Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Get The Best Reception Regional Nsw

the narrow band laceys.tv antenna probably referred to by 'tazzie2heads' can be seen here

frequency response traces for it and its cousin matched to the continuing aussie tv bands can be seen here

this was an e-newsletter from them which can be subscribed to here and links to past ones are visible down the page

laceys.tv ship nationally daily, but in cooma a laceys.tv reseller is apa

Hi guys,

I have just relocated from Sydney to Bakker Drive, Bonville, NSW and according to the mySwitch site get my DTV signals from the Boambee/Sawtell transmitter, the coverage here being "good". The old owner used to use a booster attached to a huge old analogue antenna to get his free to air TV from, which still sits on top of the roof.

Just plugging in my TV to the antenna I get a big fat zero channels found, and would be grateful if someone could advise what type/model of adigital antenna I should be looking at to get decent reception here? I'm hoping I can replace the gigantic thing that currently resides on the roof with something far smaller and dedicated to the task.

Alternatively any recommendations for anyone here who knows what they are doing would be appreciated.

U9026a,

The old antenna is probably pointed at Mt Moombi and that signal is not very strong where you are.. The translators you suggest may be much newer than the installation you have. It is likely that the system may also be faulty.

Firstly if there is an amplifier you need to remove the power supply which is between the TV and the wall and is plugged into a power point. You should also check the condition of the cabling outside particularly. Quad shielded coaxial cable is the standard for DTV. The amplifier near the antenna should also be removed.

http://hillsantenna.com.au/Products/Product_subcat/Product?cat=15&ProductID=3020 will work for both Optus Monopole Toormina Water Reservoir Off Belbowrie Road TOORMINA. This is a set of low powered translators on channels 46 - 51. The main very high powered transmitter is Broadcast Mast 26 km WSW of Coffs Harbour MOUNT MOOMBIL on channels 34 - 39.

Remember you have to go to the install menu of the receiver and do a new scan for channels as they are different in Sydney, Toormina. If you wish to rotate the antenna to Mt Moombil you will have to rescan for channels again. Remember that the programs on Mt Moombil and Toormina are identical.

Alanh

Thanks Alan, that certainly looks a much daintier specimen than the laviathon I currently have.

So just to clarify....do you think the Mt Moombil transmitter @ 150Kw but 80k away would be better than the Toormina (Boambee) transmitter @ 500W which is about 9k away? Or is that a "how long's a piece of string" question?

Thanks

Edited by u9026a

u9026a,

Even though you are closer to the Boambee/Sawtell Transmitter I know the area around Bonville, and there can be problems with Trees or Hills (not knowing your exact location). The best advice I can give is to get a qualified antenna installer to come and have a look at your location and use a signal meter to determine the best possible transmitter and location on your roof. That way the correct antenna can be selected for your location and be pointed at the best possible transmitter to give you consistent error free reception.

A local appraisal of your location is always the best option.

Hi Steve,

Yes, I know I should get a 'man' in, but I've had experience before of so called "experts" who basically turn up with no equipement then proclaim that I should get xyz antenna, without having tested anything. So if anyone knows a proper antenna guy in or around Coffs Harbour, I'd be grateful for the tip.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

Yes, I know I should get a 'man' in, but I've had experience before of so called "experts" who basically turn up with no equipement then proclaim that I should get xyz antenna, without having tested anything. So if anyone knows a proper antenna guy in or around Coffs Harbour, I'd be grateful for the tip.

Cheers

A good local is BelloTV, he used to be active on this forum....I haven't seem any post from him for a while.

Based on where you are, I don't think you will be able to get the new Toormina Tx.

Edited by CMatten

Is there a site/location one can visit, to see if there is a problem at your terrestrial tv transmission point?

e.g. Can I look anywhere to see if Mt. Moombil (2450 reception area) is experiencing any problems/work or whatever, that may be causing reception issues?

My reception is as per normal, however many residents in Bellingen/Orara Valley etc, that use Mt Moombil, are reporting bad pixelation, and don't know how to find out if it is a possible transmission problem?

Thank you

Edited by viewer1503559544