Klapp Electronics, Melbourne, Victoria

Was not sure where to post this but I thought I should relay my experience to other potential buyers.

I am about to purchase a new LCD TV and I was keen to purchase from Klapp they are close by and have been there for a long time and had been into the shop been treated well and they seemed to know whay they were talking about.

However on a recent visit to a Large consumer store they had the TV we had kind of decided on for a great price, 32" Grundig LCD Xentia for $4000. We decided well $500 is $500 I will call them and see if they can at least get close and we will go with Klapp even if they are a little more expensive.

I called them on the phone and said 32" Grundig Xentia I can get it for $4000 can you at least get close to it and I was told "Yep no problems we will do it for $3500" I was a bit taken aback by this and I said are you sure ? 32" not the 26", but no that was the price.

I took 2 days to double check things but then on a green guide day saw the Klapp advertisement which had 32" Xentia for $4500, so I called back and said, "look what is going on you said 3500 for the 32" are you sure, im confused, he said no come in we will do it for $3500.

this part of the story is my fault for being trusting or I dont know what.

I called the other store, and said no look it is ok thanks for your help.

I was then told on my purchase trip into Klapp, sorry "XXXXX" is not here but he told us you were coming in for the 32" Xentia at $4500. Well it all went donwhill from there, 3 days I was stuffed around for and I did not appreciate it and I told them so, the offered too match the $4000 but at this stage it was not about money, I had just lost total faith in them.

so I have ended up going back to the first store and am quite happy to pay $4500 to them as their sale is no longer on and I told that to them as well, but they were very apathetic about it and there response was basically "Ok, no problems, do whatever you like"

so partially my fault and I accept that, buyer beware and never take a telephone call for anything more than that. It was a very disappointing saga, I just thought for a local store they may have operated a little bit better than that.

Hopefully just happens to this sucker.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not sure where to post this but I thought I should relay my experience to other potential buyers.

I am about to purchase a new LCD TV and I was keen to purchase from Klapp they are close by and have been there for a long time and had been into the shop been treated well and they seemed to know whay they were talking about.

However on a recent visit to a Large consumer store they had the TV we had kind of decided on for a great price, 32" Grundig LCD Xentia for $4000. We decided well $500 is $500 I will call them and see if they can at least get close and we will go with Klapp even if they are a little more expensive.

I called them on the phone and said 32" Grundig Xentia I can get it for $4000 can you at least get close to it and I was told "Yep no problems we will do it for $3500" I was a bit taken aback by this and I said are you sure ? 32" not the 26", but no that was the price.

I took 2 days to double check things but then on a green guide day saw the Klapp advertisement which had 32" Xentia for $4500, so I called back and said, "look what is going on you said 3500 for the 32" are you sure, im confused, he said no come in we will do it for $3500.

this part of the story is my fault for being trusting or I dont know what.

I called the other store, and said no look it is ok thanks for your help.

I was then told on my purchase trip into Klapp, sorry "XXXXX" is not here but he told us you were coming in for the 32" Xentia at $4500. Well it all went donwhill from there, 3 days I was stuffed around for and I did not appreciate it and I told them so, the offered too match the $4000 but at this stage it was not about money, I had just lost total faith in them.

so I have ended up going back to the first store and am quite happy to pay $4500 to them as their sale is no longer on and I told that to them as well, but they were very apathetic about it and there response was basically "Ok, no problems, do whatever you like"

so partially my fault and I accept that, buyer beware and never take a telephone call for anything more than that. It was a very disappointing saga, I just thought for a local store they may have operated a little bit better than that.

Hopefully just happens to this sucker.

This is unusal for Klapp i would talk to Shaun the owner

I have had some quite good experiences with Klapp but I must admit, rec3ently every time I ahve been in, it has been a complete struggle to get anything I would that I would consider normaly acceptable, let alone good service. Even from Shaun directly.

I investigated doing a power buy on a stack of items, though I couldn't get an enthusiastic run through of the equipment (that was not set up well either at the time) and it got to the point where I felt I was being almost rude by asking for a demo.

I once took a mate in to buy a full set of B&W's though couldnt get a propper demo - and this after I raved to him about how Klapp would look after him.... needless to say I felt like a chump and he bought his speakers elsewhere....

I bought some Klipsch speakers there over a year ago and when my new room is done, I will probably go back to match them. However over and above that, I do not plan to step foot in there again.

The trick with the 4500 thing.... think that is known as a bait and switch, or "I fu^^ed up and wont admit it".

Just my 2 cents on my experiences.

Just as well I listened to my wife and not ordered the Pioneer 969 from them. Imagine what would have happened if anything goes wrong and Klapp give me the run around. I would never hear the end of it... :blink:

This goes to show how important customer service really is nowadays. With internet forums such as this, it is a very dangerous business to give customers any problem. If Klapp does not pick up its act, soon it could well sound like Kolapps.

Cheers.

I had a similar experience with Frankston HiFi. I asked them if they would match the best price I had got on my plasma - they said yes. I ordered it, gave a $1000 deposit on credit card and then they rang me back saying they couldn't sell it to me at that price :blink:

In fact they would only sell it to me at $500 more than my best price :P

I received a surly apology and demanded a credit card refund immediately (and got it) and will never buy from them again.

It was an amateurish effort from a reputable HiFi store.

I have to also report that I had a less than satisfactory experience in my one dealing with klapp and the guy there I dealt with was in fact shaun.

I for one won't be going back there.

Geez what the hell is he doing over there

I have dealt with Shaun for years and he has always been a great guy but i suppose everyone changes over time

Sounds like you got yourself a bad case of the Klapp!

And there it is

I was telling one of the guys at work today someone is going to use that

Ditto!

Sounds like they'll be going like the klappers to get things back on track before they lose all their customers as news of their klapped out quality of service spreads like the proverbial... :blink:

I bought my 57" Tosh from Klapp and they delivered it 300km AND were way below HN's best price.

That was a while ago though, and recently I have emailed them several times about the Tosh DLP and they haven't even replied. I was intending to go to Melbourne to look at that set but maybe I should avoid (the) Klapp now.

• 2 years later...
glad to hear it is not just me, just wanted to relay my experience on so no one else should go through it.

thanks for the replies also

I have been meaning to add my experience with Klapp here for a while...

I bought a Toshiba HD CRT at Klapp in Prahran a bit over 12 months ago. Having agreed on the CRT/STB model and $ with the sales guy I then went around the back to pick it all up.

When the warehouse guy bought the TV down it was in fact the previous Toshiba model (worth about ~$300 less). The guy then tried to tell me the different model number on the box was because it was a silver one rather than black. I told him this was BS and when i refused to accept it the sales guy came back and apologised for the "handling error" and admitted they did not actually even have any of the agreed model in stock, and I would have to wait for delivery. The STB was not new as agreed but obviously ex-demo.

When the TV did arrive the colours were out of whack. When I called Klapp they didn't want to know (even though I gather they are meant to swap out new DOA TVs and replace with another new one). Instead they said all they would do was call Castel or I could do it myself. Castel were great and swapped over the unit quickly without issue (although they also commented that Klapp should have dealt with the problem).

Wouldn't ever do business with them again regardless of price.

I have had some quite good experiences with Klapp but I must admit, rec3ently every time I ahve been in, it has been a complete struggle to get anything I would that I would consider normaly acceptable, let alone good service. Even from Shaun directly.

I investigated doing a power buy on a stack of items, though I couldn't get an enthusiastic run through of the equipment (that was not set up well either at the time) and it got to the point where I felt I was being almost rude by asking for a demo.

I once took a mate in to buy a full set of B&W's though couldnt get a propper demo - and this after I raved to him about how Klapp would look after him.... needless to say I felt like a chump and he bought his speakers elsewhere....

I bought some Klipsch speakers there over a year ago and when my new room is done, I will probably go back to match them. However over and above that, I do not plan to step foot in there again.

The trick with the 4500 thing.... think that is known as a bait and switch, or "I fu^^ed up and wont admit it".

Just my 2 cents on my experiences.

Samhain

Were are you working these dayz. Are you still in the HT/AV game.

As i went to Big Picture People in Budoora to see you and they said you no longer worked their.

• 2 months later...

I was just in the Klapp's Prahran store on Wednesday and was attended to by Conrad. He was very helpfull and even gave me a great price on Klipsch speakers. Having just read the above coments I'm not sure I want to deal with them.

Ahh, the power of negative feddback!

If you think that Klapp's approach to sales is bad, you won't want to know about their approach to repairs! I made the mistake of taking something in to them for repair once, & ended up being charged for a whole stack of parts that weren't faulty AND the original fault remained exactly as it was -unfixed!

And an old codger I know told me exactly the same thing happened to him when he put his Grundig reel-to-reel tape deck in for repairs -AND THAT WAS BACK IN THE 60'S! So nothing's changed then!

A good place to steer clear of. But unfortunately their prominent store location means that there's always a fresh supply of new customers who are unaware of their tactics.

I bought a 46" inch Samsung tv there..they said it would be there 1st week in June. Silly me paid up in full over the weekend. First week of June they said it wasn't there and stock was delayed from Samsung. They said it would be the 13th June on a Wednesday. Rang up on the Wednesday and they said it should be there tomorrow on Thursday. I said if it's not there tomorrow that I would like to get my money back. Thursday morning they rang me and said it was delayed to the next week. They said they would loan me a 47" Toshiba LCD until the Samsung arrived. Free delivery of it and pickup and swapover to the Samsung. That was great of them I knew it wasn't there fault with Samsung. Anyway so received the Samsung on the Monday. Unfortunately I tested it last night with a pixel tester and it has one stuck pixel. Just waiting on Samsung to call me tomorrow to see if they'll do anything about it. But yeah i'd say my experience with Klapp has been good one. It was very decent of them to loan me a TV with free delivery and pickup.

With such bad publicity about their poor sales/service record, its a wonder this hasn't trickled back to them. I have a family friend who told me they got a quote for a 42" Pioneer plasma from Klapp about a week ago. It seemed competitive at the time, but with some of the experiences seen on this thread from some of our other members, I'm going to ring him tomorrow and tell him to take his business (and cash) elsewhere. I'd rather he spend a little more to get a little peace of mind with after sales service.

To me Klapp....sounds like Krapp!

Sorry, but there really is no room for them to treat customers this way. Selling is easy and doesn't cost much. Its the after sales service that REALLY counts!

My 5 cents worth.

Cheers.

I have sent two emails to them regarding enquiries, which would have led to a $3K+ purchase or more....and I still haven't received a response.....after more than a month.

If they are going to run a website and have an email address posted in the "contact us" page, the least they can do is reply to enquiries. Could I call them ? Yes. Should I have to ? No.

Bad business in my books (which is all too prevalent these days). Suffice to say, none of my money will be going through their till !

• 1 month later...

For a good ten years, I have lived in the proximity of Klapp Electronics. While being somewhat a bit of a Hi Fi nut, I have purchased quite a few items for myself which include: a Sony DVD player, pair of B&W speakers with matching B&W subwoofer, Sony mini-disk player, Grundig wide screen CRT, QED rca connections and metres of that brilliant silver anniversary cable. :rolleyes:

For a good ten years, the friendly service, advice and help from, second owner Steven, and assistant Con had been second to none as well as their prices (especially!!!). I paid them regular visits to either say "hello' or keep an eye on a probable up-grade. So happy was I, that I managed further sales through my close friends who couldn't stop hearing how good the team was at the time. In that time, All those sales added up to over $20,000 so was always considered a good, loyal customer to both Steven and Con. :wub:

For awhile my $12,000 audio visual system had me satisfied. I had moved away from Chapel St, so my visits became less than regular. That was until my Dvd gave up the ghost, so off course paid another visit to my favourite shop to discover that Steven had sold the business to Shaun.

I always had my eyes set on a Denon 1906 and off course they stocked it. However, the total disregard for my loyalty to the business had me quite dissapointed. Since they still had my Xentia on display, I was never able to have a demo using the new dvd player. All the questions I may have had were regarded either as too hard to follow up or annoying. The team behind Klapp has neither got the knowledge to answer ANY of your questions and Shaun's pompous, arrogant attitude will leave you quite cold...

Being unable to get hold of the player anywhere else because of delays due to popularuty, I managed a $100 discount off the retail, Yeah right :angry2:. But one thing is for sure I will never set foot in that place again nor tell anybody else about it!

I work in a nearby french bistro, and have had the pleasure of serving the original owners Klapp owners. Their only reply was "we sure are glad tobe in the wine industry now, but is unfortunate to hear that the name is being dully used!"

Goodluck to them... Not :wacko:

I bought a Fujitsu 42inch HD plasma with Regal set top box and Pioneer DVD with 80 gig hard drive just on 12 months ago. I could not have been happier with the price and service, particularly the installation, from Klapp. Shaun was on holiday at the time. We had no problems until this week. The set top box appeared to lose the input signal and subsequently died. I spoke to Shaun about the problem. He told me to return the box to the store (I live close to the Prahran store) and he immediately gave me a current Regal set top box. He told me how to set up the new box and when I got into troublke he tried to talk me through the problem. I managed to get everything working except for the picture on the DVD so I required a service call. The service man came within 24 hours and the problem was a loose connection into the TV from the video. I felt like a real idiot, particularly since I felt that the problem was going to be something stupid.

I could not be happier with Klapp and I will certainly speak to them the next time I want to buy something, I have also recommended them to friends. :)