Plasma deals

Oh cmon guys, give ktskeats a go. He is just giving his opinion on how he sees it. I would love plasmas to come down to those levels in the next 12months, and well when I think that only christmas time I was looking at a SD Samsung for 5k which you can now get for around 2.5 to 3k, its pretty interesting at just how in the last 6months prices have dropped.

The HD samsumg that replaced the SD that was selling for $5500 around christmas you can now get for around $3500, it just shows how the prices of HD are coming down fast too.

I think the dollar and the old supply and demand thing will be the biggest factors in plasma prices. With our dollar falling atm it might slow down the plasma price drops, but yeah who knows.

TCL are selling their 42" plasmas for 2500 right now, and there are all those other cheaper brands out there too so who knows. I can certainly see $1999 by years end of more than a few units out there.

Personally I think its interesting and fun to speculate on the direction of prices, and these forums are a great place to share ideas whether they are pie in the sky stuff or not. I just hate it when forums turn sour and people start getting into attacking people just because they dont agree with their view.

I like ktskeats optimism, and well, I kinda would love to see him silence a few people here in a 12months time. Mind you, Im the eternal optimist and am in the market for 2 plasmas a 50inch and 42inch so yeah Im hoping for some big price drops in the next 6months when I need to get mine :blink:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey onnzo that Samsung is one really nice looking unit. $2700 is not a bad price for a panel that only started showing up in the shops in the last week or two and has a rrp of $3299.00. Did you have to do any haggling for that price or is it a store special ?.

I was just on Samsungs website and they are saying its a HD panel

"Plasma TV

PS42D5S 106cm Plasma TV Samsung continues to lead the way in providing ultra High Definition images through the latest range of High Defi nitionPlasma Panels. Featuring high contrast ratio of up to 10,000:1 and ultra brightness of up to 1500 candelas, the Samsung range of HD Plasma TV’s is destined to impress."

Oh well the the specs give the proper resolution and info, but anyway. How is it onnzo, do u like the pic quality ??. I sooo want one now even though I should wait another 6months till I move house.

We recently purchased the Pioneer 50" PDP505HD for a very good price. We did visit a few retailers before we made our final purchase. Went to DJ pitt st mall, Myer city, domayne, joycemayne, good guys, Megamart, all in alexandria. In terms of service levels, we'd definately come back to megamart, their staff are very technically minded and arent as pushy compared others. city stores service level were just absolutely apalling, they don't even look at you unless you approach them and ask to be served. Anyways enough ranting on our behalf.

We were originally after the LG 50" with the built in set top box, but after speaking to my salesman, (free plug to Steve at megamart). This young bloke obviously knows his stuff and suprisingly very honest (its rare to find an honest salesman these days they all seem to only care about how much $ you have in your wallet :blink: ) He showed us a few 50" panels and gave us lots of information about them. After taking up much of his time, we did get a quote of $6400 for the LG without even mentioning to him that we had been shopping around for the day. which was better than the $6750 from the good guys, but we bought the Pioneer 50" PDP505HD because it was the best package and the price was great too just under $7000. Reason why we didnt go for the HDTV LG panel is because of the pixelation problem when the screen heats up. the 42" version even freezes as well. and since this the the first generation of inegrated HD tvs, heat dissipation hasn't been focused on as much that's why the panel suffers. We're not putting LG down at all, we're actually a big fan of LG as we did purchase the 23" LCD for our bedroom, and a few other items in our house are LG as well.

We only wished we found our salesman steve earlier, he would've saved us a lot of time travelling around to diferent stores. At the end of the day, he was able to offer us prices that was a lot lower than the quotes that we had.

I very much doubt we will get anywhere near $999 in the next 12 months, could you really bring yourself to purchase such chinese rubbish if this was to occur.  If a chinese plasma gets down to $999 (providing it actually works ! one could only imagine the quality), LG/Samsung would have to bring their models down to around $1200-$1400 and the Japanese would have to bring theirs down to around $1600-$1800.  Quite unlikely. 

If LG/Phillips & Sony/Samsung have just built 2 new Plasma panel factories in Southern China (and more eslewhere) where do you think the bulk of those brands products are going to be sourced from for a price focused consumer market? Just try buying a Japanese made DVD player today!

Hey onnzo that Samsung is one really nice looking unit. $2700 is not a bad price for a panel that only started showing up in the shops in the last week or two and has a rrp of $3299.00. Did you have to do any haggling for that price or is it a store special ?.

I was just on Samsungs website and they are saying its a HD panel

"Plasma TV

PS42D5S 106cm Plasma TV Samsung continues to lead the way in providing ultra High Definition images through the latest range of High Defi nitionPlasma Panels. Featuring high contrast ratio of up to 10,000:1 and ultra brightness of up to 1500 candelas, the Samsung range of HD Plasma TV’s is destined to impress."

Oh well the the specs give the proper resolution and info, but anyway. How is it onnzo, do u like the pic quality ??. I sooo want one now even though I should wait another 6months till I move house.

What connections does it have, I assume the spec's on the web site are not that precise, is the 10,000:1 for real?

The rrp was $3300 but I signed up for a coles myer source card on the day who give you a 10% off one transaction voucher.

Then I saw in the paper on friday that they were having a 10% off TV sale so went back on saturday for a refund of the difference!

There seems to be only component, rca and s-video and a pc input.

Dissappointingly there is no DVI input.

I am still learning about plasma's (this is my first one) and am setting it up currently. Picture is beautiful but on some occassions I get a bit patchiness on skin tones. The reds are also very bright and I'm trying to work out how to tone it down.

Im just reading the manual now to work things out and i gotta learn more about the HDSTB too.

Mike

Yeah sounds interesting, ill have to keep my eye on this thread. Im interested about the referral thing myself. I am in the market for a plasma but dont really need it for a few months so I am holding off, but when I do buy it will be a 50" and a 42", so yeah Jonathan, keep the good deals coming on.

Oh, btw do you guys take credit cards, and if so, which ones ?.

Well Jonathan when Im ready Ill be sure to contact you as its just a matter of time. I am actually hoping that Samsung will release their 5th gen plasmas here by years end. I like the "Bezel-Less" design that Ive seen their .com site.

Either way I will keep you in mind for friends as I know alot of people are considering purchasing plasmas very soon at work.

Thanks again. Ill keep an eye out for your specials.

Hi Jonathan,

That sounds pretty good. What do others think? I think I can get a few for the office here...what is the refferral bonus? I might get a side business going!

Hi Guys/Gals you might check this as I did to discover that the quoted price does not include GST. Is that legal?

Unacceptable commercial advertising.

Hi Coral / GRWA,

Sorry about the "advertising" but I thought that the forum was open to where people could actually get hold of plasma's too as per the previous comments. The nature of a forum is to table issues relating to a topic. In this case, plasma screens and best value - does this not include price?

Although the forum relates to general product and performance of these products in my limited commercial experience with plasma screens the main trigger for the consumer is price. Ouside of price it is value for money. I was simply letting the forum know the we offer value for money plasma's.

Sorry about that ,all comments are welcome. I joined the forum because I was looking at peoples comments on products etc for our clients.

As for the GST, Good point. On all of our brochures we have + GST. We are aware of the legals. We were just indicating a price of $2,700 as a guide and yes it didn't include GST. A good thing you alerted us to that.

A question for the forum....

We acess these plasma's through through another avenue of our business with large holtels & resorts. We are not making much money out of plasma's and were simply offering to people that are genuinely looking for goos deals.

Do you all want us to continue looking to supply cheap plasma's on the back of our buying power? To do this as we have access to very chap plasma's and are quite happy to keep doing it?

What do you guys think?

Whether or not that's the case it's irrelevant. The guidelines have been formed to both protect the members from spam offers, and prohibit commercial companies from making financial gain on the back of these forums.

If you're "making a little bit of money", what stops many of the countless Plasma/LCD/TV suppliers we have on this forum from doing exactly the same thing? This forum isn't an open slather free advertising warehouse for suppliers to increase their bottom lines.

The end result is, if we allow commercial posts from suppliers wanting a "little bit of money", we allow the forums to be filled up with "THIS WEEK'S SPECIAL" posts. The members do not want that, and actively oppose it.

You can view the guidelines here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=boardrules

I apologise if this seems harsh, but it really is a one rule for all scenario. You may contact me privately if you wish to discuss this further. Under no circumstances is listing pricing ever considered 'allowed'. If members contact you via PM or privately, then that's usually considered OK. Informing members that you have some product available, in context, is usually considered OK.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
OK, back on topic here -

Ordered my Panasonic TH-42PA50A (the latest Gen 8 viera SD panel) from DJ's - their price $3,150, purchased on DJ's card over 24 months interest free, no deposit.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!  :blink:

Cheers

Cameron

Bought the same unit from Megamart Cooparoo in Brisbane about 6 weeks ago for $3000, inlcuding delivery. Paid cash.

So far very happy, though if anyone can suggest ideal settings would be happy to hear them!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Panasonic TH42PV50A from HN for $3300 including stand, 5 year warranty, delivery, LG HD STB, 2 sets of Monster component cable and a belkin surge protector.