Get The Best Reception, Northern Wa

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me, we have recently had a new home in Geraldton WA built and for some reason we cannot pick up any of the available digital tv channels (ABC or SBS) on our digital receiver (despite having had no problem in our previous home). As it is a new home we have a brand new antenna/cabling and no problems with tv reception for the analogue signals, it just keeps telling me there is no digital signal available. I can see the transmission tower on the Moresby ranges from my home, and there is nothing in the way between my antenna and the tower. I have also checked the transmission coverage map and it says we are in a main coverage area.

Our Antenna is a Clipsal and looking at their brochure it looks like a 2ANCOMD14 (no idea if it's the basic or Wide Band version of this) and I have no idea what type of cabling the installers used as it was just part of the house package. Any ideas on why we may not be able to receive signal and what we may have to do in order to get it?

Booklet,

The antenna you have is the correct one for you. The most likely cause is the signal is too strong. Go to a electronics store and buy an attenuator for a few dollars. Plug it in between the flylead and the antenna input to the receiver. Then do a scan for the digital channels.

AlanH

Thanks for that vk6xlr.....would pm you but a new user and it wont let me use that feature yet. Will try again in a few days :)

Thanks Alanh I will also try as you suggested and see how I go.

Tried to PM you too, but the system wont let me.

You may or may not have the correct antenna. It depends where abouts in Gero you are. Conditions are rather variable.

I deal with this on a daily basis, so it's easy to help you. People NOT in our area can only GUESS what's needed.

You'll probably even come to our store when you go to buy the attenuators :)

vk6xlr,

My recommendation is no guess.

I have been to Gero and know were the transmitters are. I also know that when commercial digital TV starts there will be no VHF transmissions. See the transmitter link on the first post.

The poster also says he has line of sight which is why it is likely that he has too much signal particularly since the analog signals are good.

Brooklet,

You will not be able to use messager until you have 5 posts.

Alanh

Just to add some more info and use up the 5 posts

I am in the Parkfalls area so right on the Moresby ranges where the transmitters are and can actuallly see them, they are only a couple of kms away at most.

I suspect the signal is in fact quite strong as we have beautiful analogue reception here with no amplifier needed for 4 tv points in the house. I am going to try my laptop digital receiver with its crappy antenna and see if it gets a signal just to confirm there is a good digital signal here and see what happens

Oh by the way I did go looking for an attenuator today and after a couple of trys found someone who could get one, but didn't have any in the shop (apparently only with their repair men in the vans) but was then told I needed to know what strength attenuator to get and needed them to come out and measure the signal before they could give me one??

vk6xlr,

My recommendation is no guess.

Bullshit. You're an armchair amateur that has to have a say on everything!

You have failed many times when asked to state your expertise and qualifications!

I deal with Geraldton TV EVERY day, so I DO know what I'm on about.

VK6xlr,

Interesting that Brooklet's laptop with their tiny antenna has a very strong signal!

For a start I have a full amateur licence and have come from the professional side of the TV & Radio industry.

I have solved reception problems which are much worse than this.

AlanH

For a start I have a full amateur licence and have come from the professional side of the TV & Radio industry.

Neither of which prove a thing. For all we know, you could have been just a presenter.

I too have a full amateur licence, big deal.

Local knowledge and experience goes along way. I've spoken with brooket and we'll sort the problem soon.

I too have a full amateur licence

+1, which means I must be part way towards offering qualified advice about things technical on this forum :D :D :D

Local knowledge and experience goes along way. I've spoken with brooket and we'll sort the problem soon.

Be interested in what you find.

• 1 year later...
Guest walterharris

Welcome. The forum needs more hexheaders. It is up to us to add a modicum of decorum to this otherwise unseemly affair. I saw the pic of your ride over on the hexhead forum; very nice.

• 2 months later...

By the way I finally got to the bottom of my problem, the digital tuner on my PVR isn't working. I can receive DTV on other set top boxes at my place. Now to fix the PVR, my research shows if I just replace a Capacitor it should work....a common problem with the Panasonice DMR-EX85 it seems....Now we just have to wait and see when we finally get any commercial stations on DTV here in Geraldton, I wont hold my breath ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...