Sign in to follow this  
bigg

Dell 2405 FPW - 24'' Widescreen LCD comming soon

Just wondering, is this Dell Monitor based on Samsung Syncmaster 243T (maybe same panel or electronics)? If it is, then it is damn good price.

Aside from being a Samsung panel, which it is, what I found interesting is that the whole thing is put together by BenQ.

If you want to know more, follow the group buy discussion(s) over at Whirlpool.

At $1305, it's an absolute bargain compared to what else is out there.

Also, the 23" Apple is apparently the same panel as the Dell. How Apple came to 23" and Dell to 24", I don't know.

At $1305, it's an absolute bargain compared to what else is out there.

Also, the 23" Apple is apparently the same panel as the Dell. How Apple came to 23" and Dell to 24", I don't know.

The $1305 deal is well and truly over. There may be another in the future, but nothing firm yet. It was on sale direct from Dell, for one day only, a week or so back for $1287 or thereabouts.

The monitor is definitely 24", I just measured mine to make sure. Either Apple can't use a tape measure, or Apple's bezel covers part of the panel, or Apple doesn't use the same panel as the Dell.

Hi all,

I'm a noob to LCD's so bear with me.

I've done a bit of research on this display and it looks like exactly what i want.

But i have some concerns reading the previous posts. My PC has DVI outputs so that should not be a problem, however i really wanted my new display to be able to handle the upcoming next-gen consoles like Xbox360 and PS3 which i will be undoubtably buying as soon as they are released.

I understand that these new consoles will be able to display 1080i/p and this model Dell can handle that. My concern is that because PAL is 50Hz will this model have trouble accepting that signal through component out????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm a noob to LCD's so bear with me.

I've done a bit of research on this display and it looks like exactly what i want.

But i have some concerns reading the previous posts. My PC has DVI outputs so that should not be a problem, however i really wanted my new display to be able to handle the upcoming next-gen consoles like Xbox360 and PS3 which i will be undoubtably buying as soon as they are released.

I understand that these new consoles will be able to display 1080i/p and this model Dell can handle that. My concern is that because PAL is 50Hz will this model have trouble accepting that signal through component out????

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Has anybody tried to plug in the PS2 or Xbox into this display?

If so, does it work properly and how does it look?

I guess i can add my views to this thread, even though its pretty late.

Ive had the Dell 2405 for about 2 weeks now and have finally got used to the size and adjusted the screen brightness/contrast and colors to suit my style. Plugged in to the PC using DVI, no problems what so ever (using ATi 9800).

Also i have my Gamecube and PS2 connected directly to the monitor. So far i only have used the component cable for the GC (Just got the PS2 component cable today, try and post thoughts later). Initially using the composite for both, it works fine (using fill, havent tried 1:1 ). I was pretty happy with that but once i connected the component cable from the GC directly to the display, the difference was instant! The fuzzyness (dont know the tech' term) around the edges cleared up and the colors were slightly more vivid. Its was just plain clearer :P

Now im hanging to get the PS2 hooked up via component and compare the difference, im sure it will be similar to the GC. Also, in the market for HDTV tuner, nebula seems to be the one people are on about...

Oh, and no dead pixels :blink:

Just got this monitor 2 days ago and i must say i love it, by far the best monitor/LCD screen ive seen.

Its a pity i actually have to send the beauty back. It has a dead pixel aswell as a terrible squeal which appears after 1hr of use, usually triggered by a resolution change or source change. Both of theses problems were documented on other forums around the place (ive been using the pc for 3 hrs so far tonight and no high pitched hum yet, strange)

Once i get one without these problems (i hope only one replacement monitor is needed) this monitor is a keeper as it is perfect for my gameplaying aswell as a dvd and dtv screen

Update: as soon as i changed to component and back again the damn squeal reapeared, i guess i know what triggers it now.

Wont dell do an field replacement? I've had dell do that with a monitor before

Wont dell do an field replacement?  I've had dell do that with a monitor before

Supposedly this is what they will do it just takes a few days to authorize, then theres the fact that there arent many left on the shelves, so its a short wait at the moment.

Whats this "on field" replacement you mentioned, im a first time dell customer.

When I had a Dell monitor fail, they had their local rep come and deliver the new monitor and take away my old one

When I had a Dell monitor fail, they had their local rep come and deliver the new monitor and take away my old one

Local rep, how do i find one of those! After waiting on the phone in a queue for 20 min you get to speak to some indian or sri lankan persons worlds away who doesnt understand what you want. They do state a replacement policy but trying to get them to understand and to get it to happen has been futile so far. Im waiting for them to call me back on Monday with the techs outcome.

I didnt have to ask - they asked whether i would like to have my monitor replaced by a Tech.

I have been told by Dell sales that the 2405FPW cannot display 1080i in either 50Hz or 60Hz - not even via component input. Has anyone tried inputting 1080i via component, please?

So I bought the 2405FPW. It arrived today. It happily displays 1080i in both 50Hz and 60Hz from my HDV video camera (therefore I presume from other HD sources). Fantastic monitor, and the low price is a welcome bonus.

So I bought the 2405FPW. It arrived today. It happily displays 1080i in both 50Hz and 60Hz from my HDV video camera (therefore I presume from other HD sources). Fantastic monitor, and the low price is a welcome bonus.

Congrats on your purchase cyberacc. I've been coveting one of these beauties for months now.

Can you please elaborate whether your HDV camera was connected via DVI or component?

My HDV camera was connected via component input (in spite of the component input usually not being stated on the Dell Australia web site).

I have wanted one of these monitors for quite some time, but several recent articles discussing the forthcoming implementation of HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) has put the brakes on my purchase.

I want my display to handle the Playstation 3 without question when it comes out, and the fact that it will be the first mass market device with Blu-ray gives me the sneaking suspicion that it will also end up having HDCP in there too. While there are no certainties in this given that the final specs of the PS3 are not yet finalised, just the chance that these two devices won't get along has left me rather reticent to buy this screen, even at such an amazing price.