Cheap 66cm widescreen LCD

Trying to mount mine to the wall. Does anyone in Melb know who to talk to about a VESA mount?

I'm trying to do the same - I've been to HNs, JBs, DJs, Myer, Bunnings .... pretty much all I've seen is a $300 Vogel's (EFW 1020). I'm sure it's top notch - but I'm looking @ < $100. Like speedorhaste mentioned - adtec have a few and Audio Visual Devices seem to stock a fair few.

Skunkworks have some too - but most for ligther LCDs.

With the cost consideration, for me it's down to this B-Tech one, this OMB one or this OMB one.

The next problem is getting the base off!(Pic. here) I've tried the screws marked as 'A' - dunno if I'm just not pulling hard enough. Tried 'B's too - but I think they are to just remove the plastic cover on the metal base. Got me stuffed ..... any ideas?

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the AWA LCD in BigW at Eastland (Ringwood Vic) today. (No sign of them in the Forest Hill store - possibly because it's a fairly poor shopping area.)

Quite impressive, especially for the price. The picture seemed very good. The store was using an AWA progressive scan DVD player but unfortunately the DVD they were playing did not really demonstrate much.

The available inputs are terrific, when you consider that many of the $3K+ 66cm LCDs don't have DVI (eg the Panasonic units).

I would buy one, but I think it's probably too small for the room I have. How far away from this unit are you purchasers sitting? How are you finding it after a few days of use?

thanks

Hamish

How are you finding it after a few days of use?

Mine replaced a 15" portable CRT sitting on top of the fridge. so it is watched from the breakfast bar, and the casual dining and sitting area, which vary from 2 to 4 metres away. Initial reaction was that it was over the top (made the old telly look like a postcard) but after a weekend of intermittent viewing averyone thnks it's about right. I couldn't see it doing the job as the main display in a large lounge room with say 3 metre avge distance - just too small for that. But, 2 to 2.5 metres and its fine. Really does not a STB though - FTA reception in my neck of the woods is a bit dodgy on 2, 10 and 31 depending on whose got what power tool running in the neighbourhood.

I would buy one, but I think it's probably too small for the room I have. How far away from this unit are you purchasers sitting? How are you finding it after a few days of use?

thanks

Hamish

I have had mine for about a week now, I sit 2.7 metres away and I still think it is big (although I have gone from a 51cm CRT so not surprising!)

I live in a unit and this is the width of the living area :blink:

Even though the verticle height is only 3 cm more, the widescreen format means that the image is significantly larger (nothing lost to black bars for 16:9 broadcasts)

Now that I have it paired with a HD STB (Teac DV-B800) so I get the good picture quality (analogue looks awful by comparison), I am very happy.

Cheers,

Peter

I would buy one, but I think it's probably too small for the room I have. How far away from this unit are you purchasers sitting?

I have had mine for about a week now, I sit 2.7 metres away and I still think it is big (although I have gone from a 51cm CRT so not surprising!)

I live in a unit and this is the width of the living area :blink:

Thanks for the info. I'm moving into a small house soon, so 3m might be about it. I'm not sure yet.

Currently I watch a 68cm (4:3) Panasonic from 3m away. Some websites I saw suggested that for 10 feet away you should have a 42" (106cm) TV, which is huge. I have not found the 68cm to be too small. But the WS 66cm is something like 8cm shorter.. So I'm leaning towards a 76cm WS CRT (LCD too expensive).

Hamish

All,

I have checked this thing out and it looks fine, but has anyone noticed just how SLOW it is at changing inputs?  Takes a least a second to say go from AV1 to AV2, it goes arounf the full cycle of inputs takes forever!

Danny.

Agreed it is slow between inputs but fine switching channels while on the internal tuner (sorry people - just haven't progressed beyond that!). Also discovered that the light shadow that caused one of us to send the unit back is caused by uneven pressure on the screen edge. While the unit is pretty solid, a bit of opposite pressure on each side can create a slight twist and change the backlight leakage pattern. Not recommended behaviour I think, but if there is a slight twist from assembly causing uneven pressure it could be relieved. I get the same behaviour on my IBM LCD monitor.

Has anyone with this tv seen the Tevion one that Aldi had for $2000?  The Tevion has 2 scart connections.  Any opinions on which one is better?

No but IMHO $2000 and beyond starts to become serious money.

From what Ive seen the AWA can hold its head hi against many other expensive LCD/TV screens.

Scart converters are all you need, they cost about $20.

Trying to mount mine to the wall. Does anyone in Melb know who to talk to about a VESA mount?

I'm trying to do the same - I've been to HNs, JBs, DJs, Myer, Bunnings .... pretty much all I've seen is a $300 Vogel's (EFW 1020). I'm sure it's top notch - but I'm looking @ < $100. Like speedorhaste mentioned - adtec have a few and Audio Visual Devices seem to stock a fair few.

With the cost consideration, for me it's down to this B-Tech one, this OMB one or this OMB one.

The next problem is getting the base off!(Pic. here) I've tried the screws marked as 'A' - dunno if I'm just not pulling hard enough. Tried 'B's too - but I think they are to just remove the plastic cover on the metal base. Got me stuffed ..... any ideas?

After trying to do it from scratch most of Sunday, I went to Hi Fi Supermarket in Cheltenham and they had exactly the perfect thing!! (aswell as several other $200+ mounts) I think the brand was Vogels, but it cost just $35. It is a metal square that screws on the back of the TV (although the supplied screws were a little too small for the holes on the back of the AWA) with a triangle wedge at the back. This triangle slots into the other metal piece that screws onto the wall. (went staight onto a wooden column behind the plasterboard) The TV can simply slip in or out of the triangle bracket whenever I want to take it down. Can't believe how much time I wasted trying to make up a mounting system from scratch! For $35, this is the way to go!! If all they have in stock is the expensive swivel things, you will need to track down a Vogels VESA mounting kit. Ask them for the catalog if they don't know what you are after. NB: no tilt on this unit. It is permanently fixed in one place.

You need to unscrew A and B.

Modeline?

Has anyone got a modeline for 1280x768@60hz?

I can't seem to get x running at 1280x768 (1024x768 is fine) and I have read that I need to add valid modeline to the config file. Would have used a modeline calculator but I couldn't find enough detailed information about the display.

Cheers,

alex

Sorry to go off topic - Does the PAL unit support 720p &/or 1080i?  I heard rumors the PAL unit only supports 480p, but then others have told me it doesnt work at all, so I dont know what to expect.

I will answer this. HD modes have been disabled on PAL Xboxs. The only ways around this is to 1)buy a NTSC xbox 2) modchip your Xbox 3) softmod your Xbox (technically this is not illegal). 2 and 3 will require software to change video mode from PAL to NTSC. Once component cables are plugged in, the SD/HD modes - 480P, 720P, 1080i, will be available.

And I too apologize for going off-topic.

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthre...?t=28489&page=1

Most PAL games will work with the Xbox switched to NTSC and most games run in 480p wich is a definite improvment.

Guest nazza1503559944

I got mine from Big W in Rockdale, Sydney last week and am pretty happy. But I can't get the Picture in Picture (PIP) function to work when trying to watch two different TV channels. I press the 'change PIP channel', and nothing happens whether I go up or down a channel. That is to say, the little picture stays the same as the big picture. Same in 'split screen mode'.

I read a post earlier in this forum that the TV has two built-in tuners. Is there anything special I should be doing to get PIP working? For example do I need to use the tuner in a DVD or VCR machine?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nazza

Modeline?

I can't seem to get x running at 1280x768 (1024x768 is fine) and I have read that I need to add valid modeline to the config file.  Would have used a modeline calculator but I couldn't find enough detailed information about the display.

Come again??

I read a post earlier in this forum that the TV has two built-in tuners. Is there anything special I should be doing to get PIP working? For example do I need to use the tuner in a DVD or VCR machine?

Nah - it's only a single tuner. Get one source that you want (e.g TV) then open PIP, then swap PIP and select the other source (Composite, Component, DVI etc)

Modeline?

I can't seem to get x running at 1280x768 (1024x768 is fine) and I have read that I need to add valid modeline to the config file.  Would have used a modeline calculator but I couldn't find enough detailed information about the display.

Come again??

He's trying to configure his linux x windows installation for 1280x768.

Modeline?

Come again??

He's trying to configure his linux x windows installation for 1280x768.

Yeah sorry, I should have made that a little clearer. I am trying to get the X windows server in Linux to display 1280x768. Apparently you have to provide the xorg.conf file with a modeline for it to display non-standard resolutions. I just thought a windows user may have the modeline settings from Powerstrip (http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm) handy.... But I guess not :)

Think I am pretty close anyway as I have found a pretty nifty calculator (http://freshmeat.net/projects/amlc/) for it, I will just have to guess some of the parameters for the display.

Actually I was starting to doubt that the display was 1280x768 at all as 1024x768 looks great.