New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this thread with great interest and decided to buy the 81cm AWA.

Went to Big W Macquarie Centre today and they were kind enough to show me a new one to test if there were no dead pixels. Turned the TV on, switched to the AV1 channel (with a deep blue colour) and immediately noticed a stuck pixel (green colour). I asked them to open another one but they refused, saying that I could get them repaired if there were more than 9 dead pixels. Hmm...can dead pixels be repaired?

Is it unreasonable for me to expect to buy this TV with no dead pixels? The only other Big W which lets me test one before buying is Auburn.

Any advice or suggestions?

You cannot repair a dead pixel in a panel - the screen would need to be replaced.

It's not really undreasonable to expect it although there is a reason why there are dead pixel policies, in that they're almost imperceptible at normal viewing distances and it's nearly impossible to guarantee that all those (millions?) of pixels will work perfectly, even 6 sigma QA can't gaurantee that.

The reason for dead pixel policies is commercial rather than technical. It's quite easy to guarantee a error-free panel from the factory, all you need to do is set the deadpixelometer on the automated tester at the panel factory to "zero" instead of the number it is currently set at. At this point the number of dead-pixel panels leaving the factory is equal to the reliability of the QA system.

However if panel manufacturers discarded every panel with a dead pixel then the panel price at the store would necessarily increase to cover the lost production. For example allowing no dead pixels may only give a factory a yield of 50%, wheeras allowing 9 dead pixles may give a yield of 99.9% To be able to offer a panel at a particular price the manufacturer needs a certain panel yield, and to achieve this yield they need to tolerate a certain number of dead pixels, as reflected in their dead pixel policies.

Having said all this I don't think you are being at all unreasonable either , and I think you were wise to ask to see the panel in the store.

As nobby suggests I'd try another store too (or go back to the same store and ask to see a different panel). Explain to them that a condition of you buying a panel is that you get to verify that it has no dead pixels, and ask then to power up the panel.

If they say no ask to see the manager, if he says no go up to Dick Smith at Macquarie centre and look at their 81cm model for $1799. From what I can see it compares quite favourably with the AWA.

Josh.

I've been reading this thread with great interest and decided to buy the 81cm AWA.

Went to Big W Macquarie Centre today and they were kind enough to show me a new one to test if there were no dead pixels. Turned the TV on, switched to the AV1 channel (with a deep blue colour) and immediately noticed a stuck pixel (green colour). I asked them to open another one but they refused, saying that I could get them repaired if there were more than 9 dead pixels. Hmm...can dead pixels be repaired?

Is it unreasonable for me to expect to buy this TV with no dead pixels? The only other Big W which lets me test one before buying is Auburn.

Any advice or suggestions?

Good Job checking! You won't feel ripped off now. If there are dead pixels i don't want it. The manufacturers see it as reasonable. Unfortunately the consumer does not. The ony way this issue will be resolved is if consumers make the retailers life HELL and demand no dead pixels. This might cause a price rise, but if retailers are constantly being forced to unpack boxes, then this causes a price rise also, just at retail instead of wholesale

I recommend to everyone to only ever buy an LCD with the condition of there being no dead pixels. Then if there are any dead ones, it is the retailers problem, and not the consumer. When the retailer has lots of problems, they push back to the wholesalers and manufacturers and eventually this will be a thing of the past.

• 1 month later...

My 66cm AWA has now got a black spot (presumably a dead pixel). I had originaly thought dead pixels only came when you bought them?

Anyway I don't think Big W's policy covers dead pixels but I'm not sure, I'm the kind of person that gets REALLY annoyed by this sort of thing and now when ever I watch it alls I do is keep looking at it and getting more pissed off.

Any ideas?

My 66cm AWA has now got a black spot (presumably a dead pixel). I had originaly thought dead pixels only came when you bought them?

Anyway I don't think Big W's policy covers dead pixels but I'm not sure, I'm the kind of person that gets REALLY annoyed by this sort of thing and now when ever I watch it alls I do is keep looking at it and getting more pissed off.

Any ideas?

BigW have a chart in the store for how many dead pixels u must have before they will repair the unit.

And yes, its possible for them to go bad after time, but you are right that most happen up front when you buy em. My wifes Hitachi lcd monitor is coming on 4 years now, still A1 perfect (I checked when I bought it for no pixels)

luck of the draw...

well ive had the ACER 81cm for a week now and i can only describe its performance one way ,BRILLIANT!

Im so glad i checked out dse first before getting the awa at Big W.

Far superior product,IMO. :blink:.

FAT

PS ,,,even the Mrs agrees and thats saying something,,,shes always so synicle about any new toy i buy .

• 2 weeks later...

I went into BigW today, with the intention of buying the AWA 81cm TV. Only one problem now, they had two models on display. I cant One was "AWA TFT-D81" and the other was "AWA TFT-D81G". One appears to be bigger than the other. My question is which one do i buy? Which one is actually better?

Thanks, Kevin