Samsung PS42P4H - Just Purchased

Samsung called back and they said they now have a fix for the lock up problem. I am awaiting a call from the local service centre to come out and do a the "5 min fix". Will keep you posted on the progress.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samsung called back and they said they now have a fix for the lock up problem. I am awaiting a call from the local service centre to come out and do a the "5 min fix". Will keep you posted on the progress.

1bigtv,

It's a bit hard to know if there's really a problem or not. :blink: After Chrisr_aus had Megamart come out to set up his gear properly, he's reported having no lock-ups. But.... if Samsung says thay have a fix for the problem, you can only assume there is one. But the question is.... What is it?

So... while Samsung's installing the fix for you, would you mind getting some details for us?

For example:

- What exactly is the problem?

- What circumstances or combinations of circumstances cause the problem?

- What production batches are affected? (Batches or dates will do). EDIT 22/04/05.

- What is the fix?

- Is it a hardware change or firmware fix?

- Are there any other ways to avoid the problem other than by Samsungs fix?

As an consumer of their product, you've got a right to know this so don't let them fob you off.

Having said all that... I still haven't had one complaint about my Samsung panel.

Thanks for following up with this.

Regards,

Deucer.

Guest sands88

1bigtv,

It's a bit hard to know if there's really a problem or not. :blink: After Chrisr_aus had Megamart come out to set up his gear properly, he's reported having no lock-ups. But.... if Samsung says thay have a fix for the problem, you can only assume there is one. But the question is.... What is it?

So... while Samsung's installing the fix for you, would you mind getting some details for us?

For example:

- What is the fix?

As an consumer of their product, you've got a right to know this so don't let them fob you off.

Having said all that... I still haven't had one complaint about my Samsung panel.

Regards,

Deucer.

Samsung also called me yesterday, the fix is a adjustment to one of the microprocessors in the PDP. This will be a software or firmware upgrade.

The problem only appears to recently manufactured PDP'S. The three I have had were manufactured December 2004.

For me this fix is too late. I replaced the samsung for the Pioneer PDP435HD.

Guest Chrisr_aus

I have yet to have the fix applied. But I have had no issues for over a week. I am using VGA, DVI, Component, S-VHS and composite ports with different video sources and all is running fine. The only problem I have is that on low quality input the PQ is not what you would like (garbage in - garbage out) Overall I am very happy with the PDP and watching HD tv via Teac or HTPC is excellent.

Chris

I have yet to have the fix applied. But I have had no issues for over a week.  I am using VGA, DVI, Component, S-VHS and composite ports with different video sources and all is running fine.  The only problem I have is that on low quality input the PQ is not what you would like (garbage in - garbage out) Overall I am very happy with the PDP and watching HD tv via Teac or HTPC is excellent. 

Chris

Would second that. ABC and SBS seem to be the problem broadcasters.

On the other hand, I watched LOTR #2 on DVD (Directors extended version) over the weekend and the Samsung performed flawlessly! I was very impressed... as were my mates! :-) No solarisation. No judder. Battle scenes were fantastic with the surround sound!

Re: the fix... I don't even know if I need it. The Samsung's never played up once.

Cheers,

Deucer.

I have yet to have the fix applied. But I have had no issues for over a week.  I am using VGA, DVI, Component, S-VHS and composite ports with different video sources and all is running fine.  The only problem I have is that on low quality input the PQ is not what you would like (garbage in - garbage out) Overall I am very happy with the PDP and watching HD tv via Teac or HTPC is excellent. 

Chris

Is the fix aimed at the lock up problem only? Do people still have synch problems between audio and video, or has that been solved also? Finally, has anyone gone for the big brother of this unit? The 50" looks like a styling replica of the 42" model but I haven't seen any commentary on its performance.

Thanks all for you constructive discussion - really helps people focus on their options.

Well I have been researching and looking at 42" plasma screens for approx 3 months. learning as much as I can about these awesome displays before making the plunge.

Now I have finally done it - I purchased the Samsung 42" HD P-S42P4H1 with stand, speakers & 2 yr warranty on Friday for......

$4200 !!! :blink:

Also got a $100 4 point power board surge protector for $50

So if you want one of these then get down to Dick Smith electronics whitehorse Rd, Nunawading, Melbourne. In the last 2 weeks I have been working Harvey Norman, JB Hi Fi & Dick all off against each other. Eventually - I told the guy at Dicks that I wanted to leave his store that day with the screen and I bargained the price. JB were good but - they were a bit wrapt up in techo speak and were not listening to me 'the customer' as to what I wanted - kept trying to convince me that I should spend $6k on Hitachi.

Yes I agree with all the positives stated about this screen in this forum - the screen is the best Bang for a Buck you will get.

However......

I too have been struck by the 'Lock-up' problem. :P

Not the syncing problem though. I have had 3 lock-up's since having the screen (48hrs) and am very grateful for all the insightful comments on this forum about this issue. Will be definitely calling Samsung & hopefully the 'fix' that has been talked about is working and I can move forward (Glad this has happened to me now & not in a months time when I loose my option to return!)

I dont want to send this screen back - because after so much research - this is clearly the winner for me.

As for my setup - I am at the basics until I build the Home theatre setup that I want. I am currently using the inbuilt tuner and DVD player. I think the JBL speakers are fantastic - The Mrs loves the design of the screen and all the inputs make this screen a big winner for me.

As to my future acquisitions, they are......

- A home theatre surround sound speaker & amplifier package (No DVD player etc). Minimum of 500W power, 5.1 speaker system with the ability to add 2 additional speakers. I want to run 2 additional apeakers to other parts of the house for playing music and radio. I am looking at a Yamaha system at present which is $498 at Dicks but, Dicks tells me that this will be replaced in the next 2 months with a better system of the same price - so I will wait.

- Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC).

If you are making a Home Theatre then you should really go down this path. Throw out your DVD player, recorder, PVR, digtial set top box, personal computer as all seperate boxes and get it all in one neat package where you know it works - cause you aint mixing a TEAC with a IBM with Panasonic with a Pioneer!!

The HTPC I have researched and am looking for is:

P4 3Ghz processor

512MB DDRAM (min)

160GB hard disk (min)

2 (yes 2!) DNTV HD Digital Tuner cards and software (these are the best HD digital cards on the market and the software is awesome as it is designed to support multiple cards (watch 1 channel record 2 others!)

128Mb graphics card

multiple digital card reader 6 or 9

DVI, s-video, composite outputs

MS windows XP media Centre SW

16 x DVD & CD RW +/-

Price is about $1800 if you look around

A good example of a 'quality' HTPC is offered at www.dpanda.com.au

I have also recently seen the HP (Hewlett Packard) home theatre PC - this a nice unit but, (the idiots!!) HP put analog TV tuner cards into these machines!! Can you believe it - they build a really good package and then ruin it with rubbish TV tuner cards!

Although the real nice thing abou the HP machines is

- Light scribe DVD burner - allows you to burn a picture and / or words of what you burnt onto your CD / DVD on the rear of the disk.

- the additional hard disk slot - you can simply slot into the PC box (just like a floppy disk or CD player) an additional Hard Disk of up to 160GB - thus you could end up with 320GB of hard disk - great for recording HD digital TV!!

Basically, when I set this machine up with my plasma I will be surfing the net through my Home cable connection, buring HD TV to hard disk or DVD, compiling an awesome music library both as mp3's or from broadcasts such as RAGE, recording 2 channels and watching another and the best part....

with the DNTV digital TV tuner - I can access the TV from the office or anywhere remotely and start recording a TV show etc.

Anyway - these are my thoughts - will let you know how I get on with the 'lockup' solution and my acquisitions as they come on board.

Cheers

I thought I had solved my Home Theatre Audio Sync problems with my Samsung 42" HD PS-42P4H but as it turns out I had not been able to fully do so. It certainly improved it but became annoying again after a while. I have 'double adapters' on the audio out from the PDP, one going to the Home Theatre 'audio in' and the other to radio headphones. There was even a sync problem then with audio muted on the PDP and with sound via the headphones and the Home Theatre speakers.

I connected a stand alone DVD Player to the PDP via component and all sync audio problems are now solved. However I still need to disable the PDP speakers (via "Mute On" in the Audio Menu) and I need to run the 'audio in' to the Home Theatre from the PDP.

I have had my Samsung for a month now and have not had any PDP lock up problems. The remote did lock up a few times during setup but all is OK now.

As people have said elsewhere in this thread, this Samsung is certainly great value for money. I am delighted with my purchase.

My thoughts on this PDP, which i've owned for 7 weeks now.

Can't fault the HD PQ from the HD LG4100 (DVI) - its awesome, well at least the test signals are, as thats all i've seen so far, being from Wollongong.

However am none too happy with the SD PQ from the same LG unit nor from my toppy (component). It seems to suffer from bad solarisation ( well I assume thats what im seeing, given the descriptions i've read). At first I thought it may be the Toppy/Component PQ issue i've read about, but its also very noticable from the LG, although maybe not quite so bad.

I've tried all possible settings on the Samsung but its still quite ordinary. Thought i'd give the screen time to settle hoping it would improve, but nope.

A small amount I could live but this I can't.

DVD from a Pio 373 (Component). Animated dvds such as the Pixar flicks are brilliant, but other dvds also suffer from this solarisation.

not sure what if anything I am doing wrong re setup, but IMO I can't get a decent SD PQ & I dont think I'm too fussy, quite the opposite

Any help would be appreciated,

Is there a service menu for better setup?

Calibration possible/recommended for this PDP?

Can sitting too close exaggerate solarisation, & hence sitting further away reduce its effect? due to room limitations I'm about 3 meters away

cheers

bb671

bb671,

In my experience with this panel, the SD material, particularly from ABC and SBS is where you'll notice solarisation..... and more so on their older material. So if this type of solarisation problem is associated with the quality of the material being broadcast... you'll get it with any PDP I'd suspect. I regularly notice solarisation with 7 (My Restaurant Rules is usually pretty bad), but not with 9 or 10.

You really need to get the HD digital broadcasts. They're made for your setup and you'll then really see what it's capable of.

I also have a Pio DV373 and have no trouble with solarisation. Although I try not to, I still look closely for it. Mine is connected directly to the PDP with NeoTech component cables.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Hi all,

I bought this unit last week for $3800 with stand and speakers.

I've got it hooked up to the LG4100 stb via DVI and the quality is excellent

I've also got a Panasonic DMR-e50 Recorder connected via a set of Crest platinum component cables and the solarisation is very noticable.

Would tuning reduce this or would I be better with a different DVD player?

Could someone please post up their settings for this screen as I had a quick look and saw that the contrast was all the way up to 100 (not good I presume?).

Thanks for any help offered,

Gavin

Hi all,

I bought this unit last week for $3800 with stand and speakers.

I've got it hooked up to the LG4100 stb via DVI and the quality is excellent

I've also got a Panasonic DMR-e50 Recorder connected via a set of Crest platinum component cables and the solarisation is very noticable.

Would tuning reduce this or would I be better with a different DVD player?

Could someone please post up their settings for this screen as I had a quick look and saw that the contrast was all the way up to 100 (not good I presume?).

Thanks for any help offered,

Gavin

Heh Gavsta,

That's a great price.....can you tell us where or who you got that price from ?

Also, is that the Pana DVD recorder with 80gb Hard drive ? Saw that yesterday at Dick Smith for $900.......is that a reasonable price ?

Would you recommend a DVD recorder with hard disk over a STB with Hard disk like the new Toshiba that everyone is trying to get their hands on ?

Well it's been a month since my first post and I couldn't be happier.

As a guest said whilst watching Hero the other night '..this picture is just beautiful, I have never seen anything like it...' I agree.

No more locks but will ring and get the fix soon.

Little solarisation but I spent a couple of weeks tweaking settings etc. Never from the DVD which is the benchmark for signal in my system. I don't watch My Grub Rules so cant comment on that. I actually think the display is a botox and makeup detector as this is the only time I notice any solorisation - no movement and all one colour. Might even watch the academy awards to see if this is true. LOL.

Am also building a PCTV HD receiver / recorder / MP3 player etc. and will post again when that is up and running. I am going the free option with MythTV which comes on a self installing disk - or you can just beet from the CD-Rom and see if you like it

http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

The deciding factor for this decision is that I plugged my Mac in the other night and it is AWESOME the games - the net etc. Not to mention a true 1024 x 768 deiplay signal for a change. It is another world altogether. I don't know about Windoze but OSX detects the display and produces a wide screen desktop to work on. Also in OSX you can do a display colour calibration for the Samsung P42 display and tweak it to perfection.

I would highly recommend this unit to anyone considering a purchase as once set up is is a thing of beauty and awe. Especially if you hope to plug a computer into your display.

$3800 Wow thats amazing - where did you get that price from? was it screen only or stand & speakers as well?

As for the 'Lock-up' Issue - I just had the service bloke from Samsung visit to apply the software patch to my Samsung. I spent 10 mins after he left changing channels and putting the screen through its paces - no problems - so far - will let you know if anything goes wrong but, I am very happy that this is done now.

The Service guy said that he has fixed a couple of these lately but, not a lot. He said the problem is with the software, the signal sent from the remote was conflicting with the panel software and when the conflict occurred the screen would just 'lock-up' and not read anymore input signals. Apparently, they flew an engineer out from Korea who looked at a screen in Sydney with the problem - spent 10mins on her PC creating a fix, applied the fix and went back to Korea. (Not a bad trip to the office!) They haven't had any problems with screens since the software patch has been applied.

So if anything, I recommend that you get the software patch applied to your screens as soon as possible - just to be safe.

Also - regarding the Lip sync problems - the Service guy said that for all these screens you should NOT use the audio out options from the screen to an external device. The screen needs to be set up as the sound receiver only. Thus, for your DVD player - you should have the sound outputted from the DVD into your Home Theatre Amplifier and then (optional) from the Amp into your Samsung screen. Not - DVD player to screen and then to Amplifier.

Just checked out the mythTV option - nice features but, you get most of the software features when you buy a HD TV tuner card and the mythTV option looks a little 'patchy' at present. Will be interested to see how you go with this.

Oh how I wish I had my HTPC set up now with digital reception - but soooonnn!!

:blink::P

Gavin

I also have this same DVD recorder and I find as a DVD player it is shocking compared to my Pioneer 355. With the Panasonic make sure any picture "enhancements" are turned off (ie NORMAL, not cinema etc) and I would try another player. I actually ended up buying the Pioneer after the Panasonic as I was so dissapointed with the playback functions on the Panasonic.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I'll be swapping the dvd player over as I have heard that it doesnt record in widescreen so thats a bit of a bummer.

I got for $3800 from the Good Guys in Prospect last tuesday including stand and speakers. They had just dropped the price to $3999 and it took me 2 minutes to get them down to $3800 for cash they also threw in the Lg 4100 for $450.

Gavin

I just bought this PDP last week and I must say it is a sexy unit.

However I am not happy with it at all nor am I happy with Samsung.

I got the lockup, I got the audio sync problem but far and away the biggest problem is the solarisation.

I try to ignore it but it is so obvious that its irritating especially when I see my friends TV's and they rarely have the problem.

The solarisation is evident every time the camera pans or someone moves quickly- for example watch My restaturant rules and you'll see it is almost unwatchable.

The service guys came around and did the firmware upgrade but said theres nothing they can do about the solarisation. I rang Samsung and they said that they won't replace it because the service guy hasn't said it's a repair problem.

Now I get a line of pixels down the middle of the screen that go from grey to red and hold onto the colour around them for a few seconds. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do.

Surely I didn't just throw $4000 away.

My PDP is connected to a HD set top box, and an LG HDD DVD Recorder I've tried these on other PDP's and they work perfectly.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Also when I spoke to Samsung they said they've never had a problem with the TV and have never had one returned, I then mentioned that there are plenty of reports of problems on this forum and the girl on the phone denied it.

By the way there is a service menu you can get into if need be to do this put the TV on standby and then point the remote at the TV and press INFO then MENU then MUTE then Power On and you will get the service menu to adjust settings on the TV.

:blink:

bb671,

In my experience with this panel, the SD material, particularly from ABC and SBS is where you'll notice solarisation..... and more so on their older material.  So if this type of solarisation problem is associated with the quality of the material being broadcast... you'll get it with any PDP I'd suspect.  I regularly notice solarisation with 7 (My Restaurant Rules is usually pretty bad), but not with 9 or 10.

You really need to get the HD digital broadcasts.  They're made for your setup and you'll then really see what it's capable of.

I also have a Pio DV373 and have no trouble with solarisation.  Although I try not to, I still look closely for it.  Mine is connected directly to the PDP with NeoTech component cables.

Cheers,

Deucer.

G'day Deucer

thanks for your thoughts. I get solarisation on all channels and DVD. i.e whenever there is skin its there, some shows are that bad its unwatchable others just bareable. Seems tabz 0000 is experiencing the same problem with his. I understand with this type of unit some solarisation is to be expected, but definately not to this extent :P

I will have a look at the service menu tonight & see what i can do, surely cant make it any worse!.

cheers

bb671

1bigtv,

For example:

- What production batches are affected? (Batches or dates will do). EDIT 22/04/05.

- What is the fix?

Regards,

Deucer.

Deucer,

- What exactly is the problem? Control of the PDP is lost via remote and front buttons on the PDP.

- What circumstances or combinations of circumstances cause the problem? Nothing specific.

- What production batches are affected? (Batches or dates will do). Was told Feb onwards. I geuss ones coming out of factory now are fixed.

- Is it a hardware change or firmware fix? Yes a firmware fix.

- Are there any other ways to avoid the problem other than by Samsungs fix? No.

Firmware took about 10mins to upload. Was something like NPL42PLEAT-1131

Does anyone know how to check the firmware version?

Regards,

1bigtv

Now I get a line of pixels down the middle of the screen that go from grey to red and hold onto the colour around them for a few seconds. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do.

Well that sounds like a warranty problem. Suggest you get the service technician back on site.

One tip to help you with solarisation is to watch the show.... not the solarisation. Might sound silly but it's true! Every PDP out there at the moment has some operational disfunction.... just read through this forum. The way you describe it, your solarisation sounds pretty bad.... but the extent of it depends on so many factors. In the end, the PDPs just the messenger that gets shot.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Well that sounds like a warranty problem.  Suggest you get the service technician back on site.

One tip to help you with solarisation is to watch the show.... not the solarisation.  Might sound silly but it's true!  Every PDP out there at the moment has some operational disfunction.... just read through this forum.  The way you describe it, your solarisation sounds pretty bad.... but the extent of it depends on so many factors.  In the end, the PDPs just the messenger that gets shot.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Deucer,

Believe me I try to watch the show and ignore the solarisation but it just gets so darn frustrating especially when you consider the amount of money spent.

tabz_0000,

What STB, cables and connections are you using? I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but I don't find much solarisation at all. I really only notice solarisation for about 20% of my viewing time (when I'm looking for it). It's only really ever on 7, ABC and SBS... and then it depends on the program. MRR on 7 is the worst I've seen. I also find that ABC and SBS are better viewed on SD than their HD channels.

I wonder if your other components are contributing to it. I'm using an LG LST4100 HD STB and standard DVI cable to the PDP. All other cables are premium Neotech and I don't get solarisation at all from DVD over component.

If you're not happy, you should discuss this with your store and send it back. But it would be a shame to throw the baby out with the bath water. You've got a good PDP there for the money you've spent. It'll never be perfect, but there might be something you can do to improve it to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

Deucer.

I got the lockup, I got the audio sync problem but far and away the biggest problem is the solarisation.

I try to ignore it but it is so obvious that its irritating especially when I see my friends TV's and they rarely have the problem.

The solarisation is evident every time the camera pans or someone moves quickly- for example watch My restaturant rules and you'll see it is almost unwatchable.

The service guys came around and did the firmware upgrade but said theres nothing they can do about the solarisation. I rang Samsung and they said that they won't replace it because the service guy hasn't said it's a repair problem.

Surely I didn't just throw $4000 away.

My PDP is connected to a HD set top box, and an LG HDD DVD Recorder I've tried these on other PDP's and they work perfectly.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do?

Also when I spoke to Samsung they said they've never had a problem with the TV and have never had one returned, I then mentioned that there are plenty of reports of problems on this forum and the girl on the phone denied it.

Hello tabz_0000

First of all, don't worry. It seems that unless you pay a great deal to get a top brand, every plasma has pros and cons, especially the lower price as manufacturer use less processing to cut cost. For the lockup problem, see how some people got it fixed. As I mentioned before in this forum, Samsung plasmas have been known (see Cnet reviews in Aust and US) for noticeable solarisation. This is more visible with moving pictures when the original souce is not HD (note that the broadcaster may scale up the souce to HD before transmission). If you watch true HD source such as Get Away, you'll see that this is very negligible. By the way, this solarisation happens only with Component /S-Video/DVI inputs. What I suspect is that the green signal is abit delayed compared to other color signals (Red,Blue) as a result of filtering inside the TV. However, if you watch DVDs from a computer via VGA input @1024x768 resolution, I'm sure this won't happen. This is because the PDP won't need to do any conversion as the input signal matches the native resolution of the panel.

If you are very a cricial viewer, a possibe solution is to consider a HTPC (home theatre PC) which can allow you to watch HDTV with brilliant pictures with no more motion artifacts. A HTPC also allows you to schedule TV recording, skip commercials, a versatile DVD recorder, ... and so much more. Just do a Google search on HTPC and you will see. At the moment, the cost of a commercial HTPC starts from 1.5k (see http://www.edutechnology.com.au/home/produ..._home/index.php ) for an example. However, you can also build one and depending on what you need, probably $800 might be enough. Note that, with a HTPC, you will no longer need a HD STB and DVD recorder. Some other people in this forum also mentioned about this.

The bottom line is: there may be some trade-off for the low price of the HD plasma if you are too cricial. However, the saving allows you to buy a HTPC box that gives you amazing viewing experience, which I bet will be equivalent to top-brand plasmas.