post your reports once they are in everyone's hot little hands. I may venture down to my local Big W store Wed to see what I can find... anyone know what the reponse / seek time is in ms? (ie for playing computer games such as V8 Supercars 2?

andys, the aspect ratio is 16:9 - it's just that the pixels are slightly rectangular. At any rate, you face the same problem (and resolution) that all LCD display owners faced until recently. I suspect your main motivation is to get the bigger display without having to pay changeover costs, not anything to do with the aspect ratio (you're welcome to prove me wrong on this)...

I think most of us here have faced, at one time or another, the sinking feeling that comes from having something better and cheaper come along. I don't really think you have much of an argument because it does what it says on the box (unless it has some dead pixels of course)...