TT buying suggestions please

Guest JohnA

amdan,

welcome to club VPI

mighty fine TT if i say so myslef :nana

yes, pics are mandatory once you get it and its all set up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David - how are you deciding on what tt to get? I decided to go ahead with the VPI simply based on reputation and with my fingers crossed. I have no idea if it will sound any good in my system. It seems to me that listening to any piece of equipment in the store is next to useless since it will sound different with my system.

I think I've narrowed the selection down to VPI/Clearaudio or Michell, with the VPI Scoutmaster or Aries having the most appealing looks to me. Someone tried to talk me into a Linn but it looks almost identical to what I had 29yrs ago except the plinth sides are now smooth where they were once grooved. I don't want to waste too much money doing upgrades, would rather spend more upfront (& delay purchase if need be).

Don't know whether this is a good idea, but I was planning to take my CDP along for initial listenings as a reference point, using well mastered CDs like the Avalon SACD to compare with the corresponding LP. Once narrowed down I would hope it possible to have a listen at home before finalising purchase. Obviously the cartridge is a big variable, and then I will have to get a phono stage. Not a cheap exercise so I don't want to rush.