New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

I went into BigW today, with the intention of buying the AWA 81cm TV. Only one problem now, they had two models on display. I cant One was "AWA TFT-D81" and the other was "AWA TFT-D81G". One appears to be bigger than the other. My question is which one do i buy? Which one is actually better?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin

The 81G is actually a slightly newer model, though I believe the difference is really only aesthetic apart from the fact taht the newer model has a 3 year warranty, the older only 1 year. I believe the panel is exactly the same. If you want to make sure you get the newer model, it comes in a red/brown box, the older one I think was in a blue box.

Grant

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin

The 81G is actually a slightly newer model, though I believe the difference is really only aesthetic apart from the fact taht the newer model has a 3 year warranty, the older only 1 year. I believe the panel is exactly the same. If you want to make sure you get the newer model, it comes in a red/brown box, the older one I think was in a blue box.

Grant

The old model actually has 2 year warranty. You can see the specs of the old model here

http://www.decktron.com/products/lcd_32_b.html

and the new model here

http://www.decktron.com/products/lcd_32_g.html

Doesn't appear to be much difference. Still best to go with the newer one just for the extra warranty.

• 3 months later...
That's more like it, I was starting the wonder what all the fuss was about priced at $1999 when you can buy a Panasonic TX-32LWD500A (HDMI input and intergrated HD tuner) for ~$2800.

A friend just bought one prior to XMAS and paid only $1495! Good Value. The 91cm is also coming down in price at around $2495.

OK. I've had this tv from about 4 months now. And if i bought it now it would cost $300 less :blink:.

I waxed lyrical about how good it was when i bought it (on this site). Now i've used it for a while I'll add some more. The LG/Philips panel has a somewhat purple glow to it when viewed from certain angles. Weird. It's also pretty bad at dark scenes. Bright scenes look good. AV input select is slow and cycles through each input one at a time. A full cycle might take 25-30s! The panel is also fairly slow, you get some blurring on fast movement -- but you get used to it.

So yeah for the price I guess its OK. Although you might want to wait as rumour has it the price of LCDs is set to half this year...

OK. I've had this tv from about 4 months now. And if i bought it now it would cost $300 less :blink:.

I waxed lyrical about how good it was when i bought it (on this site). Now i've used it for a while I'll add some more. The LG/Philips panel has a somewhat purple glow to it when viewed from certain angles. Weird. It's also pretty bad at dark scenes. Bright scenes look good. AV input select is slow and cycles through each input one at a time. A full cycle might take 25-30s! The panel is also fairly slow, you get some blurring on fast movement -- but you get used to it.

So yeah for the price I guess its OK. Although you might want to wait as rumour has it the price of LCDs is set to half this year...

Do you use ambient backlighting with your panel thepigs? Also, which one have you got, the 81 or 94?

Without comparing it side by side with other panels, which I haven't, you have to be impressed with what you get for the money. It would have to be one of the best BFYB panels available, especially with 3yr warranty. I do agree with some of your points though. It doesn't have the widest viewing angle and cycling through the inputs is a pain. Why they didn't add direct access buttons on the remote I don't know. Speaking of remote it's very lazy. It really needs to be pointed straight on and directly at the receiver to work well. By contrast, my Loewe remote can be pointed at the floor, ceiling or otherside of the room and it works. Does the 94cm have the same problems?

Edited by my98redrex

There's nothing wrong with the remote. It's the sensor in the tv that is the problem. Or more specifically, the combination of the mirror and the sensor being off-center to the hole. My sensor is off to the left and slightly up a bit. If I use the remote from the right of the tv it works fine. But anywhere to the left I need to point it directly at the sensor.

Apart from solid blacks becoming a dark purple, the viewing angle is brilliant! You could watch it almost from the side, if that's your thing. Though do I remember it wasn't this good when I first got it!?!?

At the time when I bought mine there was no Panasonic TX-32LWD500A available, IIRC. And if there was, it certainly was not only $2800. Equivalent 81cm LCD TVs started at $3500.

What I don't like about my 81cm:

1) Slow input changing.

2) Needing to cycle through all the inputs (or multi-media inputs) just to go "down" one input.

3) Excessive overscan.

4) Slightly off-center picture - noticeable when 16:9 is broadcast as 4:3 with side bars.

5) If I pause playback of a recording (or use FWD/REW or Slo-Mo) any 45-degree diagonal lines appear jagged (like the lines on a tennis court when the camera is off to one side).

You get used to 1 to 4. But 5 is constantly annoying.

There's nothing wrong with the remote. It's the sensor in the tv that is the problem. Or more specifically, the combination of the mirror and the sensor being off-center to the hole. My sensor is off to the left and slightly up a bit. If I use the remote from the right of the tv it works fine. But anywhere to the left I need to point it directly at the sensor.

Apart from solid blacks becoming a dark purple, the viewing angle is brilliant! You could watch it almost from the side, if that's your thing. Though do I remember it wasn't this good when I first got it!?!?

At the time when I bought mine there was no Panasonic TX-32LWD500A available, IIRC. And if there was, it certainly was not only $2800. Equivalent 81cm LCD TVs started at $3500.

What I don't like about my 81cm:

1) Slow input changing.

2) Needing to cycle through all the inputs (or multi-media inputs) just to go "down" one input.

3) Excessive overscan.

4) Slightly off-center picture - noticeable when 16:9 is broadcast as 4:3 with side bars.

5) If I pause playback of a recording (or use FWD/REW or Slo-Mo) any 45-degree diagonal lines appear jagged (like the lines on a tennis court when the camera is off to one side).

You get used to 1 to 4. But 5 is constantly annoying.

Maybe item 5 is a function of your input device. When I pause a dvd or digital tv, it's perfect. Ditto cue and review.

Apart from turning it on or off, I never use the remote as all channel changes are done through STB and I only use one AV input and change the source on my AV amp.

I've always suspected my toppy was to blame. And I don't remember ever seeing it from my dvd player. But as I was posting my comments above I plugged the toppy into an old crt tv and the awa at the same time. When I paused the tennis the awa displayed the jagged lines while the old crt tv did not.

The reason is quite simple. Normal SDTV is interlaced. When you pause, it is only showing 1/2 the vertical resolution (as it pauses on one FIELD not FRAME). On a fairly decent digital device, this will be quite easily detected. On a CRT, it won't be really (as the CRT will simply be interlacing two of the same fields together, but is a poorer device at showing the full resolution anyway).

Regards

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I thought I would instead of starting a new thread.

Just regarding this LCD tv and the use of a PVR, I am looking at buying a OVR which has s-video, RCA, and RGB output.

With this TV, will I be able to watch it using RGB output or will I have to get some other adapter, or watch it via s-video?

Thanks...

Funny enough the RGB cables have red green and blue plugs on the ends of them .You should not pay more than 30 dollars.

On your telly they should be the third set of RCA sockets (group of 5 )from the left. on the underside, You should see the accompanying white and red audio RCA inputs .

Thanks.

At the moment I have connected up a STB which outputs Composite, s-video, component and RGB. It is connected through component, but I am trying to play it through RGB at the moment (with the component cables). Any tips?

I don't want to buy the new PVR and find out the RGB won't work.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this screen will not be able accept the signal from the PVR....

There are broadly speaking common 3 types of RGB,

- Component

- RGBs

- RGBHV (VGA)

The PVR outputs RGBs

The screen accepts Component & RGBHV

To get the screen to accept the RGBs signal it needs to be converted to either RGBHV or Component which is achieved by a powered converter box which costs around $100 these days.

See this thread for more info on RGB signal types and connections.

Cheers,

Peter