Cheap 66cm widescreen LCD

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh - haven't even managed to get out of the house yet ....  Hopefully their 'experimemt' doesn't let 'em realise they could up the price a bit and still sell them!

(In Adelaide ...) BIGW Marion had about 6 there. (Their second load apparently) .... only 5 after I left :-)

Cheers

Now thats good news but as always in Adelaide if you want something the Marion area ALWAYS is the best place to get anything it even beats the city !!!

Angelo

just saw this at bigw today. Doesn't look bad at all. Too tempting. Any more info?

What do you want to know?

Too tempting indeed!... just went and bought one. Pretty damn good ive gota say!

Shame it has an analogue tuner..but will be mated up with a Tivo anyway so no big deal.

I dont think the remote is that bad ( ive seen worse ) - so long as my Tivo remote can adjust volume it wont be needed anyway!

I was looking at the Dell 19" for the same $'s but this is a great buy!

Looks good, and seems to perform well!

Your joking about the 19" monitor from Dell arn't you? $400 can buy you a 19" LCD DVi computor monitor nowadays.

Danny.

where can you get a 19" lcd for $400?

Sorry, my mistake, I was think 17". Still, $1500 for a 19" is still crazy. You can get them from $500-700 MAX.

This place is VERY cheap, even if its poxy little computer shop with no service, it doesn't matter, you can use their price list to check what you really should be paying for items elsewhere.

MSY Computers

Danny.

just saw this at bigw today. Doesn't look bad at all. Too tempting. Any more info?

What do you want to know?

Too tempting indeed!... just went and bought one. Pretty damn good ive gota say!

Shame it has an analogue tuner..but will be mated up with a Tivo anyway so no big deal.

I dont think the remote is that bad ( ive seen worse ) - so long as my Tivo remote can adjust volume it wont be needed anyway!

I was looking at the Dell 19" for the same $'s but this is a great buy!

Looks good, and seems to perform well!

Your joking about the 19" monitor from Dell arn't you? $400 can buy you a 19" LCD DVi computor monitor nowadays.

Danny.

where can you get a 19" lcd for $400?

Sorry, my mistake, I was think 17". Still, $1500 for a 19" is still crazy. You can get them from $500-700 MAX.

This place is VERY cheap, even if its poxy little computer shop with no service, it doesn't matter, you can use their price list to check what you really should be paying for items elsewhere.

MSY Computers

Danny.

Danny, i was referring to Dell's 19inch LCD TV

Dell TV

I just went down to BigW to have a look at this beast.....

Not surprisingly they had it set up using composite video to a AWA DVD player running Shrek2

I collared one of the store drones to see if I could connect it up via the component video sockets to see what the picture quality was like. You can guess the look on theier face ;-)

Net result, after 15 minutes of blank looks I found that they had no component cables in the store, and supposedly no RCA leads either.

After some more mucking around I managed to convince them to let me crack open a DVD player box and raid the tripple RCA lead from there.

When I connected these to the component connections the screen simply gave a no signal response...... Is there any reason that the RCA leads would not work?

There was no switch on the DVD player to set the output and they couldn't find the remote for either the screen or the player.

I was going to buy it anyway and try and sort it out at home but they had sold out... not happy! (they promise to call me when they get more stock in, yeh right!)

BTW They also had a 106cm plasma (AWA) for over $3500! And it looked terrible!

I also went up to Myer and they had the LG 66cm LCD for $2799 which looked VERY similar to the AWA, just some detail differences to the cabinet and a different location for the connections (side rather than the base, and no DVI!)

The one at garden city was connected to a LG progressive scan player through component. The only thing is the player wasnt set to progressive scan mode, and the remote had no batterys so I couldnt fix it. I really wanted to see it with a HD-STB, but big w only sell SD boxes.

BTW I think the Plasma was an experiment to see how they would sell. A failed experiment it would seem.

For  those  members  that  think  66 cm  is  a  bit  small  the  larger  Models  should  be  appearing(from  China  and  Korea)  shortly.

My  information  came  from  a  Sydney  Custom  Agent  who  did  the  leg  work  for  a  large  importing  Co  about  this  time  last  year.

I'll wait a little longer and hopefully we'll see the 32" from the same company. It has a true 16:9 panel (1366x768 instead of 1280x768) and scart for RGB Foxtel, instead of s-video.

Bought one this afternoon.....and had it hooked up via DVI with LG HD-STB LST4100P, the picture looks great and the ratio is correct too..whereas I found by using component setup the screen is not centre more toward the right side.....

The HD picture quality is very similar to my 30" LCD, but the only thing I didnt like is the screen gets pretty hot and when switch off the screen seem to be on still and if you look inside the panel from the top, there are still lights on......is it normal??

Bought one this afternoon.....and had it hooked up via DVI with LG HD-STB LST4100P, the picture looks great and the ratio is correct too..whereas I found by using component setup the screen is not centre more toward the right side.....

The HD picture quality is very similar to my 30" LCD, but the only thing I didnt like is the  screen gets pretty hot  and when switch off the screen seem to be on still and if you look inside the panel from the top, there are still lights on......is it normal??

Ive looked in mine and I cant see any lights but Ill check tonight when its dark.

Angelo

Shopped around the BigW outlets of Sydney and those that I spoke too are all out of stock.....

The manager of my local branch said he will call the supplier tomorrow to find out "if" they will be getting any more and that he can't make any promisies, I will keep you all posted of the results.

Sounds a bit like, as has been suggested, they were just testing the market and got caught out. If this is true it might take some time for new stock to land in the country and they might "adjust" the price of the next shipment, let's hope not!

I will be "most vexed" if I miss out as this was going to be my television (replacing 51cm CRT in a small room so still a big improvement) while I wait for the various technologies to mature over the next couple of years....

BTW did people realise that contrary to the spec sheet this screen is actually a 15:9 aspect ratio, not 16:9 as they claim (active area 566.4 x 339.8mm)

Bought one of these sets from big w blacktown today, was blown away by the picture quality, they had it hooked up to a digitrex dvd player useing composite

connection playing a garfield movie and it looked better than the hd plasma they had up in myers, can't wait to get a teac hd box and set it up through dvi i reckon the picture will be awsome!!.

south1

I'll wait a little longer and hopefully we'll see the 32" from the same company. It has a true 16:9 panel (1366x768 instead of 1280x768) and scart for RGB Foxtel, instead of s-video.

I suspect that if they do bring in a larger version it will be the 30" @ 1280x768 rather than the 32"

still we can just wait and see.......

Bought one of these sets from big w blacktown today, was blown away by the picture quality, they had it hooked up to a digitrex dvd player useing composite

connection playing a garfield movie and it looked better than the hd plasma they had up in myers, can't wait to get a teac hd box and set it up through dvi i reckon the picture will be awsome!!.

south1

Thank you south1, I just got back from Blacktown with mine :-)

(was begining to wonder whether I would be able to get one)

for those that are interested.... Blacktown still had 4 in stock at 1pm today

For  those  members  that  think  66 cm  is  a  bit  small  the  larger  Models  should  be  appearing(from  China  and  Korea)  shortly.

My  information  came  from  a  Sydney  Custom  Agent  who  did  the  leg  work  for  a  large  importing  Co  about  this  time  last  year.

Hi

Thanks Thunderlips, I am glad someone reads my posts however that AWA Plasma retailing at $3500(earlier post this forum) was the one(if my information is correct) that was going to retail for $2000 to $2500.

Someone has stuffed up the retail, LCD too cheap and Plasma way too dear. Anyway the one certain thing out of all this is there are many more models to come. The ones from China haven't even landed yet and the Sanyos(LCD Widesreen TV's) go on sale in K-mart around Easter.

Regards

Basil

Hi

Thanks Thunderlips, I am glad someone reads my posts however that AWA Plasma retailing at $3500(earlier post this forum) was the one(if my information is correct) that was going to retail for $2000 to $2500.

Someone has stuffed up the retail, LCD too cheap and Plasma way too dear. Anyway the one certain thing out of all this is there are many more models to come. The ones from China haven't even landed yet and the Sanyos(LCD Widesreen TV's) go on sale in K-mart around Easter.

Regards

Basil

If they charged $2500 fot the plasma it would cost them money.

I have been told that they definately will get more stock of the LCD though.

The HD picture quality is very similar to my 30" LCD, but the only thing I didnt like is the  screen gets pretty hot  and when switch off the screen seem to be on still and if you look inside the panel from the top, there are still lights on......is it normal??

Ive looked in mine and I cant see any lights but Ill check tonight when its dark.

Angelo

Double checked to night and there are no lights on. This is viewing from the top of the screen.

Angelo

Angelo

Double checked to night and there are no lights on. This is viewing from the top of the screen.

Angelo

angelo what the hell you involved with here - you going to have everyone swapping their pc monitors with widescreen LCD TVs soon with all these posts of yours. A new lcd widescreen pc monitor was definetely not budgetted or even dreamed off a week ago - you got me thinking now.

Angelo

Angelo

angelo what the hell you involved with here - you going to have everyone swapping their pc monitors with widescreen LCD TVs soon with all these posts of yours. A new lcd widescreen pc monitor was definetely not budgetted or even dreamed off a week ago - you got me thinking now.

Alebonau YOU DONT NEED IT. But then again never did I. But mate Im typing this and watching Llyton going down the tube in the corner of the screen.

Love the Screen but feel sorry for Llyton.

Angelo :P AND :blink:

Angelo

Angelo

Alebonau YOU DONT NEED IT. But then again never did I. But mate Im typing this and watching Llyton going down the tube in the corner of the screen.

Love the Screen but feel sorry for Llyton.

Angelo :P AND :blink:

I need it ! I need it !

now what reason can I come up with that I do need it to replace this perfectly good 19" sony crt pc monitor I'm using - wife will think I'm mad. Should I say its needed to go with the fusion usb HDTV on the pc ? hehehe

ps yes sorry for leyton too !