I've been considering getting one of the new 3LCD RPTV's from Sony, or possibly a plasma, I'm not totally sure which yet.

Anyway, looking at most of these - the top of the screen is just too narrow to balance a centre speaker on top.

I'm wondering what everyone does with their centre speaker? Do you have it the cabinet below the TV?

I have the same problem (well probably everyone).

From what I assumed, people are either mounting on the wall behind (ie plasmas mounted also). for myself I find that a suitable tv stand has the space on the top shelf to house a center speaker.

The only quam I have with this was I thought the center speaker would "feel" below where your brain thinks the voice should be coming but im told if you +1 your center it works well.

BTW I too am looking at the 3LCD... if only it had DVI the world would be a better place (ive been ranting everywhere but sony arent listening :blink:)

I've been considering getting one of the new 3LCD RPTV's from Sony, or possibly a plasma, I'm not totally sure which yet.

Anyway, looking at most of these - the top of the screen is just too narrow to balance a centre speaker on top.

I'm wondering what everyone does with their centre speaker? Do you have it the cabinet below the TV?

I have a plasma on a stand on a cabinet. The only speaker I could find to fit at the base

of the plasma without blocking the screen was (shock, horror) a Bose.

Before all the audiophiles jump down my neck, it was the only one to fit and it works a treat.

I recently got one of hte new Suamsung Plasmas with the 10 Jamo speakers attached to the TV and just wired these as a centre speaker. Although only 30w it is enough for a centre speaker and intigrated so fits nicely.

I know that this is an odd solution however there must be similar speakers available.

You can pick up odd bose speakers from ebay which are a good option for a centre as long as you are not too into music (in which case why would you have a centre speaker) and they are high enough quality for this type of task.

• Moderators

If you have a big enough centre speaker as my richter unicorn - I just put the plasma on top of it.

Obviosuly you can't do that with a RPTV. Some people mount a purpose built shelf above their TVs for mounting the centre speaker. Some people put the centre speaker below the TV in a shelf - this can some times influence the sound.

In all cases try to keep the centre speaker at ear level when your in viewing position - If also possible keep the the tweeter of the centre in line with the tweeters on your left and right speakers (helps with sound pans across the front sound stage). If all this not possible and the centre ends up in a less than ideal posittion you can just angle the centre so pointing at your ears.

If you have a big enough centre speaker as my richter unicorn - I just put the plasma on top of it.

Obviosuly you can't do that with a RPTV. Some people mount a purpose built shelf above their TVs for mounting the centre speaker. Some people put the centre speaker below the TV in a shelf - this can some times influence the sound.

In all cases try to keep the centre speaker at ear level when your in viewing position - If also possible keep the the tweeter of the centre in line with the tweeters on your left and right speakers (helps with sound pans across the front sound stage). If all this not possible and the centre ends up in a less than ideal posittion you can just angle the centre so pointing at your ears.

I have a specially made long low cabinet that has room in the centre for a large centre speaker and my Yamaha amp. I use Mission 782 mains on each end of the cabinet. Getting a cabinet that has room in the centre is difficult as the manufacturers don't seem to think about centre speakers.

I've got a Samsung 61" and I was upset that no consideration was made for the centre speaker. The 50" (IIRC) actually has a shelf of sorts.

I was going to make a shelf at the top, but decided it would be to ungainly, so I stuck the centre underneath. Not ideal but the best I could do. Lucky I had my IKEA TV stand since neither my centre or amp would fit into the Samsung stand.

You'd think that manufacturers of these expensive screens would imagine purchases might also buy something more than a cheap receiver/speaker combo.

B

I've been thinking about getting one of those IKEA "floating" shelves for about $60 to hold the centre speaaker just above the plasma.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ats=10104*10172

That wall shelf looks like a good idea, but I notice that the maximum load on the shelf is only 5kg, so it wouldn't suit larger speakers.

I was in a HI-FI shop the other day looking for furniture with space for a centre, and the sales guy said that he wouldn't put a speaker in the shelf because it influences the sound. I asked what they do, and he said they put the centre on an angled stand on the floor :blink: It might sound OK, but would have a very low WAF :P

I've been thinking about getting one of those IKEA "floating" shelves for about $60 to hold the centre speaaker just above the plasma.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ats=10104*10172

That wall shelf looks like a good idea, but I notice that the maximum load on the shelf is only 5kg, so it wouldn't suit larger speakers.

I was in a HI-FI shop the other day looking for furniture with space for a centre, and the sales guy said that he wouldn't put a speaker in the shelf because it influences the sound. I asked what they do, and he said they put the centre on an angled stand on the floor :blink: It might sound OK, but would have a very low WAF :P

Yeah, I know the 5kg limit is a bummer, luckily for me my centre is only about 2kg.

I saw this offering from Onkyo on the web a few weeks ago and thought that they were heading down the right track.... so long as you don't mind Onkyo speakers! It would have a strong WAF though.

I've got a Samsung plasma and will have it sitting on a low AV cabinet with no shelving above the screen. The centre speaker with the Panasonic surround system is slimline and can be directly mounted to the wall. So I'm going to mount it immediately above the plasma on the wall. I think that's a better option than having it sitting loosly on the AV cabinet in front of the plasma. Can only attract the kids there!

Cheers,

Decuer.

Nice choice of speaker for a centre!

I have a custom made plasma cabinet with two shelves, the Richter Unicorn goes on the 1st shelf directly underneath the plasma next to the Topfield, bottom shelf for two of my amps.

I dont have any problems placing the dialogue etc on screen, I believe a centre channel speaker with a wide dispersion tweeter would help here..

Cheers Mark

If you have decent speakers with good phase response that give a strong centre image, there is no need for a centre speaker as long as you sit in the sweet spot between the speakers.

Unfortunately this does not work for viewers who are off axis. That’s what a centre speaker is there for.

If you TV has inbuilt speakers, you may be able to send both left and right inbuilt speakers a mono centre channel signal. This will create a similar affect to a normal centre channel.

You could also achieve this by using an external pair of speakers mounted as close as possible to each edge of the screen (preferably at centre screen height) and both sent the centre channel signal.

You position the other four surround speakers as normal.

Regards,

Owen