I currently have a Panasonic widescreen TV and I'm considering relacing it with a Plasma.

I watch a fair amount of hard-subtitled DivX avi's (burnt to DVD) and occasionally the subtitles are too low in the image so they're off the bottom of the screen (due to overscan).

With my Pana, I have to get into the service menu to adjust the vertical height to get the subtitles to display fully - this does have the bad affect of displaying some noise at the bottom of the screen, so I have to re-adjust this afterwards.

I'm wondering if Plasmas have an easier method of adjusting the height & width of the image - or would I still need to get into the service menu?

-bump-

Anyone have any comments on how easy it is to adjust overscan on Plasmas? ie image height & width.

The NEC HD plasmas (don't know about their SD panels) allow adjustment of height, width and position for all 7 video inputs. Easily accessed from the remote ... and a memory for each input.

Since plasmas have no geometry problems, one just adjusts the size to full height ... minus one line to remove the VBI "morse code" added by some broadcasters.

The NEC HD plasmas (don't know about their SD panels) allow adjustment of height, width and position for all 7 video inputs. Easily accessed from the remote ... and a memory for each input.

Since plasmas have no geometry problems, one just adjusts the size to full height ... minus one line to remove the VBI "morse code" added by some broadcasters.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :blink: ... thanks.

In my experience with NEC plasmas, even with the Height and width controls at minimum there is still significant overscan. Almost always these are set to minimum to get the maximum viewing area.

Pioneer Professional plasmas (43MXE and 50MXE) have powerful geometry controls in the Integrator Menu.

The Panasonic Viera also has eometry controls but they are in a terrible service menu.

Aaron

In my experience with NEC plasmas, even with the Height and width controls at minimum there is still significant overscan. Almost always these are set to minimum to get the maximum viewing area.

Pioneer Professional plasmas (43MXE and 50MXE) have powerful geometry controls in the Integrator Menu.

The Panasonic Viera also has eometry controls but they are in a terrible service menu.

Aaron

If you turn "u-scan" on in the service menu of the NEC, "underscan" becomes available as a picture format in the section where "normal", "full", "stadium" etc are, then you can increase the size out from there if necessary and it'll remember the size too.

Rob.