Sign in to follow this  
chrissara

New AWA 81cm LCD TV - BigW again!

As you may have seen I was trying to locate a 26" AWA LCD TV. Left my run a bit late.

Anyway I spoke to BigW this week and they said in two weeks their new catalogue will have this in and it will be in stores.

I telephoned BigW's customer support and they confirmed this. They gave me the spec's (which I sadly didn't note). When asked for a price the lady said she couldn't tell me.

I asked if it was under $2500 and she said "definately yes". It appears that this will retail at $1999.00 as a guesstimate as she did say it is around 1/3 higher cost than the last model.

81 cms is roughly 32" from memory.

1368x786 was the resolution from memory. Certainly she indicated 1368, the 786 I am not sure of - it could be 768.

WOW!

A 32" for about $2000........

Hmmm, maybe I could use the 26" as a computer monitor and get the 32" for TV but then couldn't afford the Toppy for a while longer, and have to find a home for the 17" monitor and..... AAARGH! :blink:

It's true what they say about this game, you are forever chasing your tail!

I wonder if the new unit will have discrete remote codes for each input?

(looking at the specs, it has the same functionality/connections as the 26" so probably uses the same board with a slightly different driver for the different resolution)

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Zork

Yep ....it's an LCD TV and will support HD via DVI

Cheers

DG

FYI, they will be selling in the next catalogue which I think is due out late next week for $1998.00! Bargain.................. :blink:  :P

Yup the lady I spoke to (she wouldn't give much out as she said she couldn't) indicated to wait until late next week.

I wonder if I approach my local store now if they may have them in early next week so I put my name down for one and can get in straightaway.

NB Is 81cm 32inches?

This looks tempting the only thing holding me back is there warranty service.

Its got a 2-3 year warranty (cannot remember how long it was) but that warranty means nothing if they don’t fix it for u.

I tried to get my old 26" fixed but the melb repair centre knew nothing about LCD TVs so off it went back to big w.

And also in the 26" topic another owner tried to get his 14 dead pixels fixed and they returned it to him unfixed.

Also leads to my next question.

Am I better going for the Acoustic Research 30" LCD TV at Strathfield for $1999 or this new AWA? May sound silly, but to date I still haven't seen anyone say what panel is used on the AR - understand the AWA is an LG/Philips though.

On the decktron site it says the active area is 566.4 x 339.8mm how can this be true when the 26" also has this spec

It appears to be the equivilant of the LG RT-32LZ50 which has a recommendd retail of $3999 and a street price of 3500. Has anyone got any feedback on this model? Certainly sounds like good value if it is the equivilant.

FYI, they will be selling in the next catalogue which I think is due out late next week for $1998.00! Bargain.................. :blink:  :P

ahh no wonder... i checked the webpage and it was advertising back to school specials

ahh no wonder... i checked the webpage and it was advertising back to school specials

Hmm resolution is different though - person above pointed out the screen dimensions appear the same. That is a worry.

Yes, the Big W website won't have anything on it regarding that cattledog yet! Apparently it starts from next Thursday the 21st Apr 05! Handy, pay day too ;-) ! :blink:

Hmm resolution is different though - person above pointed out the screen dimensions appear the same. That is a worry.

Don't worry about the quoted figures on the Decktron website, they are a missprint.

The screen has an active area close to the "outline dimension" figure quoted.

Also leads to my next question.

Am I better going for the Acoustic Research 30" LCD TV at Strathfield for $1999 or this new AWA?  May sound silly, but to date I still haven't seen anyone say what panel is used on the AR - understand the AWA is an LG/Philips though.

The acoustic research 30" is a 1280x768 screen @ 15:9 whereas the AWA is a newer generation 1366x768 screen at a true 16:9

They've got BENQ DV2680 (26" LCD TV) with DVI going for $1999 and DV3080 30" for $2699 a Harvey N..

Agreed there's a slight premium over the AWA. Anyone know whether this is any better than the AWA's?

As at $500 diff for the 26", I'd consider the BENQ.

They've got BENQ DV2680 (26" LCD TV) with DVI going for $1999 and DV3080 30" for $2699 a Harvey N..

Agreed there's a slight premium over the AWA. Anyone know whether this is any better than the AWA's?

Benq are rebranded Acer screens, otherwise identical.

The Benq DV3080 is still an older generation 30" 1280x768 whereas the AWA is a newer 32" 1366x768 screen.

Given the experience of the 26" AWA buyers, if you get a good one you should have no problems and with BigW's return policy you can just keep returning them in the first few days until you get a good one if you have any problems.

Cheers,

Peter

What's the model # of the AWA screen?

What's the model # of the AWA screen?

The model No. for the 26" is TFT D66, no info on the new 32" tho.

There is no info available online directly for this screen but it is identical to the Decktron unit in the case of the 26" so if you assume the same for the 32" just go to the Decktron site.

http://www.decktron.com/products/lcd_32.html

Just keep in mind that there is is missprint in the "active area" field of the specs sheet. For some reason they have used the figures from the 26" screen.

I would not. The Benq is computer grade.

This one is proper 16:9 aspect and second gen. panel.

Look out for 1st gen. panels above 26" selling cheaply. They are not TRUE 16:9 aspect ratio.

I brought the 26" myself and nothing compares even wholesale at this money for quality. The 26" is FIRST gen. The 32" is SECOND gen.

DA

Are you forum people reccommending this set...yes/no.

It's a little to big for my wall units so I will go to Big W and take a tape measure and see if it would squeeze in.

Can I plug my computer in and do a PIP with the v8 Supercars on CH 10 and the BigPond coverage on my PC.(in car cams the whole race but delayed by 30 sec)

It says the PIP is Double window.

I do not know very much about this technology (unfortunately).

Does any body have any info on response time of this unit. ????

The previous model never mentioned response time. What it given in the documents supplied with the 26 inch model ?

I have seen an overseas model that looks similar "Protron" that also uses a LG/Phillips panel with the same resolution. And the add gave a response time of 24 m/sec.

Although this model did give a contrast ratio of 600. Do LG/Phillips made that many different panels of the same size and resolution.

If the response time is not given in the info when the TV is advertised i do not think that the Staff at Big W will be able to tell. Maybe have to have a look at the manual to tell (again was this info in the manual for the previous 26 inch).

It is also hard to tell if the screen is any good when set up in the shop. I remember looking at the 26 inch when it first came out and it did not look good (prob the way it was set up) I have also noticed that screens at Dick smith look rubish when playing a DVD. However everyone seems to say that the AWA was fine. JB HiFi seem to have all the screens set up OK but they did have HD TV playing.

I am still not sure if response time is the most important aspect and if 24 m/sec is not good enough ?

It's a little to big for my wall units so I will go to Big W and take a tape measure and see if it would squeeze in.

Can I plug my computer in and do a PIP with the v8 Supercars on CH 10 and the BigPond coverage on my PC.(in car cams the whole race but delayed by 30 sec)

It says the PIP is Double window.

I do not know very much about this technology (unfortunately).

PIP seems disabled with High band - computer and HD STB input on 26"

DA

Based on my experience with the 26" model, I would say yes it is highly recommended based on the features vs price equation. (if you get a good one, if not take it back and swap it over!)

Dimensions: 925x263x545mm with stand, 925x97x491mm without.

Does any body have any info on response time of this unit. ????

The previous model never mentioned response time. What it given in the documents supplied with the 26 inch model ?

It is also hard to tell if the screen is any good when set up in the shop.

No direct info on this unit (or the 26" for that matter) but the 26" has a response time of 16ms which is all that is required (anything less than 24ms will negate most problems). Given that the 32" appears to have the same circuit board I would anticipate that it is also 16ms........

Every 26" that I saw set up at BigW was connected by composite which looked shite! I can assure you that on the 26" component (DVD) and DVI (Teac HD STB) are both stunning! :blink:

Don't bother asking the staff at BigW if you could see it connected up by component tho as all I got were blank looks.....

Cheers,

Peter