Green edges on faces on my Pana TX-86PW200A

Click here to see examples: TV problems

I'm having lots of difficulty getting Panasonic to do something about the image problems on my TX-86PW200A. The problems are green edges on the left of people's faces (this very much depends on the background colour to the immediate left of the face) and yellow discolouration in the top left corner (occurs with very light coloured backgrounds - usually sky).

I've had two different service centre's out to look at my TV. The TV has had some thermistors changed, it's been to the service centre for eight days while they did "everything that Panasonic authorised us to do". Now the service centre is saying they can't do anything else for me (fair enough, I don't think they can).

I've contacted Panasonic (it's extremely difficult to talk to anyone but their call centre staff). I've been told that the set is within "specifications". I'm waiting for a call back from one of their "technical" guys - but I'm not that hopeful.

What do you guys think about the problems I've shown in the pictures? (link above)

Anyone have a method of taking better quality photos of a TV screen without getting moire effects?

It is apparent that the guns of TV - are out of wack.

There are primary guns behind the tube. Red, Blue and green and they must hit the tube accurately.

I have seen identical on a mal aligned computer monitor.

Is it possible to send these photos to Panasonic. The Tv is defintely not in specifications. Something has gone wrong with the gun alignments.

DA

Click here to see examples: TV problems

I'm having lots of difficulty getting Panasonic to do something about the image problems on my TX-86PW200A.  The problems are green edges on the left of people's faces (this very much depends on the background colour to the immediate left of the face) and yellow discolouration in the top left corner (occurs with very light coloured backgrounds - usually sky).

I've had two different service centre's out to look at my TV. The TV has had some thermistors changed, it's been to the service centre for eight days while they did "everything that Panasonic authorised us to do". Now the service centre is saying they can't do anything else for me (fair enough, I don't think they can).

I've contacted Panasonic (it's extremely difficult to talk to anyone but their call centre staff). I've been told that the set is within "specifications".  I'm waiting for a call back from one of their "technical" guys - but I'm not that hopeful.

What do you guys think about the problems I've shown in the pictures?  (link above)

Anyone have a method of taking better quality photos of a TV screen without getting moire effects?

Hi there Adrian,

Can you please do me a favour and put down your contrast a bit and see if the green disappears around the faces.( if possible just below half way)

Also the yellow tinsh on the corner, if you can face your tv one side of the room to see if it disappears or if it moves.

Regards,

mrtv

AdrianW,

This is a classic case of a magnetised shadow mask. When you finish viewing switch off the TV at the wall. and leave it off for at least 30 min. You will need to do this probably about half a dozen times. The set demagnetises on power up but not from the power on on the remote.

If you move the TV or rotate it the earth's magnetic field will remagnetise the tube. This is normal. Just repeat the above.

If the patches have gone but not the coloured edging you will have to get a tech to adjust the convergence.

AlanH

AdrianW,

This is a classic case of a magnetised shadow mask. When you finish viewing switch off the TV at the wall. and leave it off for at least 30 min. You will need to do this probably about half a dozen times. The set demagnetises on power up but not from the power on on the remote.

If you move the TV or rotate it the earth's magnetic field will remagnetise the tube. This is normal. Just repeat the above.

If the patches have gone but not the coloured edging you will have to get a tech to adjust the convergence.

AlanH

The TV gets switched off using the front power button every night (not the wall switch, but I don't see why that would make any difference). The set's automatic deguassing circuitry is activated the first time it's switched on each day. I've had two different techs manually degauss the set multiple times. The yellow in the corners was mostly fixed - until the set was switched off and then on again - the auto degauss would bring the yellow corners back again.

The green edges have never gotten any better - even after the techs had it at the service centre for over a week, I think they said they'd replaced (or at least adjusted) the yolk and adjusted the degaussing cable around the tube.

The TV is still well under warranty and the service centre has "done everything we can do". One of Panasonic's "tech" guys was supposed to be returning my call today - but as expected no one called. I'll be contacting them again tomorrow.

AdrianW

Adrian,

You have not mention what input you use but I guess it is S-video.

Have you try other input such as component or composite to see if the problem is still there?

S-video is known to cause this kind of sync problem. I have seen this many times throughout all these years with Laser Disc, S-VHS, DVD etc.

I don't know any easy way to correct this unless your DVD player have this offset adjust feature. Or a high quality cable may help, I guess.

My way of correcting this is by running Dscaler with HTPC to my pj. It has all the adjustment to make a S-video image look great. It is complicated and may not suit you, just sharing my experience.

AdrianW,

AlanH

The TV gets switched off using the front power button every night (not the wall switch, but I don't see why that would make any difference). The set's automatic deguassing circuitry is activated the first time it's switched on each day. I've had two different techs manually degauss the set multiple times. The yellow in the corners was mostly fixed - until the set was switched off and then on again - the auto degauss would bring the yellow corners back again.

The green edges have never gotten any better - even after the techs had it at the service centre for over a week, I think they said they'd replaced (or at least adjusted) the yolk and adjusted the degaussing cable around the tube.

The TV is still well under warranty and the service centre has "done everything we can do". One of Panasonic's "tech" guys was supposed to be returning my call today - but as expected no one called. I'll be contacting them again tomorrow.

AdrianW

Man, am I happy I was succesful in returning my 300a to The Good (for nothing) Guys albeit after a MONTH of repeatedly saying "I'm not happy with this set :blink: ".

Why is it so difficult for Shops and Manufacturers to admit that you've paid good money for a crap product. They both know these things are made god knows where with the cheapest components available yet they insist on the consumer putting up with their tom-foolery.

Adrian,

You have not mention what input you use but I guess it is S-video.

Have you try other input such as component or composite to see if the problem is still there?

S-video is known to cause this kind of sync problem. I have seen this many times throughout all these years with Laser Disc, S-VHS, DVD etc.

I don't know any easy way to correct this unless your DVD player have this offset adjust feature. Or a high quality cable may help, I guess.

My way of correcting this is by running Dscaler with HTPC to my pj. It has all the adjustment to make a S-video image look great. It is complicated and may not suit you, just sharing my experience.

I have my DVD player and STB both connected via component. The same problems also occur with the internal analogue tuner anyway.

Can you please do me a favour and put down your contrast a bit and see if the green disappears around the faces.( if possible just below half way)

Also the yellow tinsh on the corner, if you can face your tv one side of the room to see if it disappears or if it moves.

I tried putting the contrast right down (to about 1/4) and it made no difference to the green line at the edge - although obviously it changed it's shade of green).

I'm not moving the TV (it's over 80kg) and the TV has to be located where it is. I've read other threads about moving TVs to minimise the effects of the Earth's magnetic field but in the majority of cases it is just not possible to move the position of the TV unless I want the thing at a ridiculous oblique angle in the middle of the room.

AdrianW,

Since the purity error returns, have you speakers (which are not in the set) close to it? Speakers come in two categories. Magnetically shielded ones which can be put near TVs and ones which are not. Include any on the other side of a wall behind the TV.

So you are looking for sources of magnetism. This has to be solved prior to getting the coloured edges fixed.

As for the off switch on the front of the set vs the wall socket depends on the set design. If there is a brief humming noise on switch on, that is when the demagnetising is taking place.

Post any results

AlanH

AdrianW,

Since the purity error returns, have you speakers (which are not in the set) close to it? Speakers come in two categories. Magnetically shielded ones which can be put near TVs and ones which are not. Include any on the other side of a wall behind the TV.

So you are looking for sources of magnetism. This has to be solved prior to getting the coloured edges fixed.

As for the off switch on the front of the set vs the wall socket depends on the set design. If there is a brief humming noise on switch on, that is when the demagnetising is taking place.

Post any results

AlanH

I have small bookshelf speakers close to the the TV (about 30cm away) and a centre speaker on top - but these are all definitely magnetically shielded (they're Energy Take 5 speakers). There's nothing on the other side of the wall. The closest magnetic source would probably be the fridge motor - but that's over two metres and two brick walls away. I do have a video recorder, DVD player, STB and receiver under the TV - but I'm pretty sure everyone else does too :blink: (I have the receiver at the bottom of the pile futhest away from the screen as I assume this would have the largest transformer).

The front on/off switch does engage the deguassing circuit - I do get the humming noise which is rather loud in the mornings after being off all night. Plus the user manual actually states the following about the "demagnetising (degaussing) function" - "To activate this feature, simply switch your Television OFF, or into Standby for 30 minutes and then switch it back ON." (so it sounds like even using standby is OK).

AdrianW,

I have seen sets with a faulty PTC in the degaussing circuit cause a problem like the yellow patch in the corner. A set in for repair recently was manually degaussed to clear up coloured patches but when turned OFF/ON again the patches reoccurred.

The green lines look like it may be a colour decoding problem (bit hard to tell from the picture though) are they still there if you turn the colour down?

If it was a convergence problem, the techs should have been able to adjust it out.

Peter

• 2 months later...

argh!

I'm getting this green tinging on the left side of faces too.

Who are you talking with about this problem? I'm in Melbourne and might need to start the ball rolling.

Looks like you've already been fighting.

The problems are green edges on the left of people's faces (this very much depends on the background colour to the immediate left of the face) and yellow discolouration in the top left corner (occurs with very light coloured backgrounds - usually sky).

Do you have the same problem on all channels? I have seen this on 70 and its a chroma delay problem. The component signals get ouit of 'sync'. The green is due to the 'eye' seeing green with overlay of a different chroma than the correct one.

If so the problem is in the STB de-coder or the TV station.

Do you have the same problem on all channels? I have seen this on 70 and its a chroma delay problem. The component signals get ouit of 'sync'. The green is due to the 'eye' seeing green with overlay of a different chroma than the correct one.

If so the problem is in the STB de-coder or the TV station.

STB, DVD, even VHS & the internal analogue tuner all have the same problems to some extent.

Boy am I glad I found this thread!

I've had my Panasonic TX-86PW200A for about 6 months, great television except for that annoying GREEN TINGE ON LEFT OF PEOPLES FACES.

I was beginning to think I was the only person in Australia with this problem on this television.

You might want to have a read of AVFORUM from the UK.

Our Panasonic TX-86PW200A is called a Panasonic PD30 over there.

In particular, look through this thread:

http://snipurl.com/dubt

Lets get this fixed!

Alex

Interesting reading. From one post:

"I've been looking at the "green edges" again on my 36PD30 and I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a software artefact - caused by the sharpening algorithms.

If you look at a green edge closely it's clear that there is not just a greenish tinge, but a distinct area of green pixels - particularly evident against more tanned skintones. Reducing the green push in the service menu makes this less noticeable but the underlying pixel colour is still green. I have also seen brown and red edges too - it depends on what the background colour is.

There's also some red and blue fringing on white objects away from the centre of the screen - but this is "merely" a convergence problem.

Maybe people who have this problem should start asking Panasonic for a firmware update. IMHO the dirty screen, convergence and colour purity problems are quality control issues that can be fixed by demanding as many exchanges as it takes to get a properly setup set. I don't think exchanging the set will cure my green edges."

Adrian,

Try receiving using the inbuild analog tuner a TV station. Minimise the colour to monochrome and tell me about any colour you see.

AlanH

Adrian,

Try receiving using the inbuild analog tuner a TV station. Minimise the colour to monochrome and tell me about any colour you see.

AlanH

The service guys all tried this - with the colour turned down there is no green edges at all.

The TV is going back for a full refund on Friday. From reading all the other threads (like those at http://www.avforums.com mentioned higher up in this thread) it seems like these widescreen Panasonic's ALL have the green problem to some extent. And as Panasonic wouldn't even consider giving me a replacement, I think they know there's a problem with ALL of them.

The TV is going back for a full refund on Friday. From reading all the other threads (like those at http://www.avforums.com mentioned higher up in this thread) it seems like these widescreen Panasonic's ALL have the green problem to some extent. And as Panasonic wouldn't even consider giving me a replacement, I think they know there's a problem with ALL of them.

Oh dear, thats not sounding good for me. I have the same TV as you and the same problem but I've never contacted Panasonic about it.

Couple of questions if you don't mind Alan:

Was it hard to get them to agree to a refund?

What 86cm CRT television could we buy for the same money?

thanks

Alex

Alex and others,

If there is no colour when the colour is turned off then it is not convergence or purity.

If it is happening on all sources including component, then the green edges are caused by a transistor (in the green amplifer) who's high frequency response is poor. Other possibilites in the same amplifer is poor joints on capacitors or the capacitors themselves.

AlanH

Alex and others,

If there is no colour when the colour is turned off then it is not convergence or purity.

If it is happening on all sources including component, then the green edges are caused by a transistor (in the green amplifer) who's high frequency response is poor. Other possibilites in the same amplifer is poor joints on capacitors or the capacitors themselves.

AlanH

That'd be great if you're right Alan.

The Panasonic is a great tv otherwise and I'd hate to need to return it for a refund (what to replace it with?)

I hope somebody from Panasonic reads these forums.

Alex