Sign in to follow this  
ajsteel

Samsung PS42P4H - Just Purchased

Guys,

Just some follow up from last week. Samsung techie has been out and applied the firmware upgrade. No more lockups! (Only ever happened once for me anyway).

BUT.... When I got home and turned on the tellie, I thought "WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GUY DONE TO MY PICTURE?!" Was too bright, grainy and was noticing some solarisation. Then it dawned on me! When applied, the firmware upgrade changes all settings back to factory. So all my THX calibrations were lost.

Did the THX calibration again on the weekend and she's back to normal. Clean, bright and detailed PQ with no solarisation except on bad quality ABC or SBS sources (and you've got to look for it).

For those complaining of solarisation, I'd suggest you do the THX calibration for your DVD input and replicate this as best you can for your STB input. (Even better, have it professionally calibrated). You'll find your contrast setting will likely be reduced quite substantially and along goes most of the solarisation with it. If you have Contrast set to 100% (the factory setting)..... then you'll see solarisation everywhere if you look for it! :blink:

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Cheers,

Deucer.

Guys,

Just some follow up from last week.  Samsung techie has been out and applied the firmware upgrade.  No more lockups! (Only ever happened once for me anyway).

BUT....  When I got home and turned on the tellie, I thought "WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GUY DONE TO MY PICTURE?!"  Was too bright, grainy and was noticing some solarisation.  Then it dawned on me!  When applied, the firmware upgrade changes all settings back to factory.  So all my THX calibrations were lost.

Did the THX calibration again on the weekend and she's back to normal.  Clean, bright and detailed PQ with no solarisation except on bad quality ABC or SBS sources (and you've got to look for it).

For those complaining of solarisation, I'd suggest you do the THX calibration for your DVD input and replicate this as best you can for your STB input.  (Even better, have it professionally calibrated).  You'll find your contrast setting will likely be reduced quite substantially and along goes most of the solarisation with it.  If you have Contrast set to 100% (the factory setting)..... then you'll see solarisation everywhere if you look for it!  :blink:

Cheers,

Deucer.

Thanks Deucer - appreciate the input. However, I'm about to put the thing back in it's box and I have a courier booked to return it to Megamart tomorrow. I may be a nit picker, but I just can't live with it. I have tried the THX calibration thing, but my wife and I are at the stage where we just want it out of the house. I now will take a step back an work out what to do next. I still want to replace the 68cm, but with what?

Thanks Deucer - appreciate the input.  However, I'm about to put the thing back in it's box and I have a courier booked to return it to Megamart tomorrow. I may be a nit picker, but I just can't live with it.  I have tried the THX calibration thing, but my wife and I are at the stage where we just want it out of the house.  I now will take a step back an work out what to do next.  I still want to replace the 68cm, but with what?

How long have you had it? I've noticed that after 4 months of use, the solarisation has diminished. Either that or the broadcast sources are generally improving.... or both.

Either way, you've got to be happy with it. Hope you find what you're after. :blink:

Cheers,

Deucer.

How long have you had it?  I've noticed that after 4 months of use, the solarisation has diminished.  Either that or the broadcast sources are generally improving.... or both.

Either way, you've got to be happy with it.  Hope you find what you're after.  :blink:

Cheers,

Deucer.

Had it for just on one week. Maybe not long enough to be fair, but unless I move now it will be hard to return. don't get me wrong, the thing is great for DVD's, but annoys me while watching TV - which is 95% of what we do really...

My mate at work is trying to convince me that CRT is the way to go. He has a 36" sony and loves it. I was not really interested in these things because of the weight, but I suppose once it's in place, who cares ?

Hi all, im about the buy this model

but just wanting to know where i can find the cheapest price, i've read all the replies some quote 4k some even 3500

i wouldnt pay more that 3500...matter of fact i didnt

just tell them that all you can pay cash..if they take it good...if not keep trying

jc

i wouldnt pay more that 3500...matter of fact i didnt

just tell them that all you can pay cash..if they take it good...if not keep trying

jc

why wouldnt you pay more than 3500

tv not worth it or......

lol..or....cause i didnt so i wouldnt pay more than 3500 if i were to buy another 1

I got one of these on the weekend - for $3,500 on amex (extra year of warranty thankyou) and apart from a couple of lock-ups it is all good. Samsung know about this and it is just a matter of getting the firmware upgrade. Apart from that I am very happy, got a couple of good cables from jaycar and even foxtel digital looks fairly good. I don't have a STB connected as I am using fox for 2 and 9 and even the analog PQ is kind of fine (when will fox get the extra channels I ask!? Answer, probably never).

The feature I like the best is the PIP - because you can change the source on the PIP - and at this time of year that is sensational as too much sport is never enough....

On the whole, happy, will be very happy when the lock-ups get fixed.

Naarn

Good to hear a positive report. I am soooo confused. I really want this set but the LG sounds alot better as everyone as saying really positive things about it. There is a new Samsung SD plasma thats just come out too. I sooo have no idea what to do :blink:. I am leaning towards the PS42P4H but I just cant be bothered with the hastles of lock up, solarisation, and sound sync stuff. I wish Samsung would just fix it and be done with it.

Guys,

Just some follow up from last week.  Samsung techie has been out and applied the firmware upgrade.  No more lockups! (Only ever happened once for me anyway).

BUT....  When I got home and turned on the tellie, I thought "WHAT THE HELL HAS THIS GUY DONE TO MY PICTURE?!"  Was too bright, grainy and was noticing some solarisation.  Then it dawned on me!  When applied, the firmware upgrade changes all settings back to factory.  So all my THX calibrations were lost.

Did the THX calibration again on the weekend and she's back to normal.  Clean, bright and detailed PQ with no solarisation except on bad quality ABC or SBS sources (and you've got to look for it).

For those complaining of solarisation, I'd suggest you do the THX calibration for your DVD input and replicate this as best you can for your STB input.  (Even better, have it professionally calibrated).  You'll find your contrast setting will likely be reduced quite substantially and along goes most of the solarisation with it.  If you have Contrast set to 100% (the factory setting)..... then you'll see solarisation everywhere if you look for it!  :blink:

Cheers,

Deucer.

Hey Deucer, how about posting your settings so we can give them a try!

I must have been the luckiest or whatever. The problems with the Samsung PS42 listed here blow me away. I even went and checked the model number for my Samsung and yep, it is a PS42 the same as lots here are complaining about.

Mine is great! When I originally bought mine I spent over an hour comparing the picture quality with other screens on display. On what I saw, possibly the only better picture was on a Pioneer but it cost heaps more than what I paid. And I continue to be delighted with my purchase.

Maybe my old eyes aren't what they used to be? My PS42 looks pretty good to me (and isn't that what this is all about?)

I'd also appreciate the settings. I tried the THX DVD calibration but had no luck in improving PQ.

Spoke with Samsung today, said they would fix the solarisation I have with mine. Awaiting contact from service agent.

The more I read about this model, the more I think it may be REAL beneficial to have them professionally calibrated. Anyone know of one thats been done?

bb671

No dramas. I'll dig 'em out on the coming weekend and post.

You should note however that my settings are judged by my eyes, for my PDP using my specific brands and model of HDSTB and DVD player. Your equipment combinations will likely be different to mine, which renders my settings effectively useless for your setup. It's all VERY subjective and you really should do it for your own equipment.

Will come back re: this in a few days.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Spoke with Samsung today, said they would fix the solarisation I have with mine. Awaiting contact from service agent.

bb671

I'd be interested to hear 'exactly' what they do to "fix" the solarisation problem. The fact remains it's still only a 16.7 million colour panel which I'm told (on this forum) makes ANY panel more susceptible to solarisation, regardless of source PQ.

Again, I think you'll find it reduces over time as the panel beds in. It's so minimal now for me that I have to look for it to notice.

Cheers,

Deucer.

I'd be interested to hear 'exactly' what they do to "fix" the solarisation problem.  The fact remains it's still only a 16.7 million colour panel which I'm told (on this forum) makes ANY panel more susceptible to solarisation, regardless of source PQ.

~

Cheers,

Deucer.

Agreed, I would think their best bet would be have the stb/dvd output set to match the native resolution/frequency of the display. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

Well.. Sorry for the delays guys but my ordeal with my samsung has been a long one.

Basically I have had the service guy from Vickory Sound out three times

a) To look at it and see what fault was.

:blink: Upon advice from Samsung he cable tied all internal white power cables down to reduce buzzing.

c) Due to above not doing a damn thing he replaced the COMPLETE PSU board with a brand new board.

Still not fixed the buzz so I swapped the plasma at the Good Guys erina for a NEW one two weeks ago.

Believe it or not the NEW one still has the buzz - When it does it I cant stand to watch the TV.

So now im giving them the choice - money back OR new model when it arrives.

And I AINT taking no for an answer.

Dave

Ive been reading this topic regarding the PS42P4H and THought I would mention that I have this unit and the TEAC HD STB (connected via DVI)

I have the following issues with the panel.

1. Buzzing sound (intermittant). Sounds like its comming from a torroid transformer at the back of the panel. Gets louder with brighter colours on the screen (white, blue etc). UNACCEPTABLE and IF NOT FIXED WILL BE DEMANDING A REFUND.

2. When I first turn the set on I get random blue dots throughout the picture.. Its almost like a light static. THis seems to dissapear as the set gets 'warm'.

3. SOLARISATION. Clay faces.. At first I thought I was going mad.. But after reading this forum it sounds to be a real problem.

I disagree however with those of you who say it doesnt happen with HD.. I watch getaway etc and when the faces pan around the screen the solarisation is unacceptable... I would rather watch a Nokia Mobile phone. When the faces are stationary however the picture is perfect.

Firmware: My version is 16 September 2004. (thanks for the codes to get into the service menu)

Can people please list the date of their firmware here...  If I dont have the latest I will request that when they fix points 1 & 2.

P.S I purchased this unit with speakers & the TEAC STB (HD) for 1400 on AGC about 2 months ago from Good Guys Erina..

THanks

David

Well.. Sorry for the delays guys but my ordeal with my samsung has been a long one.

Basically I have had the service guy from Vickory Sound out three times

a) To look at it and see what fault was.

:blink: Upon advice from Samsung he cable tied all internal white power cables down to reduce buzzing.

c) Due to above not doing a damn thing he replaced the COMPLETE PSU board with a brand new board.

Still not fixed the buzz so I swapped the plasma at the Good Guys erina for a NEW one two weeks ago.

Believe it or not the NEW one still has the buzz - When it does it I cant stand to watch the TV.

So now im giving them the choice - money back OR new model when it arrives.

And I AINT taking no for an answer.

Dave

I'm in a similar frame of mind, i'll be interested to see how you go

cheers

bb671

Hi Guys,

I just recently picked up a Samsung PS42S5, does anyone know the difference between the PS42PsH and the PS42S5?

I note that the PS42P4H was superseded by the PS42S5H in August. Does anyone know if Samsung have fixed the lock-up and solarisation problems with the new model? From reading this thread many people weren't too happy with the PS42P4H model for these reasons.

I have the PS42S5, no freezing what so ever.

There was a slight lag in voice, but if you use the outputs from the back of the screen direct to a reciever it goes away.

Also, you can't turn off DNIe, dunno if that is a good thing or bad.

I have the PS42S5, no freezing what so ever.

There was a slight lag in voice, but if you use the outputs from the back of the screen direct to a reciever it goes away.

Also, you can't turn off DNIe, dunno if that is a good thing or bad.

Bad, think it causes the solarization.

Bad, think it causes the solarization.

Nope....... In my experience, turning off the DNIe has no affect on the solarisation. In the most part, the solarisation is caused by the quality of the broadcasted source. American cable programs and old BBC stuff seem to be the worst culprits. Seeing less of it these days and so solarisation is less of an issue.

Give us some facts before you think outloud next time! Or even better.... give us some direct experiences to back up your claim! (vent)....

Deucer.

Nope.......  In my experience, turning off the DNIe has no affect on the solarisation.  In the most part, the solarisation is caused by the quality of the broadcasted source.  American cable programs and old BBC stuff seem to be the worst culprits.  Seeing less of it these days and so solarisation is less of an issue.

Give us some facts before you think outloud next time!  Or even better.... give us some direct experiences to back up your claim!  (vent)....

Deucer.

Sure....lucky I used the word think then.

Sure....lucky I used the word think then.

Sorry boxall, was a bit rough on you last night. It's just that misinformation is a pet hate of mine. It can send people on a very wild goose chase! Only to end up where you started! :blink:

To give you some more constructive info re: solarization on the Samsung 42" PS42P4H plasma.... I've found that the following things will substantially reduce the solarisation:

(1) Turn down your contrast from the ridiculously high factory setting and calibrate your picture using the THX tool (on any George Lucas DVD). Better, get it professionally calibrated after PDP is run in.

(2) Have patience. When run in (approx 100hrs viewing) the solarisation really does diminish.

(3) Don't watch poor quality broadcasts (typically American cable programs, commonly in 4:3 ratio, and old BBC/ ABC programs). If you must watch them, be prepared to put up with solarisation.

(4) Get a good HD STB and calibrate the PDP for this input to match your DVD input THX settings. Don't use the internal tuner.

(5) Don't be so critical. Rather, determine to enjoy your purchase. You spent a lot of money on it, and in todays market you won't find a perfect PDP. Life is full of compromises! :P

Cheers,

Deucer.

What is exactly is solarization?

Is that when the colours seam like they were painted on? espectially on human skin?