Sony's gone mad!

13PFM42X1STD

SONY 42" PFM42X1 HIGH RESOLUTION SLIM LINE PLASMA SCREEN

- SILVER - W/ TABLE STAND & SPEAKERS

$3750.00 ex GST

Hi

A friend i met at last years Star Trek Convention wants to know how

many Pixels aren't working((showing black ('bleck')) when a 4:3 image is shown on the above Panel. ?

Lets Move On.

Basil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what your trying to say is its better to pay an extra $1000 on the 'odd' chance you may need to claim warranty... thats just ridiculous....

No, I didn't say that at all???? Can you show me where?

well it seems you were trying to convince him that its better to buy the official device as it comes with warranty.. which would probably cost around $1000 more..

personally i think buying because of warranty is a waste.. i'm sure if the board or something went bang in 6-12 months time then it could cost cheaper than $1000 to fix...

and most likely NOTHING will happen and all will be fine.. so why waste the extra money...

Hi Dexter
I agree and accept this but we are not considering $10K Plus screens, we arelooking at low cost HD Plasmas

But these native HD entrant.

Do you not understand that scaler internally on these models cuts in and often spoils the HD delivered experience?

I personnaly would not be recommending this route for buying these displays.

I would be recommending only digital high band /analog high band delivered to the high band inputs to appreciate the potiental of this display.

For your own benefit this will avoid complaints about 'clay faces', solarization, inferior SD/HD DTV experience, poor DVD playback (non-progressive) etc etc.

All this is acheivable by matching appropiate STB's and DVD players to these types of displays.

DA

------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice above... can you help further.... what connections do you recommend with this panel for STB and DVD player? I haven't bought the panel yet but seems like a good deal although I do want to use it for home theatre.

If I understand correctly you are saying multiple cables should be run directly from the source to the screen, not via receiver??? Just putting my system together so please excuse ignorant questions. Currently have Harman Kardon AVR630 and DVD31 but yet to buy HD STB (thinking about TEAC)....

Cheers

well it seems you were trying to convince him that its better to buy the official device as it comes with warranty.. which would probably cost around $1000 more..

NO - I didn't bloody well say that at all.

I spelt out the differences between grey market and "official" products but did not express an opinion either way.

Stop putting your own interpretations in other peoples mouths.

NO - I didn't bloody well say that at all.

I spelt out the differences between grey market and "official" products but did not express an opinion either way.

Stop putting your own interpretations in other peoples mouths.

good call.. yeah i hear ya...

seems grey market at the cheaper price is a heaps better option to follow if it means an incredibly cheaper price though...

George,

Well is that a THREAT I see before me!!??!!  :blink:

Drop it dude, you're carrying on like a pork chop.

Already been "dropped" offshore! George has not come back to sell his wares in this thread..... Bluff called!

But FYI, defamation's a serious issue that can cost you much more than you're willing to forego...... You don't just throw threats like that around on a friendly forum when they're not warranted.... especially when you're apparent underlying intention is to peddle your wares!

End of story.

Cheers,

Deucer.

Hi Dexter
I agree and accept this but we are not considering $10K Plus screens, we arelooking at low cost HD Plasmas

But these native HD entrant.

Do you not understand that scaler internally on these models cuts in and often spoils the HD delivered experience?

I personnaly would not be recommending this route for buying these displays.

I would be recommending only digital high band /analog high band delivered to the high band inputs to appreciate the potiental of this display.

For your own benefit this will avoid complaints about 'clay faces', solarization, inferior SD/HD DTV experience, poor DVD playback (non-progressive) etc etc.

All this is acheivable by matching appropiate STB's and DVD players to these types of displays.

DA

------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice above... can you help further.... what connections do you recommend with this panel for STB and DVD player? I haven't bought the panel yet but seems like a good deal although I do want to use it for home theatre.

If I understand correctly you are saying multiple cables should be run directly from the source to the screen, not via receiver??? Just putting my system together so please excuse ignorant questions. Currently have Harman Kardon AVR630 and DVD31 but yet to buy HD STB (thinking about TEAC)....

Cheers

I would say the following:

Go for DVI from STB - that is purchase one with DVI output.

Go for HIGH Band progressive component output with DVD player.

Find what's best - IF DVD player has DVI try it. If HD STB has good upscaling via Component High Band try.

Foxtel Cable - go for S-video as minimum. Don't waste Foxtel on component if your got Foxtel that is. Get a very good dual cabled S-Video connector. Around $40.

Cables DVI - HDMI or DVI both ends around $30 to $50.00

Component cables - good ones can be purchased for around $50 to $60.

DA

Hi guys,

I’ve just purchased one of these panels with tabletop stand and speakers for $4299 from Pluscorp Australia (www.pluscorp.com.au). I know this is a little more than from the Melbourne store listed at the beginning of the this thread but frankly I’m prepared to pay more to buy from a store I know and trust (I’m not saying the store in question isn’t a good one, I’m just not personally familiar with it).

I can confirm that these are Sony panels as sold by Sony Australia, and come with a genuine Australian warranty (with the option to extend to 3 years for $514).

The only gripe I have with this panel is the same as everyone else, the lack of inputs is a bit of a joke. Looks like I’m going to have to buy a component->VGA cable to connect my progressive scan DVD player and a composite RCA->BNC cable. HD STB will have to be connected via DVI, but I was planning to go this way anyway so that doesn’t bother me.

Can someone please recommend a good online store where I can purchase these types of cables from? Regualr AV stores don’t seem to have them. The BNC adapter is easy enough, but I'm having trouble finding a decent component->DSUB15 cable (keep in mind this a regular component->VGA breakout cable, where the raw component signal is sent over the VGA pins, not one that has to actually transcode/convert a component signal to RGBHV).

Any cable recommendations would be most appreciated!

By the way I’ve spent months evaluating quite large range of 1024x768 plasmas from Fujitsu, Hitachi NEC and Pioneer Pro to name a few. While I believe Pioneer and Hitachi to have the best overall pictures from what I’ve seen, the Sony comes extremely close, and considering the difference in cost between them (thousands of dollars with this latest price drop) the Sony is an absolute bargain IMHO.

Guys I dont want to be a wet blanket here but the DVI connection on the PFM42X1 doesnt work real well, mine went back over a year ago.

Eek! Don’t tell me that Angelo! Can you please explain in detail what the problem with the DVI input was? I was assured the DVI input would work fine for HT applications (particularly as it's HDCP compliant) so I didn't even consider that I’d have problems with it.

DVI issues aside, given that from what I’ve read you've owned a large range of TVs and panels, what is you overall opinion of the PFM42X1? Do you believe it’s a decent HD panel for the price it's currently going for? (and please be nice with your comments as I’ve just bought one :blink: )

Guys I dont want to be a wet blanket here but the DVI connection on the PFM42X1 doesnt work real well, mine went back over a year ago.

Eek! Don’t tell me that Angelo! Can you please explain in detail what the problem with the DVI input was? I was assured the DVI input would work fine for HT applications (particularly as it's HDCP compliant) so I didn't even consider that I’d have problems with it.

DVI issues aside, given that from what I’ve read you've owned a large range of TVs and panels, what is you overall opinion of the PFM42X1? Do you believe it’s a decent HD panel for the price it's currently going for? (and please be nice with your comments as I’ve just bought one :blink: )

Oops dont ya hate it when someone does that.

With a HDSTB via DVI it used to crop a upconvertered picture eg . watching the FOOTY SHOW AFL on Ch90 . It would leave 10mm black bars either side of the picture.

Sony said the DVI on this panel was only meant for PC work only .

With a HDSTB via DVI it used to crop  a upconvertered picture eg . watching the FOOTY SHOW AFL on Ch90 . It would leave 10mm black bars either side of the picture.

Damn. I didn't want to know that! :P Is there any way to reduce or remove the border? (I'm guessing not or I guess you would have done that!).

Also you mentioned it did this with up-converted HD. Did it also have this border for natvie 1080i broadcasts?

And you didn't answer this part :blink: -->

"what is you overall opinion of the PFM42X1? Do you believe it’s a decent HD panel for the price it's currently going for? (and please be nice with your comments as I’ve just bought one)"

Just interested in your overall opinion of the panel (DVI issues aside). Particularly when displaying true HD broadcasts (not up-converted) as I'm yet to see it in action with HD.

Thanks again for your help Angelo.

With a HDSTB via DVI it used to crop  a upconvertered picture eg . watching the FOOTY SHOW AFL on Ch90 . It would leave 10mm black bars either side of the picture.

Damn. I didn't want to know that! :P Is there any way to reduce or remove the border? (I'm guessing not or I guess you would have done that!).=NO

Also you mentioned it did this with up-converted HD. Did it also have this border for natvie 1080i broadcasts?=no only upconverted material

And you didn't answer this part :blink: -->

"what is you overall opinion of the PFM42X1? Do you believe it’s a decent HD panel for the price it's currently going for? (and please be nice with your comments as I’ve just bought one)"= If it didnt have the problem with its DVI I would still have it now

Just interested in your overall opinion of the panel (DVI issues aside). Particularly when displaying true HD broadcasts (not up-converted) as I'm yet to see it in action with HD.= Its still one of the best panels Ive ever seen especial for AFL Footy.

Thanks again for your help Angelo.

If you can get around the DVI issue you will love this screen, which Im sure you will.

If you can get around the DVI issue you will love this screen, which Im sure you will.

Thanks for your helpful and honest reply Angelo. You've been a big help.

The DVI issue is certainly dissapointing but I'm hoping a solution will surface at some point. Perhaps even a new STB that will allow overscan adjustments on the box itself.

I guess the other alternative is to stick to component ouput from STB and get a new progressive scan DVD player with DVI output (The Denon 1910 is looking like a good option). My only conern with doing this is the locking out of aspect ratio adjustments for DVDs when suing DVI (wouldn't matter for widescreen DVDs but 4x3 DVDs I presume would be stretched on the screen with no way to correct this on the panel itself?).

Did you ever use a DVD player with DVI out on this panel? If so what were your thoughts?

Oh and just out interest what display are you using now?

Thanks for your helpful and honest reply Angelo. You've been a big help.

The DVI issue is certainly dissapointing but I'm hoping a solution will surface at some point. Perhaps even a new STB that will allow overscan adjustments on the box itself.

I guess the other alternative is to stick to component ouput from STB and get a new progressive scan DVD player with DVI output (The Denon 1910 is looking like a good option). My only conern with doing this is the locking out of aspect ratio adjustments for DVDs when suing DVI (wouldn't matter for widescreen DVDs but 4x3 DVDs I presume would be stretched on the screen with no way to correct this on the panel itself?).

Did you ever use a DVD player with DVI out on this panel? If so what were your thoughts?= no

Oh and just out interest what display are you using now?

50 inch Nec plasma

Hi,

I've also bought the PFM42X1 from pluscorp and the screen arrived yesterday...

Now i've have some questions about how to connect a dvd player and the ps2 to the screen.

I've tried to used the component cable to connected the dvd player and when i tried to play a movie, the screen is all green and looks awful :blink:

Neway i'm a new to the plamas and dont know much about it, also what other cables do i need to buy to connect the ps2/GameCube to the screen?..

Any help will be appreciate!!!

Thanks!!

Hi,

Now i've have some questions about how to connect a dvd player and the ps2 to the screen.

I've tried to used the component cable to connected the dvd player and when i tried to play a movie, the screen is all green and looks awful :blink:

Neway i'm a new to the plamas and dont know much about it, also what other cables do i need to buy to connect the ps2/GameCube to the screen?..

Thanks!!

sounds to me like you either got the dvd player set to ntsc output or the panel set on ntsc on the dvds component input thats making the picture look green.

either way just sounds like ntsc/pal issue here.

you spoken to pluscorp yet. They should be helping sort this out for you.

Hi,

Thanks!!

If it looks like a B&W picture - except green - then you have the component cables mixed up. Try swapping the B and G leads at one end.

Thanks guys, got it all sorted out as i went to Dick Smith this afternoon and bought a BNC plug-->RCA plug and i can hook up the switch box which got ps2, GC, & DVD player connected to the box...

Also i've bought a Teac DVB800 box and now is all hook up and the screen looks very nice :blink: