Get The Best Reception Regional Nsw

Guest kate_dee
You can go round in circles trying to tune in a digital signal on internal antennas .

If they are not in the right position there is nothing being picked up for the tuner to "lock" onto.Without a "pretuned" channel ,you can't find where to position them .

If possible,see if you can take your laptop to somewhere where there is a known good antenna (preferably an outside one) ,plug this into your laptop and tune your channels on that.

Once back in your room,you can plug your indoor antenna in and move it around until you find a place where it might work.

My experience with USB stick tuners and indoor antennas is that they suck.

USB stick and many PC tuner cards usually need more signal that Set top box's or TV's with built in digital tuners generally need to work and this is compounded by the fact that indoor antennas generally scrape the bottom of the barrel regarding strong clean signals.

TV signals and in particular UHF ones as you are trying to receive don't penetrate buildings very well.

You may find that an outdoor UHF antenna will work better indoors than some tricky dick indoor antenna but it must be mounted vertical for the transmitter you are aiming for.

Another trick that may help is to borrow an analog TV (or try the analog tuner in the stick if it has one) and see if you can get some analog channels first. Use this to help find a "better "position for your indoor antenna and then try another digital rescan.

Hope this helps ,Bellotv

Thanks BelloTV. I'll see if I can test the signal via the Common-room TV's antenna. Hopefully its pointed towards Little Duval, otherwise I'm screwed. The Eyetv is Digital only, as a Hybrid was well and truly outside of my budget. Other people have been able to connect via Digital cards in my dorm, so here's hoping this is fixable!!

Thank you!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Evening all,I have been following the forum for ages and now need some advise and assistance....thanks.

We reside in OPeak Hill right behind the open cut that blocks us from Mt.Canobolas.We rely on retransmission here which as present is diguital from Mt.canobolas and analogue to our sets,BUT we have a smart (we think) firey who is going around and pointing antenna north and being able to transmit didital fro notrth somewhere.

I am seeking to know where and who north of Peak Hill is sending a digital signal towards us.We are able to ponmt our antenna north BUT who is ending the signal is it Coonabarabran.Dubbo,Gilganddra or where.I am fuklkly able to turn the antenna as I am able to do the same for many residents in peak Hill.

The ones that live south of the Newell Highway we have successfully pointed antenna towards Mt.Canobolas,BUT the ones that reside north of Peak Hill and have clear line of sight north are missing out.

Can some one advise as to who north is sending out a digital signal,.

UI have GPS so a conmpass reading,or even a location is all I require.

Can some one assist in this.

Thanks heaps

Evening all,I have been following the forum for ages and now need some advise and assistance....thanks.

We reside in OPeak Hill right behind the open cut that blocks us from Mt.Canobolas.We rely on retransmission here which as present is diguital from Mt.canobolas and analogue to our sets,BUT we have a smart (we think) firey who is going around and pointing antenna north and being able to transmit didital fro notrth somewhere.

I am seeking to know where and who north of Peak Hill is sending a digital signal towards us.We are able to ponmt our antenna north BUT who is ending the signal is it Coonabarabran.Dubbo,Gilganddra or where.I am fuklkly able to turn the antenna as I am able to do the same for many residents in peak Hill.

The ones that live south of the Newell Highway we have successfully pointed antenna towards Mt.Canobolas,BUT the ones that reside north of Peak Hill and have clear line of sight north are missing out.

Can some one advise as to who north is sending out a digital signal,.

UI have GPS so a conmpass reading,or even a location is all I require.

Can some one assist in this.

Thanks heaps

Two possibilities I'd reckon

* Buninyong Hill, north-east of Dubbo (though it is only low power)

* Mt Cenn Cruaich, in the Warrumbungles (which is a high power transmitter).

...I feel that at Dubbo,this spot is still now only used for ham radio repeaters...

According to the ACMA listings, Buninyong Hill does have the full suite of Digital channels (I have no idea whether they would be receivable in your location, however):

----------------------------------

SBS 55 (718.625 MHz) - (SBS)

ABQN 58 (739.625 MHz) - (ABC)

CBN 61 (760.625 MHz) - (PRIME)

WIN 64 (781.5 MHz) - (WIN)

CTC 67 (802.5 MHz) - (SC10)

----------------------------------

All these services are horizontally polarised.

Cheers,

ChaosMaster.

Edited by ChaosMaster

Morning ChaosMaster,

Thanks for your information.I was aware of those outputs as they are also located at Sappa Bulga Rd (same location) as every other TX position for Dubbo.

99% of TV transmission out here believe it or not are vertical,so it appears that we will have to adjust our antenna to horizontal to work.

We have retransmission from Mt.Canobolas which is Vertical for Prime,WINTV,Southern Cross Broadcasting (10) and Auntie (ABC),so will revert back to horizontal.....

Will get onto the roof over the weekend,as I have a couple of amateur antennas to relocate and we shall see what happens.....watch this space.

Peter,

Go to the first post in this strand and open the transmitter list. It is in regions so you can see all digital transmitters in each region including yours. You will notice that Peak Hill will be getting a set of digital transmitters in the second half of next year or early in the next year.

Mt Cenn Cruaich 172 km 27 degrees true azimuth

Dubbo 70 km 41 degrees true azimuth

With such distances this is why your town will be getting a set of digital translators with ABC NSW, SBS, Prime, WIN and Southern Cross.

AlanH

Evening alanh,

We are fully aware of all the hoopla about this BUT we have retransmission towers here in Peak Hill and we are not included in this program.We have been ionformed by Parkes Council (we are under the auspices of Parkes) that due to the fact that we have thr retransmission outlets here in Peak Hill that it is up to WINTV and also Prime TV as to when the change over is to be done.All that is needed here is a set top box digital in to digital out.We know this as a matter of fact BUT we are trying to involve Parkes Council along with the TV stations in Orange to change over the equipment.Many of our towbnfold have digital TV by aiming their TV antenna at Orange which is successful,BUT those that reside behind or near the Open Cut Experience are blocked by this mount and are seeking an alternative.....we ae not trying to beat the system only trying to assist in getting a better service sooner rather than later.

One has to live here to know what is occuring.

Anyway the information supplied by ACMA is out of date and is in need of updating as does the Government information.

We as Amateur Radio Operators have already offered to install the equipment BUT we are now waiting for Orange & Parkes Council to approve the move and upgrade the digital equipment.

I reside on the norther aspect of town,I am blocked by the mountain,so thefore like many others are heading towards Dubbo for transmission .

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks,just installed a 'digital' antenna poked in the direction of Dubbo and hey guess what ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all.

Can some one supply me please with a correct compass reading for Dubbo transmitting site,as Dubbo Council dont have a clue.

Thanks

Edited by PeterWH

Well folks,just installed a 'digital' antenna poked in the direction of Dubbo and hey guess what ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all.

Can some one supply me please with a correct compass reading for Dubbo transmitting site,as Dubbo Council dont have a clue.

Thanks

alanh gave you an approximate bearing from Peak Hill to the Dubbo transmission site of "70 km 41 degrees true azimuth".

I say approximate, as it would depend on the exact location of your receiving antenna, but generally 40-45 deg 'true' azimuth.

The type of antenna, how it's mounted, the terrain and distance between you and the transmission site and the power of the transmitters all contribute to whether it's practical to pursue trying to receive signals from Dubbo.

The fact you have local translators is probably evidence that reception from Dubbo is not likely to be reliable, if achievable at all.

The networks are responsible for ensuring you have access to all digital channels available locally by the full analogue switch-off, of 31 Dec 2013.

Unfortunately, there are numerous towns in the same predicament nationally and funding and installing the required transmitters may take a while.

If for some reason, Peak Hill won't have digital terrestrial translators installed, the VAST satellite service will be made available to you.

Sorry BUT they arent.We have retransmission equipment here,which is directed directly at Mt.Canobolas.I know this as I reside here and Parkes Council,along with WINTV,Prime & a bunch of Amateur radio operators,me included,know that there are set top boxes at the retransmission site,BUT have filters in them,so that we get digital into the set top boxes and analogue out,BUT in saying this if residents reside south of Peak Hill they are able to swing their antennas to antennas to Mt.Canobolas and receive digital signal,and if you reside north,BUT a clear direct route to Dubbo then one can rceive digital signal,BUT me,well I reside behind a hill,but will keep on trying.

Unless you reside here you dont have a cluee what is going on,and this business about the TV station supplying us with digital in 2013 is utter rubbish.It is a metter of changing set top boxes,they know it,we know it,BUT Parkes Council have better things to do with thier money than spend it supplying us withdigital.

They have it in Parkes,BUT again,who really cares about Peak Hill,we just pay our rates & taxes and sit back and shut up....NO THANK you.

If I am able to get an accurate rerady on Buniyong Hill (Dubbo Council wont supply it,) then I can assist people out.

Yes I am a technician (retired) and dont need people to tell us what we are getting and what we arent.

PeterWH,

It is the broadcasters who have promised to install digital repeaters as part of a deal with the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy. The Department is paying for satellite hire and the broadcasters pay for a number of digital repeaters. Peak Hill is one of them.

The Parkes Shire Council does not have to do anything but decommission their transmitters after the analog switchoff in your area.

Digital repeaters do not use set top boxes. The translator will shift the incoming digital channels to an intermediate frequency. It will be filtered and then upconverted to the translators' output frequency. A power amplifier is then used to feed the antenna. A filterplexer is used to combine the output of 5 transmitters to give all channels.

The only demodulation and decompression is used for monitoring only.

List of Self help sites to be replaced by broadcaster funded translators

The existing transmitter licences are only for analog transmissions. You will need digital licences before you can go on air. You will need to contact www.ACMA.gov.au and ask. Otherwise you will have an illegal set of transmitters.

There is no guarantee that the RF channels used for analog will be the same for digital.

AlanH

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I will be installing a new antenna and LCD tv in my in laws home in Narrabri (NSW) next weekend, and as I'm taking what gear I'll need with me from The Gold Coast I was hoping that some knowledgable people in here could advise me on what antenna is best suited for Narrabri?

I'll be running new RG6 cable, along with F-type connections and a 2 way spliter, and I've been advised by a sales person at Harvey Norman Moree that Narrabri has one of the best DTV receptions in the area (although he knew nothing about antenna's).

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Peter,

Your Gold Coast antennas will be useless in Narrabri.

Read the first post in this strand including the transmitter list link. In that link all the NSW transmitters are listed by region. Look at the NW slopes area. You can check the coverage areas of the transmitters by the second link in my post Coverage areas. Insert the transmitter locations into its search engine.

On the table there is an antenna category. In the main post, click on the category for a list of possible antennas. These names link to their manufacturers.

AlanH

Peter,

Your Gold Coast antennas will be useless in Narrabri.

Read the first post in this strand including the transmitter list link. In that link all the NSW transmitters are listed by region. Look at the NW slopes area. You can check the coverage areas of the transmitters by the second link in my post Coverage areas. Insert the transmitter locations into its search engine.

On the table there is an antenna category. In the main post, click on the category for a list of possible antennas. These names link to their manufacturers.

AlanH

Thanks Alan,

Sounds easy when you say it :) I'm normally pretty good with this sort of thing but I ended up with 24 (okay maybe a slight exaggeration) screens open, and couldn't find Narrabri anywhere? Maybe I had a "male look".

After a couple of attemps I "think" a H34+ is what I'll be needing? If that's the case they look at lot like phased array atenna's which I can get locally MUCH cheaper than in Narrabri.

Thanks again for your quick response, I'll dive back in and have another look (this time a female look).

Peter

Peter,

I would assume that coverage would come from the Mt Dowe high power transmitter. So H34+ is correct. Click on this in my post and pick one of the types there.

AlanH

Thanks Alan....will do.

It seems strange to me though that under the H34+ section there are at least two types of antenna design. I understand one is for fringe area's (phased array), I don't think Narrabri would come under that catagory seeing as the transmission tower is "high power" and quite close, but the non fringe antenna ...say a NAS ANTSBUN3S, seems to be a hybrid VHF-UHF antenna and seeing as Narrabri has full DTV now I'm not sure I understand why this type of antenna would fit the bill?

I guess what I'm asking for Alan is for your eminent advice. Under H34+ there are several options, the question is......"which one would you choose"? I'm travelling 700km's to do this "little" job and would really like to do it right :)

Peter

I guess what I'm asking for Alan is for your eminent advice. Under H34+ there are several options, the question is......"which one would you choose"? I'm travelling 700km's to do this "little" job and would really like to do it right :)

Peter

What antenna you need depends in how much signal is available .

The only way to find out is by measuring it with a field strength meter

If you use the high gain antenna in a high signal area you risk possible signal overload of the tuner.

If you use the lower gain antenna and the signal strength in your area is low then you risk problems due to insufficient signal.

In reality,the difference in gains between to two will be nothing compared to the change in levels that occur as the position of the antenna is chosen.

If you really want it right,get out a local antenna installer that has a digital meter

They will also be able to fit better hex or compression fittings as apposed to the twist ons you will likely use.

The other reason is that where the best position is found will require certain mounting hardware.

It may be 1 meter off the roof or up to several meters,guyed or staybars.

Edited by bellotv

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I will be installing a new antenna and LCD tv in my in laws home in Narrabri (NSW) next weekend, and as I'm taking what gear I'll need with me from The Gold Coast I was hoping that some knowledgable people in here could advise me on what antenna is best suited for Narrabri?

I'll be running new RG6 cable, along with F-type connections and a 2 way spliter, and I've been advised by a sales person at Harvey Norman Moree that Narrabri has one of the best DTV receptions in the area (although he knew nothing about antenna's).

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Peter, Narrabri is in the shadow of the Mt kaputar Platau (Mt Dowe/Upper namoi) TV Reception is verry strong and all you will need is a basic Muti band VHF/UHF Combo & that will do just fine. B)

In fact TV reception is that good in Narrabri that some people don't even have external antennas on there houses :D

http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequenc...43&presdir=

Edited by RayDio

• 1 year later...

hi... i can currently get all channals except sbs on my tuner in my lcd tv aka LG 42LK450-TA... i live in cooma nsw... the thing is i want a set top box that is the same or better as my tuner in my tv... if i get a rank arena hd set top box with usb recording will i get all the channels i know i can pick up or will it be worse then my tv tuner?... also im useing an indoor antena cos my outdoor one only picks up like 5 channels and my indoor picks up all except sbs thing is i live in a unit/joint house/im sharing my antena with others attached to my house so yeah... i would like an outdoor ariel as good or better then my indoor one but my real estate/the peeps i pay rent to/etc. don't understand why im getting poor reception and think the arial is fine when its not and im scared to pay for a new better one to be installed cos i might get ripd off and it be no better then the one that is currently there not to mention id have to pay to link it to everyone elses house making it cost more/more expensive :(... wat should i do?... i ended up signing up for the household assistance scheme/digital switch over telling the truth but im not eligible for an antena ; ; only a set top box but i left a note stating i can only get 5 chanals on my outdoor arial and every chanal except sbs on my indoor arial even tho my area coverage is good and i should be able to get all channals -sigh- oh well at least i know this set top box will be as good if not better then my tuner in my tv :S... when they comeover perhaps i can pay them to install an antenna myself idk...

Edited by Melissa George

Hi Melissa,

The reason you're not receiving SBS, is because it's not transmitting yet from the main transmitter site on Mt Roberts.

Depending where you are in Cooma, you may be able to receive SBS and all the other channels from the Cooma Town translators, which are located at the Telstra Site, Radio Hill Off Polo Flat Rd Cooma.

Depending on the compatability of your existing roof mounted antenna, the direction it's pointing and the terrain between your antenna and the translators, so it's possible by realigning the antenna, you may be able to receive all channels. And so too would others who share the antenna, but from your description, the roof mounted antenna and/or distribution needs some work.

You could try manually entering the SBS frequency from Cooma Town, which is 802.500MHz