Sign in to follow this  
bigg

Dell 2405 FPW - 24'' Widescreen LCD comming soon

Have you noticed on Whirlpool that all of those monitors (that hadn't been delivered yet) were recalled due to poor quality? This is across the board, not just group buy orders.

What a load of bull, i order mine about 2 days before that group buy deadline, and from my online status page, the unit is built and tests and on it way to australia with an expected delivery date of next tuesday, after easter monday. Which is inline with their 7-10 working day policy. MrWolf has been very quiet and to be honest i think people have been had and or there will a lot of problems with getting their units and warranty/returns. Glad i didn't go in it, not worth saving 200 bucks to have more worries and stress and possibly be stuck with a faulty unit i can't exchange or return due to the dodgey invoices he was sending out.

hey mozmo.. how many times have you had to claim a warranty on an electrical good ??

hey mozmo.. how many times have you had to claim a warranty on an electrical good ??

......and who needs:-

life insurance, health insurance, building insurance, contents insurance??

......just ask anyone that has:-

died whilst being the "sole bread winner" leaving behind a young family; had a baby, etc etc: house flooded; house contents stolen. :blink:

Actually, in this case, I'm claiming on Dell warranty - actually, "damaged on arrival" - the monitor-stand is crooked.

However, I'm finding getting Dell to provide a replacement, even for something (relatively) mundane as a monitor-stand is like getting blood from stone.

Believe it or not, even after I sent them a picture, they're going to send a Dell engineer to look at the stand before any talk of replacement.

The disadvantage of dealing with an offshore/faceless company has become quite apparent to me.

:blink:

"the monitor-stand is crooked." hey!..... Alex as I've been googling a fair bit on this lcd (looking into is video inputs etc...).....you are not the only one as it turns out.......some people say they think its a manufacture prob' leaning up to 1cm

:P

"the monitor-stand is crooked." hey!..... Alex as I've been googling a fair bit on this lcd (looking into is video inputs etc...).....you are not the only one as it turns out.......some people say they think its a manufacture prob' leaning up to 1cm

That's about right (ie 1cm) ... Just when they 'fixed' the LCD technology, it's back to the drawing board with the stand - two steps forward, one step back.

Can you please provide a link to others with crooked stand - I might use it to tell Dell? Imagine that, sending an 'engineer' to verify my monitor-stand - seems more like a brush-off tactic to me.

Who said they don't need a warranty?

That's about right (ie 1cm) ... Just when they 'fixed' the LCD technology, it's back to the drawing board with the stand - two steps forward, one step back.

Can you please provide a link to others with crooked stand - I might use it to tell Dell? Imagine that, sending an 'engineer' to verify my monitor-stand - seems more like a brush-off tactic to me.

Who said they don't need a warranty?

www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944&page=58&pp=20&highlight=2405

ctrl c it... ctrl v it ( in internet window.... not a direct link) .............................................. the link for you Alex ...look in the middle of the thread

"""......Still having the sagging to the right problem. This appears to be structural with the stand, not related to the weight of the LCD. There's a lock on the swivel in the stand that prevents the LCD from turning too far left. I don't think adjusting the screw will make any difference because the lock is built right into the panel. Unfortunately, it stops a little to short, leading to the sagging. You can push down on the left side to straighten it, but it doesn't seem to stay that way. I'll try pushing down regularly to wear it in, or maybe hanging something heavy on the left side. ...............................

u gotta tighten the nut while forcing the swivel the other way......mine doesnt sag anymore, it can also be because i broke it in as well........."""""

Heh you want to go there do you, ok then.

First one of the most expensive purchases i did, a sony PFM 42B1 plasma, it had a 12 month warranty and i thought it's a sony it should be ok. Well around 20 months after i bought it, it developed a serious fault, ie transformer inside the plasma glass blew up making the unit unrepairable and dead. I basically **** myself when that happened, anyways after much protest/talking to the department of fair trading sony agree to replace the unit, very stressfull and i was glad and lucky all was well in the end, but i had to do a lot of fighting to get there.

Then there was an iriver portable mp3 player i bought recent, the hard drive in that crapped out and i got it replaced under warranty. Also there was a sony progressive scan dvd player which i discovered had a flaw in the laser pick up head that meant it failed to read certain dual layered dvd's, so managed to get that fixed under warranty. I've had motherboards flake out due to shitty capacitors and replaced under warranty, i've had an older projection tv that we used at my folks and that developed several faults that was covered under a extended warranty, I've got a dell 21inch crt that the new lcd is going to replace, about a year ago the fly back transformer went in that i had to get it replaced only $150 but still. I've had 2 xbox's that failed and were exchanged under warranty, a ps2 that failed outside of it's 12month warranty.

See my point? Maybe I'm unlucky maybe not i know others who had probably 1 in 4 electronic items they buy fail after a certain period, as you see with the day quality control is these days a warranty is a god send, especially with a new unproven product like say the 24inch dell, first time dell have made and to be honest none of us know how well the it will perform or develop faults after 12 months. That's why the warranty is important to me and I've learned that hard way.

I paid for a 80cm Sony in 1999 @ $2,995.

It failed just before Xmas 2003. The picture went - attempted repair and then failed again.

Fortunately due to other circumstances (break in and attempted theft of the set) my insurance company (home and contents policy) forwarded a cheque @ present market value.

I then went out and purchased a Samsung HD RPTV with the cheque money and added my own money toward the upgrade. The optics engine failed after 10 months and now it is in repair still after three weeks. :blink:

Warranties on such expensive items should never be compromised.

DA

Well I just got some horific news, my online order status told me that the unit was meant to be delivered today, i gave dell a call to confirm and now they're telling me that the online site is wrong and that they don't expect to get stock from the supplier until early may, around 4-6 weeks away, not f'ing happy. They've taken my cash and told me that i'd have the unit in 10 working, now this early may crap. I'm seriously considering just canceling my order and getting a refund, 6 weeks is a long time to wait. What do you guys reckon.

Well I just got some horific news, my online order status told me that the unit was meant to be delivered today, i gave dell a call to confirm and now they're telling me that the online site is wrong and that they don't expect to get stock from the supplier until early, around 4-6 weeks away, not f'ing happy. They've taken my cash and told me that i'd have the unit in 10 working, now this early may crap. I'm seriously considering just canceling my order and getting a refund, 6 weeks is a long time to wait. What do you guys reckon.

Do you think that you will get a better value 24" monitor within the next 6 weeks?

Welcome to the wonderful world of "offshored" customer service.

"Thank you, come again".

- sorry, I couldn't resist :blink:

The way i see it there is no advantage to them holding my dollars, if in 2 months it's still the best value i'll just order another one when their supply crisis has calmed down. Remember samsung makes this glass and show their version of the 24inch at ces, so in 2 months they may release a 24inch for the same money but with a better dead pixel policy and better backend electronics. You never know. I'm still considering what to do though.

And yes dealing with offshore customers service sucks, you pay for what you get i guess.

The way i see it there is no advantage to them holding my dollars, if in 2 months it's still the best value i'll just order another one when their supply crisis has calmed down. Remember samsung makes this glass and show their version of the 24inch at ces, so in 2 months they may release a 24inch for the same money but with a better dead pixel policy and better backend electronics. You never know. I'm still considering what to do though.

And yes dealing with offshore customers service sucks, you pay for what you get i guess.

Sorry mozmo, I thought that you had ordered through Mr Wolf's group buy, but upon reading back through the thread, I notice that you had thought better of it.

In that case, it might be worth getting your money back for the time being.... if they'll let you have it back. We all know that technology only gets cheaper.

I've been watching the price of these large screens from Benq and Samsung also and have been very surprised that they haven't brought down their pricing as yet. Maybe they've used their involvement in the construction of the Dell screen to sabotage the Dell supply chain so that they can pick up the dregs. :blink:

I've been watching the price of these large screens from Benq and Samsung also and have been very surprised that they haven't brought down their pricing as yet. Maybe they've used their involvement in the construction of the Dell screen to sabotage the Dell supply chain so that they can pick up the dregs.

Yeah i've wondered why they haven't reacted in their prices, it makes you wonder what they're up or maybe they just prefer to sell the parts to dell and let dell cop all the retail problems and distribution, maybe they make more money that way.

Sorry mozmo, I thought that you had ordered through Mr Wolf's group buy, but upon reading back through the thread, I notice that you had thought better of it.

In that case, it might be worth getting your money back for the time being.... if they'll let you have it back. We all know that technology only gets cheaper.

Yeah i was concerned about the warranty and also thought that going direct and paying more would mean not having to wait like mrwolf hinted.

Anyways it appears that just trying to cancel my order is going to be a battle, i've already been given the run around.

I doubt that Samsung could ever sell at same prices as Dell. Firstly, as I understand, Dell is unique in that they issue a tender for a product of their own concoction and OEM company that is able deliver on specification and price will get a humoungous order all without relying on OEM's customer support; secondly, local Samsung distributors, middle-men and retailers are too greedy.

The problem with Dell as I see it - firstly, they have been overwhelmed with orders for 2405FPW- I have never seen so much on-line space being dedicated to one product; secondly, they're treating Australians as they would Asians - with limited consideration - my feeling is that Dell's relationship with European and American customers is a notch higher - both in terms of delivery promises and after-sale support.

Whilst the above is conjecture, one thing is sure - this is best LCD monitor in the world, never mind the price (as far as consumer products go).

Right now, my bulky 29" CRT has been replaced by this baby, running DNTVLive! via HTPC. DNTVLive!, although, still in enthusiast-grade level of development, allows zooming to maximum size of monitor whilst maintaining correct aspect ratio - so, I'm getting most of 16:9 (with slight cropping on the sides) on the 2405FPW's 16:10 - a very nice compromise to utilise the whole monior which no STB (I know of) can do.

Looking around Alex there isn't anything that can match it for price and features, I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I think they've definately been overwhelmed with demand but just goes to show how there were alot of people waiting for a product like the 24inch at a reasonable price, for a long time these larger high res monitors were grossly overpriced. Fingers crossed it come sooner than they say.

DELL.com.au has removed 2405FPW from own web-site.

Whether this is due to very large order from Whirlpool users or re-pricing or something else, but it seems a bit unfair to the Australian custromers.

Whether this is due to very large order from Whirlpool users or re-pricing or something else, but it seems a bit unfair to the Australian custromers.

Its now back and at an incredibly reduced price....

Someone just ordered one for $1420 over the phone from DELL... no haggling.. thats only a small price more than the Whirlpool bulk buy.... I think they have a 20% special on all their LCD monitors at the moment...

Someone just ordered one for $1420 over the phone from DELL... no haggling.. thats only a small price more than the Whirlpool bulk buy.... I think they have a 20% special on all their LCD monitors at the moment...

Are you sure? I can't find it at all on DELL.com.au. Can you post a link?

Cheers,

morkli.

Are you sure? I can't find it at all on DELL.com.au. Can you post a link?

Cheers,

morkli.

Its been pulled again

Give them a call and they will offer it to you for $1430ish allow 6-8 weeks shipping

these monitors are in large demand

gw

Errr i did a post last night and now its not here :P

Anyway just asked if anyone knows if this monitor is 24bit colour or not? Havn't been in the loop with lcd's for a while and I remeber the first 16ms lcd's that came out were actually only capable of 256 colours but because the response was so fast they'd just show 2 different which would trick the eye into thinking it was showing the average of those colours thus displaying a colour it's not capable of.

Does this monitor use this trick to or does it actually prioduce 24bit colour with a 16ms response time?

And I saw mentioned a couple of times a 16:9 image is 11.1% thinner when filling the screen while it would actually be 11.1% fatter not thinner unless i'm totally losing my mind :blink:

It's true 24bit colour. You aren't going to find many computer panels with dithering in that price range anyway.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/Mon...M1/LTM240M1.htm

that's the panel

Anyone know what the dead pixel policy is?

Dell has a 15 day satisfaction peroid in which you can replace it.

And why would you get a 1280x768 monitor when you can get the dell. :blink:

Hi Alex I've just recieved my dell....but I was on my way to work at the time it was delivered :P ......the boxes are still in my living room so I'll have to wait to tonight to ty it out........ with a dvd via d-sub & componet hd tv ......thanx again for all your help :blink: