Sign in to follow this  
bigg

Dell 2405 FPW - 24'' Widescreen LCD comming soon

This sounds logical, does anyone know if this is right.  if I can connect even an SD STB via component to one of these babies, I would buy one tomorrow

I have already ordered it based on this assumption. The agent assured me (I have in writing) that this box will display 576i, 576p and 1080i @ 50Hz via component. Besides, Dell offer 2 weeks satisfaction guarantee.

This sounds logical, does anyone know if this is right.   if I can connect even an SD STB via component to one of these babies, I would buy one tomorrow

I have already ordered it based on this assumption. The agent assured me (I have in writing) that this box will display 576i, 576p and 1080i @ 50Hz via component. Besides, Dell offer 2 weeks satisfaction guarantee.

alex how much you paying for it?

currently whirlpool is sitting on a 1450 offer.

trying to go to 1300 thou :blink:

Bought @ $1650. Got call from delivery company that I'll receive it on Friday.

Just got delivery.. Set it up in office via D-sub.

All I can say is - pretty f*cking amazing. The screen real-estate brings a new dimension to computing.

Initial impressions - factory brightness is too much. Can't see any damaged pixels - amazing.

Well it looks like the Whirlpool Forum groupbuy has managed to get Dell to create a web e-value code where anyone can get this monitor for $1449.

It's a real bargain if anyones interesed. The code will be available in about an hour... more news as it comes to hand.

Well it looks like the Whirlpool Forum groupbuy has managed to get Dell to create a web e-value code where anyone can get this monitor for $1449.

It's a real bargain if anyones interesed. The code will be available in about an hour... more news as it comes to hand.

Recd an email from Dell this morning - $1599 (Price inc $200 Cash Off & Delivery)

Evalue code: M1403D24U - WEBAU

Valid to 16 March

I'll be watching for the even cheaper deal...

Alex,

Have you connected an STB up to your new DELL yet?

Ideally an STB with DVI out :blink:

About the order on of these monitors as soon as the code becomes available.

Have you connected an STB up to your new DELL yet?

I know that 2405FPW has Component and DVI-D and in theory it should be able to display TV-based input... However, DELL is marketting this toy as a computer monitor and not as a TV (- they have a separate LCD-TV line, although, limited in Australia). So, I'm not holding my breath to see 576i/576p/1080i@50Hz from an STB/DVD (even though I have it in writing from DELL agent). If it was guaranteed to work, why wouldn't DELL advertise this fact instead of just mentioning that it has YPrPb input in the specifications?

Of course, during the weekend, I will try both of my YCrCb sources - my DVD-player and Teac Itv-d500 and post about it, however, as per http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=...6&page=20&pp=20, I am pessimistic. At least S-video should work.

I have a grave doubts it would be able to handle DVI-D@50Hz - but that is just speculation at this stage.

In case you havn't heard, the Whirlpool deal has fallen apart. The response and publicity was too great (corporates complained about being ripped off by the low prices).

And even if you were to order, who knows how long it might be before you get delivery.

:blink:

In case you havn't heard, the Whirlpool deal has fallen apart. The response and publicity was too great (corporates complained about being ripped off by the low prices).

And even if you were to order, who knows how long it might be before you get delivery.

One of three deals has fallen apart, not the whole thing... Patience is good :P

If you read between the lines, the whole deal is pretty much stuffed. (Even Christopher's coupon code has been withdrawn!)

But as you say, time will tell.

As someone who's wasted far too much time already following this deal, I don't intend to waste any more.

Although, I eagerly await Alex's report on what he got upto on the weekend (that relates to his new DELL monitor of course)

Alex, why not get a computer instead of a STB then, 2ghz with a decent graphic cards is all you need for 1080i mpeg 2.

Noise, for one thing.

Booting-up / Shutting-down

The KISS principle.

But a computer has great flexblity, you can game and play more video formats on it.

Can't access this via the "e-value" code but the link in Dell's email (text below) still gets you into the purchase page with the $1599 price:

DellTM 24" UltraSharpTM Wide Screen Flat Panel

Watch widescreen video or view two windows side by side - ideal for video editing, graphic design and gaming!

AU$1,799*

AU$1,599* Price inc $200 Cash Off & Delivery

Price valid to 16/03/2005

E-VALUE CODE M1403D24U - WEBAU

BUY NOW: http://203.18.194.195/StarComLogger/link.a...prd_id%3d344879

FYI: Specs on the Australian site do not list component input (even though the monitor has these connections) - I reckon this is because this monitor will not sync to PAL input at 50hz - so alas for those like me who would like it to do double duty - PC and PS2/digital TV).

Anyone had success with PAL DVD or digital TV STB via component? I'd love to be proven wrong.

But a computer has great flexblity, you can game and play more video formats on it.

A lot of ppl prefer the simplicity, reliability and convenience of a regular DVD player.

For what it's worth, I used to have a mental HTPC setup with my 1366x768 projector, but ended up decomissioning it, and reverted to a regular DVD player.

Why?

Put simply, a HTPC is more hassle than it's worth. I ended up spending more time fiddling with the PC than actually watching movies.

I also found that the scaler in the projector was just as good as the HTPC, so the image quality from a DVD player was equivalent.

Plus theres factors of boot up, ability of girlfriend and guests to operate it, driver updates, heat, noise, windows errors etc etc.

Now, we just load the DVD player, sit back on the couch with a bottle of wine. It just works. First time, every time.

Back to the good old days.

Well Alex,

will a STB work, have got my finger on the Dell order number, if it works with a STB, preferably with DVI, but component would be OK, then I'm buying.

I plan to use it first up as a bedroom TV with a STB, but as better models come out (better contrast mainly), will replace the bedroom tv and use this monitor as it was intended, on a computer.

This is what I've been trying to find out for a while now, i want to purchase the unit but it would be great if owners could use a stb and pump in 576p/1080i 50hz signals into the unit. From feedback in the states it appears to support 60hz hd signals ok.

Enough, Does this screen work from a STB via DVI or Dsub at 50Hz?

Yes or no.

It should, my Dell 2001FP will. Most computer monitors should handle 50hz.

Hey Alex,

I've read reports that the australian models of this monitor don't come with component in - is that true?

I plan to use Component In for my Xbox, DVI for a HD-STB - and still have plenty of ports left over.

As you can probably guess, the screen is destined for the living room - not study.

Thanks...

Alex I'm also wondering how this lcd works with hd trasmissions using a set top box & component dvd players.....how are the blacks in a room with mood lighting as I usually watch dvds with the lighting dimer on low levels ...thanx for any info you can give......

OK, so, as promised, I've tested the screen with both S-video and YPrPb output from my Teac Itv-d500 SDTV STB. The results are both good and bad news...

The good news is that the 2405FPW synced to both S-video and YPrPb - no problem.. The proof of the pudding is the

attachment. The bad news - I couldn't figure out how to display it in 16:9... The monitor has 3 scaling options in "Image Setting" control - 1:1, Fill and Aspect but I couldn't get 16:9 with neither of them. With "Fill", I could get close, but obviously 16:10 isn't 16:9.