Sign in to follow this  
pgdownload

Topfield Faq - All Questions Answered

I got a cheaper Toppy model 2100. The PVR takes about 40 secs to boot and start on the TV. Is this normal? Should I leave the PVR on all the time, instead on standby mode?

Doesn't sound abnormal, although it is a bit long.The unit will turn itself on (from standby) to record timers (and turn itself back to standby for that matter). Generally I'd suggest turning it on when you get home and leaving it on until you go to bed. But your choice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Doesn't sound abnormal, although it is a bit long.The unit will turn itself on (from standby) to record timers (and turn itself back to standby for that matter). Generally I'd suggest turning it on when you get home and leaving it on until you go to bed. But your choice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks Peter. Do the other models also behave the same? I cannot remember if my previous Draco also took that amount of time to boot up; I'd switched on the machine 24/7, however the power supply blew up after 3 yrs of use, triggered off the main power line and short one of my TV HDMI input.

TRF-2470 Issue

Hello, I have just purchased a TRF2470 and although I have lost the ability to use ICETV I am prepared to live with the free to air EPG. After setting up the device today all was working well until I plugged it into the network.

The device is set as DHCP and it was assigned an IP by my router. I was able to look at ABC iView through the Toppy and then it restarted! I then noticed that the device began to reboot every 2 or so minutes until I unplugged it from the network.

I updated the device to the latest firmware through the Firmware menu. I then set to Factory and configured it again. No luck!

I rang iTopfield and they suggested that the machine might be faulty and to take it back. I took it back and got another brand new TRF2470. Unfortunately the same thing happened. I tried different network cables, router, etc.

Is there an inherent problem with this model? It works well if you don't plug it into the network. It is interesting that if you leave the cable plugged into the router and the TRF2470 and disable the network on the device it does not reboot.

I am sorry if this is not the correct forum to post this, if not can someone suggest where I can place this post.

Regards

Joseph

Sometimes certain software on your PC will cause this to happen. One known culprit is PowerDVD.

i have a tpr2000 pvr and want to update firmware (which i havent done since purchase 2 years ago) however i can not access any of the download pages for the firmware or for that matter the website for topfield/toppro at all is there anywhere else i could get the firmware from??

The firmware has not been updated since late 2011; I probably have a copy of the latest firmware but I cannot work out which firmware is beta and which is public. I need access to the Toppro/Topfield www site to find out .... which brings us back to your problem.

The latest intelligence I have from Toppro is that they have no ETA for the site to be up and running again. However, I live in hope.

Ian

Sometimes certain software on your PC will cause this to happen. One known culprit is PowerDVD.

Yes, the most likely culprit is Power DVD. You have to disable all services that are loaded by PowerDVD. It appears that PowerDVD polls all devices attached to the netwoirk to see if they are DLNA servers or players, and is overly aggressive. Topfield and some other makes of PVRs that have DLNA capability will spontaneously reboot when polled. I had this happen about three weeks ago when I rebuilt my main PC. Took me about hour of head scracthing before I remembered to disable Power DVD related services.

Iasn

I don't know if the models you mention have the capability but some Topfield remotes let you switch frequency by holding down the power button and a number:

If the remote control does not work, please check the remote control mode. There are four modes with this remote control. You can alter the mode by pressing two buttons simultaneously as follows:

• Mode 1: Power + 1

• Mode 2: Power + 2

• Mode 3: Power + 3

• Mode 4: Power + 4

[Edit: Yes, it looks like the 6000 has this capability]

You might also like to read this link - TwoToppiesInOneRoom

The only Topfield RCU which supports multiple codes is, as far as I know, the one that shipped with the TF 5000 PVRt Masterpiece. To take advantage of multiple modes the Toppy must support TAPs - the TAP allows the use of the alternative code. The TPR-5000 does not support TAPs; all current model Toppys (other than the 2100 support TAPs). I cannot remember if the 6000 supports TAPs.

Ian

PS The link above does not work at the moment as the Toppro/Topfield www site has been down almost continuously for the best part of two weeks (including weekends).

Hi all, I have an "el-cheapo" TRF2100.....Everything works great but when I try to export a recording to an external USB hard drive it takes hours to transfer the file ... ie .... am transfering a 4Gb file and it has taken well over an hour ... it seems to be at much the same speed as watching the program anyway. Anyone else have this sort of problem or does anyone know any fixes. It is a freshly NTFS formatted 120gB USB hard drive which works perfectly on my PC.

Thanks for any help

This is due to the file system used by the 2100; copy speeds are better with the current firmware (as is the deletion of recordings). My recollection is that it still takes a long time to copy files. My recollection is that the 2100 supports external storage formatted with NTFS, JFS and ext2 file systems as well as its native Silicon Graphics XFS file system. (It may wrong about JSF and ext2 - it has been a while since I last tested it.)

It is unclear why copy speeds are so slow on the 2100; it has a more powerful processor than other Toppys and the chip is, according to the manufacturer, capable of supporting gigabit Ethernet (although the 2100 does not have Ethernet), so it should be able to support fast transfer to external devices.

Ian

No Peter, nothing about formatting. Where should it be?

And the Topfield is reading the USB as I can play MP3 and MP4 files on it. But the problem is when trying to move a file from the Topfield to the USB, it says it can't do it because the USB is "Read Only". :logik:

The 2100 can read USB flash drives but you cannot copy files to it (if it is formatted in FAT32). Cannot recall if I have tested with USB stick formatted with any other file system. Most USB sticks come formatted with FAT32 (larger one may be formatted with xFAT). The 2100 cannot read or write to external devices formatted with xFAT. I suspect the reason why writing to FAT32 is not permitted is the max file size of 4gig which is too small for a 1 hour HD recording.

Ian

My 2100 Topfield regularly shows live TV as pixelated on screen, freezing up and skipping, and recordings sometimes play back perfectly, but many times are just as bad, pixelated, freezing up, skipping, going out of sync etc.

But if I plug the TV ariel into the TV direct, then live TV shows fine.

What could be wrong? And is there a solution?

We had a digital ariel installed 6 months ago. So what is causing this? Are the Topfield tuners not as good quality as the TV one?

Could an old TV ariel cable cause it?

While the most likely cause is signal strength, another possibility is that due to a problem with the firmware, the Toppy is not correctly tuned. The latest firmware fixes this problem (it mainly affect users in regional areas, particularly with WIN).

Can someone answer two questions please? 1/ What is time shift used for? 2/ I set my IR button to record a program, and so amny times it never finishes the show..It irritates me so much. I recorded Taggart last night, missed the final part, by at least 15 mins. Didn't get to see the accused murderer..hehe.It happens to several other shows I use my IR for..Has this something to do with a time shift..?Why , oh why does this happen to me.I have even used the IR to set the next show, so that it continues my previous show..HELP!!

I love the Toppy 7160,except for that problem..

Time shift is not likely to be the problem. IR is not, despite its name, all that intelligent. The main reason why you are missing the end of programs is that they start later than the time set by the IR. This time is set some time before the recording (could be up to a week before) and the scheduled time can change and the actual time is likely to be different again. (Usually the program is transmitted later, but occasionally earlier - particularly over night with GEM and 7Mate). You can extend the recoding time by increasing the post buffer (it can be up to 30 minutes). This late transmission can also result in files being incorrectly name - you can use the IRRename TAP to correct incorrectly named recordings and the IRReview TAP to have the time of scheduled IR recordings updated for changes in transmission times given in the EPG.

Another possibility is that there is a firmware bug that causes recording to end prematurely if the instant recording time is set for less than an hour (I always set it for 2 hours so I've never seen it).

Ian

Hope this is the right place to post this question. I have a Topfield 2400 and it has suddenly stopped recording from timer. I can press record manually and everything's fine, but it won't record from the EPG -- the red R stays there to indicate the program SHOULD record, but it doesn't do so automatically. I don't have any apps installed. I'm pretty sure this problem co-incided with the end of Daylight Saving, but it DOES know what time it is. I haven't yet tested to see if it starts the recordings an hour later, which would confirm it to be a daylight saving issue -- I'll try to do so in the next day or so, but in the meantime, has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,

CatieB.

HI Catie,

Delete your timers. Set a new one (just a random one for 10 minutes in 10 minutes time) and see if it works.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi Peter,

I think I've figured it out. When daylight saving ended, I went into settings and turned daylight saving to 'off'. I'm thinking now maybe that doesn't mean what I thought it means. I thought it was something you turn on and off when daylight saving starts and stops. I'm thinking now that it actually means whether or not you live in a state that observes daylight saving, and I only needed to set it the once when I initially configured the unit.

So recordings WERE actually starting, but they were trying to start an hour late, and I had been manually overriding them.

Does that sound right to you? Is that what the 'daylight saving' part of the 'time' menu means?

Thanks,

Catie.