New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I just lay byed a 26" AWA from bigW and wanted to know what HD STB would be good for this TV ?? Also will i get the higher res of 1268 x 768 (i think thats the res) running the DVI input. Thanks

Bearing in mind they have just knocked $100 off the price of the 81cm, it's now only $400 (or 25%) to go from 66 to 81cm and get a 50% increase in screen area.

Just some food for throught

Im using a Teac DV-B800 to power my AWA 81CM and its flawless so far.  FOr $350 its well priced as well for HD.

i think for your 66CM the Teac will be a good choice and you will get the max resolution if you view HD content such as 9HD or 10HD.

of course someone can correct me if im wrong

I also have the Teac DVB800 and am quite pleased with it. Also if you install the latest upgrade it will play mp3s from a usb stick which is quite a cool feature.

Josh.

Overscan means that some of the edge of the image won't be displayed, but will instead be cut off.

And all TV's do it to some extent. It's done deliberately so the viewer does not get a black border around the picture. The 32in AWA is not bad. But mine is slightly off center, though that could be from the source I'm inputting into it.

little help if thats okay..

I have my 81 awa connected to my pc via vga, and when I have it even at 1280x 768, when I run movies which have lots of fast motion, I can see the refresh is really slow. Doesn't happen when I run stuff directly onto the TV though..

Any solutions? I have a IceQ 9800 pro with 5.7 cats-

Would getting Dvi-D cable make any difference in quality and refresh?

Thanks!

little help if thats okay..

I have my 81 awa connected to my pc via vga, and when I have it even at 1280x 768, when I run movies which have lots of fast motion, I can see the refresh is really slow. Doesn't happen when I run stuff directly onto the TV though..

Any solutions? I have a IceQ 9800 pro with 5.7 cats-

Would getting Dvi-D cable make any difference in quality and refresh?

Thanks!

I ran World of Warcraft at 1280 x 768 and it was heaps better than my DEll 1905fp (which is a Smasung panel) - running both on DVI.

I have found running DIVX on the LCD looks dodge, as the movie size is being scaled up so much and looks blocky. I wouldn't say it was laggy, just blocky.

edit: note I also have a 9800 Pro Iceq (gotta love that silent fan). I am only running Cat 5.3

Hi all,

The AWA looks like a good price vs performance unit. My situation requires near field viewing, I reckon I'll be about 60 to 80cm away from the screen (using it pretty with computer monitor at a desk distances).

From your experiences with the display do you think that I should go the 66cm (or is it so good the 81cm would work)? It's pretty close viewing.... also I wanted to ask that DA mentioned the 66cm to be first generation way back at the start of this thread, is this still the case? Are the displays pretty much identical in spec's besides their size?

Also what sort of price have people achieved? I believe around $1600. Was this when a sale was on or is it that much regularly?

Regards

nobby

Hey nobby i believe that they are pretty much $1499 all of the time well that is atleast everytime i go to DA BIG W :blink:

Cheers Ryan

Thanks for that Ryan I think I'll head out and have a look at one of these. By peoples accounts from this thread it's not too shabby for that price.

How far away are is the viewing position? I had an 81cm LCD and was sitting 3m away...WAY too small.

Now going with 42" plasma for $500 more than the AWA LCD.

Didn't your mother tell you not to sit too close to the tv? :blink:

If you really think a 32' screen is "WAY too small" @3m then you are not going to be happy with a 42' plasma either. Personally I think you're mad to buy a cheap plasma over the AWA LCD!

Correct me if I'm wrong but any $2k5 42' plasma will only have 480 lines vertical resolution which is actually less resolution that the CRT you aree currently watching!

The AWA has 768 vertical lines (and inidentally 1360 columns compared to 800 on your plasma). It also has DVI, VGA, component, S-Video and 2 AV ports.

So if you buy the plasma you will get a physically bigger screen but the picture quality will actually be worse that an old CRT.

IMHO If you want to go Plasma buy a HD variant. If you can't afford one buy the AWA. Trust me, it is not WAY too small.

Hi all,

The AWA looks like a good price vs performance unit. My situation requires near field viewing, I reckon I'll be about 60 to 80cm away from the screen (using it pretty with computer monitor at a desk distances).

From your experiences with the display do you think that I should go the 66cm (or is it so good the 81cm would work)? It's pretty close viewing.... also I wanted to ask that DA mentioned the 66cm to be first generation way back at the start of this thread, is this still the case? Are the displays pretty much identical in spec's besides their size?

Also what sort of price have people achieved? I believe around $1600. Was this when a sale was on or is it that much regularly?

Regards

nobby

Hi all,

I am surprised that so many people are using these screens as PC monitors. I might be missing something, but to me the value for money in terms of $$$ per pixel is shocking even for the AWA compared to an LCD panel.

Nowadays I can spend less than $300 and get an LCD capable of 1280X1024 resolution, which is 25% more pixels for 1/7th of the price. For around $900 I could buy a pair of 19" DVI LCDs and be getting 2560 X 1024 (ok with a plastic bar down the centre).

Even if I go to apple and buy a 23" LCD with 1920 X 1200 for $2300-ish I am getting 220% more pixels for $300. It gives a massive screen area in a compact size, the granularity is exeptionally fine (I know because I have one), and the dollar per pixel price is almost half!

I'd be interested to hear why people are using these screens as monitors and why they have chosem them over a conventional LCD.

Josh