Dell 2405 FPW - 24'' Widescreen LCD comming soon

With SD signals ASPECT will asume a 4:3 image and scale as such, although using fill imo isn't a problem, 16:9->16:10 isn't much of a distortion and probably ok. But 720p/1080i are 16:9 signals and the aspect scaling option should do proper 16:9 on the display, ie small black borders on the top and bottom. This is feedback i've gotten from ntsc users and 480p. I'm glad it synced with 576p and 50hz signals, good news since I've placed an order for one myself. So it's just an issue with SD signals, the aspect option assumes pixels are square, so SD resolution which isn't a square pixel will cause some issues with the aspect option. BTW thanks alex for the confirmation.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... So it's just an issue with SD signals, the aspect option assumes pixels are square, so SD resolution which isn't a square pixel will cause some issues with the aspect option. ...

Well, for your sake, I hope you're right - please write back to forum to tell us how it went.

Hey Alex,

I've read reports that the australian models of this monitor don't come with component in - is that true?

I plan to use Component In for my Xbox, DVI for a HD-STB - and still have plenty of ports left over.

As you can probably guess, the screen is destined for the living room - not study.

Thanks...

They must have component.

A tech guy from Dell told me it will do hd on component but not dvi but he could not tell me why.

I asked him what is the dvi cable they send with the unit and he told me it is single link.

I remember reading somewhere that you need the duel link cable to get hd

There may not be much difference between component and DVI - except for the fact that you want to be able to have both devices connected at once.

If I'm playing Xbox and then want to watch TV, I don't want to have to fumble with cables.

I plan to buy a HD-STB with DVI out - so if the monitor can't display a HD signal via DVI, I'm in trouble.

Thanx for the info Alex.....I'm curious to know what is your primary use for this lcd.......If I buy one it will be used as a hd monitor for set top box & dvds in the bed room......now I had a AWA for only 1 day & took it back as the back lighting was too bright washing out the blacks when the only lighting in the room was my bed side light....I googled on this problem & one of the answers was to put a subdued lighting source next to the screen.......now the dell IS a different animal to the AWA so the screen should do alot better in this regard...any input for you would be great......OH dear I have only one day before the price changes.....If I read it correctly its about $1600 delivered.......KEEP us posted on your impressions of this lcd as I'm verrry interested in buying one......thanx

... So it's just an issue with SD signals, the aspect option assumes pixels are square, so SD resolution which isn't a square pixel will cause some issues with the aspect option. ...

Well, for your sake, I hope you're right - please write back to forum to tell us how it went.

Alex,

You're in Tasmania, right? That makes things difficult.

I was wondering whether there was anyway the DBA forums could show their might and get someone with a HD-STB w/ DVI out to pay a visit to Alex and see whether it works with his display.

Or perhaps a friendly supplier who would send him a demo HD-STB for a few days - I'd even pay for the freight!!

:blink:

Firstly, the monitor is brilliant - end of story. At work I'm currently using my old 17" HP 1730 and it's way step back in terms of colours, contrast and just sheer size of desktop.

Secondly, DVI-D is way better than D-sub, at least on my Ti4200. Obviously, it's not day & night, but it's obvious - for sure there is less ghosting. It difficult to go back to D-sub after using DVI-D, even though Ti4200 seems to have problems with DXva on DVI-D, so, I have to use software video decoders.

Thirdly, when you have a monitor this good, almost all source look crap. Even using DNTVLive! to view HD #9, which is 1920x1080i, you will quickly see just how crappy the broadcast is. Just when you think there's something wrong with the monitor, then you play HD-WMV clips (or even HD-DIVX5) and then you're just blown away! Crystal-clear & razor-sharp!

I live in Melbourne, so, if anyone wants to try their HDTV STB decoder, please PM me.

" I could get close, but obviously 16:10 isn't 16:9."....... so Alex does this mean that the image is still OK or are the horizontals stretched as would happen if a 4.3 image fills the screen or are the images slightly stretched in the verticals when using the sd box :blink:

"I could get close, but obviously 16:10 isn't 16:9."....... so Alex does this mean that the image is still OK or are the horizontals  stretched as would happen if a 4.3 image fills the screen or are the images slightly stretched in the verticals when using the sd box

4:3 input is no problem because you can use "Aspect" scaling option in "Image Setting" control to correct it. In other words, if I tell my STB to display "letterbox" or "scan&pan", (which tells it that I have a 4:3 display) and set scaling option to "Aspect" then the picture would be scaled correctly - you'll get get black bars on left and right.

The problem is only with 16:9 - basically, 2405FPW doesn't have "Fit to 16:9" (or "Fit to widescreen") scaling option! :blink:

This may not be a problem with a HD box.

You just select 1:1 and you are pretty close to native res - no "fitting" needed. And as for SD broadcasts, can't you tell the HD STB to upscale them?

So, would it be fair to say that WS broadcasts at SD-res maybe a problem, but if the image you're trying to display is HD (whether upscaled or not) widescreen shouldn't be a problem.

You must have a HD-STB though.

Correct?

(makes this monitor's ability to handle HD via DVI even more important!)

This may not be a problem with a HD box.

:

You just select 1:1 and you are pretty close to native res - no "fitting" needed.

If your STB can output 1080i, then (in theory, since I haven't tried it) "1:1" will give you true full-screen widescreen. However, what of #4+3's 576p (if you use Teac 800 with output=source mode) or upscaling DVD-players which provide 720p - you cannot use "1:1" scaling in this case.

2405FPW should have had a "Fit to 16:9"/"Fit to widescreen" to scale everything to 1920x1080 mode - I cannot understand why Dell didn't do it, unless their scaling chip couldn't do it.

Anyways, in practice you could tilt 2405FPW at [arcsin(9/10)=] 65 degrees and get perfect 16:9 when viewing from front! :blink:

"I could get close, but obviously 16:10 isn't 16:9."....... "

alex does this mean that if I put a dvd (576i) in 16.9 aspect that it elongates the verticles a bit but you also have the screen filled using one of your aspect controls................and how are the blacks........thanx in advance

"I could get close, but obviously 16:10 isn't 16:9."....... "

alex does this mean that if I put a dvd (576i) in 16.9 aspect that it  elongates the verticles a  bit but you also have the screen filled using one of your aspect controls................and how are the blacks........thanx in advance

Max, the "Fill" scaling mode takes the input (whatever it is - component, S-video, composite) and stretches it across the full panel. Obviously, if the input is 4:3, then you'd get a completely distorted picture (everyone would be fatter, by exactly 33% on each side), however, for this task, 2405FPW has an "Aspect" scaling mode, which displays 4:3 input correctly.

However, 16:9 input would need to be scaled to 1920x1080 in order maintain correct aspect ratio, however, this isn't available - "Fill" stretches everything to full panel, ie. 1920x1200 (so, everyone is thinner, exactly by 11.1%).

None of these scaling modes ("Fill", "Aspect" and "1:1") are variable - they're all fixed, so, you cannot adjust anything.

Blacks are fine - obviously not "dead-black" but blacker than any LCD panel I've seen before - not really an issue.

Since doing the original YPrPb test using my ITV-D500, I've noticed a problem in terms of picture cropping - I'm not sure who's at fault the STB or 2405FPW - see my post in ITV-D500 forum

thanx alex for the info.......just rang dell...malasia...said the would do it for 1650 now...... this display is for dvds....hds stb as their sources.... are they just at little thin or is it bad thin if you khow what I mean ......... will read your other post now

thanx alex for the info.......just rang dell...malasia...said the would do it for 1650 now...... this  display is for dvds....hds stb as their sources.... are they just at little thin or is it bad thin if you khow what I mean ......... will read your other post now

11.1% thinner! It's not bad, and as I said, you cna alway rotate the panel back a little which reduces this distortion if viewing from front. The more serious issue is the cropping, which I have discribed.

have you tried a dvd component input... to see if it shows the same croping problem....... but you said that s video is ok....... on the dg...tec at work their was a adjustment for its horizontal & vertical display window ie moving it up down left right........any way s.video works I think that what you said......so it may be just your component out put :ph34r:

have you tried a dvd component input...  to see if it shows the same croping problem....... but you said that s video is ok....... on the dg...tec at work their was a adjustment for its horizontal & vertical display window ie moving it up down left right........any way s.video works I think that what you said......so it may be just your component out put :ph34r:

I do have a DVD-player :blink:! However, that bugger is difficult to remove from its current location that I'm disheartened at the prospect. I'll wait to see if anyone from ITV-D500 forum can respond - that STB has been faultless so far, so, I'm having hard-time believing it's faulty now that I'm finally using YPrPb. Yes, with S-video, there's no cropping, but the picture is far worse than YPrPb as you can imagine - not subtle difference at all.

as i work as an editor for aunty the over scan is about 5% ALL AROUND THE SCREEN I see it often at work......but what I'm getting at is at one stage I aligned my 200a (gomenty problems) & found the over scan image ...now the next time you watch tv look for a bug 7 or 9 notice its location on the screen & then there location compared on the two inputs & see if the verticle timing is the issue

alex if you go to the wirlpool forum where they they are setting up a bulk buy (in this thred) & then do a search for your monitor model no' you will find a link to a user guide on page 13 you will find a setting for horizontal & vertical positioning for each of the inputs this may well help your croping problem