'DIY' VS 'Brand' Projector Screen

I recently brought a Panasonic AE700 projector and now looking for a 80" fixed Screen.

I seem good comment about some $50 DIY screen using 3+ block out material.

I also seem good comment on $600 plus screen in good brand (e.g. LP morgan, Day&Night...).

What is the difference (in term on picture quality) for a DIY screen and a Good brand Screen?

I am happy and more willing to have a DIY screen if I can find a screen material suitable for my AE700. - Please advise me on the material.

But if those 'brand' screen is out-perform DIY screen, I am happy to pay for the that extra. - Please advise me on the brand and model suit for my AE700.

Thank you very much!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently brought a Panasonic AE700 projector and now looking for a 80" fixed Screen.

I also seem good comment on $600 plus screen in good brand (e.g. LP morgan, Day&Night...).

What is the difference (in term on picture quality) for a DIY screen and a Good brand Screen?

I am happy and more willing to have a DIY screen if I can find a screen material suitable for my AE700. - Please advise me on the material.

But if those 'brand' screen is out-perform DIY screen, I am happy to pay for the that extra. - Please advise me on the brand and model suit for my AE700.

Thank you very much!

If you head over to AVS Forum there is a tonne of information relating to screen comparisons and DIY - I noticed there is even a thread requesting exactly the same as your thread.....

Guest EZYHD

I guess its how you want it to look as well. I know my Screechnics one looks the ants pants but a painted wall would not be cup of tea. $600 seems a lot for a fixed screen IMO. Think on eBay can buy them for half that. Have you done a google search on projector screens?, should find many there to suit and much cheaper than you quoted price.

Thank you very much!

I made my own screen from 4mm foamboard that i got for nothing at work, just had to add black felt covered borders and $9 later it was finished. I'm really happy with the picture quality but i'm sure a proper $700 screen would produce a better image, i'm just not willing to part with that sort of money.

I did try some blockout material from my local Spotlight but didn't like the results, the picture seemed a bit dull and washed out. My suggestion to you is get some samples of various materials that could be used as a screen, put them all up on the wall side by side and project onto them and pick which looks best.

I love DIY projects and have been experimenting with different screen solutions.

I initially projected my image onto the lounge room wall painted 'sand' colour and the picture was sensational. Friends were telling me not to bother changing anything however I'm more interested in experimentation than anything else.

I read on the LP morgan site that they only recommend matt white so I bought some Dulux 101 paint which is a low sheen white. This gave an increased gain and bright colourful scenes are awesome, however dark scenes look a little washed out. I think this is more to do with the remaining 'sand' coloured paint on the adjacent walls being fairly reflective and bouncing a fair bit of light onto the screen.

Next experiment is to try some grey paint to see what that does to the blacks.

Paint is cheap, experimenting is fun. I figure in a few months I'll probably just buy a screen anyway, but I have a rather large room and the THX viewing calculator recommends a minimum 110" screen for my viewing distance, so a brand name screen will be very expensive. In the mean time, the quality difference between my painted wall and the LP Morgan screen I have already tested is very marginal.

Foamboard is the secret material commercial screen makers dont want you to know about!  :blink:

Cant compete with pro glass beaded for high gain, but IMNSHO can kick the proverbial of run-of-the-mill commercial fixed screens...

Where can it be bought in sizes suitable for screens and what sort of prices?

Check out advertising suppliers (they are used in signage and for photo boards etc).

I used Kapa Board. There's also the famous GatorBoard/GatorFoam and some other one whose name has slipped my memory.

You can get quite large enough boards for screens! :P

I used a cut-down one for my 110 inch screen! (I think Kappa comes in 3m wide boards if you really want the big 2.35:1 cine-rama experience!)

Arent up there in the gain league (parity on mine, if I'm lucky probably!), but the colour accuracy is good, and should be good for digitals.

As I've said before, some entrepreneurs simply buy these (with edging - I used black aluminium) from the suppliers and resell them commercially as Quality Projection Screens with a healthy markup!

Thanks very much for all the advise/comment on my question. There are lot of information in the AVS forum which I need to digest them slowly.

I try 'foamboard' in yellowpages, but no luck to find any place for it. Can you give me more information on how to get the 'foamboard'? I am happy to try it.

Thanks very much for all the advise/comment on my question. There are lot of information in the AVS forum which I need to digest them slowly.

I try 'foamboard' in yellowpages, but no luck to find any place for it. Can you give me more information on how to get the 'foamboard'? I am happy to try it.

Probably a good place to look would be a big hardware store like Bunnings, the sheet i use is made by LG but i cant for the life of me remember the name of it. Sheet size is about 1200x2400mm but i'm sure you can get bigger sheets.

If u have no luck let me know and i'll find out who our supplier is.

I mentioned advertising suppliers ... look them up (rather than the product they supply).

BTW: Never found this kind of stuff in bunnings (pretty fragile compared to plywood, and DONT buy opened sheets just sitting around in bunnings-style warehouse, or it'll be dull grey/brown rather than bright white! :blink: )

Was reading through a HIFI (Australian HiFi) mag and came across an article on Screens (Middle pages spread)

*There is an Aussie Company called SCREEN SCIENCE and apparently they have devised a way to produce high quality flat rigid projector screens with a choice of white or grey surfaces for a very modest price. (a 100" 16x9 screen in either finish will cost $1449)

*Quoted form magazine.

No, there is no link or web site for these guys, (I tried to find em!) :blink:

The mag gives you a few pics of their workshop preparing a screen (handy for those who want to have a go themselves)

Hopefully these guys will open up a webbie soon.

cheers

=MOFO=

I recently brought a Panasonic AE700 projector and now looking for a 80" fixed Screen. [...]I am happy and more willing to have a DIY screen if I can find a screen material suitable for my AE700. - Please advise me on the material.

I painted directly onto my wall (after filling holes, etc.). I started with Dulux ceiling white, but two coats over the original strong colour were insufficient to prevent the original colour coming through. So when I went to buy more paint, I saw there was a Dulux "Brillliant White" "one coat" ceiling paint. So I got that, and used two coats. All applied with a roller; the final coat with a short nap roller. The border is 67mm (approx.) "colonial arch" moulding from Bunnings, coated with a couple of coats of White Knight black chalkboard spray paint (Bunnings). Result is very good (approx 118" diagonal), but I have no idea if a commercial screen would be even better. And if it were, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for one!

Bob Long

Was reading through a HIFI (Australian HiFi) mag and came across an article on Screens (Middle pages spread)

*There is an Aussie Company called SCREEN SCIENCE and apparently they have devised a way to produce high quality flat rigid projector screens with a choice of white or grey surfaces for a very modest price. (a 100" 16x9 screen in either finish will cost $1449)

*Quoted form magazine.

No, there is no link or web site for these guys, (I tried to find em!) :blink:

The mag gives you a few pics of their workshop preparing a screen (handy for those who want to have a go themselves)

Hopefully these guys will open up a webbie soon.

cheers

=MOFO=

There's nothing modest about a $1449 flat rigid screen in white or grey, IMNSHO!

You could say that an Aussie Company ("Santa Screens Corp®") has discovered a way to create a giant flat white rigid screen (110") for under $250, professionally framed and delivered... that would be more modest... :P

There's nothing modest about a $1449 flat rigid screen in white or grey, IMNSHO!

You could say that an Aussie Company ("Santa Screens Corp®") has discovered a way to create a giant flat white rigid screen (110") for under $250, professionally framed and delivered... that would be more modest...  :blink:

I'll take one!!!

Maybe I should relax my ethics and actually "manufacture" these.

Of course, I'd bump the price to $450 for a nice instant profit! :P

BTW: Toey ... "Why is there a Toppy and a Pana700 in heaven?"

"Obviously they died!" :P

Foamex or Expanded PVC sheet would likely be a cheaper option that Gatorboard or similar (though Expanded PVC is a heavier/denser, though if u plan on mounting on a flat wall, 5mm thickness should do).

We use the stuff at work, its not expensive, i guess a retail customer could pick up a 2440 x 1220 sheet for $80 or so. (probably less).

It has a low sheen slightly textured finish.

I'm currently just using the wall (current house is a Rental and have not been bothered mounting screen, ie have to patch up etc).

Mate has same PJ and an LP Morgan screen, the wall (which is a light cream colour (balances out the colour of the PJ near perfect)) is noticably better picture than the "professional" screen. Better depth, colours, less white "glare/bloom" etc etc. I

Im fully satisfied with the PQ of the wall (which was freshly painted b4 i moved in), though would like to mask up a board...... hmmmm but how.

Mate has same PJ and an LP Morgan screen, the wall (which is a light cream colour (balances out the colour of the PJ near perfect)) is noticably better picture than the "professional" screen.  Better depth, colours, less white "glare/bloom" etc etc.  I

As I've mentioned in other posts, I originally used my 'sand' painted wall and it was sensational. I've since painted it white and am wondering if it was better as 'sand'.

toechopchop,

yep, i think it is because not all PJ's have spot on colour temp and balance. The X1 for example can get good colour temp/balance on a white screen using an 81a Warming filter, without this its either too warm/dirty or too cool/(with white glare/bloom). On my wall i need no filter as the wall seems to balance it perfectly. If only the buggers had painted the rest of the room black and left a screen size section on the the projected wall :blink: haha

I made a 3-pass blockout screen, complete with black frame that looks as good as most commercial screens for my Panny 500.

Total cost of materials - under a hundred

Total hours to make - about fifteen

Tools needed - square, tape measure, pencil, hand saw, mitre box, cordless drill, screwdriver, hammer, corner clamps, staple gun (borrowed).

I can't compare it with a commercial screen because I don't have one, but calibrating with Digital Video Essentials I only had to make a minor adjustment (reduction!) to the contrast to get the "perfect" picture.

In the end, I am happy. And that's what counts. :blink::P

Best of luck,

Dik

Commercial screens are a rip off.

I have a Commercial pull down screen for 16x9 viewing and a painted home made screen behind it for 2.35:1 viewing.

Guess wich one everyone who has seen my set up prefers.

Yep,the home made one.