Sign in to follow this  
TechnoPhobe

Cheap 66cm widescreen LCD

If anyone is looking for a new 66cm LCD in the Brisbane area, I think that there will probably be one still available at the Beenleigh Big W.

When I spoke to the store manager there today, he mentioned that a customer who had previously put the AWA 66cm LCD on layby had decided to switch over to the 81cm instead, so I presume that the one that had been kept on layby would now be available...

The store manager there also mentioned that there were 2 81cm units still available, but I couldn't guarantee that they're still there of course...

If anyone decides to go there and you see Peter in the audio visual department, make sure that you tell him that Mark sent you :blink:

The 32" (81cm) AWA looks very good value. The cheapest 30" name brand I've found is at least $2,500 and even then most are 24ms response time and 1280 horizonral resolution as opposed to the AWA's 1366px.

Has anyone had a cance to preview this screen yet? I'm hoping it will be as high quality as the 66cm.

The 32" (81cm) AWA looks very good value.  The cheapest 30" name brand I've found is at least $2,500 and even then most are 24ms response time and 1280 horizonral resolution as opposed to the AWA's 1366px.

Has anyone had a cance to preview this screen yet? I'm hoping it will be as high quality as the 66cm.

Gees 20 pages and going strong

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=13626

General comment is positive quite some discussion re running at native resolution from a PC and dead pixel policy of big w.

My screen has collected a bit of dust since I've bought it but I don't want to clean it because I don't want to scratch the screen. What should I use to clean it with? Would a lense cleaning cloth work alright?

there's something I'm not quite understanding here... if this is only 1024 x 768, it can't display true 1080i HD, can it?

so would this screen be SD? or 720p HD?

:blink::P:P

there's something I'm not quite understanding here... if this is only 1024 x 768, it can't display true 1080i HD, can it?

so would this screen be SD? or 720p HD?

:blink:  :P  :P

Its 1280 by 720 which pushes it past SD quality....The telly converts the input to suit the display..

have a look here .this is the company that makes them.

http://www.decktron.com/products/lcd_26_b.html

Unfortunately not :blink:

I don't imagine you will get great sound through the PC Audio input.....

Or any at all.

I got an AWA 66cm a couple of weeks back as part of my "build your own PVR project" and I finally tried hooking the PC up to it. After some fiddling with the BIOS, I got 1280x768 with the VGA connector, but for the love of God I cannot get the PC Audio input to function.

I wondering if there is some magic setting in the panel I'm missing or has it been

'plug in the mini-jack, select RGB-PC and hear the music' for most people?

I have eliminated the audio source, the mini-jack -> mini-jack cable setup and the other audio inputs to the panel (Composite) as sources of problems, so I'm left with the last hope that 'PC mode' is somehow special and I need to configure something.

Any one with a similar PC audio setup?

Or any at all.

I got an AWA 66cm a couple of weeks back as part of my "build your own PVR project" and I finally tried hooking the PC up to it. After some fiddling with the BIOS, I got 1280x768 with the VGA connector, but for the love of God I cannot get the PC Audio input to function.

I wondering if there is some magic setting in the panel I'm missing or has it been

'plug in the mini-jack, select RGB-PC and hear the music' for most people?

I have eliminated the audio source, the mini-jack -> mini-jack cable setup and the other audio inputs to the panel (Composite) as sources of problems, so I'm left with the last hope that 'PC mode' is somehow special and I need to configure something.

Any one with a similar PC audio setup?

1. Take the speaker output off the PC usually coloured green _stereo jack out.

2. ensure the mixer on the sound spec in software are not muted.

3. Ramp the volume to over 3/4 of the way on the PC.

4. Connect ONLY the stereo jack in (min stereo plug in) on TV

5. Goto source VGA PC on the TV.

6. Adjust volume to at least mid way on the TV.

PC input only works on the mini jack stereo in (not the RCA left and right (white and red) - this applies to both VGA and DVI-D ONLY.

DA

Sound should result.

1. Take the speaker output off the PC usually coloured green _stereo jack out.

2. ensure the mixer on the sound spec in software are not muted.

3. Ramp the volume to over 3/4 of the way on the PC.

4. Connect ONLY the stereo jack in (min stereo plug in) on TV

5. Goto source VGA PC on the TV.

6. Adjust volume to at least mid way on the TV.

PC input only works on the mini jack stereo in (not the RCA left and right (white and red) - this applies to both VGA and DVI-D ONLY.

DA

Sound should result.

Well there you go. Removing all the other inputs did the trick! I had to really crank up both the PC output (to deafening) and TV volume (to merely loud) before I could actually hear anything with this setup. With the other inputs hooked up, the sound drops a tad. Odd.

Mod points (or DBA equivalent) to DA for the suggestion.

Of course I now discover that the 'PC Audio in' is so quiet as to be almost useless on the AWA, which is a shame. On the plus side, the justification for surround sound expenditure has become easier.

Now on to the video tweaking.

cheers,

Matt

Just bought a 30" Acoustic Research LCD TV from  Strathfield for $1998.

The guy there told me they were running them out because they were moving so slowly - "I guess everybody goes to Harvey Norman to buy these kind of things". Yesterday's price was $2695. A few months before that they were $4999 (ouch!).

Has DVI, component, composite (s-video and rca), VGA, rca audio out. 1280x768.

Menu system is basic, and default image control is tweaked to insanity (contrast waaay up, sharpness waaay up, chroma at sickening levels) - but defaults can be tamed.

Best of all, no dead pixels.

Prices are dropping I guess.

I have just bought one of the last of the Acoustic Research AR-HD77 (Demo Model)from Strathfield. I am trying to get a copy of the Instruction Book and specs for it, not to mention the Service Manual and Agents for spares. I am having difficulty in displaying a good HD picture from the GR-3200T digibox - it is too pink and its aspect ratio is poor. It wont display a picture via the VGA PC input with anything other than a PC. I am not sure whether this is normal or requires adjustment in the Service Menu which I dont know how to access either. The digibox is also made by Acoustic Research but I cant make the remote work the TV as the code isnt in the book. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hello. I have the AWA 66cm widescreen HD LCD TV for sale used - $1000. I bought it last autumn at Big W. Works like new. Port Melbourne.

Contact me at gfcentral-stern@yahoo.com

Guest EZYHD

What is the sound like out of the AWA?

P.S Any one have any cool logo stickers to cover the AWA sign on the front of panel.

If this gets out that I bought a AWA product...there goes my credability

Angelo :blink:

Quick, Before Club Fuji El Presidente sees, cut the Philips off the box and stick it over the AWA decal !!!

But you're using it as your computer monitor ??????????

Wouldn't it of been cheaper to buy a new pair of glasses :P ??

Austen.

Just a quick note to anyone looking at a Dell W1900 (19" widescreen) the inbulit tuner has known issues with QLD & WA, most noticably with ABC and a lack of sound... There is NO FIX and NO REFUND offered

Just a quick note to anyone looking at a Dell W1900 (19" widescreen) the inbulit tuner has known issues with QLD & WA, most noticably with ABC and a lack of sound... There is NO FIX and NO REFUND offered

Using an analogue tuner with a 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor seems like a pointless exercise anyway.

I'd respectfully suggest that this statement is **cough** lacking in correctness.............

Unless of course on the front of the box, stamped in 3-inch-high letters are the words..............

"WARNING...This TV does not work"

Then it would fail Trade Practice 101 as not being fit for purpose, and thus either Dell has to fix it or refund your money.

Austen.

Would I be better off using VGA or Component cables when the Xbox 360 comes out?

VGA.

Any reason why? Some one told me the resolution can effect which cable would be better, is that why the VGA cable is the go?

Any reason why? Some one told me the resolution can effect which cable would be better, is that why the VGA cable is the go?

Thats just what the people on here who have the X360 seem to be using on their plasma's so I just assume that it must be better to use than component.