Music DVD's

Anyway, thanks guys for recommending Roger Waters In The Flesh Live. I bought it yesterday and it is a great addition to my collection

Well if 1 person is happy we have done well the first female vocal singer that sang "Mother" is also the lead female singer for Eric Clapton and they also seem to share guitar players between both groups my best 150dB track has got to be "It Makes Perfect Sense" that little Africian American female singer sure can belt it out :blink:

cheers laurie

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, thanks guys for recommending Roger Waters In The Flesh Live. I bought it yesterday and it is a great addition to my collection

Well if 1 person is happy we have done well the first female vocal singer that sang "Mother" is also the lead female singer for Eric Clapton and they also seem to share guitar players between both groups my best 150dB track has got to be "It Makes Perfect Sense" that little Africian American female singer sure can belt it out :blink:

cheers laurie

Laurie, I have not even gone past Mother yet!!! Everytime I hear her rendition of that song, it just gives me goose pimples. And I just keep repeating that song. This is one of very few music dvds that I would certainly say money well spent. And oh yes, I played it really LOUD... :P

Cheers.

cheers laurie

Laurie, I have not even gone past Mother yet!!! Everytime I hear her rendition of that song, it just gives me goose pimples. And I just keep repeating that song. This is one of very few music dvds that I would certainly say money well spent. And oh yes, I played it really LOUD... :P

Cheers.

guys you got my interest here now !

ok which ones the one with the goose pimples the one with "mother"

roger waters in the flesh or eric clapton ?.

this is a great thread.

Laurie, I have not even gone past Mother yet!!!

Yep,yep happen to me and my wife :blink: wait till you get to the part where the images of Americian Indians are projected on the wall that starts off slowly then Roger belts it out those 3 female backing vocals complete the whole concert :P

roger waters in the flesh

That's the one Al

ps with Roger Waters it helps to leave the subtitles on as his lyrics are hard to understand at times

Laurie, I have not even gone past Mother yet!!!

Yep,yep happen to me and my wife :blink: wait till you get to the part where the images of Americian Indians are projected on the wall that starts off slowly then Roger belts it out those 3 female backing vocals complete the whole concert :P

roger waters in the flesh

That's the one Al

ps with Roger Waters it helps to leave the subtitles on as his lyrics are hard to understand at times

Thanks Laurie,

I will give this one a whirl; I bought it a couple of years ago when JB HiFi had it on special and haven't played it for a while.

I have to admit I am a Bass fan and love the way Roger plays.

Better late than never ... but after Laurie's sterling effort, I thought I should at least listen [briefly] to all of mine before adding my assessments. So here goes:

***** (if you like the artist, you'll *love* the SQ)

Eagles - 'Hell Freezes Over'

Roger Waters et al - 'The Wall - Live in Berlin'*

B.B. King - 'In Concert'

Eric Clapton - 'One More Car, One More Rider'

Diana Krall - 'Live in Paris'

Rod Stewart - 'It Had To Be You'

Sting - 'The Brand New Day Tour'

Jennifer Lopez - 'Let's Get Loud'

Lauren Hill - 'MTV Unplugged No.2'

'The Commitments' (a movie - but there's enough great music in the soundtrack to qualify, IMHO)

**** (good performances; very good sound, but at least one issue with SQ)

Roger Waters - 'In The Flesh, Live'*

Santana - 'Supernatural, Live'

Norah Jones - 'Live in New Orleans'

Paul Simon - 'You're The One, In Concert'

Queen - 'Greatest Video Hits 1'

Destiny's Child - 'World Tour'

Beyonce - 'Live at Wembly'

Eminem - 'E'

Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, etc - 'The Up In Smoke Tour'

*** (great performances; ok ['analogue'] sound, but you have to love the artist to tolerate the weak drum/bass mixes)

Paul Simon - 'Graceland - The African Concert'

Joe Cocker - 'Across From Midnight - Live in Berlin'

Jethro Tull - 'Living With The Past, Live'

** & * (Don't waste your money - you have to really love the artist/s to tolerate the terrible SQ)

Yardbirds - 'Yardbirds'

Eminem - 'All Across Europe'

Cream - 'Farewell Concert'

Sinead O'Connor - 'Live'

Whitney, Cher, Tina, Brandy, etc - 'Divas Live '99'

Nina Simone - 'Live at Ronnie Scott's'

Ike & Tina Turner - 'DTS Special Edition EP'

Cheers,

Ian

------------------------------------------------------

* I don't disagree with others' assessments of 'In The Flesh' - it's just that the SQ on 'The Wall Live in Berlin' is better! (also, Van Morrison does the definitive "Comfortably Numb" for me; Cyndi Lauper's "We Don't Need No Education" is also a ripper; and Sinead O'Connor and The Band shine on "Mother" too) - but 'In The Flesh' is a better overall performance with a wider choice of Floyd material for all us Floyd fans. IMO, 'The Wall Live' is the better choice for rock fans.

BTW, I've seen Floyd live (awesome!!) and nearly got to Potsdammer Platz for the concert ... but I'm glad I missed it because my friends who did get there said the live sound was unlistenable with all the reflections and cancellations in the speaker setup around the platz. Thank God the recording is 5-star!

Better late than never ... but after Laurie's sterling effort, I thought I should at least listen [briefly] to all of mine before adding my assessments. So here goes:

** & * (Don't waste your money - you have to really love the artist/s to tolerate the terrible SQ)

Yardbirds - 'Yardbirds'

Sinead O'Connor - 'Live'

Cheers,

Ian

* I don't disagree with others' assessments of 'In The Flesh' - it's just that the SQ on 'The Wall Live in Berlin' is better! (also, Van Morrison does the definitive "Comfortably Numb" for me; Cyndi Lauper's "We Don't Need No Education" is also a ripper; and Sinead O'Connor and The Band shine on "Mother" too) - but 'In The Flesh' is a better overall performance with a wider choice of Floyd material for all us Floyd fans. IMO, 'The Wall Live' is the better choice for rock fans.

BTW, I've seen Floyd live (awesome!!) and nearly got to Potsdammer Platz for the concert ... but I'm glad I missed it because my friends who did get there said the live sound was unlistenable with all the reflections and cancellations in the speaker setup around the platz. Thank God the recording is 5-star!

Ian,

You are never too late, thanks for the great list also your (as always) assessment of the audio quality.

Also appreciate your list of duds, although I guess you had to pay for them in the first place to find out if they were okay or not.

***** (if you like the artist, you'll *love* the SQ)

Eagles - 'Hell Freezes Over'

Roger Waters et al - 'The Wall - Live in Berlin'*

B.B. King - 'In Concert'

Eric Clapton - 'One More Car, One More Rider'

Diana Krall - 'Live in Paris'

Rod Stewart - 'It Had To Be You'

Sting - 'The Brand New Day Tour'

Jennifer Lopez - 'Let's Get Loud'

Lauren Hill - 'MTV Unplugged No.2'

'The Commitments' (a movie - but there's enough great music in the soundtrack to qualify, IMHO)

**** (good performances; very good sound, but at least one issue with SQ)

Roger Waters - 'In The Flesh, Live'*

Santana - 'Supernatural, Live'

Norah Jones - 'Live in New Orleans'

Paul Simon - 'You're The One, In Concert'

Queen - 'Greatest Video Hits 1'

Destiny's Child - 'World Tour'

Beyonce - 'Live at Wembly'

Eminem - 'E'

Dr Dre, Snoop, Eminem, etc - 'The Up In Smoke Tour'

*** (great performances; ok ['analogue'] sound, but you have to love the artist to tolerate the weak drum/bass mixes)

Paul Simon - 'Graceland - The African Concert'

Joe Cocker - 'Across From Midnight - Live in Berlin'

Jethro Tull - 'Living With The Past, Live'

Yardbirds - 'Yardbirds'

Sinead O'Connor - 'Live'

Cheers,

Ian

Ian ...finally !. I've been hoping you'd post in this one. well worth the wait - excellent collection. I thought you'd have a few good ones and thanks for categorizing them for us too.

I think now my must buy/(try if I can) dvd list is starting to get to ridiculous proportions !.

Where did you find some of these...! gonna take some finding to track some these good ones down I think.

Where did you find some of these...! gonna take some finding to track some these good ones down I think.

Nearly all of mine have come from JB. The few that didn't would be from Borders or Sanity. I don't [yet] buy off the net.

'The Wall Live in Berlin' is better! (also, Van Morrison does the definitive "Comfortably Numb" for me; Cyndi Lauper's "We Don't Need No Education" is also a ripper; and Sinead O'Connor and The Band shine on "Mother" too) - but 'In The Flesh' is a better overall performance with a wider choice of Floyd material for all us Floyd fans. IMO, 'The Wall Live' is the better choice for rock fans.

Hi Ian

Well I did give the wall 4 stars the only reason it lost out on another one was that the whole concert was pre-recordered!! Roger was going to cancel the show if it wasn't from what I have read because it was going out live on TV and the chance something this big could go wrong fair enough BUT there were times where bands weren't even in place, the music already started :blink: just took the shine of a great concert plus the dummy spitting by Sinead O'Connor

cheers laurie

'The Wall Live in Berlin' is better! (also, Van Morrison does the definitive "Comfortably Numb" for me; Cyndi Lauper's "We Don't Need No Education" is also a ripper; and Sinead O'Connor and The Band shine on "Mother" too) - but 'In The Flesh' is a better overall performance with a wider choice of Floyd material for all us Floyd fans. IMO, 'The Wall Live' is the better choice for rock fans.

Hi Ian

Well I did give the wall 4 stars the only reason it lost out on another one was that the whole concert was pre-recordered!! Roger was going to cancel the show if it wasn't from what I have read because it was going out live on TV and the chance something this big could go wrong fair enough BUT there were times where bands weren't even in place, the music already started :P just took the shine of a great concert plus the dummy spitting by Sinead O'Connor

cheers laurie

We don't really disagree at all, Laurie. :blink: Sinead's dummy spit really put me off the snotty b!tch [and I'm therefore secretly glad that her 'Live' ended up with a 2-star SQ rating ;-)] ... but I've met Floyd in Australia [arrogant pricks!] and have also been obsessed with the quality of the [pre-recorded!!] concert since an important business meeting in Hamburg forced me to cancel the road trip with friends to Berlin at the last minute. So I've had the laser disc and now the DVD ... but mainly for Van Morrison's performance since I still have nearly every LP, CD, LD and DVD that Floyd have ever made!

My ratings are on SQ only. I listened to most of them while doing other things - so at least one of my 4-star ones (Beyoncé) has pretty awful [looks like composite Foxtel!] PQ now that I actually watch it again! Another one (Paul Simon) is a pretty weak performance compared to his *fantastic* african concert in Harare with Miriam Makeeba and Ladysmith Black Mambazo ... but again the ratings were only on SQ.

If I could find time to watch them all again before the 24-hour forum edit time limit expires, I'd add some PQ and performance ratings as well. :P

If I could find time to watch them all again before the 24-hour forum edit time limit expires, I'd add some PQ and performance ratings as well. :blink:

Ian you can always quote your own post then edit the changes in a new post.

BTW I also have "David Gilmore in Concert" must watch that again this weekend.

Started watching "Roger Waters" trouble is the wife wants to watch FTA TV so will give that a workout over the weekend as well.

I looked at hiring this way but a pain in the neck going to P.O. all the time when my local DVD store is at our shopping centre.

hehehe good point foxtail !..never thought of that aspect.

Some of the online video stores send a reply paid envelope with the DVD so costs nothing to send it back (well included in the subscription fee anyway) - not too bad...

My corner video store, although doesnt stock music DVD's, :blink: , has the new releases for $2.95 with all movies on Tuesday at $1 with no max. limit. Makes these online stores hardly worthwhile although the choice on music DVD's is fantastic!!!!! The majority, if not all, of the DVD's mentioned in this thread are available. By the way I have no affiliation with any of these online stores.

Nearly all of mine have come from JB. The few that didn't would be from Borders or Sanity. I don't [yet] buy off the net.

Ian good to know these can be had from the likes of jb sanity or borders all of which we have here in melb. Next chance I get I'm going to be out there wit ha list !

Some excellent listening & viewing to be had - looking forward to it !

BTW I also have "David Gilmore in Concert" must watch that again this weekend.

spearmint

Would be interested in your views on this I was in two minds with this concert I thought it lacked something which I cannot put my finger on :blink: maybe I should re-visit it myself also :P

cheers laurie

The one disc I am really waiting for is Pink Floyd "Pluse" I am going to push my HT to the max with this! blow the amp or speakers this is going to be spectacular

Info

cheers laurie

ps I seen the tape version and the last track "RUN" will blow you out of the water

pps now if only Roger Waters & David Gilmour make up and do a concert WOW

Thanks for the info Laurie,

I am waiting for a copy at the moment, (I won't comment until I receive it hopefully this weekend) :P

Spearmint/Laurie

could either of you please let me know when this DVD becomes available.....i went into Redeye Records today and they dont have a clue.

thanks in advance

:blink:

Oh P.S. Looking forward to Pulse. I think this is the one i have on an old video tape somewhere, it was on ten roughly ten years ago. The opening song is shine on you crazy diamond. Ill dig it out and take a look at "run"

A question for fellow audio nutters ... :P

I've always preferred DD5.1 to DTS - but more through habit and maybe an early bad experience somewhere than any critical comparison ... until tonight.

Since I seem to keep reading everywhere that DTS is "less compressed ... higher bitrate ... better steering ... etc" I decided to do a single critical comparsion tonight of DD5.1 and DTS5.1 from my "5-star SQ" Diana Krall 'Live in Paris' DVD.

[FWIW, I had to do the comparison because I was listening to the DTS soundtrack with the plasma turned off and seriously questioned my earlier 5-star rating!! :blink: So I went back over a couple of tracks of the DD soundtrack that I normally listen to.]

What I find with this DVD is that the DD5.1 track eats the DTS5.1 track alive! Better resolution, soundstage and transients just for a start ... IMO, mainly because the DTS track has jitter in the recording (or my receiver's DTS decoder?). The piano in the soundstage is screwed for both versions without the video to "guide" the brain, but that's a minor flaw overall.

Does anyone else with this recording share my assessment? ... Or is my receiver's DTS decoder in need of a firmware upgrade (or replacement)?

I'll go through my other dual-format DVDs over the next day or so with a more critical ear, but I'd appreciate your thoughts in the meantime.

A question for fellow audio nutters ... :P

I've always preferred DD5.1 to DTS - but more through habit and maybe an early bad experience somewhere than any critical comparison ... until tonight.

Since I seem to keep reading everywhere that DTS is "less compressed ... higher bitrate ... better steering ... etc" I decided to do a single critical comparsion tonight of DD5.1 and DTS5.1 from my "5-star SQ" Diana Krall 'Live in Paris' DVD.

[FWIW, I had to do the comparison because I was listening to the DTS soundtrack  with the plasma turned off and seriously questioned my earlier 5-star rating!! :blink:  So I went back over a couple of tracks of the DD soundtrack that I normally listen to.]

What I find with this DVD is that the DD5.1 track eats the DTS5.1 track alive! Better resolution, soundstage and transients just for a start ... IMO, mainly because the DTS track has jitter in the recording (or my receiver's DTS decoder?). The piano in the soundstage is screwed for both versions without the video to "guide" the brain, but that's a minor flaw overall.

Does anyone else with this recording share my assessment? ... Or is my receiver's DTS decoder in need of a firmware upgrade (or replacement)?

I'll go through my other dual-format DVDs over the next day or so with a more critical ear, but I'd appreciate your thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks Ian

I will also test that DVD out this weekend, Diana Krall's latest DVD only has DD5.1 i.e. no DTS well this is the R1 version not sure about R4.

If you have some money to spare get “Bon Jovi – This Left Feels Right” even if you are not a Bon Jovi fan, trust me the audio & video are superb. Their rendition of Sylvia’s Mother is brilliant IMO. They have revamped their songs and are crooning in this concert which was filmed in a Hotel Casino in New Jersey. Although I have the R1 version it is available in R4.

The one disc I am really waiting for is Pink Floyd "Pluse" I am going to push my HT to the max with this! blow the amp or speakers this is going to be spectacular

Info

cheers laurie

ps I seen the tape version and the last track "RUN" will blow you out of the water

pps now if only Roger Waters & David Gilmour make up and do a concert WOW

Thanks for the info Laurie,

I am waiting for a copy at the moment, (I won't comment until I receive it hopefully this weekend) :P

Spearmint/Laurie

could either of you please let me know when this DVD becomes available.....i went into Redeye Records today and they dont have a clue.

thanks in advance

:blink:

You and half the audio world would also like to know :P

I am sure there will be big announcements when it finally gets released.

Some of the online video stores send a reply paid envelope with the DVD so costs nothing to send it back (well included in the subscription fee anyway) - not too bad...

My corner video store, although doesnt stock music DVD's,  :blink:  , has the new releases for $2.95 with all movies on Tuesday at $1 with no max. limit.  Makes these online stores hardly worthwhile although the choice on music DVD's is fantastic!!!!!  The majority, if not all, of the DVD's mentioned in this thread are available.  By the way I have no affiliation with any of these online stores.

I used one of these services a while ago came free with a DVD player I bought, anyway what I found frustrating was that you had to pick X amount and were sent what they had available. Where as at least when you go to the video library you can pick what titles take your fancy at the time.

I guess about the only advantage (as has been pointed out) is the fact that they have a good selection of Music Titles.

Guest EZYHD

After reading the great music DVD lists here couldn't help myself last night went out and bought 3 to add to my growing collection.

Roger Waters-The Wall Live In Berlin

Meat Loaf-Storytellers

Robbie Williams Waht We Did Last Summer

Was up till 1am so engossed in these DVD's, thought the Robbie Williams one was simply fantastic on the big PJ 2m screen and the sound awesome, ah' another late night tonight (Friday).

Thank so much guys for alerting us all to many music titles we didn't know about.

Ps. It was Laurie who got me going with his ratings, spot on good one.

Cheers...

After reading the great music DVD lists here couldn't help myself last night went out and bought 3 to add to my growing collection.

Roger Waters-The Wall Live In Berlin

Meat Loaf-Storytellers

Robbie Williams Waht We Did Last Summer

Was up till 1am so engossed in these DVD's, thought the Robbie Williams one was simply fantastic on the big PJ 2m screen and the sound awesome, ah' another late night tonight (Friday).

Thank so much guys for alerting us all to many music titles we didn't know about.

Ps. It was Laurie who got me going with his ratings, spot on good one.

Cheers...

Wow...spending spree. Lucky you. Meat Loaf - Storytellers has great PQ and SQ. Go to 'I would do anything for love, but I won't do that'. Crank up the volume and enjoy... :blink:

Cheers.