Sign in to follow this  
TechnoPhobe

Cheap 66cm widescreen LCD

If you miss out on getting one, ask for a raincheck. That way, if they do get more in, you'll be guaranteed of getting one and guaranteed it will be at the same price. If you change your mind, you can always say no when they call to tell you it's available.

After getting home with mine yesterday I had only a little time to set it up before going to work....

If you think it looks good with the composite video then try the component input!

I have the input feed for the video and DVD via composite through my turner amp and the pic is great, then I connected the DVD (fairly cheap one) via component and switched between sources to see the difference.

The PQ via component is mind blowing!

Now I have to go out and get a HD set-top box to get the full benefit of this screen with TV. Though I would much rather wait until to Topfeild 7000 is available ;-)

Shame there is only one component input, hopefully what I get has a DVI output.

Bought one this afternoon.....and had it hooked up via DVI with LG HD-STB LST4100P, the picture looks great and the ratio is correct too..whereas I found by using component setup the screen is not centre more toward the right side.....

The HD picture quality is very similar to my 30" LCD, but the only thing I didnt like is the  screen gets pretty hot  and when switch off the screen seem to be on still and if you look inside the panel from the top, there are still lights on......is it normal??

Ive looked in mine and I cant see any lights but Ill check tonight when its dark.

Angelo

Thank you for checking yours....I took it back this morning and got another one no question ask...that's the beauty of BigW! also bought a TEAC DV-B800 for $350 and a DVI-D cable for $20, all work really well.....but I found the LG HD-STB give finer picture than TEAC...the TEAC seems to be more dotty and jumpy.....has anyone hook it up with TEAC HD?

Just got a call from my local Big W, they will be getting more stock in on Wednesday so it wasn't just a one-off import batch. Good news for those who still want one :blink:

awa66 where di you get the dvi cable from

Bought one this afternoon.....and had it hooked up via DVI with LG HD-STB LST4100P, the picture looks great and the ratio is correct too..whereas I found by using component setup the screen is not centre more toward the right side.....

The HD picture quality is very similar to my 30" LCD, but the only thing I didnt like is the  screen gets pretty hot  and when switch off the screen seem to be on still and if you look inside the panel from the top, there are still lights on......is it normal??

Ive looked in mine and I cant see any lights but Ill check tonight when its dark.

Angelo

Thank you for checking yours....I took it back this morning and got another one no question ask...that's the beauty of BigW! also bought a TEAC DV-B800 for $350 and a DVI-D cable for $20, all work really well.....but I found the LG HD-STB give finer picture than TEAC...the TEAC seems to be more dotty and jumpy.....has anyone hook it up with TEAC HD?

I got one today and there is a bright spot in the bottom left corner of the screen that covers about 5% of the screen and when the picture is black its noticeable. Anyone else have this?

But I must say the Picture quality is excellent and is up there with the $3000 LCDs

I got one today and there is a bright spot in the bottom left corner of the screen that covers about 5% of the screen and when the picture is black its noticeable. Anyone else have this?

But I must say the Picture quality is excellent and is up there with the $3000 LCDs

I cant see one but Ill check tonight. This screen has the same specs, better PQ and more inputs than screens costing 4 times more.

Angelo :blink:

I cant see one but Ill check tonight. This screen has the same specs, better PQ and more inputs than screens costing 4 times more.

Angelo :blink:

I have something similar but barely even noticable......

Only really saw it in the very dark opening sequences of Terminator 3 DVD

Also have been able to provoke some slight artifacts with Ice Age DVD but not with anything else, given the poor quality (non-progressive) DVD player and the rapid action involved, this is pretty impressive.

I took a Picture and u can see the bright area and even a smaller (less noticeable) 'spot' in the top right

I have a Onkyo DV-SP500 DVD player hooked up with crest Platinum component leads (I picked up on the way home for only $35! from the good guys) and I played some Jackie Chan on it and even in the fast fight sequences there was only one slight artifact that u really had to watch over and over again to pick up on it was less noticeable in progressive mode

I reckon that's just reflected light - I thought my 58cm, Grundig LCD was faulty at 1st.

Try changing light in the room or moving the monitor. You can only see it on a blank screen.

Doug

I reckon that's just reflected light - I thought my 58cm, Grundig LCD was faulty at 1st.

Try changing light in the room or moving the monitor.  You can only see it on a blank screen.

Doug

The picture was taken with all lights off and windows covered.

At first I thought it was reflected light but then I blacked the room and it was still there.

When watching a film with a aspect ratio of 2.35:1 the bright area can always be seen

Try changing light in the room or moving the monitor.  You can only see it on a blank screen.

Doug

The picture was taken with all lights off and windows covered.

At first I thought it was reflected light but then I blacked the room and it was still there.

When watching a film with a aspect ratio of 2.35:1 the bright area can always be seen

Most LCD,s monitors Ive owned have it in one way or another. Work has a 22cm HP LCD Monitor(which they paid $4000 for :blink: )and its there as well. When you turn on our PC and the black screen comes up before windows load you get a major flare like yours WoRm right around the screen.

So I dont think youve got anything to worry about.

Angelo

My laptop which im about to shut down has this on the bottom left corner of the screen which when on the blue windows xp screen it is noticeable otherwise i dont notice it at all.Am i right in saying it only appears on a black screen ie when you turn off or as you mentioned about watching a movie shot in 2.35:1 but only on the black bar at the bottom?Its not on the actual picture is it?If not then obviously it doesnt affect the PQ but i suppose it would be nice to know why its there.

Might even be worth talking to a computer store as it affects LCD's which arent used as tvs aswell.

Cheers Ryan

My laptop which im about to shut down has this on the bottom left corner of the screen which when on the blue windows xp screen it is noticeable otherwise i dont notice it at all.Am i right in saying it only appears on a black screen ie when you turn off or as you mentioned about watching a movie shot in 2.35:1 but only on the black bar at the bottom?Its not on the actual picture is it?If not then obviously it doesnt affect the PQ but i suppose it would be nice to know why its there.

Might even be worth talking to a computer store as it affects LCD's which arent used as tvs aswell.

Cheers Ryan

Het Ryan sold the Sony yet ? Hows the JVC Plasma going ?

Angelo

Cheers Ryan

Het Ryan sold the Sony yet ? Hows the JVC Plasma going ?

Angelo

he's thinking about a 66cm lcd now to pair up with that plasma. Can you imagine the extended desktop between the two of those screens.......hehehe

Hey Alebonau

last night while watching the Tennis I had the plasma one end of the room and the LCD on the other and I sat in the middle .................it was almost as good as being there !!!!!!

In fact it was so good I saw Llyton win !!!!!

Okay Ill go and take my tablets now....................................... :blink:

Angelo :P

LOL alebonau and no luck with the Sony yet Angelo,i have it in the Melb trading post so we'll see how she go's! And i must say that so far im very impressed with the JVC :blink:

Cheers Ryan

P.S. I can see what you guys mean by getting used to a screen size,it took me all of about 2 minutes to get used to the 42" screen.If i had the money and space 55" would be a minimum for me but more than likely a 60,61 or 63" would be the go.Sorry Angelo im being a little cheeky :P

LOL alebonau and no luck with the Sony yet Angelo,i have it in the Melb trading post so we'll see how she go's! And i must say that so far im very impressed with the JVC :blink:

Cheers Ryan

P.S. I can see what you guys mean by getting used to a screen size,it took me all of about 2 minutes to get used to the 42" screen.If i had the money and space 55" would be a minimum for me but more than likely a 60,61 or 63" would be the go.Sorry Angelo im being a little cheeky :P

No not at all, when I got the 42 I wanted the 50, when I got the 50 I now want the 60.........hell Im even using a 66cm screen for my computer now and Im wondering what a 42 would look like on it !!!!

Angelo

Just when I thought I was safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you go and do this to me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AnGeLo :blink:

Angelo,

How does the 66cm AWA LCD that have recently bought compare with your  NEC 50XR4W Plasma ????

Regards,

Mad Dog

Very well but remember its a smaller screen so you really cant compare the 2.

Angelo

awa66 where di you get the dvi cable from

got it from JB-HiFi in Brisbane...retail at $29.95 got it for $20...... :blink:

guess what....1st one I bought last week was faulty which the screen still light on after turn off....so took it back and got another one, no more problem with the screen light..BUT....the DVI connection give out of portion picture with one side just green and image on other half....so took it back and they ran out of stock..so had drive like 20 mints to another BigW.....finally...3rd time lucky....this one works...however, I also found the bottom left corner is brighter than the rest of the screen....oh well....

I also found the bottom left corner is brighter than the rest of the screen....oh well....

But this isnt noticable when using the screen for a telly? (only on a black blank screen you see this).

Because if your still seeing it when watching tv thats not right either.

Angelo

Angelo,

How are you finding the 66cm LCD screen as a PC monitor? Did you have to move further away from the screen? I'm currently running two 17" monitors side by side. One LCD and the other CRT. I'd love to be able to get rid of them and stick the 66 in there. How different is it using such a big screen?