Samsung PS42P4H - Just Purchased

Guest spaceboy_05
ajsteel,

How do you find the remote control for the Samsung?  Seems to have a universal capability for STB, DVD, VCR, Receiver etc.  Have you put it to use yet?  Work well?

I haven't got my gear yet so curious to see what you thought of it.

Also, which stores did you and your friend find it for $4,000?

Cheers,

Decuer.

Just want to first of all say... how happy i am i found this forum!!! & and its Aussies yah! I have read a lot of the threads as I am very close to purchasing the Samsung PS42P4H too this weekend! (Stumbled into this site by punching that in google for reviews..., which are non-existent!)

I too wanted to ask... HOW/WHO did you get that $4,000 price???? !

I walked into JB-Hi (Bondi-Junction NSW) and he said "mate the best price would be $4,400 as we buy it for $4200" I would really like to know before shelling out the cash!

Also, does the brand/model of STB make any difference on PQ??, one thing that is putting me off a little is the "pixilation" and I understand that it is because the screens are too go quality compared to the source... which would be the STB or the broadcast ??

Last Q while I am on a roll, is it worth spending the extra on quality/expensive cable (i.e. monster cable) or is it just for fanatics that claim to see difference?

Sorry for all the q's, i am a newbie to it all and this forum.

Ok I lie, one more Q. for less than 5k is the PS42P4H with STB the best value???

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chrisr_aus

After playing around with my cabling this evening I have come to the conslusion that the S-VHS inputs into the PDP are not very good.. serious loss of video and audio sync. when using DVI, component and VGA not a problem.. Have not tried composite yet. So I have to work out a way to connect all my boxes for maximum effect and ease of use of the sony learning remote. I feel it will be a pain.

as previously stated I am very happy with the PDP and the Teac HD STB the total cost of the package was $4600.

If other samsung owners who have had their box set up professionaly, or have good setting could you please share them as I am having a little difficulty finding the right ones (mostly lack of time sofar.)

so thanks in advance

Chris

PS.. I will be asking samsung for a response to the sync issues

Last Q while I am on a roll, is it worth spending the extra on quality/expensive cable (i.e. monster cable) or is it just for fanatics that claim to see difference?

Sorry for all the q's, i am a newbie to it all and this forum.

Ok I lie, one more Q. for less than 5k is the PS42P4H with STB the best value???

spaceboy,

Don't worry about all the questions mate, that's what forums are for! :blink:

I'm not qualified to answer your technical questions, hopefully someone else will do that.

When it comes to value, only you can answer that question for your circumstances, but I can tell you that I came to the decision that the Samsung PS42P4H with either a Teac or LG HD STB was the best "value" I could find for under $5k. I see "value" as the optimum compromise between cost and benefit, depending on my budget. In my case, I went for the Samsung PDP with LG STB.

Spending that sort of money, any retailer should be able to throw in all the cables you need (maybe not the expensive Monsters though).

Cheers,

Deucer.

Quality cables make a big difference however I think the general consensus is that Monster is overpriced. Crest Gold and the Jaycar ones (in the presentation box) are cheaper and just (or almost) as good.

Guest Chrisr_aus

Interestingly got a response from samsung technical support at 8.01 am this morning asking me to ring a service centre and they will send someone out to rectify the problem. Will post updates when available.

Interestingly got a response from samsung technical support at 8.01 am this morning asking me to ring a service centre and they will send someone out to rectify the problem.  Will post updates when available.

Well that's a good start to a customer support relationship! :blink: Pleased to hear that! Let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Just bought my SamsungPS42P4H today with LG STB (still to be delivered so they gave me a HotChip STB to use till the LG was back in stock). Included DVI Cable and a Composite cable in the deal and then they threw in a Samsung DVD-HD747 DVD player as well! All for $4700. Putting it all together at the moment and will connect it all up tomorrow. I don't know how come they threw in the DVD player, some leftovers from a Samsung promotion the sales guy told me. Needless to say I am pleased! They said try the HotChip STB to see if I like it, if not swap to my LG STB when available for no extra cost. Which is the better STB? I think I like the LG after what I have read here. Love this thread, it helped me to decide what to buy. I believe it is a good mid range setup, you can pay heaps more than I paid but not necessarily get the improved product from what I can see. It is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' and 'how big is your bank balance?'

Sales guy said their biggest selling brand was Pioneer, people like the 5 yr guarantee and the fact they deliver and then set it all up for you. Also if you have a problem and they take the screen away for repair, Pioneer provide a replacement unit.

Thanks everyone for your input to this discussion!

My P42 all set up and going. Except for the HotChip Box, I could not get the P42 to find any signal coming from it at all anywhere. Tried DVI, Component and eventually RCA. No Signal was the ominous message from the Plasma. I reconnected my cheap SD Lennox box via RCA and Bingo! It went like a beauty but only SD of course. I will return the HotChip box in the next day or so and see if I did not hold my tongue the right way or something whilst I was connecting it.

Watched a bit of the cricket today on Fox Sports was a little disappointed in PQ but you only get out of it what goes in I suppose! Austar box is connected with RCA so might try S Video and see if that is any better. What do people think?

Guest spaceboy_05
My P42 all set up and going.  Except for the HotChip Box, I could not get the P42 to find any signal coming from it at all anywhere.  Tried DVI, Component and eventually RCA.  No Signal was the ominous message from the Plasma.  I reconnected my cheap SD Lennox box via RCA and Bingo!  It went like a beauty but only SD of course.  I will return the HotChip box in the next day or so and see if I did not hold my tongue the right way or something whilst I was connecting it. 

Watched a bit of the cricket today on Fox Sports was a little disappointed in PQ but you only get out of it what goes in I suppose!  Austar box is connected with RCA so might try S Video and see if that is any better.  What do people think?

Thomfam,

I can't help you, but i am considering making the same purchase as you... where did you get that great deal ??

From what i understand the prob is the plasma is too high qual, if the transmission (SD) is average it will look v pixilated.

I am in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast. I got $4,700 from JB Hi Fi in Brisbane and the local JB matched the price. As did The Good Guys. The extra DVD was just a sheer fluke. Lucky to be in the right place at the right time I reckon.

I have the HotChip box running now, always a good idea to read the instructions as a last resort isn't it? Akk, it does everything great, I am pleased with it. Drop me a line again if needed. I just needed to hit Menu on the HotChip remote, not the Plasma remote. It makes all the difference! We get great reception here and I can see the local Sunshine Coast towers from the front yard. I also can pick up Brisbane about 100ks away (no hills or mts in between) and we get Hi Def from both sources. There PQ is great. Minimum pixelation. The Hi Def stuff we looked at this morning was sensational!

I too have a sound sync problem from the 'old' Panasonic Home Theatre with the picture being slightly ahead of the sound. I only have RCA and S-Video connections on the Pana Home Theatre and the problem is the same with both connections. Any thoughts anyone. I need to put a delay on the PDP somehow! ........ or update the Home Theatre?

Spaceboy, the PQ via the SD Lennox STB was as you say, pretty ordinary. However the HotChip Box seems to cover the SD stations much better, I don't remember any pixelation, just a bit grainy at times but still SD stations were very watchable. Extra cost and better electrics I suppose.

Hi guys,

My parents are interested in purchasing this plasma, and it does look very nice from what I’ve seen in stores so far. I’d also have to say that this is without a doubt the sexiest looking plasma on the market from an aesthetic viewpoint. My only real concerns with this plasma are:

Solarisation (also known as false contouring, posterisation, dot smear, colour banding, dithering, "clay face syndrome" and many more!). Basically this is the inability of of plasma to render smooth colour transactions (particularly for highly detailed coloured areas such as skin tones, sunsets etc) and hence the colour breaks up into a sea of dots or chunky blocks, creating an uneven blend between the colours. I must say that I noticed this problem fairly frequently while looking at a model in store, but then again I was standing closer than usual. This problem is generally caused by plasmas that can only render 16.7 million colours (or 256 shades of grey) as opposed to more expensive plasmas such as that from NEC and Pioneer, which are capable of 68 billion colours and 4096 shades of grey.

The question is do any of you notice this solarisation problem? And if so has it detracted from your enjoyment of the plasma?

The second issue is of course the dreaded audio delay issue. From what I understand this is only a problem when using composite (RCA) or S-Video inputs. Is this correct? And how bad is the delay? The reason being that composite will be the only option for my parents to hook up their VCR (everything else will be either DVI or component).

Finally are there any other problems that any of you have noticed since owning this plasma? Or anything else I should be aware of? Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks guys!

Guest spaceboy_05

Trainspotter, great question!

I too am looking to purchase and take home the Samsung next week, and I also fear the pixilation factor from non-HD sources (eg. DVD's, Foxtel, VCR etc), obviously I don't want to come home after spending nearly $5k and my wife says, "Our old tv was better because this looks blocky and pixilated"

I would be very interested in the replies from the current owners of this.

Also i will be sitting just 2.5mtrs away, does anyone think that this will be too close ??

Thanks so much in advance, i look forward to the replies!

The sync thing was getting on my nerves so have runn all the inputs directly to the Plasma and then the monitor back to the amp. Ditched all the digital audio leads - they were less fidley but the quality difference is as much a matter of taste as anything. Good RCA plugs give a warmer sound that is fine.

So sync problems are gone.

btw it was the video lagging behind the sound.

I also had a lock up tonight where both the remote and the switches failed to work so had to power down and up again. I am writing this off to the fact that I have been switching modes etc. and it just got confused as everything with a cpu does.

Will post again if this continues.

Thanks all for your help.

Now I just need to chose a HD receiver (TEAC is looking good) and a better DVD player (Marantz DV4300 is looking good there) and that should be it for a while.

Any advice welcome.

After setting up the PS42P4H yesterday, I also had a lock up last night where both the remote and the switches failed to work, so as ajsteel did I had to power down and up again. Is this becoming a common problem? Has anyonyone else had this problem? :blink:

A little feedback from a new owner (but not an expert) of this plasma for about 4 days.

Overall I am delighted with what this screen can do. I connect my Austar via S-Video and I find the quality to be pretty good. The AFL yesterday was great to watch. There is some problem with grass on the oval looking a bit blotchy during fast close ups and the crowd in the background during fast movement does tend to become hard to distinguish. However the overall effect of watching AFL (or any fast moving sport) is fantastic. Austar has been described by others as less than SD. The quality of the vision on Austar depends on which channel you are watching. But then the Russian News on SBS can be pretty ordinary quality vision too. The picture quality is only as good as what you put into it.

We are in a regional area and I can receive coverage from local FTA stations as well as from the state capital. If you look closely at the regional newscast in HD (and newscaster) you can see some of the 'clay face' very occasionally. However when viewing the state capital newscast this does not occur. The regional signal comes from 20k's away and the Capital City signal comes from 100+K away. The capital city newscaster is certainly older than I first thought she was very noticeable under Hi Def.

Yesterday's AFL in HD was certainly sensational to watch when when compared with my previous CRT Panasonic TV.

I too am experiencing the 'audio' delay only with my DVD when trying to play via my home theatre. I have not noticed the same delay when watching DVD with audio from the plasma. I am looking to update the DVD watching by purchasing an amp which has an adjustable delay and a DVD player. My experience is the sound via the audio out from the screen to the home theatre is ahead of the vision. This problem is greater when totally bypassing the screen and running directly from the Home Theatre.

VCR watching is fine too but again there is the problem of picture quality running from a VHS tape. Poor input will supply disappointing output! I don't use my VCR the same way now as I used to previously when the VCR was the hub of how everything was connected to the screen. Now the screen is the hub.

I sit under 3 metres from the screen and tend to duck a little when the pack comes towards me. It is OK.

The only problem when I really noticed something, was on Friday night when watching some sport. After a try (my AFL team was getting a belting so I switched over to the NRL in HD) the camera had a medium range shot of the crowd waving their flags. This became highly pixelated and I was glad when the shot switched to something else. I currently have a HotChip box awaiting my LG Hi Def box. Perhaps the quality of the STB will impact on this problem. Remember too cost wise the Samsung is a lower mid range unit. If money is no problem, spend the extra but whether or not this solves all problems I don't know. You get what you pay for. But be sure that if spending (I am guessing here) under $7000 for high quality screen and box will the result be 50% better?

Also remember that if the screen does not do what you want it to do, you can return it to the shop in under 7 days. I was told this by Samsung when investigating delay via the Home Theatre. Though I would hate to have to put it back into the box and pack it up again!

Negative: The remote does not have a Back function to enable you to easily switch between "Sources". Only a 12 month warranty.

Overall, in my opinion, this Samsung appears to be very good value for money. My old telly (a Panasonic) cost me about $1600. The new one all up (with STB) cost me about $4700. I am not convinced the picture is 3 times better than the the Panasonic. But the Samsung Plasma (or any plasma I guess) makes watching TV very very good. As someone else said here somewhere, it now makes watching FTA TV much more enjoyable. As CRT has its advantages so too does LCD and Plasma. Both these latter technologies do have some disadvantages too when compared on a value for money basis.

Going to watch the golf now on HD, hope this has been some help!

A little feedback from a new owner (but not an expert) of this plasma for about 4 days. 

Overall I am delighted with what this screen can do.  I connect my Austar via S-Video and I find the quality to be pretty good.  The AFL yesterday was great to watch.  There is some problem with grass on the oval looking a bit blotchy during fast close ups and the crowd in the background during fast movement does tend to become hard to distinguish.  However the overall effect of watching AFL (or any fast moving sport) is fantastic.  Austar has been described by others as less than SD. The quality of the vision on Austar depends on which channel you are watching.  But then the Russian News on SBS can be pretty ordinary quality vision too.  The picture quality is only as good as what you put into it.

We are in a regional area and I can receive coverage from local FTA stations as well as from the state capital.  If you look closely at the regional newscast in HD (and newscaster) you can see some of the 'clay face' very occasionally.  However when viewing the state capital newscast this does not occur.  The regional signal comes from 20k's away and the Capital City signal comes from 100+K away.  The capital city newscaster is certainly older than I first thought she was very noticeable under Hi Def.

Yesterday's  AFL in HD was certainly sensational to watch when when compared with my previous CRT Panasonic TV.

I too am experiencing the 'audio' delay only with my DVD when trying to play via my home theatre.  I have not noticed the same delay when watching DVD with audio from the plasma.  I am looking to update the DVD watching by purchasing an amp which has an adjustable delay and a DVD player.  My experience is the sound via the audio out from the screen to the home theatre is ahead of the vision.  This problem is greater when totally bypassing the screen and running directly from the Home Theatre.

VCR watching is fine too but again there is the problem of picture quality running from a VHS tape.  Poor input will supply disappointing output!  I don't use my VCR the same way now as I used to previously when the VCR was the hub of how everything was connected to the screen.  Now the screen is the hub.

I sit under 3 metres from the screen and tend to duck a little when the pack comes towards me.  It is OK. 

The only problem when I really noticed something, was on Friday night when watching some sport.  After a try (my AFL team was getting a belting so I switched over to the NRL in HD) the camera had a medium range shot of the crowd waving their flags.  This became highly pixelated and I was glad when the shot switched to something else.  I currently have a HotChip box awaiting my LG Hi Def box.  Perhaps the quality of the STB will impact on this problem.  Remember too cost wise the Samsung is a lower mid range unit.  If money is no problem, spend the extra but whether or not this solves all problems I don't know.  You get what you pay for.  But be sure that if spending (I am guessing here) under $7000 for high quality screen and box will the result be 50% better?

Also remember that if the screen does not do what you want it to do, you can return it to the shop in under 7 days.  I was told this by Samsung when investigating delay via the Home Theatre.  Though I would hate to have to put it back into the box and pack it up again!

Negative:  The remote does not have a Back function to enable you to easily switch between "Sources".  Only a 12 month warranty.

Overall, in my opinion, this Samsung appears to be very good value for money.  My old telly (a Panasonic) cost me about $1600.  The new one all up (with STB) cost me about $4700.  I am not convinced the picture is 3 times better than the the Panasonic.  But the Samsung Plasma (or any plasma I guess) makes watching TV very very good.  As someone else said here somewhere, it now makes watching FTA TV much more enjoyable.  As CRT has its advantages so too does LCD and Plasma.  Both these latter technologies do have some disadvantages too when compared on a value for money basis. 

Going to watch the golf now on HD, hope this has been some help!

:blink: It actually has a 24 month warranty. I have had my unit now for 5 months and am extremely happy with it. I rate it's picture int he same league as what you would refer to as 'high end' models. I was going to get a Hitachi, but rated this one better...(maybe it's my families eye's going from what I have read here???LOL!)

Guest spaceboy_05

Ok,

I think i have made my decision (for any one who is just started their research) like many others have said in this forum (over various threads)

Simply the Samsung is the best 42" HD plasma for the money/picture qual ratio. I just spent an hour in Harvey Norman today (poor salesperson) armed with 3 DVD's (one with lots of low/dark light, one fast movement and one with lots of colours) as well as my laptop (to test the 1024x768) as i wanted to see how my PC would show pictures, windows xp in genarl, and movie playback - as i make my own movies (and don't tell anyone but download movies as well).

I must say straight up, there is simply no avoiding the slight pixilation on plasmas or LCD's (the latter being the worst), no matter how good HD input their seems to be blocky moments or backgrounds esp with crowds of people that just simply looks pixilated. However, that is also standing 1mtr away from the screen.... and the pq is a lot better at the 3mtr mark.

There is no doubting the Pioneer and Hitachi colours and depth (esp the blacks and all the shades of grey they can do) make these a better panel than the Samsung... but I can now get the Samsung with the LG HD set-top-box (the only one with DVI output) for $4600 or I pay$7k for the Pioneer, for in my opinion for just 10-15% better pq. If you got money to burn go for it, but for well under $5k the Samsung setup is unbeatable.

I was actually very happy with the Samsungs playback of my DVDs (being SD... can't wait for HD DVD's) and amazingly impressed when i plugged my laptop in... All my pictures had such amazing depth and vibrant colour (on standard mode) movie playback (some downloaded Lost HD episodes) looked better than any FTA HD broadcast!!!!... faultless, not one pixel!

Therefore, my conclusion is I will be picking the Samsung with LG STB next week!

Thanks Cyborg. I had another look at the Warranty Info and great, yes a 2 year warranty on Plasma screens. I had only got as far as "Televisions" and saw they have the 12 mth warranty. My pixelation probs have both been when watching Channel 9 Hi Def out of Brisbane, NRL on Friday night and then AFL on Sunday PM. I am 100ks north of Brisbane so possibly a signal problem at times?

Guest sands88
The sync thing was getting on my nerves so have runn all the inputs directly to the Plasma and then the monitor back to the amp. Ditched all the digital audio leads - they were less fidley but the quality difference is as much a matter of taste as anything. Good RCA plugs give a warmer sound that is fine.

I also had a lock up tonight where both the remote and the switches failed to work so had to power down and up again. I am writing this off to the fact that I have been switching modes etc. and it just got confused as everything with a cpu does.

Now I just need to chose a HD receiver (TEAC is looking good) and a better DVD player (Marantz DV4300 is looking good there) and that should be it for a while.

Any advice welcome.

After setting up the PS42P4H yesterday, I also had a lock up last night where both the remote and the switches failed to work, so as ajsteel did I had to power down and up again. Is this becoming a common problem? Has anyonyone else had this problem? :blink:

Guest sands88

Any advice welcome.

Hi,

I've recently brought this plasma when shopping for a new tv, this is the best looking plasma on the market in my opinion. Not long after it locked up where the remote and the front control panel would not respond at all, the only thing I could do was reset the tv by removing power.

I'm now on my third replacement plasma tv since having the first two replaced in under one month for locking up constantly. Is there a fix anyone has heard of ?

I'm now quite angry and would like to know if this is a common problem ?

Any advice welcome.

After setting up the PS42P4H yesterday, I also had a lock up last night where both the remote and the switches failed to work, so as ajsteel did I had to power down and up again. Is this becoming a common problem? Has anyonyone else had this problem? :P

Hi,

I've recently brought this plasma when shopping for a new tv, this is the best looking plasma on the market in my opinion. Not long after it locked up where the remote and the front control panel would not respond at all, the only thing I could do was reset the tv by removing power.

I'm now on my third replacement plasma tv since having the first two replaced in under one month for locking up constantly. Is there a fix anyone has heard of ?

Called Samsung on 1300362603. They are well aware of the problem with the PS42P4H. They advised to power off PDP at the powerpoint for 4+ hours then back on. They said they had technicians in the country from OS working on the problem and would call me back when a fix had been found. Bloody hell, I research for ages for the best PDP and then I choose a dud! :blink:

Any advice welcome.

After setting up the PS42P4H yesterday, I also had a lock up last night where both the remote and the switches failed to work, so as ajsteel did I had to power down and up again. Is this becoming a common problem? Has anyonyone else had this problem? :P

Hi,

Called Samsung on 1300362603. They are well aware of the problem with the PS42P4H. They advised to power off PDP at the powerpoint for 4+ hours then back on. They said they had technicians in the country from OS working on the problem and would call me back when a fix had been found. Bloody hell, I research for ages for the best PDP and then I choose a dud! :blink:

Dude sent it back for a full refund

Well the bright side is they're working on it and not just letting the customer lose out! :P