Cheap 66cm widescreen LCD

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to go off topic - Does the PAL unit support 720p &/or 1080i?  I heard rumors the PAL unit only supports 480p, but then others have told me it doesnt work at all, so I dont know what to expect.

I will answer this. HD modes have been disabled on PAL Xboxs. The only ways around this is to 1)buy a NTSC xbox 2) modchip your Xbox 3) softmod your Xbox (technically this is not illegal). 2 and 3 will require software to change video mode from PAL to NTSC. Once component cables are plugged in, the SD/HD modes - 480P, 720P, 1080i, will be available.

And I too apologize for going off-topic.

Actually all i had to do to ice the deal with my wife was tell her she could use hte PIP to view a video camera of the baby....her response was "Should we all go to get it?"....dead easy ;-)

It says the weight is 16kgs!!!! Is it really that heavy? Is the stand a large component of that weight? I've got a wall mount (VESA 75mm) and it's only rated to 10kg.

Thanks in advance

Byron

Actually all i had to do to ice the deal with my wife was tell her she could use hte PIP to view a video camera of the baby....her response was "Should we all go to get it?"....dead easy ;-)

It says the weight is 16kgs!!!! Is it really that heavy? Is the stand a large component of that weight? I've got a wall mount (VESA 75mm) and it's only rated to 10kg.

Thanks in advance

Byron

Just played a bit of Half Life 2 on it and i would have to say that the refresh appears to be BETTER than my NEC 1860NX 18inch lcd panel...which is supposedly a 30ms panel :blink: ...so id say "Its better than 30ms"

HL2 looks awsome in native 16:10 mode!!! might play it again!

As for the mount...its VESA 100x100 and i *think* i read somewhere that its 13kg's without the stand...

Hi

Just a reminder, (from the Member who posted this information,Direct imports of LCD and Plasma's into the Discount Chain stores early 05)

about 6 Months ago.) theres more Models to come.

For those members that think 66 cm is a bit small the larger Models should be appearing(from China and Korea) shortly.

My information came from a Sydney Custom Agent who did the leg work for a large importing Co about this time last year.

There should be a 106cm SD Plasma on sale within the next few Months at K-Mart , Big W etc for a hopeful $1999 but more probale $2499.

The next few months should be vey interesting.

Regards

Basil

Hi Guys

Needed a new monitor for the computer and have been looking for over 1 week now until I triped over this post.

I said to my self well if I dont like it I can always take it back.

Let me tell you that its the best $1495 Ive spent. It makes some of the TV/MONITORS (which cost almost triple the price ) look like crap.

HDTV LOOKS PRETTY BLOODY GOOD AS WELL !!!

The inputs this thing has got is brillant and its made by Phillips / LG its written on the box.

Angelo :blink:

good all we have to do is have another baby! only trouble is the strike rate....1 in 13 years lol

It says it has PIP, has it also got split screen ?

Sounds like a good deal.

Split screen =yes!

just saw this at bigw today. Doesn't look bad at all. Too tempting. Any more info?

What do you want to know?

Too tempting indeed!... just went and bought one. Pretty damn good ive gota say!

Shame it has an analogue tuner..but will be mated up with a Tivo anyway so no big deal.

I dont think the remote is that bad ( ive seen worse ) - so long as my Tivo remote can adjust volume it wont be needed anyway!

I was looking at the Dell 19" for the same $'s but this is a great buy!

Looks good, and seems to perform well!

Your joking about the 19" monitor from Dell arn't you? $400 can buy you a 19" LCD DVi computor monitor nowadays.

Danny.

Gunna have to check thsi thing out, really a breakthrough on price. Pitty its only 28", but its good for a small room.

Have a look at the site http://www.decktron.com/products/lcd_26.html

Its clearly the same TV. The only thing thats a little concearnign is the HDCP being an OPTION on the DVI port. Would like confirmation as to wether this set does HDCP via the DVI port.

Danny.

Let me tell you that its the best $1495 Ive spent.  It makes some of the TV/MONITORS (which cost almost triple the price ) look like crap.

HDTV LOOKS PRETTY BLOODY GOOD AS WELL !!! 

Well .... if it gets Angelo's blessing - I'm in :-) Heading to Marion now ..... just gotta get the 'accountant' to realise she needs it in the bedroom ..... :blink:

I still cant get over this Panel. Been using it almost 24 hours staright, one thing to remember that if your using it like me as a PC monitor you have to double the view distance .

I was using a 17inch screen and this thing looks so frigen big compared to it.

P.S Any one have any cool logo stickers to cover the AWA sign on the front of panel.

If this gets out that I bought a AWA product...there goes my credability

I still cant get over this Panel. Been using it almost 24 hours staright,  one thing to remember that if your using it like me as a PC monitor you have to double the view distance .

I was using a 17inch screen and this thing looks so frigen big compared to it.

P.S Any one have any cool logo stickers to cover the AWA sign on the front of panel.

If this gets out that I bought a AWA product...there goes my credability

Just scratch an I in front of the W. I'm sure that will bring it up a notch!

I just went down to BigW to have a look at this beast.....

Not surprisingly they had it set up using composite video to a AWA DVD player running Shrek2

I collared one of the store drones to see if I could connect it up via the component video sockets to see what the picture quality was like. You can guess the look on theier face ;-)

Net result, after 15 minutes of blank looks I found that they had no component cables in the store, and supposedly no RCA leads either.

After some more mucking around I managed to convince them to let me crack open a DVD player box and raid the tripple RCA lead from there.

When I connected these to the component connections the screen simply gave a no signal response...... Is there any reason that the RCA leads would not work?

There was no switch on the DVD player to set the output and they couldn't find the remote for either the screen or the player.

I was going to buy it anyway and try and sort it out at home but they had sold out... not happy! (they promise to call me when they get more stock in, yeh right!)

BTW They also had a 106cm plasma (AWA) for over $3500! And it looked terrible!

I also went up to Myer and they had the LG 66cm LCD for $2799 which looked VERY similar to the AWA, just some detail differences to the cabinet and a different location for the connections (side rather than the base, and no DVI!)

Well,

You got to spend you Money on Something :-)

Got one this morning and I love it. Even Regular TV looks good on it. I'm going to the shops later today to grab some Cables to hook it up to my DVD player and my HTPC. Only problem is no video cables at all, just the power cable

Mr_Gurps

Most Big-W,s have now sold out in Adelaide.  The story is it was an experiment to see if they were going to sell...........at TEA TREE PLAZA they got 10 in and sold 10 in 2 days.

Angelo

Didn't you just know this was going to happen!

Based on the apparent success of this test, expect similar deals in future.

The hardly normal's of the world will be unhappy when everyone starts buying LCD's and plasmas at bigw

Most Big-W,s have now sold out in Adelaide.  The story is it was an experiment to see if they were going to sell...........at TEA TREE PLAZA they got 10 in and sold 10 in 2 days.

Angelo

Didn't you just know this was going to happen!

Based on the apparent success of this test, expect similar deals in future.

The hardly normal's of the world will be unhappy when everyone starts buying LCD's and plasmas at bigw

Yep and let us see HN drop prices or stop spending their BIG profit margins on saturation advertising.

I think we are just seeing the tip of the ice-berg !!!!!!

Angelo

just saw this at bigw today. Doesn't look bad at all. Too tempting. Any more info?

What do you want to know?

Too tempting indeed!... just went and bought one. Pretty damn good ive gota say!

Shame it has an analogue tuner..but will be mated up with a Tivo anyway so no big deal.

I dont think the remote is that bad ( ive seen worse ) - so long as my Tivo remote can adjust volume it wont be needed anyway!

I was looking at the Dell 19" for the same $'s but this is a great buy!

Looks good, and seems to perform well!

Your joking about the 19" monitor from Dell arn't you? $400 can buy you a 19" LCD DVi computor monitor nowadays.

Danny.

where can you get a 19" lcd for $400?