Samsung PS42P4H - Just Purchased

I got the lockup, I got the audio sync problem but far and away the biggest problem is the solarisation.

I try to ignore it but it is so obvious that its irritating especially when I see my friends TV's and they rarely have the problem.

The solarisation is evident every time the camera pans or someone moves quickly- for example watch My restaturant rules and you'll see it is almost unwatchable.

The service guys came around and did the firmware upgrade but said theres nothing they can do about the solarisation. I rang Samsung and they said that they won't replace it because the service guy hasn't said it's a repair problem.

Now I get a line of pixels down the middle of the screen that go from grey to red and hold onto the colour around them for a few seconds. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do.

Surely I didn't just throw $4000 away.

My PDP is connected to a HD set top box, and an LG HDD DVD Recorder I've tried these on other PDP's and they work perfectly.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Also when I spoke to Samsung they said they've never had a problem with the TV and have never had one returned, I then mentioned that there are plenty of reports of problems on this forum and the girl on the phone denied it.

Hello tabz_0000

First of all, don't worry. It seems that unless you pay a great deal to get a top brand, every plasma has pros and cons, especially the lower price as manufacturer use less processing to cut cost. For the lockup problem, see how some people got it fixed. As I mentioned before in this forum, Samsung plasmas have been known (see Cnet reviews in Aust and US) for noticeable solarisation. This is more visible with moving pictures when the original souce is not HD (note that the broadcaster may scale up the souce to HD before transmission). If you watch true HD source such as Get Away, you'll see that this is very negligible. By the way, this solarisation happens only with Component /S-Video/DVI inputs. What I suspect is that the green signal is abit delayed compared to other color signals (Red,Blue) as a result of filtering inside the TV. However, if you watch DVDs from a computer via VGA input @1024x768 resolution, I'm sure this won't happen. This is because the PDP won't need to do any conversion as the input signal matches the native resolution of the panel.

If you are very a cricial viewer, a possibe solution is to consider a HTPC (home theatre PC) which can allow you to watch HDTV with brilliant pictures with no more motion artifacts. A HTPC also allows you to schedule TV recording, skip commercials, a versatile DVD recorder, ... and so much more. Just do a Google search on HTPC and you will see. At the moment, the cost of a commercial HTPC starts from 1.5k (see http://www.edutechnology.com.au/home/produ..._home/index.php ) for an example. However, you can also build one and depending on what you need, probably $800 might be enough. Note that, with a HTPC, you will no longer need a HD STB and DVD recorder. Some other people in this forum also mentioned about this.

The bottom line is: there may be some trade-off for the low price of the HD plasma if you are too cricial. However, the saving allows you to buy a HTPC box that gives you amazing viewing experience, which I bet will be equivalent to top-brand plasmas.

Guys thanks for all your replies.

I've decided though that I'm gonna contact Megamart and get them to exchange it for another panel.

I've tried so hard to ignore the Solarisation but it is so prominent on so many shows that I actually hate the TV.

On question though with my HD STB I select the format as 1080i is this correct, or do I have to change depending on the channel, and how do I know what format to use?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On question though with my HD STB I select the format as 1080i is this correct, or do I have to change depending on the channel, and how do I know what format to use?

I leave mine on 1080i. Find the PQ is best when left there. The STB should provide info on the video and audio protocols the broadcaster is using for each channel. You'll likely have an info button or similar on your remote for this.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the PDP. Hope you find something that meets all your requirements. The upside is those prices keep coming down.

Cheers,

Deucer.

I leave mine on 1080i. Find the PQ is best when left there. The STB should provide info on the video and audio protocols the broadcaster is using for each channel. You'll likely have an info button or similar on your remote for this.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the PDP. Hope you find something that meets all your requirements. The upside is those prices keep coming down.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Guys

Thanks for all the advice...Samsung have screwed me around so much on this I refuse to buy another Samsung product.

I did speak to Megamart and they have agreed to exchange the PDP for another one...I'm thinking of going for the LG DT42PY10x it's a nice looking unit with a HD Tuner built in does anyone know much about it? It's ticket price is $5499 but I can get it for $4450.

Thanks

I did speak to Megamart and they have agreed to exchange the PDP for another one...I'm thinking of going for the LG DT42PY10x it's a nice looking unit with a HD Tuner built in does anyone know much about it? It's ticket price is $5499 but I can get it for $4450.

Thanks

Hi

Be careful and check it out first,new LG HD Plasma due out June/July at RRP of $3999.

Regards

Basil

Hi All,

I have recently bought the Samsung PS42P4H, and have had it for about 2 days now.

Seems to be not to bad....However have read a lot of reviews/posts in regards to the screen locking up, and colour solarising issues.

I am still waiting on the HD box to come, as they had to order the unit I am chasing, however in the meantime am not 100% happy with the PDP.

Many reviews and people are talking about 16.7million colours v's XX Billion colour screens, however im not 100% sure if this makes a 500% (to say) difference???

Understanding of the fact that more colours 'should' give a better/true® match to the original image, however I am noticing that this Samsung screen appears to have a lot of solarisation when watching all analogue broadcasts, and DVD even when the signal is received via Video in RCA, RGB-3xRCA Component Video, and S-Video as well.

Is this normal from such source signals, and once the HD box comes, it is likely to disappear?

I have noticed that the screen has only locked up once so far, so hoping for this note to happen again.

Other then the 1 Lock up, and the current solarisation issue, I am otherwise very happy. If the solarisation issue will be eliminated by the HD box, then im sure I will be holding on to this one.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been reading this topic regarding the PS42P4H and THought I would mention that I have this unit and the TEAC HD STB (connected via DVI)

I have the following issues with the panel.

1. Buzzing sound (intermittant). Sounds like its comming from a torroid transformer at the back of the panel. Gets louder with brighter colours on the screen (white, blue etc). UNACCEPTABLE and IF NOT FIXED WILL BE DEMANDING A REFUND.

2. When I first turn the set on I get random blue dots throughout the picture.. Its almost like a light static. THis seems to dissapear as the set gets 'warm'.

3. SOLARISATION. Clay faces.. At first I thought I was going mad.. But after reading this forum it sounds to be a real problem.

I disagree however with those of you who say it doesnt happen with HD.. I watch getaway etc and when the faces pan around the screen the solarisation is unacceptable... I would rather watch a Nokia Mobile phone. When the faces are stationary however the picture is perfect.

Firmware: My version is 16 September 2004. (thanks for the codes to get into the service menu)

Can people please list the date of their firmware here... If I dont have the latest I will request that when they fix points 1 & 2.

P.S I purchased this unit with speakers & the TEAC STB (HD) for 1400 on AGC about 2 months ago from Good Guys Erina..

THanks

David

slimf-

How much did u say you paid for the unit? 1400? Thats extreamly cheap. I have a freind (business client), that is infact a Samsung disty, and that is way way below even his buy price from Samsung, this might be the reason you unit was so cheap, and/or not all that good- ie. buzzing issua, blue dots... etc...

This is not a problem I had with my unit, I have since returned it and have recieved a refund, however the clay face issue was a big issue for me.

I infact noticed a colour streaming issue watching HD as well, (Samsund HD 550 STB), and it wasn't good at all on DVI/or any other connection. It looks like a rainbow behind the face/head/object.

The big issue I had was that the Samsung was the only screen that I looked at, where i was able to see extra pixals/dots to try to fill in colour in flat colour areas.

As mentioned it has since gone back and money back in my bank... ;-)

Im now looking at waiting for the new Fujitsu 50" or 55", yes its a lot more $$$, but hey 50" and Fujitsu... well what more can i say.....

The only down side to the Fujitsu other then the $$$ I have noticed, is that the screen is based on a red contrast, where in bright white images/colours the white actually seems to have a redish tinge to it... I have look at the current model screen, all over sydney and it seems to vary depending on how its setup... However in all the screens i have seen it still remains to some degree....

I also have friends who work at Fujitsu, and after speaking to them im assured that its still a very good screen, and I believe it..... The new version is reported to be very much the same, however it will have HDMI instead of DVI... ;-)

Best of luck with the Sammy, and its a waste of time calling Samsung about this screen, they are bloody hopeless! I called 3 times and got a "there is nothing wrong with your screen, nore our product".... I told them it was bullshit, and to read forums across the internet... they just told me that they don't lock up, and the colour/clay face effect is nothing at all, just watch HD.... blah blah blah....

Oh btw my screen was built in Feb 2005, if i remember correctly! Could have even been later, but i think it was either Feb 2005 or March 2005...

;-)

Ive been reading this topic regarding the PS42P4H and THought I would mention that I have this unit and the TEAC HD STB (connected via DVI)

I have the following issues with the panel.

1. Buzzing sound (intermittant). Sounds like its comming from a torroid transformer at the back of the panel. Gets louder with brighter colours on the screen (white, blue etc). UNACCEPTABLE and IF NOT FIXED WILL BE DEMANDING A REFUND.

2. When I first turn the set on I get random blue dots throughout the picture.. Its almost like a light static. THis seems to dissapear as the set gets 'warm'.

3. SOLARISATION. Clay faces.. At first I thought I was going mad.. But after reading this forum it sounds to be a real problem.

I disagree however with those of you who say it doesnt happen with HD.. I watch getaway etc and when the faces pan around the screen the solarisation is unacceptable... I would rather watch a Nokia Mobile phone. When the faces are stationary however the picture is perfect.

Firmware: My version is 16 September 2004. (thanks for the codes to get into the service menu)

Can people please list the date of their firmware here...  If I dont have the latest I will request that when they fix points 1 & 2.

P.S I purchased this unit with speakers & the TEAC STB (HD) for 1400 on AGC about 2 months ago from Good Guys Erina..

THanks

David

Mine was built in Dec 04.

Has 16 Sept. Firmware

Had a local serviceman out last week to look at very poor solarisation issue. Agreed it was bad. He is going to install latest firmware soon, and reckons that will fix it, but i'm not so sure

cheers

bb671

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replying

I paid 4000 for the unit from Good Guys Erina (4400 with TEAC box) - not 1400. :-)

I had the tech out from Vickory Sound (nice bloke) and he is replacing the input boards and the power supply boards.. Parts on order..

The blue dot issue happens when the unit is cold.. I notice it more on cold days when I first switch the set on :-( Tech reckens the two new boards will fix the issues.

I saw another post here regarding the solarization and that a firmware update might fix it.. I doubt it to! Will keep you posted on if/when the parts arrive and get fitted.

Dave

slimf-

How much did u say you paid for the unit? 1400?  Thats extreamly cheap.  I have a freind (business client), that is infact a Samsung disty, and that is way way below even his buy price from Samsung, this might be the reason you unit was so cheap, and/or not all that good- ie. buzzing issua, blue dots... etc...

This is not a problem I had with my unit, I have since returned it and have recieved a refund, however the clay face issue was a big issue for me.

I infact noticed a colour streaming issue watching HD as well, (Samsund HD 550 STB), and it wasn't good at all on DVI/or any other connection.  It looks like a rainbow behind the face/head/object.

The big issue I had was that the Samsung was the only screen that I looked at, where i was able to see extra pixals/dots to try to fill in colour in flat colour areas.

As mentioned it has since gone back and money back in my bank... ;-)

Im now looking at waiting for the new Fujitsu 50" or 55", yes its a lot more $$$, but hey 50" and Fujitsu... well what more can i say.....

The only down side to the Fujitsu other then the $$$ I have noticed, is that the screen is based on a red contrast, where in bright white images/colours the white actually seems to have a redish tinge to it... I have look at the current model screen, all over sydney and it seems to vary depending on how its setup... However in all the screens i have seen it still remains to some degree....

I also have friends who work at Fujitsu, and after speaking to them im assured that its still a very good screen, and I believe it.....  The new version is reported to be very much the same, however it will have HDMI instead of DVI... ;-)

Best of luck with the Sammy, and its a waste of time calling Samsung about this screen, they are bloody hopeless!  I called 3 times and got a "there is nothing wrong with your screen, nore our product".... I told them it was bullshit, and to read forums across the internet... they just told me that they don't lock up, and the colour/clay face effect is nothing at all, just watch HD.... blah blah blah....

Oh btw my screen was built in Feb 2005, if i remember correctly! Could have even been later, but i think it was either Feb 2005 or March 2005...

;-)

Guest greyst49

Ooops. Posted in the wrong spot. Here's where it should have gone.

-----------------------------------

Having just bought a Samsung PS42P4H last week, I rang Samsung regarding the firmware upgrade. They said that a service agent would visit on-site to do the firmware upgrade within 48 hours.

What was interesting was that they said the upgrade would fix both the LOCKUP and SOLARISATION problems.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does the upgrade fix the solarisation?

Thanks

Ooops. Posted in the wrong spot.  Here's where it should have gone.

-----------------------------------

Having just bought a Samsung PS42P4H last week, I rang Samsung regarding the firmware upgrade. They said that a service agent would visit on-site to do the firmware upgrade within 48 hours.

What was interesting was that they said the upgrade would fix both the LOCKUP and SOLARISATION problems.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Does the upgrade fix the solarisation?

Thanks

Dunno. I suspect the firmware upgrade won't fix the solarisation. But I've got no information to support this suspicion. I'll tell you though..... I've found the solarisation with my unit has substantially reduced over time! It was only ever bad on low quality broadcasts and noticeable on quality broadcasts if you looked hard for it. Never seen it on 1080i broadcasts. But it's reduced now.

I think one of the following two things, or the combination of them has reduced the solarisation:

(1) Panel has run-in. I've had mine 4 months now and it's had a good workout.

(2) I did the THX optimiser on the DVD (component) input and replicated the settings (according to my eye) for the HDSTB input (DVI). This resulted in the contrast setting being reduced quite substantially (to a setting of about 60 to 70 from memory). I suspect this had a big impact in reducing solarisation. The THX optimiser is on the Star Wars and Incredibles DVD, amongst others (and any George Lucas produced DVD I'd suspect).

I was accidentally watching FTA via the analogue signal fed through my VCR (which is rarely used now) as opposed to via the STB and the panel locked up on me for the first time. So your post reminded me to log the service call for the firmware upgrade. When it comes, I'll look for any change in solarisation.

Cheers,

Deucer.

ive owned my ps4p4h for about two weeks now and love it. solarization issue does suck but i deal with it. i paid 3500 from good guys.

whats the code to get the service menu?

This is what I wrote down on my Owner's Instruction Manual.

In Standby mode.

On the remote hit in turn:

Info

Menu

Mute

and then Power On

Uhmmm, ok I am about to ask a really dumb question. I have just skimmed thru alot of the site so please dont flame me for asking a question that has probably been asked a zillion times before, but I honestly have not been able to find an explanation of this. Ok so here goes, "what is solarisation" ??.

I was really interested in one of these panels until I started seeing people commenting on solarisation and I have held off asking the question incase I could find the answer. I think I know but am not 100 percent sure.

If someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

Again, sorry if its been asked before. Im kinda an newbie/not so newbie to these forums.

Guest greyst49

I bought this plasma a week ago and have no idea whether it was sold with the firmware upgrade or not. Either way, it has performed flawlessly - no lockups whatsoever. Maybe there's a little solarisation, but it's minimal at best. It's more noticeable if you're standing 2 feet away from the screen. When you're sitting a few metres back (the correct distance), it's nothing.

I am interested in this too as I am seriously considering this panel as well.

I take solarisation to mean where shades of a color (usally face skin color) don't blend normally but appear as a big area of the one color tone. For my understanding of solarisation I have only noticed it with facial skin color.

I have a PS42P4H and find I only get what I call solarisation from lower quality video. I had a minimal amount of this (like about 10 secs) when watching the one dayer from England (via Austar) this morning during a close up of a batsman's face. Not worth worrying about really! Older programs such as Golden Girls on Austar have some solarisation too.

I don't recall any solarisation when watching live sport via the STB on free to air Hi Def

Thanks thomfam, much appreciated. So you would recommend this tv ??. I was very very keen until I started reading about the solarisation, lock ups and sound sync probs. Now Im not so sure. Its my first plasma purchase and I just want to be totally sure that I am making the right decision.

Well, I've had this plasma for nearly a week now.

Thoughts -

The good - design, plays DVD's well, generally good PQ with a high quality inputs (like DVD or HD TV). no lockups or lip sync issues (except for 1 or 2 foxtel channels).

The Bad - solarisation. I can't help it, but I look for it all the time now. It's true that it only seems to occur on lower qual inputs, but I'm finding it hard to enjoy the damn thing when I consider I blew 4 grand on it. I know all plasma's have issues of some sort, but I'm quite dissappointed

I'm at the stage now where I really need to make a decision on whether to try and swap it now for something else. Does anyone have any idea of what the returns policy of Megamart is? I've had it for less than a week and still have all the original packaging. Will they give me a hard time, or willingly exchange? Or would they at least give me store credit until I find soemthing I like?

Guest greyst49

Megamart should accept it back and give you a credit for another plasma given you've only had it for one week (especially so if you still have all the original packaging). Your argument should be that the plasma is not fit for purpose - that is, it doesn't provide the picture quality that the Megamart salesman promised and is unacceptable for your viewing requirements.

Here's a tip, however. Negotiate the price on the replacement plasma BEFORE you announce that you want to return your Samsung. You'll get a much better deal this way.

"Here's a tip, however. Negotiate the price on the replacement plasma BEFORE you announce that you want to return your Samsung. You'll get a much better deal this way."

Either do that, or get a credit voucher for the pruchase price and then you can begin to negotiate a price for another unit. If you cannot strike a deal, walk away and go to another megamart store.

"Here's a tip, however. Negotiate the price on the replacement plasma BEFORE you announce that you want to return your Samsung. You'll get a much better deal this way."

Either do that, or get a credit voucher for the pruchase price and then you can begin to negotiate a price for another unit.  If you cannot strike a deal, walk away and go to another megamart store.

Thanks for the advice guys. Went to Megamart last night and they don't seem to have an issue with returning it. I'm not in a big hurry to replace it, so I think I'll just get a credit and sit back with the 68cm until I see something I really like....