DVICO TVIX Multimedia Player

Well the widescreen fix was shortlived, gets stuck in 4:3 again unless I hit TV out 4 times again.

Also I've now played in full 3 xvid's where the sound would suddenly jump out of sync by a minute or so 6-9min in. Happened twice on one file. 2 were streamed, 1 from the HDD.

The red LED on the remote has suddenly stopped working as well :blink:

And there doesn't appear to be a 'move' file for HDD files? Just 'copy'? Even if I FTP in and try a cut paste or drag and drop it doesn't work, I have to either delete and re-paste or do the units 'copy' function which on a 350mb file took way longer that normal.

Plus I tried to FTP about 30 mp3's about 300MB total, it copies a file, waits for like forever, then copies the next etc. This is using windows explorer to FTP but I can't imagine trying to copy large HD files to this thing at all, it could literally take hours (you can't FTP while in TV mode either, and it seems to pause more when you try and watch/play something to pass the time).

Also the TV scheduler realllly needs to be more user friendly. As I said before the yellow on white highlight is way way way to hard to see, and you set a 'start' time (only option is 24hour time too) BUT not a finish time, just a 'how long' to record for :unsure: which say you want to record 2.1 hours you have to whip out the calculator and add the minutes (read: this is for the 'average' user not a math wizz). It always defaults the schedule to CH1 (Ten HD) and you can't enter the channel number, only scroll and scroll and scroll until you get to the channel. Just trying to set 3 schedules was mind numbing.

A lot of work really needs to be done to the software/firmware still me thinks :wacko:

EDIT: After watching the 2 show FTP now doesn't connect at all, had to turn it off and back on again.

EDIT2: The 'backlight' on the remote are just glow in the dark buttons btw. I've just updated to the latest firmware (they are not kidding about taking nearly 10min to do either). Also when streaming it states that the files were created in 1970 :S

EDIT3: After the firmware update, nothing has really changed for the better for me, it's now locked up once going to TV. And I now have to press the TV out button *6* times for it to come up correctly, and EDID always fails.

EDIT4: SmartFTP works much better and can cut/paste (be aware as stated in the manual it only allows 1 connection at a time so you can't multi thread or que separate to your first connection) :)

Edited by yorky

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Issues: I noticed it doesn't seem to support timeshifting? No biggy but most PVR's do it.

This is the most used feature of my PVR in our household. Couldn't imagine going back to not having timeshifting abilities. Does it do chase play?

This is the most used feature of my PVR in our household. Couldn't imagine going back to not having timeshifting abilities. Does it do chase play?

Chase play sounds exactly like timeshifting? If so nup doesn't do anything on the sort unfortunately. Another draw back seems to be you can't record a channel and playback something at the same time. As to playback you have to drop out of the HDTV tuner mode <_<

Lord another issue... fast forward and rewinding xvids or TV records :wacko: its hit and miss if it actually continues playing at the spot you stop or otherwise it just jumps back to where you started the FF/RW :blink:

EDIT: AND doing a goto to say '11min' it goes to 9min :|

EDIT2: Its done it now on 2 out of 3-4 files.

Edited by yorky

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

been looking to replace my failing mediagate mg350hd..

so far the dvico tvix 4030 has looked the goods with its HD tuner, pvr and ability to use ide drives, but there's a few things on it that I can't find definite answers for..

Firstly, does it support h264?

Where can you find the usb wireless adapters for them? had a search but struggled to find any info on what's compatible or a place that sells them with the unit

Does the device have the ability to copy files from external usb source (thumb drive/ext hdd) to the internal drive? (one feature I always thought was missing from the mediagate)

Are there any better devices for the task I should be looking at? (keep in mind I want to limit myself to a budget of $250-450 and have been burnt by altech/mediagate and their dodgy build quality)

Finally, should I suck it up, blow out my budget, get the 4130 and replace my mediagate's 400gb ide drive with a sata?

Thanks,

Diarx.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a TViX PVR M-5130SH with the latest 1.4.52 firmware.

The unit works as expected and but the one thing I cannot find is an Advert skip ability, when watching a TV recording...I expect that this is because it does not exist ;)

One feature I have found useful is the ability to transfer files from a portable USB drive such as the WD passport to the internal drive ..conversely I have not been able to transfer files from a USB flash drive even though you can play files from such a drive......

Edited by Stori

You expect correctly :P

Let us know if you encounter any other issues.

Fast Forward seems to work corectly up to 32x....reverse seems dodgy

Downloaded Divx and Xvid seem to work perfectly as do self made Divx with AC3 audio attached....

16:9 seems to work correctly with Panasonic 42" SD plasma but have only used SVideo so far.

No audio problems with HD TV channels (was with original firmware)

TV recording and playback seems to work ok.

Moving files works within the internal hard drive and from external hard drives but not from USB flash drive...

The only thing that really is a "problem' to me is the no 30 second jump to help skip past TV advertising.

• 3 weeks later...

After putting that latest firmware on a couple weeks back, getting the blasted TV to actually stay on is getting difficult.

What I mean is the DTV will work, but then freeze and drop to the file manager. Seems to take 10+min of turning on and off to get it to work.... If I then go back to DTV the whole box freezes and I have to turn off again.

I've pretty much had it with this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Another addon to the above issue, the last two days the schedules haven't recorded. Heaps of space free on the HDD. I also came home two nights ago to the unit 'on' and in TV mode but nothing on the TV 'no signal'. Turned off and on fixed that but it still missed the schedule again.

Is no one else having these sorts of issues? If not it seems I've got a dud (But I really don't want to take it offline if others have the same issues).

• 1 month later...
Checked it again tonight, it decided my 'daily' schedule didn't need to be there anymore and its deleted itself... The other two weekly's were still there.

Hey yorky, I am sorry to hear about your problem with the 4130, but it made me happy to know I wasn't going nuts.

I have a 4130 doing pretty much the same thing. I have the latest firmware (1.4.52) but sometimes (and the problem is worse some days than others) when I'm watching TV it switches to file mode and then locks up if I try and switch back to TV mode. Also "sometimes" when I press record it starts, then stops, then switches to file mode. Also while I haven't used the guide to schedule recording very often, that hasn't been very reliable either.

This is my second unit, the first was returned and replaced under warranty after it kept locking up at boot stage 3 out of 4 times. I think my family may be planning a mutiny soon if I can't get this sorted.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey yorky, I am sorry to hear about your problem with the 4130, but it made me happy to know I wasn't going nuts.

I have a 4130 doing pretty much the same thing. I have the latest firmware (1.4.52) but sometimes (and the problem is worse some days than others) when I'm watching TV it switches to file mode and then locks up if I try and switch back to TV mode. Also "sometimes" when I press record it starts, then stops, then switches to file mode. Also while I haven't used the guide to schedule recording very often, that hasn't been very reliable either.

This is my second unit, the first was returned and replaced under warranty after it kept locking up at boot stage 3 out of 4 times. I think my family may be planning a mutiny soon if I can't get this sorted.

Hi Yorky, first time on this or any other forum so bear with me.

I also have a 4130 and I also had exactly the same issues as you had but don't dispair. I got in touch with the korean manufacturers and explained the issues that we were having and lo and behold they were well aware of the problems . They were all associated with the firmware release 1.4.52. The recommended temporary fix was to go back to the previous firmware version 1.3.15 while they attemp to solve the issues. I did this and the unit has been magnificent for the last two months. There were no real problems going backward either, just load 1.3.15 same as you did for 1.4.52.

This has been like joining a conversation at the end, but I hope this may help you.

hi there - considering getting on of these, was just wondering if there's any real advantage of buying the 6500 over the 4130 considering i'm really only going to use as a media library (rip all dvds, music etc to the one drive) and not going to use as a HD tuner (have foxtel hd).

any advice would be appreciated.

hi there - considering getting on of these, was just wondering if there's any real advantage of buying the 6500 over the 4130 considering i'm really only going to use as a media library (rip all dvds, music etc to the one drive) and not going to use as a HD tuner (have foxtel hd).

any advice would be appreciated.

The 6500 has the ability to output the latest audio such as dts-hd and dolby true hd, the only way you are going to use this feature is if you rip blu-ray movies into matroska and keep one of those audio formats.

That's the only major difference.

Otherwise, I love these units and have organised many for my family and friends.

They're awesome.

-Avy.