New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

Hi again,

Thanks heaps for all those answers.  After reading them and the discussion following - I take it that the Opentel twin tuner STB with RGB and Scart outputs will not be able to be hooked into this tv?

Cheers

I am still looking into this (for my 66cm), the answer is that you can, BUT...

You will either have to invest in an RGB(S) to component (YUV) converter

OR

an RGB(S) to RGB(HV) (Dsub15 plug) converter (yet to be confirmed if this works with this screen)

.......to get the high quality signal....... both will end up setting you back about $130-160 depending on the brand + cables, or you could just connect up using Svideo but this would be a waste of a great screen!

Cheers,

Peter

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look at this TV today. Looked very good connected to DVD playing The Incredibles.

Also had a look at the manual and regarding the DVI input for the PC it said to set the output at 1280 x 768 (or somthing similar) not the 1366 x 768 which is the native resolution.

Have seen that my PC card 6600 alows for the resolution to be changed.

However if the ouput is set to the lower resolution will it just take up a small amount of the screen or something else. I guess that it should be OK as it does state it in the manual.

Hopefully they will still be around when i commit to buying one (possibly tomorrow).

What store did you view this TV at I thought they weren't on sale until Thursday the 21st ?..... Will there be any left for sale by Thursday

Went to two stores in Sydney and both had them on display with the price. Asked how many they had and she said not many. So will have to decide soon although i would assume they they would last at least a week.

I saw one this am at Cumberland Park (SA) BigW. Looked excellent. I have to keep telling myself that a bargain is only a bargain if it's something you need. If I were currently shopping for a screen of this size, the credit card would've been out in an instant.

It's sobering to think what this would have cost 12 months ago.....and what it will be worth in 12 months time. I've recently seen the RRP of my Pioneer plasma drop a nice round $1,000 within a month of purchase. Still, that's technology today....gotta be philosophical.

Just for a comparison.

Ignoring the resolution differences (I realise plasma will most likely be lower resolution).

Ignoring the fact that plasmas aren't a good idea for computer use (burn-in etc).

What SIZE plasma screen can one get these days for around $2K?

Examples? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ashley.

I've just picked one of these up a couple of hours ago.

The screen looks good, but I'm having a slight problem with it - when attempting to run with a DVI cable from my HTPC, any resolution above 1024x768 is shifted over to the right. Running the screen from the same system with a standard VGA cable, the screen appears fine. Anyone else bought this screen yet and running it successfully through DVI from a PC?

The video card that I'm using is a Radeon 9550SE.

I've just picked one of these up a couple of hours ago.

The screen looks good, but I'm having a slight problem with it - when attempting to run with a DVI cable from my HTPC, any resolution above 1024x768 is shifted over to the right.  Running the screen from the same system with a standard VGA cable, the screen appears fine.  Anyone else bought this screen yet and running it successfully through DVI from a PC? 

The video card that I'm using is a Radeon 9550SE.

Find if there any PC adjustments in the menu. Up and down and left and right. There were adjustments in the 26"

I had to use them on the 26" via DVI.

DA

Anyone know if Big W will have any more of the 66cm version in the future. I would like one for my room and 81cm is a bit (way) to big.

I emailed Big W about 2 weeks ago and they simply said "more LCDs will be on sale in the near future".

Thanks!

does anyone have any pics?

or does anyone know what ports this LCD has?

i assume this one missed  out on the HDMI option

thanks

gw

HDMI = DVI but difference with DVI-D no audio connectors built into the DVI-D cable.

In real terms NO difference. Proven by the fact one can get a DVI-D simple convertor cables to HDMI input only Plasmas and they work. Same with new model rear projectors like the Panasonic.

DA

Went to two stores in Sydney and both had them on display with the price. Asked how many they had and she said not many. So will have to decide soon although i would assume they they would last at least a week.

Which Syd stores did you see them at? The closest one i've to Syd cbd is i think Campsie. Called them up but they didn't seem to have it as yet.

The screen looks good, but I'm having a slight problem with it - when attempting to run with a DVI cable from my HTPC, any resolution above 1024x768 is shifted over to the right.  Running the screen from the same system with a standard VGA cable, the screen appears fine.  Anyone else bought this screen yet and running it successfully through DVI from a PC? 

Find if there any PC adjustments in the menu. Up and down and left and right. There were adjustments in the 26"

Yep, found those controls, but they don't do anything for the horizontal position - you can adjust it but the picture doesn't move at all. The vertical adjustment does move the picture.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that the picture is shifted by about 10cm when running at 1280x768 - far more than a minor adjustment could fix.

I've now tried the screen with 2 dvi cables and on 3 different video cards - a Radeon 9550SE, 9000SE, and an GeForce Ti 4200. Always the same problem, so it looks like I'm just unlucky and have a bad unit :blink:

I'll have to take it back and swap it over tomorrow...

does anyone have any pics?

or does anyone know what ports this LCD has?

i assume this one missed  out on the HDMI option

thanks

gw

HDMI = DVI but difference with DVI-D no audio connectors built into the DVI-D cable.

In real terms NO difference. Proven by the fact one can get a DVI-D simple convertor cables to HDMI input only Plasmas and they work. Same with new model rear projectors like the Panasonic.

DA

Besides the audio connectors, the other significant difference is that HDCP is mandatory on HDMI and optional on DVI. If the DVI input on the LCD does not support HDCP then you may have a problem wtih certain upscaling DVD players that incorporate HDCP.

Cheers,

morkli.

Hey Mark,

How about a more detailed review and description for those of us considering a purchase?

As much detail as you can provide :-)

Here's my questions:

How does the picture look with a composite input (of course it is worse than DVI, component, etc) but is it worse than a CRT TV?

Is it the Decktron unit that has been referred to earlier (URL etc)?

Cheers,

Ashley.

Mark g

You said that the screen is shifted to the right does this mean you can not see part of the screen or is it just that it does not take up the entire screen.

If the PC picture quality Ok otherwise. ?

Hey Mark,

How about a more detailed review and description for those of us considering a purchase?

As much detail as you can provide :-)

I will as far as I can - I've got to spend some time playing with my new toy :-)

Here's my questions:

How does the picture look with a composite input (of course it is worse than DVI, component, etc) but is it worse than a CRT TV?

I haven't tried anything other than VGA and DVI coming from my HTPC yet - I might try it later to satisfy your curiosity.

Is it the Decktron unit that has been referred to earlier (URL etc)?

I'd say so - looks exactly like the pictures there and its specifications are pretty close. That page has an error as mentioned before with the viewable area size. The manual also lists the luminance at 600 cd/m2 and the power consumption as approx 150W whereas that web site lists 500 cd/m2 and 200W.

Mark g

You said that the screen is shifted to the right does this mean you can not see part of the screen or is it just that it does not take up the entire screen.

My estimate would be that about 6cm is cut off on the right hand side.

If the PC picture quality Ok otherwise. ?

Yes, the picture looks fine otherwise.

There isn't any noticable difference between the quality of the VGA and DVI inputs as far as I can see, but I'm still going to take it back and swap it over - It's supposed to have working DVI input and I want it! :blink:

Yep, found those controls, but they don't do anything for the horizontal position - you can adjust it but the picture doesn't move at all. The vertical adjustment does move the picture.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that the picture is shifted by about 10cm when running at 1280x768 - far more than a minor adjustment could fix.

I've now tried the screen with 2 dvi cables and on 3 different video cards - a Radeon 9550SE, 9000SE, and an GeForce Ti 4200. Always the same problem, so it looks like I'm just unlucky and have a bad unit :blink:

I seem to remember that people had similar problems with the PC via DVI connections with the 66cm as well....

The solution was to use the VGA connection or a different card.

If memory serves correctly, it was only with some types of cards.....

Check out this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=14996

Had sucess with a Radeon 9200....

Cheers,

Peter

Scart RGB to component convertor:

http://www.highway.net.au/parts/converters/2005.html

Australian Web site.

DA

That's the same unit as available from Jaycar for $159

The listed price adjusted for $A and GST is about $149 (plus postage?)

Gives you a ballpark $ for component.

The equivalent RGB converter to plug into the Dsub port is $129 at Jaycar.

Both of these will require a male to male Scart cable/adapter...

EDIT: here's another RGB to component converter

http://www.australiandigitaltv.com/accessories/rgbcomp.htm

Peter

Edited by peter_vfr

PowerStrip Guide: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/powerstrip.html

Latest Radeon driver have fine tuning HDTV features not available on earlier versions.

I would not be using a 1280 horizontal - try for as close to native as possible with DVI. Ignore the manual.

DA