New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to hear why people are using these screens as monitors and why they have chosem them over a conventional LCD.

Josh

I never thought about it (I assumed that most of the users here would chose to do so because they use the AWA with their HT PCs so its hooked up already. Its not like you'd use the AWA to do stuff like photoshop... etc. For websurfing/quicktime/videos, it'd be fine no?

Hi Josh the problem with straight PC screens is that because they're PC specced they have no connections and will not do 50Hz. Yes they are indeed great value but without the connectivity (component/svid/etc) and without being able to refresh at 50Hz (required for judder free PAL movies through your source equipment) they will always remain for wholly for PC use.

Hi all,

I am surprised that so many people are using these screens as PC monitors.  I might be missing something, but to me the value for money in terms of $$$ per pixel is shocking even for the AWA compared to an LCD panel. 

Nowadays I can spend less than $300 and get an LCD capable of 1280X1024 resolution, which is 25% more pixels for 1/7th of the price.  For around $900  I could buy a pair of 19" DVI LCDs and be getting 2560 X 1024 (ok with a plastic bar down the centre).

Even if I go to apple and buy a 23" LCD with 1920 X 1200 for $2300-ish I am getting 220% more pixels for $300.  It gives a massive screen area in a compact size, the granularity is exeptionally fine (I know because I have one), and the dollar per pixel price is almost half!

I'd be interested to hear why people are using these screens as monitors and why they have chosem them over a conventional LCD.

Josh

I hooked it up to play movies and WoW in the Living room, with some viewing distance between me and the telly.

Now, sure it has less pixels than my DELL CD, but I can't use myDELL from 4 metres away.

so $/pixel has NOTHING to do with it for me. It is about usability conditions.

edit: Logic: Best $/pixel go buy a 4" 1024x768 screen. But try and use it for movies !

That was the ticketed price Zorg although they are under major renovations at the moment and there were workmen near the LCD's so couldnt get real close so maybe they hadnt put the sale tag on???Anyway good value either way and when they bring out a 37" or 42" im sure these will prove as popular as the 66cm and 81cm.

Cheers Ryan

FYI Nobby i was in Big W this afternoon and they had both the 66cm and 81cm AWA of which they were still $1499 and $1999 respectively.

Cheers Ryan

Hey Ryan which big W were you at?

I was at Big W in the CBD (Melbourne) and the 81cm was on "Managers special" for $1798. There were no 66cm's to be seen.

Dam nobby thats cheap if the 66cm was $1498 you would go the 81 for sure i mean for only 300 bux that a heap more screen size aint it! I was at Big W at Highpoint(knifepoint) but as mentioned they were under major reno's so it was a bit hard to get within about 5m of the LCD's.I must say there dvd/cd/av section is going to be very nice when it is finished :blink:

Cheers Ryan

Dam nobby thats cheap if the 66cm was $1498 you would go the 81 for sure i mean for only 300 bux that a heap more screen size aint it! I was at Big W at Highpoint(knifepoint) but as mentioned they were under major reno's so it was a bit hard to get within about 5m of the LCD's.I must say there dvd/cd/av section is going to be very nice when it is finished :blink:

Cheers Ryan

remember with the Melbourne CBD store, that you can ask for it to be taken out, and hooked up for you to check for dead pixels before you buy.

Funny man.

Think about it......an extra 25% screen size makes a HUGE difference.

You are actually getting about 83% more screen area (screen area is proportional to the square of the diagonal) which I agree is HUGE.

However you only have 2/5 the number of pixels as the AWA has (assuming the $2k5 samsung is 852x480 it has 408960 pixels vs 1049088 pixels in the AWA)

Josh.

Hi Josh the problem with straight PC screens is that because they're PC specced they have no connections and will not do 50Hz.  Yes they are indeed great value but without the connectivity (component/svid/etc) and without being able to refresh at 50Hz (required for judder free PAL movies through your source equipment) they will always remain for wholly for PC use.

I agree with all the comments above and I would agree the AWA is a great choice for HTPC applications, which is my mid-term plan.

My original query was why would you choose to use it as a PC monitor, and was posed in response an earlier post of yours (and oither similar posts) earlier in this thread:

The AWA looks like a good price vs performance unit. My situation requires near field viewing, I reckon I'll be about 60 to 80cm away from the screen (using it pretty with computer monitor at a desk distances).

I may have misunderstood you but I assumed you were using it as a PC monitor. Purely as a PC monitor, it is a very expensive low-res solution when compared to other LCD monitors.

Josh.

You are actually getting about 83% more screen area (screen area is proportional to the square of the diagonal) which I agree is HUGE.

However you only have 2/5 the number of pixels as the AWA has (assuming the $2k5 samsung is 852x480 it has 408960 pixels vs 1049088 pixels in the AWA)

Josh.

Agree on the pixel stuff, but from 3m, I can't tell any diff at all...I compared a HD panel with it.

Only when I connected my PC @ 1024*768 could I see it struggling (with text).

Agree on the pixel stuff, but from 3m, I can't tell any diff at all...I compared a HD panel with it.

Only when I connected my PC @ 1024*768 could I see it struggling (with text).

I must admit that the difference between HD and SD on a 81cm AWA isn't very noticeable. However, I'm still glad I've got it.

I fall into the category of 81cm is big enough - I certainly don't want a larger TV. It would look out of place in my living room (which although large, is very traditional). Hence the AWA is perfect.

I agree with all the comments above and I would agree the AWA is a great choice for HTPC applications, which is my mid-term plan. 

My original query was why would you choose to use it as a PC monitor, and was posed in response an earlier post of yours (and oither similar posts) earlier in this thread:

I may have misunderstood you but I assumed you were using it as a PC monitor.  Purely as a PC monitor, it is a very expensive low-res solution when compared to other LCD monitors.

Josh.

NO I said 'with Computer monitor at PC desk distances' I.e near field. It's going to be near field for other sources namely STB and DVD player.

It's just a damned shame the PC monitors don't have the connections otherwise there'd be no question!

NO I said 'with Computer monitor at PC desk distances' I.e near field. It's going to be near field for other sources namely STB and DVD player.

It's just a damned shame the PC monitors don't have the connections otherwise there'd be no question!

Ok No worries - definitely a misunderstanding on my part.

You must be getting a nice suntan from watching the AWA up close :blink:

Is there a way i can stretch the screen to get rid of small half a cm sidebars when playing some xbox games? I press the APC button but it only lets me switch between 16:9 and 4:3 while my xbox is using the hd pack.

I can switch between pararoma , zoom , 16:9 and 4:3 when i watch dvds and playing ps2 but wont let me while i play my xbox :blink:

Ok No worries - definitely a misunderstanding on my part. 

You must be getting a nice suntan from watching the AWA up close  :blink:

Damned I wish the usual PC monitors had the connectivity and could do 50Hz as around 17" is all I need and it wouldn't cost me the earth!

I've been reading this thread with great interest and decided to buy the 81cm AWA.

Went to Big W Macquarie Centre today and they were kind enough to show me a new one to test if there were no dead pixels. Turned the TV on, switched to the AV1 channel (with a deep blue colour) and immediately noticed a stuck pixel (green colour). I asked them to open another one but they refused, saying that I could get them repaired if there were more than 9 dead pixels. Hmm...can dead pixels be repaired?

Is it unreasonable for me to expect to buy this TV with no dead pixels? The only other Big W which lets me test one before buying is Auburn.

Any advice or suggestions?

I've been reading this thread with great interest and decided to buy the 81cm AWA.

Went to Big W Macquarie Centre today and they were kind enough to show me a new one to test if there were no dead pixels. Turned the TV on, switched to the AV1 channel (with a deep blue colour) and immediately noticed a stuck pixel (green colour). I asked them to open another one but they refused, saying that I could get them repaired if there were more than 9 dead pixels. Hmm...can dead pixels be repaired?

Is it unreasonable for me to expect to buy this TV with no dead pixels? The only other Big W which lets me test one before buying is Auburn.

Any advice or suggestions?

You're very fortunate to try it before you buy, I would recommend just trying another BigW.

It's not really undreasonable to expect it although there is a reason why there are dead pixel policies, in that they're almost imperceptible at normal viewing distances and it's nearly impossible to guarantee that all those (millions?) of pixels will work perfectly, even 6 sigma QA can't gaurantee that.

has anyone tried playing ps2 games on this tv? its incredibly blurry ! Would component cables fix this?

Ive played the PS2 on my AWA, and i went out and got the component leads for the ps2 (as i discovered the same thing you have). The component leads makes a 100% difference in clarity and overall PQ