Samsung PS42P4H - Just Purchased

:blink: I just had the Samsung PS42P4H delivered on Saturday and though I would pass on my first impressions.

I got it for $4000.00 in the end with stand & speakers.

Then spend another $200 on the wallmount.

The main competition for this display that I saw for a similar price was the Sony which is also 1024 x 780 and I thought this one had the better picture quality.

I will also comment that my current picture quality is much better that it was in the shop.

The first thing I noticed about owning a plasma is that I now have more questions about formats / resolutions etc. than you can imagine. My screen chops from 4:3 Leaving black either side to a nice full screen of 16:9 then to what looks like a mini 16:9 ratio image that has borders top and sides.

So LOTR on a reasonable DVD Player with good cables is unbelievably good. I have also watched Alien V Preditor and Tears of the Sun and can say that both are also incredible. This is what I bought a Plasma for. AWESOME.

There may be better screens out there but this one is just fine and was the right price.

The next negative was the DNIe system which seemed to degrade the quality of the DVD's making everyone look like the powder man in the make up room went mad. I had read this on another review so I turned it off and carried on not too disapointed.

I regularly try it out with different scenes and this is what it seems to do.

Football is different. The DNIe system improves the quality of football broadcasts significantly.

Gameshows and News are no different because I think the man with the powder did go mad.

So from three days of observation I would say turn it on for crap quality and off for the DVDs etc.

I have also noticed some sound sync problems. I have not worked this one out yet unless it is just that I can see peoples lips move more obviously now and I am noticing a detail that has always been there. This is mostly with DTV and there are some adjustments on the receiver (so I have been told).

Any comment welcome.

I have a no name (thompson components) SD set top box and am thinking about upgrading but am not sure if it is worth it for the limited content that is in HD.

So in summary I can say that I am a happy camper and this is a good piece of gear. Maybe if I was going to spend 6k or 8k I could have got more but that is 50% and 100% more. I don't think anything I could have got would be 50% or 100% better.

And although not really relevant, aesthetically this screen sh... on the vast majority of others. I hate cheap silver plastic.

Also a black surround enhances the picture but is avoided by plasma manufacturers because I think it also shows up one of the weaknesses of the produce which is the lack of a real black (although more black than the green of the LCDs). The benefit - when your screen is full of high quality image over the lack of black when watching a 4:3 image makes the not obviously black surround of the 4:3 image unimportant.

One last comment - don't buy the biggest screen you can afford - I was very tempted by the 127cm Samsung (for about 1k more) in the shop, and it would have looked rediculous in my home.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a black surround enhances the picture but is avoided by plasma manufacturers because I think it also shows up one of the weaknesses of the produce which is the lack of a real black (although more black than the green of the LCDs). The benefit - when your screen is full of high quality image over the lack of black when watching a 4:3 image makes the not obviously black surround of the 4:3 image unimportant.

Yeh funny how some screens haven't gone with a black border yet, I suspect its as you say, a black border may show up the lack of real black in their panels... My JVC has a black boarder and I don't see problems with the black displayed by the panel.

Good to hear your happy with your purchase... it was a relief when I got mine home and setup and thought, **** yeah I am happy with that!!

To answer your aspect ratio question.....

When the brodcast material is 16:9 it will fill the whole screen.

When the broadcast material is 4:3 you will get the black bars either side of the image. If you don't like this you can strech the image with the screen's aspect ratio controls (distorts the image, short fat people) or use the zoom function (clips the top and bottom of the image and reduces picture quality). Personally the bars either side don't bother me.

You get the "mini 16:9" when advertisers cheat!

When 16:9 material is broadcast on analogue, the broadcasters will sometimes send the full image with black bars top and bottom. Advertisers recognise that people like this and think it's 'upmarket' so take a standard 4:3 add and 'instal' black bars top and bottom to make it look more expensive..........

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you get lots of great viewing from it!

I would suggest that you upgrade your STB to a HD unit with DVI output and you will notice a big difference in PQ, even on SD material, (I assume that you are currently using component?)

Also seriously consider a PVR, you will know what I mean the first time you watch a show recorded on a VCR :blink:

Cheers,

Peter

Guest KennyMan

Hi ajsteel,

Congratulations on purchasing the Samsung PS42P4H...

You mentioned about a resonable player playing LOTR. May I know if you've a progressive scan dvd player? Do you use component cable for this DVD player?

I am also looking to get a decent plasma. I currently have a non-progressive Pioneer DVD player (DV-555K) using component cable out to my LG 68cm television.

Thanks.

KennyMan

Thanks for the reedback re aspect ratios. It's starting to make sense.

The DVD recorder i have is a Tevion MD40741 - I think it has progressive scan.

I get no joy from the component output so I am using S-Video which is surprisingly good. I have searched the menu system for a settting to activate it but can't see one. The manual says not to use S-Video and CComponent at the same time which I do not and it still makes no differenct. The Samsung puts a blue screen over any signal it considers too weak. This can be disabled but wheather this is worth it remains to be seen.

All my peviously recorded DVDs are in 4:3 so not so hot now.

Have got most things working well with the notable exception of the Optus Cable TV box which is just average quality. Also can't find a setting to make it default to 16:9 instead of 4:3. So lots of short fat people.

Is Foxtel / Foxtel Digital better. I know telstra / foxtel cable internet sucks in comparison to Optus and I won't change that for the world so I will lose any bundling bonus which means I would really need to justify the cost with a big (and consistant) gain in quality accross all chanels - movies, cartoon (Disney is the most watched service) & sport.

Thanks.

I have the same unit but connected to a TEAC DVB800 HD STB connected via DVI, and Pioneer Theatre System on progressive scan via component cables. The picture is unbelievable and I have none of the problems you mention, though I did have the sync problems with the DVD system due to me setting it up wrongly.

I originally had a cheapy Samsung SD set top box attached and like you was not happy with the picture. I returned this and for about $100 more I got the TEAC and have never looked back, the difference was amazing. Why spend $4000 on a HD plasma then skimp on the STB and not use the display to it's full potential. There is more and more HD broadcasts on commercial TV - most of the popular shows + news.

I have the DNIE continually turned on and do not notice what you see. MAybe your settings are wrong.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with this plasma. I have had it for 4 months now and have not regretted it for one minute (other than the price getting cheaper since I bought it!).

The DVD recorder i have is a Tevion MD40741 - I think it has progressive scan.

I get no joy from the component output so I am using S-Video which is surprisingly good. I have searched the menu system for a settting to activate it but can't see one. The manual says not to use S-Video and CComponent at the same time which I do not and it still makes no differenct. The Samsung puts a blue screen over any signal it considers too weak. This can be disabled but wheather this is worth it remains to be seen.

Am I right to understand that you mean you cannot get component output to work and that you cannot find on the menu on how to activate component output? If so, I have a Sony Recorder that gave me the same problem, originally. Then I found out the I need to activate the 'Initial Setup' in order to activate component. In other words, you need to get the menu which comes up just like when you first power up the dvd player. Anyway, it could be the same with your player so worth checking it out.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help the, after a factory reset from the setup menu I was able to get the Tevion MD40741 component output to work. Although there was no specific setting in the initialisation it is obviously just which ever one you use first is the default.

Anyone looking for info on this DVD Recorder try http://www.area450.com/recorders/r5.html

I only just found it and it is a good site.

Borrowed a HD receiver tonight and was quite impressed - not enough to part with the $ as yet but it was an insight. I tried the NEC and will check out others in the near future.

Had a good look at Foxtel Digital and gather that this is still not SD digital so will stick with Optus - better the devil you know. They are upgrading in the next year, they say (well the man that just replaced my receiver), so maybe they will make it all the way to SD.

Am now a fan of Free to Air Again. I remember when the best picture I could get was on cable and now it is my worst. LOL.

Still have odd lipsync problems but now with DVD. Cyborg if you read this how is your DVD set up. I am taking the digital audio to the AMP and the component out to the Plasma.

I can't run the comp. out through the Amp as only has composite or S-Video.

Plasma has no digital audio.

Could run RCA to the Plasma and RCA monitor back to the amp.

This plasma has more inputs than my amp so should I just run it all through the Plasma and monitor back? This means I lose my digital audio links which until now I have been quite keen on.

Comments welcome.

And thanks again for the help.

Still have odd lipsync problems but now with DVD. Cyborg if you read this how is your DVD set up. I am taking the digital audio to the AMP and the component out to the Plasma.

This plasma has more inputs than my amp so should I just run it all through the Plasma and monitor back?  This means I lose my digital audio links which until now I have been quite keen on.

ajsteel,

I haven't picked up my Samsung yet but really looking foward to receiving it! I have planned all the interconnects though and one of the great things about this plasma is the array of inputs.

On multiple occassions I've been told to run your inputs directly from source to receiver. On the Samsung that's easy! So the best setup for your DVD would be component from DVD to plasma and digital audio from DVD to amp (which I think is what you said you've got). If you're getting sync problems with that setup, I'd suggest the amp or DVD's the culprit..... I'm assuming the voice is lagging the vision? And that you're not using the speakers on the Samsung?

Cheers,

Deucer.

Thanks for the help the, after a factory reset from the setup menu I was able to get the Tevion MD40741 component output to work. Although there was no specific setting in the initialisation it is obviously just which ever one you use first is the default.

Anyone looking for info on this DVD Recorder try http://www.area450.com/recorders/r5.html

I only just found it and it is a good site.

Borrowed a HD receiver tonight and was quite impressed - not enough to part with the $ as yet but it was an insight. I tried the NEC and will check out others in the near future.

Had a good look at Foxtel Digital and gather that this is still not SD digital so will stick with Optus - better the devil you know. They are upgrading in the next year, they say (well the man that just replaced my receiver), so maybe they will make it all the way to SD.

Am now a fan of Free to Air Again. I remember when the best picture I could get was on cable and now it is my worst. LOL.

This plasma has more inputs than my amp so should I just run it all through the Plasma and monitor back?  This means I lose my digital audio links which until now I have been quite keen on.

Comments welcome.

And thanks again for the help.

Does your amp have any "Speaker Distance" settings?

If so, then you should run digital audio direct to the amp and video direct to the panel ... then set your speaker distances appropriately in the amp to get the audio in synch with the video.

If the amp has no adjustments for 'speaker distance' or 'AV delay', then you will have to run analogue stereo to the panel then monitor-out back to the amp ... because the panel will have a default speaker distance delay in its audio processing that will probably be close enough to your seating distance.

The sync thing was getting on my nerves so have runn all the inputs directly to the Plasma and then the monitor back to the amp. Ditched all the digital audio leads - they were less fidley but the quality difference is as much a matter of taste as anything. Good RCA plugs give a warmer sound that is fine.

So sync problems are gone.

btw it was the video lagging behind the sound.

I also had a lock up tonight where both the remote and the switches failed to work so had to power down and up again. I am writing this off to the fact that I have been switching modes etc. and it just got confused as everything with a cpu does.

Will post again if this continues.

Thanks all for your help.

Now I just need to chose a HD receiver (TEAC is looking good) and a better DVD player (Marantz DV4300 is looking good there) and that should be it for a while.

Any advice welcome.

Just a quick question for those with this panel.

What are the speakers like?

For those with a current surround sound system... do you still use the speakers (and if so how do you integrate them?) or do you just leave them turned down or off (if that is possible?)

ajsteel,

How do you find the remote control for the Samsung? Seems to have a universal capability for STB, DVD, VCR, Receiver etc. Have you put it to use yet? Work well?

I haven't got my gear yet so curious to see what you thought of it.

Also, which stores did you and your friend find it for $4,000?

Cheers,

Decuer.

Just a quick question for those with this panel.

What are the speakers like?

For those with a current surround sound system... do you still use the speakers (and if so how do you integrate them?) or do you just leave them turned down or off (if that is possible?)

:blink: The speakers are excellent, 10 of them and quality JBL ones at that. I always use them for TV and only use the surround system when I play DVDs.

I love the speakers I used them for stand alone and then wired them for centre speaker which was also good but miss the stand alone mode - you know always having the amp on can get annoying so am going back to stand alone.

The sound is great - I started listening to an album whilst in a centre biased surround setup and was surprised at how good they were.

There are speaker connectors on the rear of the screen and speaker wires supplied so you just wire them direct.

OR

Run the centre chanel out from the amp - either two wires or split it and connect it to both speakers.

They are rated at 15w RMS so you cant exacctly ppump them up too much. But that is pretty safe for surround unless you like it really loud. Just switch to stereo for music which is substantially better in any case.

The remote is not as universal as it sounds. If you have brand name components then the codes are supplied otherwise it can be a bit of a guess. I got my cable and VCR working not my DVD recorder or Player. There are codes for CABLE / DVD / VCR not STB although you can select this in the menu - odd. I havn't bothered researching this yet but they may be standard or on the net or sometning. Maybe if you know the real manufacturer of many items you could guess.

I solved the audio delay but run everything directly to the tv and monitor back to the stereo. This actually gives a better quality video signal as well.

Tried a marantz DVD - DV4300 over the weekend and loved the picture on it. Sound is great too. The only problem with almost every brand name is a lack of support for all the odd formats like DVD+ DIVX etc. and crap MP3 support. I think I will always have to reserve a place for my $50.00 Strathfield Car Radio XMS DVD Player - playes everything and does karaoke. LOL.

Have played with settings a lot more and now have the DNIe on most of the time - it is either an improvement or not but very rarely a degredation.

Still love this plasma.

Guest Chrisr_aus

I bought this display at Myer the other day for $4300. In general I am very pleased the the unit except for some of the scaling of picture from 4:3 to widescreen and then the grey bars on the sides of the image when playing back DVDs in 4:#.

I also have problems with sync between voice and vision. In my setup I have video feeds direct to the Plasma as follow

Teac HD STB - DVI

DVD via amplifier - SVHS

Strong SD STB - SVHS

VCR via amplifier - SVHS

All audio feeds are directly to the amplifier using Digital fibre SPDIF except for VCR. I have yet to try changing the speaker delays in my sony amp but given the setup works perfectly well for both CRT and LCD panels I have tried is this a problem with the Samsung?

The supplied JBL speakers work well with the TV but I would not replace my existing centre with them due to the power handling capability. But as a standalone TV they are way above average.

Thoughts please.

The remote is not as universal as it sounds. If you have brand name components then the codes are supplied otherwise it can be a bit of a guess. I got my cable and VCR working not my DVD recorder or Player. There are codes for CABLE / DVD / VCR not STB although you can select this in the menu - odd. I havn't bothered researching this yet but they may be standard or on the net or sometning. Maybe if you know the real manufacturer of many items you could guess.

Bugger! Just checked the owners manual.... no codes for STB. I might email Samsung and see if I can get codes for my LG STB.

I solved the audio delay but run everything directly to the tv and monitor back to the stereo. This actually gives a better quality video signal as well.

RE: Audio delay.... didn't you say it was the vision that was delayed? Either way, did you solve it before wiring direct to the PDP and then monitor out to the amp? Or was that the only way you solved it?

Tried a marantz DVD - DV4300 over the weekend and loved the picture on it. Sound is great too. The only problem with almost every brand name is a lack of support for all the odd formats like DVD+ DIVX etc. and crap MP3 support. I think I will always have to reserve a place for my $50.00 Strathfield Car Radio XMS DVD Player - playes everything and does karaoke. LOL.

Consider picking up a Pioneer 373 or 676A DVD. They're both very good and can be had for less than $200. I think the 676A does DVD+

Still love this plasma.

Good to hear!

Cheers,

Deucer.

I also have problems with sync between voice and vision.  In my setup I have video feeds direct to the Plasma as follow

Teac HD STB  - DVI

DVD via amplifier - SVHS

Strong SD STB - SVHS

VCR via amplifier - SVHS

All audio feeds are directly to the amplifier using Digital fibre SPDIF except for VCR.

Chris,

You're the second person with this problem. ajsteel found the fix to be to wire audio and vision to the panel and then monitor back out to the amp. But it'd be preferred to wire direct.

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

(1) Which was delayed in your case, video or audio?

(2) Do you experience the same problem with both STBs, DVD and VCR?

(3) Can you clarify? Have you wired the vision for DVD and VCR direct to PDP or by S-VHS to amplifier then S-VHS to PDP?

Cheers,

Deucer

Guest Chrisr_aus

In responding to the following questions please see each point

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

(1) Which was delayed in your case, video or audio?

Video was behind audio

(2) Do you experience the same problem with both STBs, DVD and VCR?

No issue with HD STB using DVI to pdp for vision and TOS Link to amplifier for audio

LD STB issues

VCR issues

DVD major issues

Will try some timings tonight and play around with the amp speaker delays but I am concerned that it works well with the HD STB now that I may fix one problem to start another. And unfortunately I do have a preference to use digital audio for DTS etc.

(3) Can you clarify? Have you wired the vision for DVD and VCR direct to PDP or by S-VHS to amplifier then S-VHS to PDP?

Both DVD and VCR are connected to the amp via SVHS then using amps SHVS output is connected to PDP. AMP does not have enough SVHS ports to allow all inputs required to be connected to it.

chris

Thanks Chris,

So your video lags the audio..... and to recap... The problem is only for LD STB, DVD and VCR.

- LDSTB is connected directly to PDP by SVHS.

- DVD and VCR are connected by SVHS via the amp.

- Where HD STB is connected directly to PDP, and HDSTB audio vie TOS Link to amp, you have no problem.

There's somewhat of a common thread there.... Your SVHS connections. Have you tried component?

Will be interesting to see if you can eliminate the problem by connecting the DVD, for example, directly to PDP via component and Digital audio to amp (if it has the outputs available). OR... adjusting audio delay on the amp.

I'm getting all my gear on the weekend so I'm interested in how you go with this.

Regards,

Deucer.