New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

i just bought one of these and im sooo happy, looks awesome in the lounge.

just a question since i dont know much about this stuff. I want to connect my laptop to the awa lcd tv, so what cable do i need for this that i can get from dick smith?

VGA or DVI. Whichever your Lappy has.

Before I opened up my AWA and taped all the sides like Tobes did, it helped with the bright spots but didn't completely fix them. Enough to live with, considering 4:3 content is rare these days!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Samsung DVD-HD850 player, connected to the LG plasma with the

supplied HDMI cable.

I am very happy with the unit considering I paid $250 at Megamart.

The HDMI connection was a breeze to set up, the unit is smooth and quite, plays

everything I have put in, except DVD RAM from my Panasonic HDD.

The remote is large and practical, controls other brands of TV.

Ring shuttle on the remote.

Region code hack available on this forum.

Recomended..........

Yes. I didn't like making holes in the wall but it looked terrible with all the cables showing.  I went down to the plumbing supplie shop and got a length of sink-type PVC drainpipe and a couple of right-angle joints. The cables go in behind the TV and come out behind the cabinet.

Here's a wide view - no cables showing

http://users.tpg.com.au/glennza/Home%20setup.jpg

This is behind the TV, you can see the cable entry point.

http://users.tpg.com.au/glennza/IMG_0369.JPG

FWIW: I also made the wall mount brackets from a length of shelving steel from Bunnings. I tried to buy the real thing but couldn't get one anywhere. It's worth noting that even though it's a VESA standard bracket, it's not the common 100x100 VESA but the less common 200x100. Anyway, it works really well and cost me $10 instead of over $100.

Very Nice!

Two quick questions if you don't mind:

1. What bolts do you use to go into the back of the set? (eg M8x50mm, M6x25mm etc)

2. Is it a two-piece bracket? Can you give me any tipe on making the bracket?

(I guess that;s three questions :-)

Thanks, and nice job

Josh

Very Nice!

Two quick questions if you don't mind:

1. What bolts do you use to go into the back of the set?  (eg M8x50mm, M6x25mm etc)

2. Is it a two-piece bracket?  Can you give me any tipe on making the bracket?

(I guess that;s three questions :-)

Thanks, and nice job

Josh

Thanks Josh!

I think the screws are M5's. I bought M4's cos they looked right but they were too small. I couldn't be bothered going back to Bunnings so I hunted around in my box of junk until I found four that fitted. They shouldn't be too long either; about 10-15mm. You don't want to start screwing into something inside.

It's a bit hard to describe the bracket. I made it up as I went along. It is in two sections; a square frame which bolts to the wall and two short lengths (about 150mm) which screw on to the back of the TV and sit inside the frame when they're put together . It's all made from shelving steel, it's the black right-angle stuff with slots along it. It's very secure but you do need to bolt it to a stud or solid wall, it's too heavy to hang off of Gyprock.

The secret is to have four heavy bolts facing inward on either side of the wall frame and the to cut sections out of the slots on the two pieces on the TV. Then they just slot together.

Ultimately, it's not very elegant but it does the job and you're not going to see it anyway.

I've done an embarrassing diagram, hope it helps:

http://users.tpg.com.au/glennza/Bracket.jpg

I have the Samsung DVD-HD850 player, connected to the LG plasma with the

supplied HDMI cable.

I am very happy with the unit considering I paid $250 at Megamart.

The HDMI connection was a breeze to set up, the unit is  smooth and quite, plays

everything I have put in, except DVD RAM from my Panasonic HDD.

The remote is large and practical, controls other brands of TV.

Ring shuttle on the remote.

Region code hack available on this forum.

Recomended..........

Have been looking all around Hobart for this player, but no stores carry it. Then went to Retravision, asked them for it and the guy said he would order me in one for $270 cash. Not too shabby. Has anybody used the HD850 on the AWA with DVI connection? That's going to be my setup.

Thanks Josh!

I think the screws are M5's. I bought M4's cos they looked right but they were too small. I couldn't be bothered going back to Bunnings so I hunted around in my box of junk until I found four that fitted. They shouldn't be too long either; about 10-15mm. You don't want to start screwing into something inside.

It's a bit hard to describe the bracket. I made it up as I went along. It is in two sections; a square frame which bolts to the wall and two short lengths (about 150mm) which screw on to the back of the TV and sit inside the frame when they're put together . It's all made from shelving steel, it's the black right-angle stuff with slots along it. It's very secure but you do need to bolt it to a stud or solid wall, it's too heavy to hang off of Gyprock.

The secret is to have four heavy bolts facing inward on either side of the wall frame and the to cut sections out of the slots on the two pieces on the TV. Then they just slot together.

Ultimately, it's not very elegant but it does the job and you're not going to see it anyway.

I've done an embarrassing diagram, hope it helps:

http://users.tpg.com.au/glennza/Bracket.jpg

The Diagram is great - thanks!

I wondered how those big bolts fitted into the equation. It's a really neat solution.

I assume you welded up the square base plate? I think I will gove it a go, but I will probably make a horizontal "H" shaped base plate and extend the arms to meet the wall studs.

Thanks again for the info.

Josh.

bumping this thread up - I'm interested in picking one of the 80cm one's up - how much are they now? At the $2000 mark? This thread is such a monster that I have a headache trying to read through it all.

What's the replacement/warranty policy like? And what's the screen refresh rate + PQ when playing a fast motion scene?

I'm also at the TRIO from DSE with 5 year warranty which I think might end up being the better purchase.

Guest reetzy

Hi all, I just lay byed a 26" AWA from bigW and wanted to know what HD STB would be good for this TV ?? Also will i get the higher res of 1268 x 768 (i think thats the res) running the DVI input. Thanks

Guest reetzy
Hi all, I just lay byed a 26" AWA from bigW and wanted to know what HD STB would be good for this TV ?? Also will i get the higher res of 1268 x 768 (i think thats the res) running the DVI input. Thanks

Anyone ????

It's annoying though! I've uploaded some pictures of the 4:3 issue and the Progressive thing. They a bit blurry as I didn't want to wash them out with the flash.

<snipped>

Menu as it should be in interlaced mode

http://users.tpg.com.au/glennza/Interlaced.JPG

How come your 81cm AWA LCD TV menu looks like that and mine looks like this????

My AWA 81cm LCD TV menu

I don't have any of those options in my menu! :P

EDIT DOH! I assume that screenshot was of a DVD player's menu... :blink: